International challenge

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheffieldtim:

Hello...reality check.

The Faroese FA on appointment have asked me to make the team 'competitive' and to help 'fulfil their promise as a footballing nation'.

Given they have a population of 48,000 having 116 players available seems ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroe_Islands </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to add... I went down 2 places in the FIFA rankings without playing a game! Like I can afford to drop places being 189th.

Will play a whole season tonight and post later.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a question for you guys who are currently taking part in this... Have you got a decent pool of players to call up? Are any of you using a few 'grayed out' players in your match day squads because you don't have enough 'real' players to put in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

I've got a question for you guys who are currently taking part in this... Have you got a decent pool of players to call up? Are any of you using a few 'grayed out' players in your match day squads because you don't have enough 'real' players to put in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM08 seems to be a lot better about this than 07 was. I've got 70 something players eligible for PNG (I said 40 or so before, that was wrong) and all of the local clubs seem to have full squads. I even noticed that places I didn't retain all players from have clubs with full squads where in 07 they would either be all greys or have one or two real players.

Well it was never gonna be easy and in the end i was hit for six!!

After going 4-0 down in half an hour i knew it wouldn't be pretty but we managed to hold out for a whole 43 minutes before conceding a 5th and then Treephan came up with his hat trick goal for them to seal us off.

At least we retained some dignity with a few half chances towards the end.

Ah well, maybe next time, i have arranged a friendly against Northern Mariana icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Is this challenge even possible to complete? Will the newgen players for your given country ever develop and get better as the game progresses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I left my game on vacation at home, and that's exactly what I wanted to check. I have a lot of decent 16 and 17 year olds, but if they don't progress any because their club's training sucks, then I don't think I will do the challenge for that long.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Recury:

Is this challenge even possible to complete? Will the newgen players for your given country ever develop and get better as the game progresses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I left my game on vacation at home, and that's exactly what I wanted to check. I have a lot of decent 16 and 17 year olds, but if they don't progress any because their club's training sucks, then I don't think I will do the challenge for that long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be sure to keep us updated of your findings. icon14.gif

Not looking good

An 8-0 home loss to new zealand.

My centre back got sent off so i made a sub to replace him. They took the free kick before my sub was made and scored which was annoying but ok.

Then, my team kicked off, still without my sub coming on and New Zealand ran down with 3 players on my 1 centre back and scored again.

Finally my replacement came on although i couldn't of cared less as i was extremely angry!!!

So 2 friendlies conceded 14 and still no goal icon_frown.gif

Newgen quality does increase with the increased reputation of your international team.

Did some experiments on FM07 with FMM to look at the long term effects of giving Djibouti 10,000 reputation. 2032 - ranked number 1 in the world, with all their players being Premiership class, and at top leagues all around the world.

I would have felt it would be the same in FM08.

Hello, I'm back from sleep and work, and am catching up on things, apologies for the long post but its the easiest way to catch up on everything.

MachinegunHead welcome, I forgot that not all nations in the game are FIFA registered. Some like Guadelope are not, which may make qualifying for the world cup impossible, or it may be you just have to be patient and they will let you in eventually. As has been said they did very well trying to qualify for the world cup. Just checked my holiday game I left running and by 2015 all Guadeloupe had played in was friendlies. So sadly you may be right. Unfortunately with no Carribean cup in FM08, you would have to be randomly selected somehow for the 12 team Gold cup proper.

BS_8 good to see the youngsters coming through, be careful not to use them too soon or they may burn out, though it seems you may have no choice. Well done on the draw against Solomon Islands who are the 2nd best team in Oceania.

Dane0 it was difficult to know what to do with South America, but I wanted the extra challenge of going round all 6 continents though having said that you could win the Copa America with a North American side, if you got invited to it. Welcome to the fold with Belize

Gundo glad you like the challenge.

Jeffhardy welcome to the challenge, Afghanistan will be an intersting challenge.

Recury, well done on getting through the preliminaries, that is an achievement in itself.

