Ridiculous result...

Goals make huge differences in matches both in RL and FM.

The first goal can give the scoring team a confidence boost but it can also add a little complacency while for the other team it might lead to heads dropping or they might raise their games showing determination & resolve.

At 2-0 the gap becomes a little wider in the players mentality.

3-0 and only the most determined players will show any belief in getting something from a match and at this point a team can easily crumble with more goals on the horizon. We don't see it happen on a regular basis in real life because the managers of the leading team tend to make changes to protect the lead as opposed to chasing more goals.

On the flip side when a team thats behind scores it gives them belief and places doubt in the mind of the leading team. Another goal back and suddenly its game on as their confidence grows.

Good call on all of that.

I think I might've found out what the main problem was, though.

Having played a few more games, I changed my tactic a bit to have my centre backs man marking the centre forwards when playing a team in a 442.

This has completely stopped the weirdness on the screen shot I posted where the centre backs are basically marking the same spot.

They are more evenly spread across the back.

Here is screen shot from later game against West Ham:

toonwestham1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There must have been some horrific defending going on if Chelsea only had 2 clear cut chances and still scored 7....

Yeah - think I've found what I did wrong.

My tactic had my centre backs marking zonally, when Chelsea were playing two up front.

The heat map shows they were basically marking the same central spot, and leaving the channels wide open.

Changed tactic so centre backs man mark, and as you can see on the West Ham screen shot, the two centre backs are in much more sensible positions.

I'll see how it goes from now on!

It's not just your tactics, it's literally everything you do from one match to the next that matters. If you say the wrong thing in the previous match's post-match press-conference it will impact on the next game, if you have a chat with your players during the week (good or bad) it will impact on the next game, if you sign a player, pick up and injury, get a player back from injury, give a new contract, etc etc... EVERYTHING impacts on performances and you need to keep your wits about you to make that impact a positive one every time.

You just said "for the fans" as a teamtalk. Did you not think about getting your big-game players 'fired-up' for the big game? That's one of the key things, you need those who "enjoy the big matches" to play at their best in them! "expect a performance" "pick up where you left off" "expect better" etc are valuable and important team-talks, proper use of them will give you better results.

It's not just your tactics, it's literally everything you do from one match to the next that matters. If you say the wrong thing in the previous match's post-match press-conference it will impact on the next game, if you have a chat with your players during the week (good or bad) it will impact on the next game, if you sign a player, pick up and injury, get a player back from injury, give a new contract, etc etc... EVERYTHING impacts on performances and you need to keep your wits about you to make that impact a positive one every time.

You just said "for the fans" as a teamtalk. Did you not think about getting your big-game players 'fired-up' for the big game? That's one of the key things, you need those who "enjoy the big matches" to play at their best in them! "expect a performance" "pick up where you left off" "expect better" etc are valuable and important team-talks, proper use of them will give you better results.

Yeah - I got the team talk wrong that time I reckon.

I normally don't, and I'm pretty good with all the media stuff - 92% media handling at the moment, and I've only played about 12 games.

Morale is always pretty high in my teams. Players get on with each other. There's no real discord.

I don't tend to say a lot unless I'm asked.

You're right though, I should've challenged a few of my players a bit more. Lazy pre-match team talk to just leave them all on 'for the fans'!

Archived