AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been the greatest thread ever on these forums (and IMHO the best thread on all other forums in history of internet). Ending it like this would be like watching the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy and suddenly the end titles start scrolling the moment when Frodo and Sam finally reach the foot of Mount Doom.

Now let us have a proper ending and after that may the Bandits rest in well deserved peace!

I think it's obvious that real life is demanding all of kipfizh attention right now. But he's kept this up for so long and I don't think he is one to let things go without a proper conclusion. So I expect at least one final post from him, if only to tell us that this is the end of the experiment. Let's just wait patiently and get on with the rest of our lives in the meantime.

I only hope that he is healthy and well!

I think it's obvious that real life is demanding all of kipfizh attention right now. But he's kept this up for so long and I don't think he is one to let things go without a proper conclusion. So I expect at least one final post from him, if only to tell us that this is the end of the experiment. Let's just wait patiently and get on with the rest of our lives in the meantime.

I only hope that he is healthy and well!

This! I don't remember how much time I've waited for my Bandits fix to arrive before. Kip has shown us not only an AI experiment, but also how to tell an excellent story of a made-up team in a video game. His technique in writing, arranging the reports and managing all the "fan" hussle is outstanding in my eyes. We will have a last post I believe IF this is the end.

Another thing is, if you want a '09 version, better wait till february or something so that we can have at least some problems solved with the game by then. Just don't start pressuring the Master Story-teller from the first day of FM '09 :D

This! I don't remember how much time I've waited for my Bandits fix to arrive before. Kip has shown us not only an AI experiment, but also how to tell an excellent story of a made-up team in a video game. His technique in writing, arranging the reports and managing all the "fan" hussle is outstanding in my eyes. We will have a last post I believe IF this is the end.

Another thing is, if you want a '09 version, better wait till february or something so that we can have at least some problems solved with the game by then. Just don't start pressuring the Master Story-teller from the first day of FM '09 :D

:thup: spot on Sergio. Our problem is that Kip has been far too good at his job and has made us all care far too much about an FM game - far more than we do about our own games! To repeat... our problem, not Kip's.

He is well aware of his/the Bandits fanbase and unless other factors force it he's not going to leave us hanging... he's proven that he cares about all our support and that he won't stitch us up. Although it might be that he can't carry on for some reason I'm sure he'll fill in the blanks.

Did you miss me?

Seriously, sorry all, real life (work AND family, as it turned out) took over, and I must admit my enthusiasm for the meandering Bandits wasn't pulling me back whenever I had a spare five minutes. But it's time to come back, and a long awaited update will be coming shortly!

It has been a busy few months, but sorry for not dropping in to say so :) Fast forward mode will soon be accelarating to see if we can get the Bandits any trophies before the experiment ends.

Talking about Manchester United turning things around after a few years in the Championship. Maybe looking at what allowed them to climb back to the top (board take over, great manager, excellent youngster coming through the academy...) would give us a hint as to what the Bandits need as I now don't have a clue anymore. We've been through 25 years or so in the EPL with a good 12-15 managers, there was a board take over back a decade ago or so, we had great prospects... and sold them... I'm depressed now, it really starts to feel like the Bandits will never win anything.

Good board, and a couple of decent managers who 1) stuck around because they didn't get better offers and 2) didn't have one bad season that saw them sacked because of expectations.

A slow rise is a good thing for a good manager, because if they overachieve one season they set themselves up to be sacked the next.

Because Kip uses external tools to check on the player CA and PA, any future experiment will have to wait until these tools are released by the third party publishers.

Didn't it take a couple of months before the excellent mini scout was released this year and a few more months after that for the equally impressive Genie to arrive? This could mean he will not start his 09 experiment until around February.

Exactly - don't expect the experiment to start as soon as FM09 comes out, for two reasons. One, I really do need an external tool to make this experiment useful, and two, if a patch comes out which changes a great deal, which can happen (and quite quickly), it might be wise to start after that point.

I am hoping that Kip has not lost interest in this experiment, but it must be a real pain in the backside to update this these days, never any exciting information to report and always holding on to the slim hope that this season will be the one where they win something.