Jonny Kaufman, welcome to the fold, good luck in Africa.

Brigadier, ouch, not a good start but at least it gives you time to prepare for the next tournament.

Gundo, apart from possibly goalkeepers no one should have to use grey players unless they get hit by injuries, as there is some sort of minimum number of players that SI have set.

Littleliam sorry to hear you had to start again, checking my holiday game the only competitive game they play is the 1st round of the Asian world cup qualifers in 2007 and 2011, the Asian cup seems to only have a 4 team preliminary round and then a 25 team (5groups of 5) qualifying round with the top 10 going forward to the main tournament along with another 10 nations who are already there. You may need to get your FIFA ranking up to play in this.

Birdy123 thanks for the confirmation on this, it certainly seemed to be the case on Ter's earlier challenges

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brigadier:

So how do you increase your reputation? I'm guessing winning helps, but does it take long? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically what you said. You need to win lots. The higher you are ranked in the world, the higher reputation you have (in theory, it works a little bit differently depending on performances in the World Cup, and other International tournaments.

It will take a long time. Unless you win everything really quickly, this challenge will be a slow process of getting up in the world rankings, waiting for the quality of players from your team to improve, then moving up again, etc. I can't give exact figures because everyone in this challenge will have different results and such.

So mini update on Guinea-Bissau.

We started off at home to Rwanda and drew 0-0 a good result i was thinking, my players saw this as a failure though. Despite us being dominated throughout the game, and only lucky they didn't have their shooting boots on.

Then in the final game in our Africian Nations qualifying we met Cape Verde away from home and beat them 5-3 on first look it would look a good result, but considering we were 4-0 up at half time i could only be satisfied.

Thinking i only had to finis second in the group to qualify i was exstaic when i saw Rwanda had lost to Camaroon (no real suprise), my hopes were quickly dashed as i realised only the second place finish would be good if i was the best second place finish in the whole qualifying, and of course 8 points was 5 short of the best second place finish. So unfortunetly we did not qualify for the African Cup of Nations, theres always next time though.

On to the World Cup qualifying were we met Mozambique in the 1st round. Hoping we could sneak something at home went to crap as we lost 2-1. Second leg was a more what i thought it would be as we lost 4-0 to crash out of the World Cup qualifying at the first hurdle, at least we didn't do as bad as Djbouti or Somalia who crashed out 17-1 and 16-1 respictivley on aggergate.

All this has left us in 142nd in the world rankings a nice progress of 48 places since i joined 3 months ago. Of course with no competive matches untill the next qualfying stages

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brigadier:

So how do you increase your reputation? I'm guessing winning helps, but does it take long? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically what you said. You need to win lots. The higher you are ranked in the world, the higher reputation you have (in theory, it works a little bit differently depending on performances in the World Cup, and other International tournaments.

It will take a long time. Unless you win everything really quickly, this challenge will be a slow process of getting up in the world rankings, waiting for the quality of players from your team to improve, then moving up again, etc. I can't give exact figures because everyone in this challenge will have different results and such. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think one of the best ways to increase an International teams reputation quicker than usual is to beat the 'big' nations. Think about if you where say Faroe Islands and you beat France, your are going to hit the headlines around the globe. If you could string a couple together then your on a roll. icon_biggrin.gif

I do however think it's a very very very slow process to increase it enough, but hey if you want difficulty... icon_wink.gif

Jonny Kaufman, well done in the African nations cup, 2nd place in the group is an achievement in itself. Shame about the world cup qualifying.

Littleliam, the news reports on records seem a little strange at times, but I think they sort themselves out, after a while, once the game has had a chance to update the records.

A quick update on my American Samoa team, despite being 50-1, I managed to win both of my away friendlies against Fiji, despite in both games being 2-0 down at half time. Must have been something in the half time oranges! These two victories lifted us to 175th in the world. Now have a nice break before the autumn friendlies, which will be incredibly tough, England and Cameroon among them.

