Return of Stéphane Henchoz - FM 11 Liverpool

Becksmania

Carroll's magic

Next up it’s Magpies at home. I was thankful that their chairman has nothing to do with me as he changes managers like his clothes. Kuyt and Lucas came back in for Cole and Poulsen, with the impressive Walker continuing at right-back. Obviously, the dangerman was the new England striker Andy Carroll and Sammy Lee was briefing the defenders on how to cope with his threat both in the air and on the ground.

We have been starting our games well and this game was the same. On the 6th minute, Babel puts in a great cross from the left wing and Gerrard was on hand to tuck home. Brilliant run from the captain. We dominated the game from then on but unfortunately, against the run of play, Andy Carroll broke the off-side trap to power past Reina for the equalizer. We went into the break 1-1.

Gerrard was excellent in the second period but we were unable to find a way through. Lukaku was thrown on for Ruud and Jovanovic was on for Babel. Cole was also brought on for Kuyt in the last ten minutes. However it was not to be, we were held 1-1 at home despite them having just 2 shots all day. On a sour note, United overtook us in the league table.

Liverpool 1 (Gerrard 6)

Newcastle 1 (Carroll 32)

4-4-2: Reina; Walker, Carragher, Agger, Konchesky; Kuyt (Cole), Lucas, Gerrard, Babel (Jovanovic); Torres, Ruud (Lukaku)

Hostile Turkey

Next up was Galatasaray away in the Europa League. Ali Sami Yen is one of the most hostile footballing grounds and I was expecting a very rowdy reception. I was trying to shift the players’ focus back to football by reminding them of the painful defeat earlier at Anfield. I was determined to set the record straight and thus I had to put out my strongest 11. Kyle Walker was looking lethargic in training and I had to shift Carragher to right-back and bring Skrtel back into the starting 11 after his long injury lay-off.

“I hope you have a bad game later,” I joked as I bumped into Kewell in the tunnel. He will be playing on the right of a front three.

Both sides started brightly. On 15th minute, Galatasaray was reduced to ten men after their defender was ruled to be the last man following a foul. From then on, we went on to dominate the game with Galatasaray playing on the counter. With the crowd fully behind them, they were defending bravely. They also had luck on their side as we hit the bar on 3 occasions with efforts from Babel and Lukaku. The game looked to be heading for a 0-0 draw.

I was waiting for that moment of brilliance from somewhere to win us the game and it finally came from that man Babel. The much maligned winger from Holland never really looked settled from his time in Liverpool. To be fair he wasn’t given his run of games and I was prepared to give him that as he always had the ability and he was working hard in training. With a sublime chip, the goalkeeper was finally beaten on the 84th minute. On 88th minute, Kuyt made sure that the 3 points were surely in the bag with a great finish across the keeper after beating the off-side trap.

Galatasaray 0

Liverpool 2 (Babel 84, Kuyt 88)

4-4-2: Reina; Carragher, Skrtel (Hodson), Agger, Konchesky; Kuyt, Lucas, Gerrard (Cole), Babel ;Torres, Ruud (Lukaku)

With this win, we qualified for the next round.

Revenge was certainly sweet.

Lukaku’s the saviour

The players were ecstatic after a brilliant win at Galatasaray. It was back to Premier League action again and it was West Brom at home next. After a long trip back from Turkey, I was forced to make a couple of change to freshen the team up. Kyle Walker was brought back into the team, Wilson starts at left-back, Carragher and Agger completes the back 4.

We labored throughout the first half, with both sides having decent chances of grabbing the lead. I was concerned about how unconvincing we were looking at Anfield and I guess it was due to the mid-week trips to and fro Turkey. We continued to struggle for the second period and I knew I had to do something to change the match. I threw on Jovanovic, Babel and Lukaku for Kuyt, Cole and Ruud all at one go and it was the last throw of the dice really. I did not want to draw a second home game in a row.

The sudden injection of pace was too much for West Brom and we took the lead on the 86th minute through Lukaku. Jovanovic swung a great ball in from the right and the giant was on hand to glance the ball into the top corner. Both were staking their claims for a place in the starting 11. Anfield roared in approval, I was relieved. We got the 3 points.