If I'm honest, that was one of the problems that allowed it to slip when everything got busy. On the plus side, there is actually some interesting stuff to report this season ;)

Guest roberto922

I honestly think a couple of you need to see a Psychiatrist :D BCU - You're calling Kipfizh imaginary? Great to see you back Kip :thup:

Hoo-f***ing-ray...

I've been anxiously checking this every time a new post comes just in case I've missed one

Roll on season whatever it is (I've lost count now...)

The last month or so has been ever so slightly snorevilly...

Did you miss me?

Seriously, sorry all, real life (work AND family, as it turned out) took over, and I must admit my enthusiasm for the meandering Bandits wasn't pulling me back whenever I had a spare five minutes. But it's time to come back, and a long awaited update will be coming shortly!

It has been a busy few months, but sorry for not dropping in to say so :) Fast forward mode will soon be accelarating to see if we can get the Bandits any trophies before the experiment ends.

I have to admit I jumped up out of my chair at seeing your post!!

Great to know the experiment is continuing, just hope the Bandits can get the Premiership or Champions League title, before it finishes, I'm not sure how I'd cope if we didn't.

Let me add my voice to the many who are glad to see you back.

Absence makes the heart fonder, I for one am gagging for my bandits fix, or may be a pint, I get confused easily these days.

In that case, go get yourself a pint, and then read the upcoming update :)

Season 2060-61

Bandits report - Transfers

Transfers In

Transfers Out

After perhaps the most boring season in Bandit history, the fans were left wondering what was to happen next. Could Yates spark them out of their apathy, or would the team continue a spiral down into the relegation battle they escaped so narrowly two seasons ago?

Summer

After first dismissing most of the current year’s youth products for being, quite frankly, useless, Yates decided that the first team squad was carrying a few it didn’t need anymore. First to go was a surprising and disappointing departure – Cyrille Diane may be 31, but he was a first choice central midfielder with talent, and he had been playing well. But Leeds came in with a 6.75m offer, and he moved on.

Following him out of the door was one time first choice left winger Juan Jose Rodriguez, who had been ousted from the squad over the last few years, first by Tony Harris and then David Ramos. At 29, it was time to move on, and he returned to Spain, joining Zaragoza for 2.3m.

Stephane Mathis is an enigma. He has never played well in his career, but Liverpool were convinced enough to pay Lille 21m for him, only for him to return average ratings of 6.11 and 5.50, which makes him one of the worst signings of all time. The Bandits took on the challenge for 9m, but he’s averaged 5.40, 5.94, and 6.18 for the club, and all that money seems a waste. Port Vale have now taken him on for 2.4m, but at 29, supposedly the peak of his career, he managed a dismal 6.05. He won’t be missed.

Next to leave was Jim Emerson, the aging left back who was signed just last season, but failed to impress, probably because his PA is only 141. The 1.8m fee paid by Bolton brought in a 300k profit for a hopeless player.

The penultimate sale was Juha Laiho, who was signed only last season and instantly became the first choice right back. Despite that, Yates deemed the 6m offer from Crystal Palace to be good business, and the 27 year old Finn moved on.

And then came the final sale, and it hurt in a very bad way. Aitor Rubio may now be 32, but he is the most naturally gifted player the club has ever had, and has single handedly (at times) saved the Bandits with his goals. Six years after signing for 36.5m, Sampdoria offered 13m, good money for his age, and he was let go.

It was a strange sale, and the sort that you would expect a financially struggling club to make, but there was no need to get rid of him with the clout the club holds. His CA may be dropping quickly, but the guy can still score hatfuls, as he went on to prove in Italy, scoring 30 times in 44 matches at an average of 7.95. Ouch.

With his sales complete, Yates turned to bringing players in, and began with 26 year old Albanian left back Klodian Lila, who has a CA of 161 and a PA of 171. A reasonable signing, Lila cost 4.6m from QPR.

Next to arrive was right back or right midfielder Jamie Bingham, who played extremely well for Boro in League One last season. A fee of 3.6m was enough to capture the 25 year old, but with a CA of 151 and a PA of 162 he will never be a decent Premiership standard, merely a squad player.

There was to be only one more signing, 19 year old striker Spencer Williamson, who arrived from Sheff Wed for 1.2m. Yates probably thought that 141 was a pretty good CA for a teenager, but with a potential of only 157 he is unlikely to get much better.

