Focus Passing?

Hi there guys. I want a bit of advice from you about the option named "Focus Passing". I have created a very common 3-4-1-2 nothing special or unusual. My question is the following - How should I set "Focus Passing" since I don't have any full backs? Should I set my Focus Passing as ''Through the Middle'' since my wingers have no backup when making a run or should I leave it to mixed? I'm a bit puzzled because I think both statements are true, if I leave it like this, this will provide more variety to my attack because the wingers will be involved too but if I make it ''Through the Middle'' would be more adequate since most of my players are concentrated around the middle. Anyways in both situations I have the next question - how should I set my wingers to behave in both attacking and defending role? If I set it to focus passing through the middle should I tell my wingers to ''Cut Inside'' or leave it to the default and the other side of the medal, if I leave the focus passing to mixed, what instruction should I give to them?

Here is my formation, since one picture tells more than 1000 words and I'm not the best with words I'll leave the picture speak for itself combined with a little explanation. All tips and hints are welcome and I'll appreciate them. Thanks a million!

clipboard01wg.jpg

I have always preferred the Mixed option with whatever tactic apart from the very odd occasion I will use either TTM or the Flanks when the Mixed option doesn't appear to create a chance. I may be wrong but I have always thought that if you use just one type of play then it makes it easier for the AI to make inroads into your half of the pitch.

I remember seeing someone written here that if you play wide then you should attack through the centre to avoid congestion at the flanks. If you play narrow then you should attack down the flanks to avoid congestion in the middle.

Setting the focus passing doesn't mean that your players will follow it entirely. If you set it as "through the middle", your players don't always pass through the centre all the time. The same applies to "down the flanks". Bug? Not the case. It is affected by the other factors. Your players will make the decisions of where to pass.

Let's say you are playing a wingless tactic and you have your focus passing set to down the flanks. Will your players pass the ball to the flanks if there is no one there? Absolutely not unless they are being pressurised and try to get rid of the ball. Unless someone has moved to the flanks then the ball will only be passed to him.

Based on your tactic, you have more players in the middle, so they are the main options to pass the ball to (as they have passing options from every direction around him) while your wingers will be more like supportive options if you would like the focus passing to be through the middle. however if you make your wingers to be the main options and the centre players to be the supportive options, your wingers will often find that no one is supporting them either his back or his front.

Personally I would choose through the middle in your case and give the winger an instruction to move into the channels. If you have your strikers move into the channels as well, then you will see a 4 vs 4 situation when you are attacking. The 1st 4 is your wingers and strikers while the 2nd 4 is opposition back four. Now your AMC will have four options to supply his through ball (set this to often for your AMC.) Now you will only see the effect of passing through the middle. Since your wingers are moving forwards, giving your MC's a more defensive role is safer in this case. Don't forget to have your width set to high normal.

This is my way which you can try out. Hope this helps. ;-)

Archived