Liverpool 1 (Lukaku 86)

West Brom 0

4-4-2: Reina; Walker, Carragher, Agger, Wilson; Kuyt (Jovanovic), Lucas, Gerrard, Cole (Babel); Torres, Ruud (Lukaku)

And we were top again after Bolton held Man United to a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford.

Lukaku’s Rise to Prominence

It was that time of the year for both the Liverpool and Everton fans again. I have always been taken aback by the atmosphere at Goodison Park with the fans very close to the pitch. As usual, the roar that greeted the players was deafening. Lukaku, having grabbed the all important winner last game, was preferred ahead of Ruud. It was impossible to leave out the up and coming 17-year-old.

Standing at 190cm tall, Lukaku is blessed with an incredible physique and it’s no surprise that his footballing idol is that targetman from London, Didier Drogba. With a cultured left-foot and tremendous composure, Lukaku loves playing with his back to goal and enjoys lobbing goalkeepers. This derby was going to be his biggest game in his career so far and I was hoping that he could take this opportunity by storm.

And what a start it was for him. Gerrard was released by Lucas down the left and he squared the ball to an unmarked Lukaku, who slotted home with his usual composure. My players went wild with their celebrations. “Calm down, calm down!” Sammy Lee was trying to make sure that the players stick to their tasks despite the fantastic start. I could sense the growing frustration from the Everton players as they began to get more aggressive with their tackles. Yellow cards were given in a flourish and inevitably, Everton soon had Lucas Licht sent off for one over-the-top challenge.

Despite being a man down, Everton continued to push on and got their rewards on the 29th minute. Kuyt was penalized in the area while defending a corner and Everton has their penalty. Cahill stepped up and Reina beat the ball away. While I was jumping on the touchline in joy, the referee awarded another penalty following an Agger foul right after the first penalty save. This time round, Jags stepped up and tucked away the penalty with no mistake. It was back to square one.

After the second half kick-off, on the 53rd minute, we were ahead again. Howard fumbled Babel’s hopeful shot and it fell nicely in Lukaku’s path. He tucked away the chance with conviction and ran straight towards the Liverpool fans. He was soon becoming a crowd favourite. Everton continued to threaten at set-pieces with Cahill and Felliani being a handful. We defended with fantastic courage and managed to hang on for an all important 3 points.

Everton 1 (Jagielka pen 32)

Liverpool 2 (Lukaku 7, 53)

4-4-2: Reina; Walker, Skrtel (Hodson), Agger (Wilson), Konchesky; Kuyt , Lucas, Gerrard, Babel; Torres, Lukaku (Poulsen)

16 Dec 2010 – Youngsters fail to impress

With top spot sealed in the Europa League, I was ready to give my up and coming youngsters another chance to impress against Dinamo Buc. at home. They didn’t perform well in their Carling Cup defeat against Q.P.R, and most of them were delighted to be given another chance.

Young English keeper Smithies, Brazilian center back Toloi, English midfield schemer Shelvey and young French striker Ngog were set for starts. Ruud will captain a hugely inexperienced side at Anfield.

Dinamo Buc. were ready to exploit my side’s inexperience and they came out flying, threatening to open the scoring at set-pieces. However, it was us who took the lead against the run of play.

Ruud sprayed a superb cross-field ball to Ngog, who finished with aplomb. Unfortunately, he had to be taken off 10 minutes later for an injury and was unable to add to his tally. Brazilian winger Lucas (Not the DMC Lucas) was brought on and Jovanovic was pushed up to play alongside Ruud.

We were unable to build on our lead and Dinamo continued to threaten. Finally, on the 37th minute, they equalized with a superb passing move. Our inexperience was becoming increasingly evident.

Eventually, we played out a dull second 45 and ended the match with the score tied at 1-1. The young players got another match under their belts. We were through to the knock-out rounds and our next opponent will be Rangers. It will be an interesting match-up that will be dubbed as the ‘Clash of Britain’.

Liverpool 1 (Ngog 13)

Dinamo Buc. 1 (Niculae 37)

4-4-2: Smithies; Walker, Toloi, Agger, Aurelio; Cole (Rodriguez), Poulsen, Shelvey (Cairney), Jovanovic; Ngog (Lucas), Ruud

Unlucky against Bucharest mate! Not a bad result from a such a young up and coming team

the youngsters looked good but are struggling to win games at the moment :(

19 Dec 2010 – 1st defeat

The next few games in the Premier League could shape our season. Arsenal away, Man. City at home followed by Stoke at home. It was vital that we pick up as many points as we can with Man United clicking into top gear during the turn of year as usual.