And that was it. The man that had saved the Bandits more often than perhaps any other – Aitor Rubio – had left, and a giant striker sized hole remained. Diane and Laiho also disappeared from the first team, and only Lila looks like challenging for a place on match day.

The fans were once again feeling quite uninspired. The club ended last season with about 22 players capable of playing first team football, and the number was dropping.

January

With a threadbare squad, the fans were hoping that, for once, Yates wouldn’t decide to sell anyone else in January, as such action could leave him struggling to put eleven players out at the weekend. Fortunately, he decided to get rid of only one this time, and it was a player who had never broken into the first team, 25 year old defensive midfielder Joe Kelly. Man City paid 3m to take him on, and as the only sale the club were, for once, not weakened in a transfer window.

The question was whether Yates could build on this and bring some talent in to improve the side. He started with 24 year old Dutch striker Marcel Doorn, who cost 4.7m from Chelsea. His decent 158 CA could actually rise to 171 so he really isn’t a bad signing. Excellent by Yates’ standards.

Next came Rumen Georgiev, a 25 year old Bulgarian defensive midfielder. With him, Yates returned to form, as his CA will never rise above its current level of 157. Another quite pointless signing, and one that cost the club 5m from Porto.

There was to be one more – Terry Cash is a 24 year old striker with a very good record for Leicester in the Championship. The Bandits paid 7.75m to bring him up a division and hope that he could replace Rubio in time. He looks okay, but with a CA and PA of 165 he certainly isn’t on the great man’s level.

And that was it. Yates had definitely weakened the squad in the summer, and sold a legend, but in January had improved the size of the squad again, if not actually helping the first team.

Yates’ awful ability to judge potential is really beginning to hurt the club now. He cannot sign a prospect, and when he gets one by chance he sells, not realising how good they could become. So even though the club needs youth, he signs teenagers with no potential to become the player he wants them to be. Now that he is selling the club’s stars, where does that leave them?

Bandits report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

O’Keefe, DM, 27, 174-183 (+2)

McParland, GK, 31, 173-173 (-)

Ricketts, DC, 29, 172-173 (+1)

Ramos, AM L, 24, 171-188 (+4)

Sadar, DL, 31, 169-174 (-4)

Taylor, GK, 25, 169-170 (+2)

Gould, AM R, 20, 168-184 (+10)

Mintus, ST, 20, 165-176 (+6)

de Zeeuw, DC, 31, 165-174 (-)

Salvati, MC, 26, 165-171 – on loan from Liverpool

Cash, ST, 24, 165-165 – new signing

Joel, AMR/ST, 27, 164-172 (+1)

Howarth, AMC, 23, 163-178 (+2)

Constable, D/WB R, 28, 163-168 (+1)

Thomas, DC, 32, 161-173 (-2)

Lila, DLC/MC, 26, 161-171 – new signing

Mitrev, WB/AM L, 29, 161-171 – on loan from Aston Villa

Peters, DC/DM, 23, 159-176 (-)

de Lange, ST, 32, 159-172 (-)

Doorn, ST, 24, 158-171 – new signing

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

Rubio, ST, 31, 163-184

Diane, MC, 30, 162-170

Mathis, AMR, 29, 158-169

Laiho, D RL, 26, 156-173

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

Messner, ST, 32, 155-175 (-11)

This doesn’t make for pleasant reading. First teamers in Rubio, Diane and Laiho have left, and only two players arrive in the top twenty who aren’t on loan. And neither of them are really that good.

There are just two bright sparks left. Striker Mintus, and winger Gould are two very talented twenty year olds, and they must be retained. But Yates can’t tell when a player has talent, so what are the chances of him rejecting a mediocre bid?

