4 hatricks in one match!! all from the same player!!!

What about VanHorseface and Dwight Yorke? Strong big lads.

Look I don't hate him> I just don't rate him as a player.

I've said all I need to say. You're entilted to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

P.s. I don't care when the effigy went up - he received death threats and everything. England fans hated him.

Yes normally I'd agree. You don't rate him fair enough. In the grand scheme of things neither do I, but you have basically said his whole career was because he could kick a ball far (most 20 odd year old men can do that) and he took a half decent free kick. I'm sorry but the following list of honours would disagree:-

Manchester United

Premier League (6): 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03

FA Cup (2): 1995–96, 1998–99

UEFA Champions League (1): 1998–99

Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999

FA Community Shield (4): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997

FA Youth Cup (1): 1992

Real Madrid

La Liga (1): 2006–07

Supercopa de España (1): 2003

Los Angeles Galaxy

MLS Western Conference (2): 2009, 2010

MLS Supporters' Shield (1): 2010

England

Tournoi de France: 1997

FA Summer Tournament: 2004

Individual

Premier League Player of the Month (1): August 1996

PFA Young Player of the Year (1): 1996–97

Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (1): 1996–97

UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 1998–99

UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year (1): 1998–99

Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02):

Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade

Goal of the Decade (vs. Wimbledon, 17 August 1996)

BBC Sports Personality of the Year (1): 2001

FIFA 100[164]

ESPY Award – Best Male Soccer Player: 2004[165]

ESPY Award – Best MLS Player: 2008[165]

English Football Hall of Fame: 2008

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award (1): 2010

Orders and special awards

Officer in the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II: 2003

United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Goodwill Ambassador (2005–present)

"Britain's Greatest Ambassador" – 100 Greatest Britons awards[167]

The Celebrity 100, number 15 – Forbes, 2007[168]

Number 1 on the list of the 40 most influential men under the age of 40 in the UK[169] – Arena, 2007

Time 100: 2008

Your opinion is like having an opinion that the Nazi were actually a positive influence on the Jews Faith...............it's complete and utter rubbish! No matter what you say.

He was stocky. Strong. Messi is a big player, even though he's a midget. He has girth.

We can do this merri-go-round all day. I have not and never will rate Beckham as one of the greats. Any time I saw him play (and that's lots) I never saw him add any depth to the game. You hear the commentator saying "OOOH what a pass" United lose the ball and the commentator waffles on about the pass. And then an opposition player does the same, cross field pass, they lose the ball and the commentator goes "not a good ball". It was a joke. He was getting applauded for nothing.

Like everytime Rooney gets the ball the commentator goes "ROOOONEY" and he's on the half way line. It's absolutely mental how English fans think of their own players.

Beckham gets the ball at Right Back and the commentator goes "Oh HERES BECKHAM... BECKHAM... BECKHAM" then he loses it and the commentator goes "oh he was unlucky" and he didn't do anything except try to run with the ball.

I don't think he reinvented crossing the ball. Or anything of the sort. It's completely crazy talk. There are plenty of players that do that. It's not new, it's not exciting, it's just football.

Have you now lost the ability to read?

I never said he invented the cross.

He re-invented the cross field pass. The cross field pass is a very dangerous pass, if it's cut out it will often lead to strong counter attacking opportunities for the opposition. In the 80's and 90's it was ball that was rarely played if not 100% nailed on. Beckham starting doing playing this ball when it didn't look on and managers would have kittens as they watched, but he would pull it off more often than not because of his staggering ability to strike a ball cleanly and accurately

Wow, some of these comments are quite staggering. Ive said it all along and i'll still say it now that Englands best chance of winning the last World Cup or anything was down to two players, but two players who hardly get a sniff. Thats Beckham and Crouch. First off theres Crouch. How the hell do you defend against him? He doesnt even have to jump and he will beat most defenders to heading the ball. He's one of if not the biggest threat England have of going forward yet he constantly gets overlooked. His record speaks for itself. Now this is where Beckham comes in. There is not one other player in the world that can supply pin point crosses to Couches head at any hight he wants it from anywhere on the pitch. Beckham doesnt need to go running up the wing like a lunatic. He has never done that and he never will do. Beckham can spot an early pass and drop it on a pin head before the defence has even had time to blink. Thats why he's good. No wonder Arry Redknapp wanted Beckham so much. People mention Lennon but even Arry wanted Beckham that much and probably because he wanted to do the exact same thing that ive mentioned. Get Crouch in the box and have Beckham put the ball on his head all day long. They would be laughing.

