what to do if ass man says...

I managed to figure how to fix some stuff during the match, but few things am still not sure about.. what is the best thing to do if ass man says:

- we are not connecting crosses. is it a fault of my wingers or strickers?

- our passing is shocking today. what to do to improve passing?

- our tackling is a disappointment. tackle harder? what about fouls and yellow cards?

- xxx used to close down more/less opponents than asked today.

thanks for advice.

1. Either, or both. Or maybe the DCs are taller and stronger than your strikers. I'd drill crosses or work the ball into the box.

2. Problem could be tempo too high, oppos pressing or your players are too far apart. I'd start by playing narrower. If that doesn't work, push up or 'take it easy'.

3. Yes, tackle harder. If you don't want to risk cards, ignore him.

4. You can use the classic slider to change indiv player settings re. closing down, but I never do that. I want my players to adapt to my tactics, not the other way round, so I'm happy for my assman to tell me these things and ignore him.

I agree with phnompenhandy's advice. I'd also add the following:

If your tackling game isn't working and hard tackling doesn't improve matters, take it out of your play altogether. Switch to a positional style of defence. Stand off, easy tackle and reduce mentality a little. Force the opposition to try and play around you, rather than have the easy option of skipping past a poor tackle.

If a player is unused to your instructions, he's adapting. You will find that if he's used to closing down more, he may be prone to lapses and charge an opponent, despite your wish for him to wait for the right moment. It's not something that you necessarily have to change anything for, but your tactical plan could be undone by this player in a tight match.

Archived