AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and it'll be interesting to see if Yates, unburdened by lack of major achievement and buoyed by the absence of extreme failure, can build something given a little space. Managerial & squad stability wouldn't be the least welcome thing for the Bandits at this point.

I hope to see a 12-8 position finish and a cup run next season.

Another disappointing season, I can't say I expected anything else this time round though. I'm most gutted about the promising youngsters that were sold, and sold for low amounts considering their potential.

I think next season will be pretty much the same, lower end of the table and little in the way of excitement. I want to see a Bandits manager given a few seasons to steady the team and start to build something, unfortunately I don't want it to be this manager.

It looks like Man Utd are on the up again, a good league finish this season and they now have a decent reputation again. After all those years outside the Premiership it looks like they could be looking to mount a challenge again.

Talking about Manchester United turning things around after a few years in the Championship. Maybe looking at what allowed them to climb back to the top (board take over, great manager, excellent youngster coming through the academy...) would give us a hint as to what the Bandits need as I now don't have a clue anymore. We've been through 25 years or so in the EPL with a good 12-15 managers, there was a board take over back a decade ago or so, we had great prospects... and sold them... I'm depressed now, it really starts to feel like the Bandits will never win anything.

Great update as usual though Kip, I'm just gutted by what the update was.

I think the thing that originally started Man Utd's demise was their large loan debt from the start of the game. A couple of seasons with no silverware and no prize money saw them go into administration and eventually relegated. It wasn't until years later when their loan was paid off that they slowely started to climb again.

So in Man Utd's case I think it was mainly down to money, a problem the Bandits will never have. I also think Man Utd must have a good board tbh.

The board must have changed at least once since the game started though, else the chairman would be 150 years old or something ******** like that :)

Good point. Has the Bandits board ever changed though? I've been reding this thread since day one but have mental block about this. Have we had a new board are are the current board a bunch of coffin dodgers who refuse to die!

Good point. Has the Bandits board ever changed though? I've been reding this thread since day one but have mental block about this. Have we had a new board are are the current board a bunch of coffin dodgers who refuse to die!

iirc we did have a board take over and our current chairman is fairly young so we can't expect another one any time soon, unfortunately.

Sarcasm dully noted AB-forever ;)

I am so glad that anime has taken over most of my time, because it's much nicer to come back after almost 2 months and have 3 seasons done than sitting around, checking the thread every day and seeing no progress whatsoever... :)

If only the Bandits had the reputation, managerial talent, and chairman to be able to splash the cash on anyone as decent as those world beaters...

If only the Bandits had the reputation, managerial talent, and chairman to be able to splash the cash on anyone within 20 points of CA from those world beaters... :-/

Sack the board, sack the board...

I'm glad to see Messner hanging on to a second youth with yet another point of CA recovered, but that's probably his last hurrah. Rubio is already on a fairly steep way down... and de Lange was never a threat for a top spot anyway. Thankfully, there's a few youngsters who can carry on the fight, provided the club keeps them, but a bit too few. Not to mention some of the other positions... :-/

In any case, the reputation is dwindling, and is approaching relegation levels... another season or two like these last few, and we're gone. Let's hope the next manager (because the current one will likely get the sack this season) doesn't repeat the talent sales.

I daresay, even with the current players the Bandits could do much better, given a little stability. But the constant manager changes mean constant player changes, and there's no way for the squad to gel properly.

I remain cautiously optimistic, as the bad string of decisions has to end someday, and the finances will ensure any drop simply can't be too far down. But I wouldn't be too surprised if that drop was just around the corner.

Well, at least we have some real potential legends in the world beaters, with 3 players within spitting distance or at the very top, quite young, and looking the part. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the three develop their careers, and for how long they can keep it up.

Fools.

You need to be away two months to have a few updates waiting for you. Like I did. :p

So suffer like the rest with daily visits to the thread, pulling your hair out. :)

And in answer to the questions: Yes, there will be a new experiment with FM09. As for when exactly, I'll leave that to The Man himself to answer.

Because Kip uses external tools to check on the player CA and PA, any future experiment will have to wait until these tools are released by the third party publishers.

Didn't it take a couple of months before the excellent mini scout was released this year and a few more months after that for the equally impressive Genie to arrive? This could mean he will not start his 09 experiment until around February.

I am hoping that Kip has not lost interest in this experiment, but it must be a real pain in the backside to update this these days, never any exciting information to report and always holding on to the slim hope that this season will be the one where they win something.

Because Kip uses external tools to check on the player CA and PA, any future experiment will have to wait until these tools are released by the third party publishers.

Didn't it take a couple of months before the excellent mini scout was released this year and a few more months after that for the equally impressive Genie to arrive? This could mean he will not start his 09 experiment until around February.

I am hoping that Kip has not lost interest in this experiment, but it must be a real pain in the backside to update this these days, never any exciting information to report and always holding on to the slim hope that this season will be the one where they win something.

Good point about the scouting programs, I guess a lot depends on how much difference there is in the background database between 08 and 09 as to how quickly they will come out.

Re. your last paragraph... welcome to the joys of being a Spurs fan!

Hmm it's been nearly 6 weeks since the last update so I guess the Bandits have finally died, tis a great shame, hopefully Kip (or someone else if he's too busy) will repeat the experiment for FM09 and we can compare the results and inspect improvements in the Football Manager series, but I doubt I shall enjoy it quiet as much as I have done watching the 07 Bandits rise to prominence. Thank you for hours of reading entertainment though Kip, your work is much appreciated.

I'd imagine that as long as he can use Genie Scout with FM09 he will be starting his new experiment soon. This experiment was and is a great idea but the limit was reached, I don't think it'll get any better.

He already has some great ideas for the FM09 experiment, which should be a great experiment.

Genie never even got finished for fm08 i don't think, so i wouldn't imagine a fm09 one will be along shortly. Not sure if he would be able to use one of the others out there like miniscout, never used it so don't know what info it can give you.

Didn't Genie Scout become FM Scout, which is available for FM08?

no. well, not at least afaik. genie is its (his, Eugene's) own product.

and where the hell is Kip?!?! anybody sent a search party out yet?!?

Archived