Time to pick captain and vice-captain, with Alex Savea struggling to get in my team, I decided it was time for a new captain and promoted my vice captain (Fatu) to captain and brought in my left back as vice-captain. My goalie and the fans were not happy with this shock decision, looking through my squad, no one else seemed to happy about this decision apart from my left back who I made vice-captain. Would this shock move upset the team? Would results suffer as a consequence?

Meanwhile New Zealand convincinly thrashed Solomon Islands and took the Oceania Nations cup but one of my midfielders was awarded goal of the tournament, the first trophy for America Samoa (or at least one of their players)

41 players now available to me among the new comers, a fast 16 year old striker, a fast aggressive 17 year old defender, a fast 18 year old left back, but still no right midfielder. So plenty of pace will be available, but I'll leave them to the youth sides for now.

Well first visitors were England and they destroyed us 14-0! Oops comes to mind. I blame my defender Faaloua who I forgot to call up to my orginal squad, and then refused my late call up after injury ruled out one of my other defenders. Still he has at least now apologised, so I might let him of (after all I need all the players I can get!)

Next up was Cameroon, again 50-1 outsiders, and another destruction! Losing 16-0! Double oops. Oh well so much for beeting the best teams!

Time to bring in a couple of physios, and change my assistant manager.

The footballing world was shocked when former Italian international and AC Milan coach, Franco Baresi accepted the offer of being my assistant at American Samoa, perhaps he's after my job! Still he might solve my defensive frailities, I wonder if I can get him to apply for citizenship, surely FIFA would allow him to switch considering the recent drastic scorelines!

Down to 182d in the world now.

Time for the grudge match against Wallis Fortune Islands who beat me in my first game. But yet again they beat me, this time 5-0, and after the heroics against Fiji, it looks like I could have a big problem on my hands. Time to have a tactical rethink, my 4-1-3-2 no longer seems to be working.

Despite these 3 defeats, I'm now back up to 174 in the world.

Well time to ring the changes and unleash a 4-4-1-1 formation on my next fixtures, fellow lower nation, Bhutun. Still I'm 12-1 to win and soon find out why as I'm 3-0 down by half time. It ends 6-0 and the fans are not happy. Well just one game left this year, against Papua New Guniea, to rescue a year that started so bright. Was it all down to my change in captain, or should I never have played England and Cameroon???

So much for PNG game bringing some success, we lost 6-0 and I think I might have to blood those youngsters a bit earlier than planned. Well that was 2008, 2 good wins to begin followed by a disasterous 5 defeats conceding 47 goals and scoring none, will there even be a 2009 for me?

Assuming I don't get sacked, I've got to decide, do I go back to my 4-1-3-2 that brought me initial success, or do I play 4-4-1-1 or something else???

Well, I let my game run until 2020 so my youngest players are all in their late 20s. The thing is is that they are all worse than when they were 16! Some of the regens that came through are not bad, and that might have to do with the fact that I am ranked 119th and as recently as 2 years ago was 90th. Of course, most of them haven't been in the squad because I've been on vacation and haven't made any changes to it. Oh well.

Some international gaming is always fun so I'll join this challenge. icon_smile.gif Decided to manage Nepal since no one taken them yet and their flag is hot. icon_biggrin.gif

I loaded the Chinese, Indian, South Korean and the English leagues with all Nepal players loaded.

Not suprisingly all players are utter crap. icon_smile.gif

This guy will probably be my key player. At least he's 18 so he can only become better! icon_smile.gif

Not a great start for the Faroes I'm afraid. With only 3 games left and no points on the board i tried a few things out.

I started by watching the U-21's get thumped 9-1 by Norway.

Lithuania 3 - 0 Faroe Is.

0-0 on the hour but a late crumble.

Faroe Is. 0 - 5 France

Captain and vice-captain both injured. Midfielder sent off after 6 minutes. We conceded 3 in the last twenty minutes.

