Spurs 4-4-2. Striker Problem

I'm like Mike Bassett, strictly will only play 4-4-2. Anyway things are going well in my Spurs save however I just can't get the best out of Edin Dzeko. No matter what i play him as, he's fails to consistently score. He's got 9 goals in 39 games for me this season. All my goals are coming from Jermaine Defoe who's got 21 in 25. Currently My best partnership is in Dzeko as Complete Striker/Support with Defoe as Complete Striker/Attack because Edin gets a fair few assists. However when i change it (edin attack/ VDV as support) they both play poor and Edin never scores even as Complete/Attack. I've tried and failed with Edin as deep lying/support & attack and advance forward. Any suggestions for front two pairing that will bring best out of Edin Dzeko (preferably partnered with VDV)

Dzeko should be played as deep lying striker with attacking,often long shots often through balls imo..then defoe as advanced striker/attack,run with ball often,through balls often,i usually put through balls often on my strikers when i play 4-4-2.Works fine..but generally in 4-4-2 if you play one tall guy one short guy the tall guy tends to score less,and assist more,gain you more possession,etc. unless he is amazing,long shots would probably get him around half his goals...and he would typically need to be a killer in front of goal as to make the most out of any opportunity in the box.Depending on your 4-4-2,if you get very few crosses in the box,it will also kill a key aspect of his game which is the aerial one,so consider a bit more wide play,perhaps from your wide players,maybe the wingers ,maybe the full backs,depending how you have your team set up.Then you could also consider putting forward runs often on dzeko to get into space for the crosses,if he is not doing it enough otherwise,but that may screw things up in him receiving passes from midfield to lay down for defoe,or gaining/keeping you possession,so you gotta monitor these little things.

I had the same problem with Dzeko when i signed him at Arsenal. I played a flat 4-4-2 with Dzeko as targetman/support and my other striker partner was a poacher. Dzeko would almost never score, but he did get some nice assists here and there. Can you be successful playing both strikers in a 4-4-2 with attack role or do you really need 1 ST to be on support duty to link up with the midfield?

Do you play Dzeko on the left side of the attack or the right ? Also. Let him take a few long shots by increasing his creative freedom. I cannot say these will work. I played with Dzeko on FM10 n basically had the same problem. Took me an year to get round to it. Once i did though he did score more than 30 in 45-50 appearances. But i have no idea how he plays on FM11. Havent bin able to buy him yet !

Also. Make ur right winger cross to the near post, ur left to the far post. Dont let Dzeko roam from his position. See if it helps ! Good luck mate.

I had the same problem with Dzeko when i signed him at Arsenal. I played a flat 4-4-2 with Dzeko as targetman/support and my other striker partner was a poacher. Dzeko would almost never score, but he did get some nice assists here and there. Can you be successful playing both strikers in a 4-4-2 with attack role or do you really need 1 ST to be on support duty to link up with the midfield?

I do, Rooney as Advanced Forward/Attack and Macheda Complete Forward/Attack works preety well for me.

Personally I havent played with Dzeko very much but he strikes me as a player who would do well in a Target Man/Attack role with long shots encouraged, what with wingers like Bale/Lennon chucking crosses in the box towards him he shouldn't struggle for goals.

Archived