Notable others:

None

CA of X or above:

190 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

180 : 0 … 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0

170 : 0 … 5, 6, 7, 8, 7, 5, 5, 4, 4

160 : 0 … 19, 18, 19, 11, 15, 16, 18, 14, 17

150 : 0 … 25, 27, 26, 21, 19, 20, 23, 22, 23

140 : 0 … 33, 29, 26, 22, 21, 20, 24, 22, 24

130 : 0 … 35, 30, 26, 24, 22, 21, 25, 25, 25

120 : 0 … 36, 31, 27, 25, 23, 21, 25, 25, 26

110 : 0 … 39, 31, 27, 25, 25, 23, 25, 25, 26

100 : 2 … 38, 41, 29, 27, 26, 23, 26, 25, 27

The numbers look better but that’s actually a little misleading, as two of the new players are only on loan. And with only two under 23s anywhere near first team standard, what does the future hold?

So here's something a little odd. I've moved the experiment on to a new machine, which is far quicker and should actually have the capability of running the number of leagues I want in FM09, but it seems that somewhere along the line the FM save game actually references the database.

You see, despite the fact that in the database I changed Fisher's name to the Bandits, they've reverted back to being 'Fisher' in the saved game now that its running on a different machine. I would've thought once the game had loaded that the data would be self-contained, but it seems now.

So for the rest of this experiment, bizarrely, the Bandits appear in screenshots as Fisher.

Before the season report begins, I thought it might be a good idea to tell you briefly about the European Championships of 2060. Germany beat Portugal in the final, after Italy, France and England had all gone out in the group stages.

After the tournament, ex-Bandit manager Robbie Way (yes, that idiot) became the new England manager.

Bandits report – Season report

August-December

Another bad summer of transfer dealings left the fans dreading the season ahead rather than going in with optimism. They had had a dodgy squad for a few years now, but a bunch of five or so stars had always saved them. Now, with the talisman Rubio off in Italy, scoring fourteen goals in nine pre-season games to show how talented he still is, the pressure was on the remaining few. Could Messner continue his late career form? Could the defence hold up?

The season began at the Emirates, and after the first weekend their fears were already being realised, a 3-0 humbling being about as bad a start as they’ve ever had. They recovered somewhat to win 3-1 against Everton in the next game, but a trip to Anfield in their third game wasn’t ideal. They ended up surprising the nation though by winning 2-1, the new strike pairing of Messner and Mintus getting the goals, before the latter was later sent off. Suddenly, the mood was up.

And that mood continued against Villa, where Messner scored another couple in a 3-1 win, sending the Banditst towards the top of the league, before a stirring comeback to draw 2-2 from 2-0 down at West Ham suggested that these players had more mettle than was previously realised.

Confidence was high, and Sunderland were comprehensively dispatched in the League Cup, a brace each from de Lange and Messner sending the Championship side back up north with their tail between their legs, humbled 4-0.

And then, all of a sudden, they lost form again. One point was gained from the next four matches, with losses to Chesterfield, Newcastle and Man Utd, only a late equaliser at Colchester saving them that day. All in all, it was bad preparation for a League Cup tie at dominant Sheff Wed.

An early Mintus goal put the Bandits into a surprise lead, and the match then went from good to excellent when Sheff Wed had two men sent off in the opening half an hour. Playing with a two man advantage though, the Bandits somehow contrived to go 2-1 down before half time, but another Mintus goal in the second half took the game to extra time. The nine men held on, and then beat the Bandits on penalties, in a result that is truly dreadful given the circumstances. When you’re 1-0 up against nine men with an hour to play you shouldn’t be going out.

They managed to put the disappointment behind them to beat Derby 1-0, before a 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace kept them in the mid table mix. A 3-0 hammering at Sheff Wed was followed by 1-1 draws with Leeds and Chelsea and the memories of their fine early season start were wiped out.

December was an inconsistent month, with good wins over Hull and Spurs being surrounded by four defeats. As the year turned, they sat 13th and on course for another extremely dull season.

January-May

January saw some promise for the tiny squad that the Bandits had, after Yates finally decided not to sell first teamers in every transfer window. With a few new players, the fans were hoping that at least a top half finish was possible, or even perhaps an attack on the European places.

A double header against Merseyside opposition yielded only one point to start the year, a draw at Everton being followed by a defeat to Liverpool, but the team were back to winning ways in the FA Cup, comfortably defeating League One Blackpool 2-0. Aston Villa were then beaten in the league as they tried to push themselves back up towards the top half.