Ukraine 4 - 0 Faroe Is.

Captain and vice-captain still injured. Long range screamer after 7 minutes. Shevchenko is miles offside just after half time. 3rd goal in the last quarter of an hour, 4th in 94th minute of 3 added on minutes!!!

Still at least the new campaign can start and I know who to ditch immediately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foxmad:

Scoham - How do you use the DDT Code?

As in where do you place it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know its 3 years old but that explains it, don't think its any different now. Obviously it goes in the FM 08 folder, not CM 03/04.

At first I tried putting it in My Documents, like the graphics, skins etc are supposed to go, but it wouldn't show up, so I had to put it in the installation folder.

Damn this was hard to select a squad. Got 500 players to choose from and all of them are pretty equally bad. All of them play in the awesome Nepal teams aswell...

Also noticed that my U23 team is playing in the Olympic qualification. I thought I would be coaching them like in FM07 but I guess not. Anyways 1-1 in the first leg vs Macau. You can do it lads! icon_biggrin.gif

Italy 7 - 0 Faroes Is.

Depressingly one way traffic!

7 min. Manc born midfielder hits 25 yard screamer

12 min. aging Juve legend scores

36 min. 30 yard from Mr. 25 yards wasn't far enough

64 min. header from bad boy ex Real Madrid star

79 min. Tuscan based young start striker scores from the

bench

89 min. Then super sub adds his second

95 min. Then his third!

You can name players in here if you like tim...

Although I do like having to try to work out who you're on about icon14.gif

And good luck all..

This is looking like my 4th choice challenge, but as I'm playing as San Marino (club side) anyway, the national team should follow suit...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheffieldtim:

Apologies...earlier post should have read

mis-firing Chelski striker is miles off-side

So upset I forgot not to player name. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are allowed to name players. icon_wink.gif

MadWoodster, are the three midfielders attacking? Also it maybe worth trying 4-1-2-2-1

GK

DR

DC

DC

DL

MC

MC

AMR - arrows back

AML - arrows back

ST

i tried it for a few games and worked, however due to players available i am just playing a 4-4-2, unfortunately Savea retired for my, my captain is my left back Tinae. I wouldn't want to burn out these guys however, i don't have much choice, i will vary it up a bit, let them play some games and get used to it, however each game played they must learn something, if it means putting him the shop window then so be it, 2caps/1goal to his name, so deserves his place atm.

Svettot welcome to the challenge and good luck. Seems like you've got lots of players to choose from compared to most of us.

Recury I guess the problem is the local clubs that sign up the players haven't got the training facilities, plus also the players don't get much in the way of games. This seems to be a big problem as all my players are seriously lacking match fitness.

SheffieldTim ouch, at least you haven't let in double figures yet.

SpotG we look forward to you joining us in due course.

Well I managed to survive into 2009, and thought time to go back to those teams I've beaten before. So set up a friendly with Fiji, and lost 4-2!

Brigadier you are getting there slowly but surely.

BS_8 the 3 midfielders are LM & RM running forwards two bits, and CM running forwards one bit. Might try your 4-1-2-2-1 although even my 4-1-4-1 didn't stem the flow of goals.

Tonights update. OK desperate times call for desperate measures while looking through the info on American Samoa, I suddenly came across the star players listing and realised I hadn't been using of the best 3 players for months! Time for a recall and a new news message

which you should see get by clicking here

Not that it helped much as I lost to Cook Islands this time 5-0!

Ok things are going seriously wrong and with the Oceania Nations cup coming up I've got two games left. And just as I'm typing this I'm about to lose 3-0 to Guam! I think my team has totally lost confidence. Tip to everyone don't change your captain suddenly, and don't try and play the big boys unless you have to!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MadWoodster:

Tip to everyone don't change your captain suddenly, and don't try and play the big boys unless you have to! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you don't think my idea to play a friendly against the world number 1 is a good idea then?

madwoodster, fair point. I havn't been using the star 3 either. Aslo my team is so unfit, whatever i do at the moment i am getting taught a lesson. I just lost 1-5 at home to the might Eritrea?! how do we improve match fitness apart from friendlies?

