[FM09] I Want More! - Dave Azzopardi

DaveAzzopardi

I was watching the Champions League final replay a week after the actual final. United versus Chelsea was the game. I didn't mind United myself, brilliant team. Fergie has a football brain, Ronaldo, Rooney. How can you tell they were gonna be this awesome? I had just retired from football myself. I was only 30 but with tons of injuries I was forced to retire. I now wanted to manage and I would have been one of the youngest in England at this age. I supported Wanderers. Wolverhampton that it. I played for them in half of my career and in the other half I had won the FA Cup with Arsenal and also played for Barca. I was known as a 'wonderkid' (not being big headed at all). I had many ups and downs but one of the hardest things to choose was the nation I was representing. Malta, where i was born, or England where I have lived. I was somehow persuaded to pick England and managed to get 45 caps and 11 goals for them. Great times.

Anyway, the season had finished and a few managers had left their clubs etc. One of the many clubs managerless were Premier League hopefuls Blackburn. I thought to myself, 'what am I kidding? I am going for it.' The next morning I got out of my bed, got dressed and rushed out of my penthouse into my Audi. I went to Ewood Park to pick up my application form. Only to see Mr. Alex McLeish there. I chuckled to myself saying I will never get this.

As I hit home I filled in the form and sent it off.

A day later I was watching Sky Sports News and it had that breaking news thing come across the screen. To my shock it said Alex McLeish was made the new manager. What? How? No WAY!

I switched off the TV in anger and had a long power nap. As I woke up I saw I had 17 new text messages.

Why was Arsene Wenger, Steve Bull, Thierry Henry and Matt Jarvis texting me for?

Many of them saying something along the lines of, 'Wel Dun m8.'

What is this about?

I switched on my 56'' plasma to watch SSN again. My mouth was wide open. They were showing videos of me as a player with a line across the bottom saying 'Azzopardi new Blackburn boss'

My phone started to vibrate and it was the Blackburn chairman John Williams.

'Seen it then son?'

'Y-ye-yes' I replied.

The conversation went deep on until late. But. hey ho, I was the new manager at Ewood Park!

Archived