in need of some tactic help

How would you start home and away games? For most games at home I start with a standard strategy if the odds are even or againts me. All the team instructions are default. If the odds are with me and I'm the stronger team I start with a attack. Team instructions: More expressive and more roaming.

If I'm away and I'm the stronger side I start with standard. Team instructions: Default. If I'm the weaker side I'll start with defensive. Team Instructions: More disciplined, stick to possition and stand off.

I need some advice because I'm not scoring much, and conceding either alot of goals or late goals.

This seems to have happened since the patch.

It's nothing to do with your home/away starting strategy.

Conceding late normally means you haven't tweaked your formation to the specifics of the match. Either that you're playing too high a tempo for your teams skll level, leaving the players tired and susceptible to late goals

It's nothing to do with your home/away starting strategy.

Conceding late normally means you haven't tweaked your formation to the specifics of the match. Either that you're playing too high a tempo for your teams skll level, leaving the players tired and susceptible to late goals

ok thanks.. But how would you start games under these situations/

If you concede too many late goals, try to improve on following:

1) Check if your defensive players concentration is low.

2) Substitute defensive players to bring some fresh legs to defense. My experience says that if defensive player is 'playing with confidence' there's wiser to leave him in for 90 minutes, but otherwise it's a good idea to sub some players or make midfield substitutions so that your team is more defensively minded (DMC to replace AMC on MC position, set your MC support player to MC defend orders etc.). ALWAYS substitute players who 'look complacent' and/or are 'playing nervously'.

3) Kill the game off by using time-wasting tactics

Of course, my personal favorite option is 4) Score a 2nd goal.

Another tip for you - always follow closely motivation screen of opposition team. There are teams with high determination and morale and you can see after scoring, that most of opponent players get "looks motivated" or "fired up" on their motivation screen. That's a huge warning sign. Whatever is the difference in class between 2 teams, even underdog can score a goal if they're very very determined. And they most likely will because your own players experience a drop in motivation after scoring a goal.

In case there are 2-3 players very motivated in opponent's team, you might want to cool them off a bit. Let's say make your team to hard-tackle them. Perhaps even injure them (yeah, not very fair play, though). Closing down is definitely on 'always' in this case.

2) Substitute defensive players to bring some fresh legs to defense. My experience says that if defensive player is 'playing with confidence' there's wiser to leave him in for 90 minutes, but otherwise it's a good idea to sub some players or make midfield substitutions so that your team is more defensively minded (DMC to replace AMC on MC position, set your MC support player to MC defend orders etc.). ALWAYS substitute players who 'look complacent' and/or are 'playing nervously'.

Another tip for you - always follow closely motivation screen of opposition team. There are teams with high determination and morale and you can see after scoring, that most of opponent players get "looks motivated" or "fired up" on their motivation screen. That's a huge warning sign. Whatever is the difference in class between 2 teams, even underdog can score a goal if they're very very determined. And they most likely will because your own players experience a drop in motivation after scoring a goal.

In case there are 2-3 players very motivated in opponent's team, you might want to cool them off a bit. Let's say make your team to hard-tackle them. Perhaps even injure them (yeah, not very fair play, though). Closing down is definitely on 'always' in this case.

What advice would you give on starting strategies?

It's hard to say because I play FM mostly as Ajax. Ajax is a dominant force in Eredivisie and therefore my strategy is always attacking. I have to admit that I've suffered in continental games against stronger teams because I'm not very strong or experienced in defensive tactics, so I often go with same attacking strategy against the likes of Arsenal or Barcelona and get punished (although sometimes it pays off).

My approach to tactics is very straightforward. My FM tactics that I've used for both FM10 and FM11 is following:

1) Take standard 4-5-1

2) Change philosophy to fluid and mentality to attacking

3) Leave defensive line and DMC as it is by standard tactics

4) Make one MC central midfielder support (ball winning midfielder support against very strong teams) and other MC central midfielder attack

5) Make wingers attack (change role from winger to inside forward and wide play from hug touchline to normal depending on player type and footedness)

6) Give your striker a suitable role (complete forward as my favorite, but look more of your striker attributes than overall tactics)

7) Adjust players long shots rating according to their attribute

8) Tweak set pieces as you like

Very simple. I don't mess up creativity of players or mentality of single players. These sliders are as they are in default tactics.