MadWoodster, look at your players how many club games did they play in their frist season compared to now? I did well in my first season with most players playing 20-30 games for their clubs. This season the players with the most games for his club, has played 4 times since the first season, hense unfit players

I've studied some more, and found the clubs are prefering greyed out players, all but 8 of my entire national pool aren't playing regularly, maybe an influx of good talent is coming in a few months

Going to try this challenge and play it when I get frustated with Dafuges (in a relegation battle at the moment.)

I have loaded up a game as a International footballer from England with Macau as a second nationality.

Loaded up the Portuguese, Chinese and Hong Kong leagues, and retained all the Macau players.

I appear to have 267 eligble players, and 3 friendlys already scheduled.

The Macau FA just want me to uphold the country's honour in each match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BS_8:

I've studied some more, and found the clubs are prefering greyed out players, all but 8 of my entire national pool aren't playing regularly, maybe an influx of good talent is coming in a few months </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed this as well, most of the players are not getting games any more, which means we have unfit players, which puts as at even more of a disadvantage. Not sure what we can do apart from find some better players!

Gilbster welcome to the challenge, Macau should be interesting, 267 players gives you a fair number to choose from.

Jonny Kaufman I'm not sure whether playing the world number 1 is a good idea or not, it may be that if you can keep the score down your players will gain confidence, certainly if you draw or win against them you'll be laughing.

MadWoodster - Thanks, however I think it just make my job harder with this many players since there's absolutely no talent. icon_biggrin.gif

After spending like 2 hours on selecting my first squad (I looked at almost all those 500 losers) it was finally time for the match against Guam. But things wasn't really going my way and we were totally trashed despite the fact that we were big favorites. icon_frown.gif

Nepal U23 also lost the second leg against Macau with 4-2 in the Olympic quals.

We also dropped on the rankings and sitting in 185th place. Things aren't looking great in Nepal. icon_frown.gif

Well i don't think playing Guadaloupe was a good idea let alone Argentina.

We go back to the start of 2008 where we drew 0-0 with the newest country East Timor.

This was followed by a 1-1 draw with Luxembourg.

Thrn 3 losses on the bounce first a 4-1 loss to the USA, a 3-1 loss to Guadeloupe and a 4-0 loss to Argentina which by all means is a good result.

All this left in 154th in the world rankings.

After this i thought i would swicth my attention to the bottom of the world rankings for my next friendlies.

There is only one problem with my team, my by far best player Inzaghi plays for Benifica and so has not played a game in over 2 years. So is continually lacking match fitness.

On a lighter note i do seem to have a quality young player, for the standard of my team, Mila and at least he is at a club that plays him reguarly

BS_8 I tired out your 4-1-2-1-1, while it brought me my first goal in a few games against Samoa we still lost 2-1 and then got thrashed 4-0 by New Caledonia in the first game of the Oceania Nations Cup, next up was Fiji a return to 4-1-3-2 still didn't help another 2-0 defeat, and at half time against Samoa I was also 2-0 down so I decided blow this defending lark, and switched to a 4-3-1-2 and got the score back to 2-2.

Up next were Tahiti, in the last Oceania Nations cup they thrashed me 4-0, and with a couple of my first choice players injured, 1 suspended, and my top youngster wanting a rest, it was going to be an uphill game. I kept with my youngster for the first half, but as we were 3-0 down decided I had better not burn him out, and subbed him. The second half passed without incident, we managed to keep the score to 3-0.

So just 1 draw this time around in the Nations Cup.

The FA are again pleased that we enjoyed our the experience of the nations cup, but the fans aren't so pleased.

Unfortunately I've got an enforced break from any real FM action over the next few days due to work, family and church commitments, but will be keeping an eye on this forum while I'm all over the country.

Archived