4-3-3 struggling against 4-3-1-2

Hello;

I am facing a tactical challenge and would like to have ideas on it.

I am currently using a 4-3-3 formation with a few variations (with ot without wingers), but my assistant manager keeps telling me that I struggle when playing teams with a 4-3-1-2 formation.

In real life, the advantage teams have with 4-3-1-2 regard the position of the "1" which flows free without proper marking from defenders or midfielders. Theoretically, bringing a midfielder deeper to mark him would be the counterneasure (i.e. a 4-3-3 with a holding midfielder). However, not even bringing a man from attack to play behind the three midfielders (a 4-1-3-2 with a holding midfielder behind the midfield line) is being effective and despite having a solid defence properly set, this "1" (a trequartista as Italians cal him) is containing the leaks.

Is there anyone with lights to this problem?

Cheers

I use the 4312 myself a lot, and the best thing about it is the numerical advantage you get in the centre of midfield, almost always. the 4312 has 4 centrally placed midfielders and if you play a posession game you will struggle as you will not have any free players in the centre to dictate the play. In your 433 your outside CMs will mark their outside CMs and your central mid will either mark their AM or CM, and whichever one he is not marking will dictate the game for your opponent. Switching to 4132 might work but you'll have to play direct, bypassing the congested midfield and move the ball quickly to the flanks where the 4312 is weak. Hope it wirks for you.

Archived