Does it work? I recently finished my first season with Ajax in FM11. Initial squad. Went unbeaten all 34 Eredivisie games (29 wins, 5 draws) and won Dutch Cup.

What advice would you give on starting strategies?

There's nothing wrong with your starting strategies - they're the same as most people use.

The problem is with your tactics / squad selection / substitutions / tactical adjustments etc

Bit hard to say exactly from your OP but it definitely isn't your starting strategy.

daleuk7 it sounds like you seem to be basing your starting strategies on a:

* Games you should win

* Games that will be close

* Games you expect to lose strategy

Can I ask whether each of these is a pre-set tactic that is being trained in match preparation? If this isn't the case and you are changing your starting strategy to a game, tempo, closing down instructions etc. you will be disrupting the team's fluidity. Which can lead to lapses in concentration, lack of understanding between players, hence, you will struggle to break other teams apart and become more susceptible to defensive errors, particularly late in the game.

Having looked at the strategies you employ, I would say they are astute. Apart from possibly the defensive minded strategy. Standing off players, especially in games you are expected to lose can be incredibly dangerous. I personally prefer to close down and aggressively attack opposing players. Think of Blackpool vs. Man Utd as an example. Do you think Blackpool are going to sit off players like Nani, Scholes, Anderson, Fletcher, Carrick? Players who can deliver a killer ball? Unlikely, it's more likely they would attempt to press the ball player and disrupt United's game plan. However, if away from home on large pitches, standing off can lead to less gaps in between your defence, rather than having your players running around like headless chicken after the ball. So it's very much dependent on who you play and where.

It is much more likely that you are making errors elsewhere which is causing problems during the game. Remember, tactics are only a small part of being a manager. You have to make sure your team talks are motivating your players properly, that your player selection game-to-game is spot on and that you are able to identify during the game what isn't working and how to change it.

daleuk7 it sounds like you seem to be basing your starting strategies on a:

* Games you should win

* Games that will be close

* Games you expect to lose strategy

Can I ask whether each of these is a pre-set tactic that is being trained in match preparation? If this isn't the case and you are changing your starting strategy to a game, tempo, closing down instructions etc. you will be disrupting the team's fluidity. Which can lead to lapses in concentration, lack of understanding between players, hence, you will struggle to break other teams apart and become more susceptible to defensive errors, particularly late in the game.

Having looked at the strategies you employ, I would say they are astute. Apart from possibly the defensive minded strategy. Standing off players, especially in games you are expected to lose can be incredibly dangerous. I personally prefer to close down and aggressively attack opposing players. Think of Blackpool vs. Man Utd as an example. Do you think Blackpool are going to sit off players like Nani, Scholes, Anderson, Fletcher, Carrick? Players who can deliver a killer ball? Unlikely, it's more likely they would attempt to press the ball player and disrupt United's game plan. However, if away from home on large pitches, standing off can lead to less gaps in between your defence, rather than having your players running around like headless chicken after the ball. So it's very much dependent on who you play and where.

It is much more likely that you are making errors elsewhere which is causing problems during the game. Remember, tactics are only a small part of being a manager. You have to make sure your team talks are motivating your players properly, that your player selection game-to-game is spot on and that you are able to identify during the game what isn't working and how to change it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what you mean by the pre-set tactic or if i'm changing it?

• 2 weeks later...

What if you concede goals in first 10 minutes .... ?!!?

So often it happens that my asistant manager always rise this problem in meetings...and now became our weak point... i use different "magic tactics around here....

What if you concede goals in first 10 minutes .... ?!!?

So often it happens that my asistant manager always rise this problem in meetings...and now became our weak point... i use different "magic tactics around here....

My suggestion would be to use determined squad. After quick goal they get more motivated and score 2-3 goals to win the game. Seriously, conceding early is way better than conceding late.

But to answer correctly it's important to know how these goals come. I'd say that your players are overconfident before game or your starting strategy is too attacking.

Archived