I fielded my strongest 11 for the big test at Emirates. (I had to do that) Carragher will play with Skrtel in central defence with Agger suffering from a bit of stomach upset. Cole came in for Babel and Lukaku keeps his place due to his brilliant goal-scoring form.

Arsenal is probably the best side in England passing in triangles with creativity and they did just that on the 28th minute, with Van Persie finishing off a fantastic move involving Fabregas and Arshavin.

All the talk of Arsenal needing a better player in goal was proven to be correct when Alumnia gifted the equalizer. Torres capitalized on a bad kick and slotted home with ease. We went in leveled at half-time.

Arsenal came out fired up and were all over us. We couldn’t cope with their pace and speed of passing. Finally on the 81st minute, we fell behind to a shot 20 yards out from their center-back Vermaelen. In response, I sent on Ruud for Lukaku and rallied the team forward in search of an equalizer. However it was not to be. It was our first loss of the season.

Arsenal 2 (Van Persie 28, Vermaelen 81)

Liverpool 1 (Torres 37)

4-4-2: Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Konchesky; Kuyt (Jovanovic), Lucas, Gerrard, Cole (Babel); Torres, Lukaku (Ruud)

22 Dec 2010 - Matching the Cash

If there’s a match that I want to win badly it’s this one against the cash-rich Man City side. Firstly, I have never been in approval of the crazy cash injection into the market by rich owners. The transfer fees get unbelievably high and that puts unnecessary pressure on the players. I would like to beat them and send out this message: Money is not everything.

Secondly, I would like the team to bounce back with a win after their first defeat in the league at the Emirates Stadium. Both Agger and Babel return to the starting 11, Lukaku continues his run in the side ahead of Ruud.

Two of our proudest academy graduates, Gerrard and Carragher combined to give us the lead. Carragher continues his fine goal-scoring form by nodding in a Gerrard corner at the backpost. Who says we need money to buy success? (;

I was speaking too early. Manchester traitor, Carlos Tevez equalized for the Citizens with a well-taken goal past Pepe Reina on the 28th minute. To make matters worse, Torres had to be taken off for Ruud as he picked up a knock. We went in for the half-time team talk with the score locked at one all.

The bad luck continued when Gerrard fouled a City player in the box. Tevez stepped up to tuck away his 2nd goal of the game. We were staring at a possible 2nd defeat in a row.

Thankfully, on the 87th minute, the referee awarded a second penalty of the day, this time to us and Ruud stepped up calmly to slot past Shay Given. We avoided a second straight defeat. I had to be pleased as it felt more like a point gained rather than 3 points lost.

Liverpool 2 (Carragher 16, Ruud pen 88)

Man City 2 (Tevez 27, pen 51)

4-4-2: Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Konchesky (Wilson); Kuyt (Cole), Lucas, Gerrard, Babel; Torres, Lukaku (Ruud)

28 Dec 2010 - Back to winning ways

Dear diary,

With a draw and a loss in our last two games, we were overtaken by Man United in the league once more. On the brighter side of things, those two games were against tough opponents in Arsenal and the lucky club with sugar daddies (Yes Man City). I know I shouldn’t be feeling too disappointed. Looking at the league table, we are sitting prettily in 2nd place behind United on 44 points, played 19, won 13, drawn 5 and lost 1, scoring 41 and conceding 9. I was proud of the fact that we are currently the best team defensively half-way through the league as successful managers like Mourinho and Ferguson will tell you that success must be built on a solid defensive foundation. Before the season started, no one expected us to be this high up the table at this point, especially so after last season’s disaster. So again, I had to be happy with my team’s achievements so far.

We welcome Stoke City to Anfield today, and the players looked fired up for this one. They were all determined to get back to winning ways after the recent winless run. I picked Lukaku ahead of Ruud simply because we are facing a very big and powerful side in Stoke City. As usual, we worked hard on defending those Delap rockets in our last training session. I told my left sided players to double up on that particular right winger who once played for us. When given space, Pennant can really whip those quality balls in for Jones and Walters.

