Life of a Newgen: Martijn Ooms

MGoldman

Football Manager is a game centered around the life of the manager, but what about the lives of his players? This story is about just one player, a newgen created in June 2011 of my FM 11 save. Chronicling the trials, tribulations, and successes of his entire career from the moment he enters the database until his retirement, this is the story of newgen Martijn Ooms. It is a testament to how truly deep the world of FM is and how every member of its database has his own story, even if we hardly realize it.

NOTE: The names, events, and characters depicted have been drawn from the save with faithfulness and accuracy. His career has not been altered and I have not coached him.

June 20, 2011

The Beginning

The great Johan Cruyff once said, “every disadvantage has an advantage.” While my hero may have been talking about the game he loved, his words transcend the world of sport and aptly describe my own life as an aspiring footballer. Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Martijn Ooms. I am 16 years old and a member of Liverpool Football Club. This is my story.

My journey begins far from the hallowed gates of Anfield. I was born in Hulst, a small city in southwestern Netherlands. It’s tight-knit, rural community of less than 30,000 people, surrounded by medieval fortifications that separate the town from its natural environment. More importantly, it is football-mad. The game is woven into the cultural tapestry of Hulst, where football is very much an obsession. It is the same obsession that has led me from my quiet Dutch town to the football mecca of Liverpool.

Like all children in Hulst, I began playing ball in the schoolyard. I realized I might be a bit special when I scored 31 goals in 10 games during my first youth season. With practice and dedication, I soon became the best youth footballer in Hulst, then the best in the region. Constantly pushing myself against better opponents, I attended a prestigious youth football showcase when I was 14. Some of the best Dutch talents were there and I was proud just to be attending. A week later, the phone rang at my home in Hulst. A scout for Liverpool had attended the event and slipped my name to Steve Cooper, Liverpool’s head youth coach. I was told the club were happy how their investment in Spanish talent had panned out and that they were now trying to tap the Dutch market on young talent. Before I knew it, I was on a plane from Amsterdam to Liverpool, trialing with one of the biggest clubs on the planet. Two weeks later, I was a proud member of that club: Liverpool FC.

I’m now very far away from Hulst, both in geography and in spirit. The pace of life is much quicker here and football is a business. It is sink-or-swim, but thankfully I’ve channeled my inner Michael Phelps. A strong season for the U-15s has put me in high regard at the academy. I’m only 16, but the expectations can be brutal for a player my age. When someone makes a teammate comparison and says I’m a “similar type of player to Fernando Torres”, what are they saying exactly? Two years ago, I was playing youth games in my small town. How is that similar to a European and World champion? Perhaps it’s only because I am somewhat volatile and confrontational, but it bothers me when so-called football “insiders” make these claims. I’ll be Fernando Torres when I’m Fernando Torres, not a second sooner.

Personally, I find myself a far different player from “El Nino”. I have a very good first touch (14) and dribble well (14) for my age, which I credit to my strong Dutch upbringing. I don’t have his blazing speed (8), but at 6’2” and a solid frame, at least I have a body ready for professional football. I’ve been told my height, strength (13), jumping (14), and heading (16) make me an exceptional aerial threat at my age. However, my best attributes are my bravery (18) and workrate (17). It is no coincidence given my life circumstances. I’ve left the life I knew, taken a gamble, and now chase fame, fortune, and success in a strange new city. If that isn’t bravery, I don’t know what is. If I fail, it’s because I’m a junk striker who can’t finish (10). It won’t be for lack of effort or determination (14).

So that’s me in a nutshell. When people look at me they see all sorts of disadvantages. They said “he’s a good lad, but settling in away from home may be tough.” I say Liverpool is my home…now I have two. They say “he doesn’t have the finishing to play at the top level.” I say it’s a good thing I have work ethic then, so give me a bag of balls and an hour after training to fix it. When people say “he’ll never be as fast as Torres”, I say, one day, I won’t need to be. Disadvantages are everywhere, so are advantages. It’s less than two months until our first U-18 game of the season and I can’t wait to turn Johan’s words into goals.

Now then, allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Martijn Ooms. I am 16 years old and a member of Liverpool Football Club. This is my story.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived