Another Harrowing Misadventure (Ages Challenge)

Faramir

Daggers Embarass Hill

Looking nothing like the assured side they have been of late, Hill found themselves embarrassed at Larksfield Road as Dag & Red easily dumped them 3-0. Hill survived a scoreless first half when Karl Dryden saved a penalty kick, but neither side had looked particularly good on offense. The Daggers came out much improved from halftime and made Hill pay right away when Matt Glass was unmarked in front to drive home a rebound after Dryden made the initial save. The chance was caused by James Vaughan overrunning the play while trying to deal with Ric Montebello on the wing. Shortly after a critical mistake by Dryden allowed Glass to push the ball into the open goal after Dryden misplayed a ball and let it run past him. Glass then finished the hat-trick with a header into the right corner of the goal as he caught Dryden flat footed on the play. Hill managed little effective offense in the second half and were left with a bruising loss.

"One of our worst efforts of the season," brooded Heartwood.

"Let's hope they take the lessons from it to heart," agreed Pearson.

"That is the final straw on Karl Dryden- he just doesn't have the concentration to be an effective keeper here."

"Well, that injured wrist will keep him out awhile. Who starts against Shrewsbury?"

"Craig Farr if he is ready, but if not it will have to be Paul Barnett."

"What's up with this?" asked Heartwood shaking his head at the report.

"Stuart Watkins went out today with an injury," shrugged Pearson.

"We have exactly two keepers out of 5 healthy."

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hill, Shrewsbury Draw in 1st Leg

Harrow Hill battled to a 2-2 draw at Gay Meadow in the 1st Leg of their FA Trophy Semifinal against Shrewsbury. If not for a maginificent effort by Shrewsbury Keeper Joe Hart, this was a match Hill would have won easily as they had many terrific chances and outshot the home side 16-8 for the match. Hart had to rally himself after missing smothering a ball in the opening minute of play that Lee Sawyer pushed past him and Mark Russell swooped in to hammer into the open goal. Shrewsbury equalized midway through the first half when Kevin Ellison boomed home a 25 yard curving free kick past Craig Farr. Hill had at least 5 excellent chances to regain the lead, but Hart came up with sensational saves to keep things 1-1 at halftime. Shrewsbury took the lead in the opening moments of the second half when Gary Pearson outmuscled Scott Robertson in the air and flicked a header past Farr on a cross from Ben Smith. Hill fought back to even things at 2-2 when Russell made it a brace on a dazzling individual effort. Russell took the ball on the right side, dribbled all the way to the left and took it around two defenders before firing a well placed shot past Hart. That effort earned Russell the MOM honours for the match. Both sides came close to gaining the winning goal in the last ten minutes of play, but Farr and Hart were sharp to keep things even at 2-2 as the two sides will now battle at Larksfield Road to move to the Finals. Stockport defeated Forest Green 2-1 at Highwood Stadium in the 1st Leg of the other Semifinal.

"That Hart! Those were the best chances we have generated in the last few matches and he saved them all," muttered Heartwood.

"Well, not exactly all," grinned Pearson.

Heartwood chuckled, "One of Mark Russell's best matches for us to be sure. I guess I shouldn't complain too much- we put two away goals up on the board."

Scoreless at St.James

1st place Exeter and Harrow Hill battled to an entertaining, but scoreless draw at St.James. Exeter had the better of chances throughout the match, but Craig Farr turned in a brilliant performance in goal for Hill and earned both a clean sheet and MOM honours for the match. Hill was not without chances of their own, but unfortunately lacked crisp execution and finishing that might have allowed Hill to steal the win. Exeter's Jamie Mackie, leading scorer in Conference National, was unable to shake the backline coverage of Hill and couldn't win any headers from Lewis Tozer. It appeared that Exeter had scored a goal late in the second half on a corner, but ex-Hill Shola Oyedele was called for holding Carl Poole on the play and the goal was waved off to the disgust of the sold out St.James faithful. Exeter remains firmly entrenched in 1st place despite the draw.

"A gritty effort, but we didn't actually play that well," observed Heartwood.

"If not for Craig Farr- there is no way we gain a draw in this match," agreed Pearson.

"I hope we have something better for Shrewsbury in the 2nd Leg on Saturday."

Hill Smashes Shrewsbury, Into Finals

It was a display begun in the opening moments of the match as Harrow Hill took complete control of the match and swatted visiting Shrewsbury 5-0 at Larksfield Road to move on to the FA Trophy Finals on a 7-2 aggregate margin. The crowd could sense how Hill was eager for this one and were ready to roar with appreciation when Ash Carew deflected a cross from Robert Burns past Joe Hart in the 2nd minute of play. When Carl Gibson notched a sharp angled goal past Hart to the far right post, it was clear that Hart had none of the magic that sustained Shrewsbury at Gay Meadow. With a 2 goal margin and 2 away goals in hand, Hill settled into a counterattacking approach and Shrewsbury again ran afoul of Mark Russell as he scored a brace before halftime, including his 10th of the season, as Hill went to the dressing room in complete command- ahead 4-0. Shrewsbury had little life in the second half and Alan Wilkins added another Hill goal to cap the scoring in the 5-0 rout that sends Hill to the FA Trophy Final against Stockport which defeated Forest Green on a 3-1 aggregate.

"That was all I could ask for in effort and execution," offered a pleased Heartwood.