But the form dipped again, and three consecutive league defeats, to West Ham, Chesterfield and Newcastle saw them fall to an alarming 16th, the only bright spot being another cup win, this time 1-0 against Championship side Nottm Forest.

Mintus secured a precious point at Colchester before the cup run was ended for another year, the Bandits going down 2-0 at home to Leeds. The poor performances continued with a loss to Man Utd, and then a dreadful 2-0 defeat at relegation threatened Derby, a result that saw the Bandits fall into the relegation zone with just nine games remaining.

Realising the danger they were now in, they bounced straight out of the drop zone with a vital victory against Crystal Palace, but one game later defeat by Leeds saw them fall back to 18th. There were now seven games left, and they were still haunted by the possibility of their first relegation.

The next two fixtures were daunting matches against Sheff Wed and Chelsea, but suddenly they needed results. It wasn’t to be, as they came away from the pair of game with no points, and in serious trouble. Now 19th, they were four points from safety with five games left.

It was crunch time, especially as the next match was against Port Vale, just one place above them. Inside a minute they were a goal down, but second half strikes from Cash and Constable earned the Bandits a 2-1 win and took them to within a point of their rivals. Still 19th, they would probably need another couple of wins before the season was out.

The next match was against high flying Burnley, and it went to form, the Bandits going down 3-1, before another six pointer came along, this time against Hull, the target club in 17th. A loss would all but guarantee Championship football for the Bandits next season, but a win would close the group up completely. And a win they delivered, goals from Ramos and Mintus keeping their hopes alive.

With two games remaining, Everton were bottom by miles and gone, the Bandits were still 19th with 37 points, Hull and Newcastle were also on 37 but with better goal differences, Derby had 38 and Port Vale 39. It was anyone’s guess.

The trouble for the Bandits was their goal difference, so bad that they needed to get ahead of anyone on points. There were four teams in their sights and two had to be overtaken.

On the penultimate weekend of the season, West Brom went 2-0 up on the Bandits, before a stirring comeback gave the visitors a vital point, Cash’s late penalty earning a 2-2 draw. Port Vale blew a huge chance to guarantee their safety, losing at home to bottom club Everton, while Hull went down to Spurs. Newcastle and Derby met, the Geordies hammering their rivals 4-0 to move clear.

With one game left, two relegation spots were still open. Hull sat 19th with 37 points, the Bandits 18th with 38, Derby ahead on goal difference with 38, Port Vale 39 and Newcastle 40.

Hull had the easiest of the fixtures, playing bottom club Everton, but with no pair of clubs in the mix playing each other, no-one was guaranteed points. Meanwhile, the Bandits travelled to their great rivals Spurs knowing that victory would put them in with a great chance of survival.

So it was a dagger to the heart when, after only four minutes, former Bandit star Tony Harris scored for Spurs, putting the Bandits firmly on the back foot. Mintus equalised before the half hour, but Spurs scored another just before half time to go into the break leading 2-1. Elsewhere, only Hull were leading, 1-0 at Everton, but Port Vale were a man down in a 1-1 scoreline at Villa, Derby were losing to Man Utd, and Newcastle were being held by Leeds.

In the second half, Hull completed their 1-0 victory at Everton to finish the season on 40 points, while Villa took advantage of their one man advantage to defeat Port Vale 3-1 and see them finish on 39. Newcastle’s draw at Leeds saw them survive despite a last minute equaliser against them. Derby lost to Man Utd to finish with 38 points.

Derby were down, but the only question was who would join them. If the Bandits lost, they would finish 19th. A draw would see them above Derby but behind Port Vale on goal difference and gone, but a win would propel them to safety. It was win or bust.

And sadly, the result was bust. No amount of second half pressure could force a goal, and in the end Spurs held out quite comfortably, the Bandits not looking like scoring either of the two goals they required. Not only were they relegated, but Hull’s win saw them fall down to 19th on the final day.

And that was it – the first relegation in their 55 year history, making Yates infamous around the club as the first man to take them down. And make no mistake about it, that is what he’s done – his transfer dealings have been abysmal.

See you in the Championship.

Honours: League Cup (2044, 2047, 2052)

Bandits report – Season summary

2006-07, English Conference South - 1st, FA Trophy - Winners

2007-08, English National Conference - 7th, FA Trophy - Final

2008-09, English National Conference – 7th

2009-10, English National Conference – 9th

2010-11, English National Conference – 6th

2011-12, English National Conference – 18th

2012-13, English National Conference – 5th

2013-14, English National Conference – 1st

2014-15, English League Two – 21st

2015-16, English League Two – 21st

2016-17, English League Two – 6th

2017-18, English League Two – 6th

2018-19, English League Two – 7th

2019-20, English League Two – 6th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2020-21, English League Two – 10th

2021-22, English League Two – 1st, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy - Final

2022-23, English League One – 13th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2023-24, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Final

2024-25, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Semi-Final

2025-26, English League One – 18th

2026-27, English League One – 17th

2027-28, English League One – 14th

2028-29, English League One – 20th

2029-30, English League One – 1st

2030-31, English Championship – 14th

2031-32, English Championship – 10th, League Cup – Final

2032-33, English Championship – 12th

2033-34, English Championship – 8th

2034-35, English Championship – 21st

2035-36, English Championship – 2nd

2036-37, English Premiership – 17th

2037-38, English Premiership – 12th

2038-39, English Premiership – 15th, FA Cup – Semi-Final

2039-40, English Premiership – 11th

2040-41, English Premiership – 14th

2041-42, English Premiership – 13th

2042-43, English Premiership – 11th

2043-44, English Premiership – 6th, League Cup – Winners

2044-45, English Premiership – 9th

2045-46, English Premiership – 3rd

2046-47, English Premiership – 2nd, League Cup – Winners

2047-48, English Premiership – 5th, League Cup – Final

2048-49, English Premiership – 5th, UEFA Cup – Semi-Final

2049-50, English Premiership – 11th, League Cup – Final

2050-51, English Premiership – 6th

2051-52, English Premiership – 9th, League Cup – Winners

2052-53, English Premiership – 3rd

2053-54, English Premiership – 5th, UEFA Cup – Semi-Final, FA Cup – Semi-Final

2054-55, English Premiership: - 6th

2055-56, English Premiership – 6th

2056-57

English Premiership: (Pos 14), P 38, W 13, D 9, L 16, F 61, A 60, GD +1, Pts 48

(Media Prediction: 4th)

UEFA Cup: 1st Round

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: 4th Round

2057-58

English Premiership: (Pos 12), P 38, W 13, D 13, L 12, F 54, A 52, GD +2, Pts 52

(Media Prediction: 10th)

FA Cup: 4th Round

League Cup: 2nd Round

2058-59

English Premiership: (Pos 13), P 38, W 13, D 7, L 18, F 52, A 62, GD -10, Pts 46

(Media Prediction: 13th)

FA Cup: Final

League Cup: Quarter-Final

2059-60

English Premiership: (Pos 14), P 38, W 13, D 8, L 17, F 48, A 51, GD -3, Pts 47

(Media Prediction: 12th)

FA Cup: 5th Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

2060-61

English Premiership: (Pos 19), P 38, W 10, D 8, L 20, F 46, A 72, GD -26, Pts 38

(Media Prediction: 15th)

League

FA Cup: 5th Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

Bandits report - Best and Worst

General

Stats

New records:

Oldest Player – Liam Johnstone (38 years 282 weeks v West Ham)

This season:

Best player –Mintus, 7.35

Top scorer – Mintus, 15

Worst player – O’Keefe, 6.49

A special note to Messner and de Lange, who both played superbly up front when given rare chances. Both are moving on at the end of the season.

Bandits report - First XI Summary

GK: McParland (31, 173/173) – 7.16

LB: Sadar (31, 169/174) – 6.91

CB: de Zeeuw (31, 165/173) – 6.68

CB: Ricketts (29, 172/173) – 6.83

RB: Constable (28, 163/168) – 6.66

LM: Ramos (24, 171/188) – 6.75

CM: O’Keefe (27, 174/183) – 6.49

CM: Howarth (23, 163/178) – 6.47

RM: Gould (20, 168/184) – 6.55

ST: Mintus (20, 165/176) – 7.35

ST: Cash (24, 165/165) – 7.27

Average age – 26.2 (down from last year’s 28.0)

Average CA – 168.0 (up from last year’s 165.1)

Average rating – 6.83 (down from last year’s 7.12)

The presence of Gould and Mintus in the first team reduces the average age, and the average CA of the first team actually goes up. But the performance levels have dropped sharply, falling 0.29 per player.