I watched the players depart the great Anfield tunnel and two centre forwards in particular caught my eye. Kenwyne Jones and Lukaku looked scarily alike as they both lined up at the end of their respective lines. As usual, we came out flying when playing at home and took the lead on the 4th minute. Torres took on Andy Wilkinson and beat him for pace before squaring the ball perfectly for Ryan Babel who couldn’t miss. That was his 5th in all competitions in a very productive season so far. We continued to run the show and Lukaku went on a powerful run at Stoke’s defence close to half-time and almost scored a perfect solo goal.

We ended the 1st half 1-0 up and although we were all over them, we couldn’t get a decisive 2nd goal. I told my players to keep going during our half-time team talk and they responded by hitting the frame of the goal twice in the opening 5 minutes of the second period. Amazingly, Stoke took off Pennant on the hour mark despite him being their biggest threat alongside Jones up till then. We continued pressing and finally got our rewards on the 72nd minute, with Torres breaking the offside trap before rounding Thomas Sorenson and scoring comfortably. 3 points were in the bag.

Liverpool 2 (Babel 4, Torres 72)

Stoke 0

4-4-2: Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Konchesky (Wilson); Kuyt, Lucas, Gerrard (Cole), Babel; Torres, Lukaku (Ruud)

1 Jan 2011 – Happy New Year

Dear diary,

It’s the start of year 2011. The first half of 2010 was absolutely horrible for Liverpool after finishing outside the top 4 last season. Personally though, it has been a fantastic year for me after being handed my dream job since my retirement from football.

I should say 2010 ended on a good note for everyone associated with the club with the team sitting on 2nd place behind Manchester United halfway through the season. I was also very proud of the fact that both Gerrard and Torres made it to the World Team of the Year first eleven. Reina amazingly won the European Goalkeeper of the Year award but was only selected among the substitutes behind Casillas in the World Best 11. Ramos, Pique, Vidic, Marcelo, Messi, Xavi, Arshavin and Cassano complete the starting lineup.

Meanwhile, it is that time of the year again and the January transfer window opens. I will have some work to do fending off interests in a few of my key players who have done well for me so far. For instance, German giants Bayern Munich is rumoured to be interested in our elegant ball-playing center-back Agger. I was happy with the squad and unless the right player comes along, I won’t be doing any sort of business.

With Aurelio not getting any younger and us a bit short at left-back, it makes perfect sense that I offer young Insua a new contract extension. He is currently out on loan at Galatasaray and would be outta contract come the end of season. My scout has brought back good reviews and I was prepared to give him another shot next season and hopefully he accepts our contract offer.

Sevilla are said to be interested in signing both our transfer-listed right-back Emmanuel Mendy and first choice midfield destroyer Lucas. I expressed my willingness to listen to any reasonable offers for Mendy but will definitely keep hold of Lucas unless they make a sizeable bid. I don’t expect them to break the bank to sign him though.

We hope to start off 2011 in style with a game against the Hammers on the first day of the new year. Avram Grant has stabilized the ship after a relegation battle last season, with his team sitting comfortably in mid-table. It will no doubt be an intriguing battle at the hostile Upton Park.

Looking good for the most part. I'm still baffled as to why you've chosen to use Konchesky over Aurelio, but that's just me. I also would have personally sold off Babel from the get go and got a nice 3.5 mil from that deal to use elsewhere. Perhaps during your Jan. transfer window you can look into Edin Hazard. He's a ver versatile midfielder capable of playing on both wings and in the center, he also makes a very good striker if you train him right.

Good luck on the rest of your season though, mate. You are already doing much better than Hodgson can even dream of right now.

Cheers!

Looking good for the most part. I'm still baffled as to why you've chosen to use Konchesky over Aurelio, but that's just me. I also would have personally sold off Babel from the get go and got a nice 3.5 mil from that deal to use elsewhere. Perhaps during your Jan. transfer window you can look into Edin Hazard. He's a ver versatile midfielder capable of playing on both wings and in the center, he also makes a very good striker if you train him right.

Good luck on the rest of your season though, mate. You are already doing much better than Hodgson can even dream of right now.

Cheers!

