How to prevent too much of backpasses?

I am currently playing Barcelona but I am facing the problem of backpassing, it's not the problem of the passes getting intercepted but the amount is just too much. I expected a midfield of Xavi and Iniesta to have the highest amount of passing but their passes are outnumbered by the amount of passes from my full backs and keepers, sometimes the passes made by one of my full back is twice the number of one of my central midfielder. It does not affect my scoreline but I felt kinda unrealistic of the amount because the top passer of the game should be a central midfielder so is there any solution for this?

What is the mentality setting for both Xavi and Iniesta? Try to set the mentality of them with 4 notches difference which mean if Xavi has the mentality of "x", then set Iniesta's will be "x+4". Making them to position deeper and higher respectively would increase the time of Xavi to be closed down a bit later and while Iniesta is marked, he will also move to avoid the marking and offer passing option to Xavi. Having Xavi to hold up ball and more roaming by Iniesta may help on what you wish to see. At the same time, make sure that your fullbacks and wingers are near to them so that they have more psaaing options. After all, getting your players' mentality lower than now would help instead.

Time wasting has an effect too... See the thread above for info... Basically though the time wasting bar causes the players to play the ball more (passing along the back 4 ect) if it's set low. The players are forced to play the ball regardless of any forward passing options being available so it gets passed backwards and sideways instead.

What formation are you playing? I play with Barce and adopt a 4-3-3 formation. Due to the narrow style of play, my fullbacks are the only players who offer much width. This means they are the main passing outlet when there is a lot of congestion within the midfield, so they tend to receive a lot of passes. The stats also lie because if you watch the game the fullbacks tend to play simple one-twos with the midfielders so they have high amount of passing, when in reality they are playing 2/3 passes in the same move.

Try setting Xavi as the playmaker, with a free role and focussing the passing through the middle. This reduces the fullback's passing slightly, but in reality they tend to have very high amounts of passes when building from the back.

Thanks for all the advices, I tried to change my time wasting from 0 to 15 and the amount of passes made by fullback did decrease and automatically amount of passes made by Xavi and Iniesta increased although both did not happen drastically. I tried to put Iniesta's mentality 4 more than Xavi's and Xavi did make more passes.

Archived