Bring back WWWII... tactical discussion\challange

A long time ago in a game far, far away (but quite similar) called CM01/02, there were tactical geniuses some of whom went by name names like "Paul Buxton" and "the Welsh Wizard of Web"... and in this amazing SI game there was a super tactic created by the latter called WWWII ard Tackling, andit was one of, if no the bst formation in the game. And its the formations 10th Anniversary

This was back in my golden age with terms like "wibble/wobble", "DDL", and To Maderia was by far the best striker on the planet (well maybe Tisgalko was good too?)...

Anyway enough of my rose-tinted trip down memory lane...

The reason I have come up with the rejuvenation of this tactic is that I started a new game with 'The Posh' in League 1 and did a bit of inestigation into how Premership teams played formation wise and found that the AI uses variations of three main tactis 442 34% (442, 4411, 442DM) 451 33% (451DM, 451, 4141) and 4231 23% (4231 and 4231 with wingers).

So I decided to create 2 tactics to counter these, the first was a 3412 (Napoli IRL) to play against the 442s and another to pack the midfield against the 451/4231 variants. As I moved players about I suddenly came accross something familiar, WWWII!. The formation sets up as 2CB, 2WB, 1DM, 3CM, 1AMC, 1ST and looks like this;

wwwii.png

This formaion made sense in the narrow days of 01/02... and again it does today in the vs the packed 5 man midfields of he 2010's, basically you 'cheat' to get 7 into midfield with WBs as "carilleros" and a striker droped back into midfiled. Anyway I have tried this out with the Posh and, although I have a good League 1 squad, I have managed to beat Wolves 2-0 (friendly), Wigam 3-1(friendly), Chelsea 1-0(friendly) and Birmingham 2-1 (league cup) with the only slip up being a 4-1 loss to Blackburn by my reserves/kids. I think This shows that the 'WWWII' tactic can work (I know friendlies :) ).

So carrying on from the "Can the 442 still work" and "3421 tactical challange" threds, i am wondering if anyoine would ike to try out this formation?

The only rule is that it must look like i does above... in the next post dow I will explain how I have set up the tactic which I hope is a faithful copy of the orignial, but you can play it any way you want :thup:

I remember him well. I quote from one of his posts, 'Was that from wwfan? Anything wwfan says about tactics, I deem worthless'.

Never quite forgotten that.

I think I remember that, was kinda harsh of him :(

He's still on the forums but under a different name now. Won't tell you who he is though :p

I remember him well. I quote from one of his posts, 'Was that from wwfan? Anything wwfan says about tactics, I deem worthless'.

Harsh! :eek:

I don't remember that. I just vaguely remember the name from the old days of CM as a very active member on the tactics forum.

The WWW formation and the SW formation in CM01/02 are legendary ONLY because they take advantage of ME flaws and NOT because thay are great tactics..diablo was anothe for CM4....recreating them is daft and they won't work.

The SW formation consited of 2 defenders, 3 DMC's, 3 MC's, 1 AMC and 1 ST with NO width at all but it destroyed teams in CM01/02 because of flaws...

FM11 is much better because there are now simply no super tactics...stick to doing realistic ones!!!

The WWW formation and the SW formation in CM01/02 are legendary ONLY because they take advantage of ME flaws and NOT because thay are great tactics..diablo was anothe for CM4....recreating them is daft and they won't work.

The SW formation consited of 2 defenders, 3 DMC's, 3 MC's, 1 AMC and 1 ST with NO width at all but it destroyed teams in CM01/02 because of flaws...

FM11 is much better because there are now simply no super tactics...stick to doing realistic ones!!!

Pretty much agree with that. :thup:

Sorry about the late reply, got a bit sidetracked by work :(

If your Centrebacks are good you can stick most of those players upfront.

That may be true with the league I'm in, but not with the Psoh agast prem teams

The WWW formation and the SW formation in CM01/02 are legendary ONLY because they take advantage of ME flaws and NOT because thay are great tactics..diablo was anothe for CM4....

Oh yes I realise that... however;

recreating them is daft and they won't work.

...snip...

While I agree with what you are saying about the SW formation, I don't think that this is the case with WWWII.

It actually works very well, you wing-backs add attacking width (unlike CM) with your MCR & MCL making darting runs into the box, while your AMC & MC act as playmakers (Trequista & Deep-Lying) with your ST being a poacher.

Your basically overloading the opposition defence with 5 attackers, 2 playmakers needing marking. While in defence your 2 CBs & 2 WBs leaves you a man over against a 3 man attack (1ST & 2AMs) with an anchour man and 4 other midfeilders packing the centre of the pitch.

If your opponent is playing with attacking fullbacks then your MCR & MCL are wide enough (because they hae a MC in the middle) to try and counter the FBs while still leaving 3 midfeildes to to take on their midfield.

So it can work in both FM11 and maybe IRL. In FM11 I am having lots of success with this against teams two leagues above me with players who are worse.

Also I am not claiming that this is a super-tactic, as you rightly say there is no longer such a thing... in fact while I made it to the League Cup final, I lost out to Liverpool who were playing 2 up front and Torres's pace ripped my high defensive line apart.

In conclusion I think that paired with a tactic with 5/3 at the back it becomes a rather good tactic.

thoughts?

I'm going to use a formation very similar to this in France with the intention of emulating Dalglish's Liverpool. West Ham aside I think there is actually a lot of scope for this shape to work. Once you have a focal point like Carroll on the pitch I think it's going to be extremely effective. Hopefully.

That was my thinking as well :)

Weird. I vaguely remember WWW (wasn't it Welsh Web Wizard?) from the old CM forum days. :D

Yup... those were the days for old farts like me ;)

I remember that two, can't remember what it was about tho

I think I remember that, was kinda harsh of him :(

He's still on the forums but under a different name now. Won't tell you who he is though :p

Thought he may still be around, do you know if PB is? His PB8 was a favorite of mine too

All I wanted to say is it's spelt To Madeira and Maxim's surname is spelt Tsigalko. That is all. ;)

I know I really can't spell can I, still they were fantastic players

Unless there was a glitch in the Matrix and the one pill swallowed, i'm adamant the artist formerly known as Welsh Web Wizard became Cleon at the crossroads? There are too mamny consistencies in their writing and insights to suggest mere coincidence. But never you mind, Cleon your secret is safe with me. Either that or 'Nurse, i need my medication'.

I never did see you two in the same thread come to think of it ;)

Good luck with this by the way. I'd love to try and re-create some tactics from those days like PB3 or the 442 DDL I made but the former would get smashed to bits and the latter is impossible without good old wibble/wobble.

It just hasn't worked for me unfortunately, my assistant keeps telling me theres too much of a gap and 1 AMC doesnt work.

Although, i do need to add to this so that i'm not totally negative... I can see why a team in the lower leagues or a team like blackpool would be better using this, because it has much more effect against a top team for worst players than the usual. But for a top team, this definately isn't the way forward.

Archived