Thank you! Aurelio doesn't look very impressive physically! What's more, Konchesky is English! \o/ Babel is playing very well for me at left wing with 6 goals, 5 assists and 3 MOMs :D Do drop by more often!

Great start to 2011

Eager to get off to a good start to the year, I was happy to be able to name 2 of the newly crowned World Best 11 in my starting lineup. Captain Marvel Stevie G has been in inspiring form for us and has 4 goals and 11 assists in 14 starts while Torres has 13 goals and 8 assists in 20 starts. Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Konchesky, Kuyt, Lucas, Babel and Van Nistelrooy completes my starting lineup at Upton Park.

"Lads, we are currently 2 points behind United and we have to keep winning our games to keep up with their good form. You know we have a good chance when the opposition's lone striker has not started any games so far this season. Shackle him early and do not allow him to settle. Go out and show the rest we mean business in this year's title race." With that, i sent the team out of the dressing room.

We did not start well and the home side dominated possession for the first fifteen minutes. Against the run of play, we created the first clear-cut chance of the game. Gerrard swung in a free-kick from the right-wing and Carragher outjumps Upson to meet the ball cleanly. With the ball heading for the top corner, Green flung himself and managed to keep the ball out with his finger tips, showing that he's back to his best after the horror show at the world cup 6 months ago.

Five minutes later, Glenn Johnson booted a long hopeful ball over the Hammers' defence. Torres managed to outpace and outmuscle Upson to find himself one-on-one with Green, who was quick off the line. With a deft flick of his right boot, he managed to lift the ball over the on-rushing keeper but fortunately for them and unfortunately for us, the ball bounced inches wide of the far post.

A couple of minutes later, we managed to catch their defence sleeping again with another ball over the top. This time it was Ruud on the end of it but very much unlike him, he shot straight at Green and we wasted another clear chance. The West Ham defenders were playing a very high line and we managed to hit them on the counter on a couple more occasions. Both Torres and Van Nistelrooy had one-on-ones once more but neither managed to find the net.

Football is a funny game. We failed to score from 4 one-on-ones with only the keeper to beat. Amazingly, we managed to open the scoring with all 11 West Ham players 'parked' in the box. This time from the left, Gerrard delivered another pinpoint set-piece into the danger area. Torres showed fantastic spring to tower above everyone to glance the ball in off the far post. It was a brilliant header from arguably the most complete striker in the world. We deservingly took the lead and managed to keep it till half-time.

During the half-time teamtalk, i reminded my strikers of the need to be more ruthless in front of goal or be prepared to pay for the misses. I expected West Ham to make a couple of changes as we were absolutely all over them in the first half. And they did by bringing on Piquionne and Dyer for Luis Boa Morte and young Stanislas to add more bite into their attack. I reminded my defence to keep an eye on them.

Piquionne showed his intent right at the start of the second half by taking a shot from 30 yards out and it went safely wide. Close to the hour mark, Zavon Hines, starting his first game of the season, spotted Reina off his line and tried an ambitious chip right outside the area and thankfully it floated over the bar. We were not looking as comfortable as we were in the first period and i immediately signalled to Gerrard to try and slow the game down and keep simple possession.

On the hour mark, we won a corner and Gerrard arrowed another perfect ball into the area. Like what he did the whole first half of the season, Carragher rose majestically above Scotty Parker to power the ball past Green into the net. Gerrard was fantastic with his set-piece delivery all afternoon and we open up a two-goal lead with another goal from the one club man Carragher. I proceeded back to the bench.

We continued to run the show and Ruud horse-face played a neat one-two with Torres before slotting the ball clinically past Green for his 10th of the season. That was some response from my strikers after my strong words during half-time and their neat exchanges left the Hammers' defence static. We were three up with twenty minutes to go and as usual, i started to ring the changes with the points safely the bag. Walker, Cole and Lukaku were brought on for Johnson, Gerrard and Van Nistelrooy respectively.

Just before the game ended, we got our hat-trick of set-piece goals when Carragher nodded a deep corner back into the danger zone and Agger reacted the quickest to nod the ball in for our fourth goal. Avram Grant was disgusted with his side's defending. We ended 4-0 winners. It was a great away performance by the lads.

West Ham 0

Liverpool 4 (Torres 39, Carragher 60, Van Nistelrooy 69, Agger 89)

Archived