What about VanHorseface and Dwight Yorke? Strong big lads.

Look I don't hate him> I just don't rate him as a player.

Neither held up the ball. Yorke didn't score lots of headers - Cole did, though. But Becks's crosses were a mixture of low ones and high ones depending on the situation. Becks could do both really well.

You're making it seem like United played big long hoofs up front to the big man and used Yorke/Cole/van Nistelrooy as a targetman. Wrong! Yorke and Cole made the most of any good cross from Giggs and Beckham (and most of them were good), and van Nistelrooy ate anything up which happened to be in the penalty box - but we never used any of them as targetmen. van Nistelrooy was a poacher, while Yorke and Cole were orthodox centre-forwards. van Nistelrooy could of course hold up the ball but that wasn't his real strength - his strength was finishing.

Not that it matters. Even targetmen require excellent delivery - Becks could provide excellent crossing. Like I said, Richardson never got as many assists as Beckham, implying that Beckham's crossing was not average at all. He was brilliant at it.

He was stocky. Strong. Messi is a big player, even though he's a midget. He has girth.

We can do this merri-go-round all day. I have not and never will rate Beckham as one of the greats. Any time I saw him play (and that's lots) I never saw him add any depth to the game. You hear the commentator saying "OOOH what a pass" United lose the ball and the commentator waffles on about the pass. And then an opposition player does the same, cross field pass, they lose the ball and the commentator goes "not a good ball". It was a joke. He was getting applauded for nothing.

Like everytime Rooney gets the ball the commentator goes "ROOOONEY" and he's on the half way line. It's absolutely mental how English fans think of their own players.

Beckham gets the ball at Right Back and the commentator goes "Oh HERES BECKHAM... BECKHAM... BECKHAM" then he loses it and the commentator goes "oh he was unlucky" and he didn't do anything except try to run with the ball.

I don't think he reinvented crossing the ball. Or anything of the sort. It's completely crazy talk. There are plenty of players that do that. It's not new, it's not exciting, it's just football.

So you are criticising him for not adding depth to his game and because the commentator goes over the top whenever Becks has the ball?

Seriously?

Firstly, Beckham was a very good player to begin with. As he got older, his set-pieces improved and he began linking really well with the rest of the team, becoming one of our most consistently-good players. Giggs flew down the wing while Beckham was planting stupidly-good crosses onto the heads and feet of strikers leading to goals.

As for commentators, we all know commentators go overboard whenever certain players get the ball, but you are letting it take away the fact that Beckham might, well, actually be playing well? You look at the game, not take commentators' words as gospel. I could rant about whenever a commentator goes GERRARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD whenever a shot goes miles wide, but that does not imply Gerrard is playing badly - he could be playing well.

The fact that commentators get excited is because Beckham can do something sublime, just like Rooney, and just like Gerrard. But if your opinion is based on how overrated he is in the media, then you are clearly not watching him in the most important circumstance - on the pitch.

But then again, with comments like "Money grabbing ****" and "VanHorseface", it's not like I'm expecting you to have watched Beckham without any preconceived ideas about him. His achievements and how he is praised in footballing terms worldwide contrast widely with your opinion that he is nothing but average - and in that circumstance, it looks like you are wrong - and everyone else is right.

How can you say you have seen him loads of times? From your Armchair?

Anyone who has an ounce of sense when it comes to football, and actually watching games, not on TV but at the ground will understand that Beckham is no way an average passer, finisher or Midfielder.

i have only read part of this thread and quite frankly its ridiculous and felt the need to chuck my two pence worth in. Gerrard as a better Free kick taker? You lot are off your heads.

Stop playing Fifa, Pro, FM whatever it is that keeps you locked up in your tissue laden room go to a game and actually start to understand what makes a great player. Because Beckham has every attribute. Ok then, not every attribute ( pace ) but 99.9999%

And yes you are entitled to your opinions, albeit absoloute rubbish.

Archived