The trouble is twofold – the first team aren’t playing well, and they have absolutely no backup.

Gould, Mintus and Ramos are the bright prospects, but otherwise, there really isn’t a lot there.

Bandits report – Outside the first XI

Dropped:

Thomas (CB): Now aging, left out in favour of de Zeeuw.

Joel (RM): Youngster Gould and on loan Mitrev restrict his appearances.

Peters (CM): The central midfielder wasn’t good enough, and has to wait for another chance.

Messner (ST): Played superbly when allowed to but didn’t get many chances.

Sold:

Laiho (RB): Sold on after only one season.

Diane (CM): A great player, but sold on despite still being perfectly capable of Premiership football.

Rubio (ST): The legend departs, and shines in Italy.

Prospects

None – the youngsters are now in the first team.

Competitions - Other stats

Germany beat Portugal in the European Championship final, while England failed at the group stage, allowing Robbie Way to take over. In other words, they’re screwed. As hosts of the 2062 World Cup, they do not need to qualify, however.

Sheff Wed had the perfect chance to reclaim the Premiership, needing only a draw on the final day of the season, but lost to Chesterfield and handed Liverpool the title. Burnley continued their excellent few seasons, finishing third, while Derby and Everton went down with the Bandits.

Liverpool claimed the double, beating Man Utd in the FA Cup final, while Sheff Wed had a trophy to take home, beating Aston Villa in the League Cup.

Barcelona lifted the European Cup, a single goal being enough to defeat Benfica, Bayern Munich won the UEFA Cup, beating Roma, while holders Burnley broke the record for unbeaten matches, not losing in 23 games until going down to Marseille.

Summary

After 25 years in the Premiership, the Bandits have finally been relegated without winning the big one. Within a goal of becoming champions years ago, their run in the league is over, and mainly thanks to some abysmal management. Yates is still manager, and has to go if the club are ever going to recover.

To add to the feeling that the transfer dealings were to blame, some of those that have been let go have shone this season. Not only did Tony Harris score a critical goal on the final day of the season, but former striker Tom Barton won World Player of the Year.

Former Bandit keeper Jami Priha (a Bandit ten years ago) also won European Goalkeeper of the Year, while Roma’s Harry Harper, a product of the Bandits youth team, came second in European Midfielder of the Year.

There are only a couple of decent young players left, but perhaps at this stage that doesn’t matter – anyone with serious talent would leave now anyway. The task is to get rid of Yates, and bring in someone who can create a new squad. He’ll need to – already Messner and de Lange are leaving, and it’s not as if they have a big squad.

It’s back to the Championship.

World View - World beaters (by CA)

Juan Carlos Gimenez (Lyon/Argentina, 24, 199/199, Midfielder: 75.92%), remains top for the second season, retaining his massive ability of 199. He doesn’t actually play that spectacularly this season, but he’s not exactly bad, is he?

Juan Carlos Gimenez

Nenad Mijatovic (Milan/Serbia, 26, 199/199, Centre Back: 76.01%), joins Gimenez at the top of the list as he gains the last two points of his potential. A true successor to Carlo Lupo in the heart of Milan’s defence, he is incredibly difficult to get past.

Nenad Mijatovic

Roberio (Marseille/Brazil, 27, 198/198, Winger: 78.43%), stays at his peak for the second year in a row, and continues to destroy the French league with skilful wing play, chipping in with a healthy twelve goals.

Roberio

Ismael Romero (Inter/Colombia, 30, 190/190, Goalkeeper: 75.42%), remains on the list for the second season, with his ability as its peak. He continues to shine in goal for Inter.

Ismael Romero

Mathieu Adam’s CA falls from 192 to 187.

That's awful, i think there will be nothing great until a new board, which could be a long time away, and a proper board is needed, or if we get lucky the horrible board can hire a proper manager who takes the bandits where they belong and where they have been, top flight battle and european competition.

Archived