"Just one of those matches where the boys did everything right," agreed Pearson.

Southport Causes Hill Stumble

Southport, clearly looking to make a statement ahead of their FA Trophy Final with Harrow Hill, proved very opportunistic as they defeated Hill 2-0 at Haig Avenue. Hill found themselves behind in the opening moments when a Hill throw-in went awry and the counterattack put Steven Davies away free. Davies took his team before sliding his shot under a diving Michael Boddy as the home side went ahead in the 3rd minute. Hill's problem the entire match was that they could not get their shots on goal, as Gareth Jones only had to make 1 save on the 12 shots Hill managed. Hill's problems grew when Kevin Leadbitter curled a 30 yard free kick past Boddy to put Southport ahead 2-0 at halftime. Hill tried to rally in the second half, but their poor shooting short-circuited their rally attempts and they fell by the 2-0 final.

"We didn't play all that bad, except for our shooting," commented Pearson.

"If we can get a few of those chances on goal- I would have felt better about the loss," replied Heartwood. "As it stands, I am disappointed that we couldn't take better advantage of our chances."

Morecambe Stuns Hill With Last Minute Winner

Morecambe overcame an early 2-0 lead by Harrow Hill to walk off with all 3 points from the match as they scored a dramatic match winner in second half injury time to take a 3-2 win at Christie Park. Hill stormed to a quick 2-0 lead seven minutes into the match as goals from Carl Gibson and Mark Russell had them off to a flying start. Morecambe started their fightback when Stuart Fleetwood flicked a long goal kick onward. Mike Neville ran the ball down and Lee Sawyer inexplicably gave up the pursuit, which left Neville the chance to snap a uncontested shot past Craig Farr. Hill still led 2-1 at half, but it was clear the momentum had shifted to the home side. Morecambe equalized midway through the second half when Jamie Shepard leapt above Scott Robertson to deflect a corner past Farr. The match winner came from Mike Strutter as Adrian Nevins failed to mark him and he had an open left side of the goal to score into after a deft pass from MOM Fleetwood.

"Grr, our backline crumbled like swiss cheese today," muttered Heartwood angrily.

"Think they were tired?"

"No, I think they lost their concentration when they needed it most. That was a match I dearly wanted to win after the start we got off to."

Weymouth Wins Close Over Hill

Weymouth managed to score a goal and Harrow Hill was still grasping at straws trying to figure out how to jumpstart their offense, which has been quiet since the explosion against Shrewsbury. Hill again showed they could play with Weymouth as they moved the ball and generated scoring chances. Ill-timed passes and bad choices haunted Hill as they wasted most of their chances before getting a shot off. Weymouth scored the lone goal of the match when Tim Sparv ghosted in to the area and flicked a header past Craig Farr to cap a long cross from Darren Wheeler. Hill was forced to switch formations after defenders Carl Poole and David Mills were stretchered off the pitch. Hill managed to move the ball in close, but just couldn't find a way to get the goal they needed as Ryan Brookfield earned his clean sheet.

"This looks like the beginning of the season all over again," sighed Heartwood.

"Maybe so, but we are playing better right now..."

"That's true, but if we don't get results- then how good we play doesn't really matter."

Shrewsbury Adds to Hill Slump

Shrewsbury gained a measure of revenge as they fought back from one goal deficits twice to defeat Harrow Hill 3-2 at Larksfield Road. Hill got off to a splendid start as they moved the ball well and Paul Wilcox made a neat pass that allowed Brian Harvey to slam his shot off the inside of the left post past Joe Hart for his 5th goal of the season. Shrewsbury wasted little time getting even as Brett Hinks beat Michael Boddy cleanly with a 30 yard rocket. Harvey returned Wilcox's assist with one of his own as his good pass allowed Wilcox to drive a shot past Hart into the right side of the net. Once again, the visitors pegged Hill back immediately as David Edwards outjumped Scott Robertson and flicked the ball to Kelvin Langmead. Tim Spencer had moved up the pitch and was not able to get back as Langmead drilled a shot past Boddy. The match was a see-saw after that as the two sides took turns attacking. Hart and Boddy were both forced to make sharp saves to keep the match at 2-2. The match winner was completely disheartening to Hill, as Boddy came up with a brilliant save on Colin Cryan only to see Jamie Chandler then put the ball into the goal for an own-goal. Hill could manage no rally and dropped a match they could have won.

"Intensely frustrating is what it is Bob. We start well, but wind up with costly defensive mistakes. I thought that phase was over," grumbled Heartwood.

"Like I told you a couple matches ago. We have a bunch of youngsters- mostly 17- that aren't really used to the grind of a long season. You have done a marvelous job of not overtaxing them condition-wise, but mentally it is difficult for them at this ending part. I am seeing the same thing on Under-18s and Reserves, except in both of those we are contending for the top spot- that helps maintain their focus and concentration."

"Not really much we can do about it then, is there?"

"Not really. Just keep preparing them the way you are and see who has the toughness to handle the situation."

Hill Upsets Grays

Harrow Hill put a serious dent in Grays hopes of catching Exeter for the top spot as Hill edged them 1-0 in their last home match at Larksfield Road this season. Hill offered a much more cohesive defense than in their last few matches and it was clear they were determined to avoid the kind of killer mistakes that have been costly in their recent losses. The lone goal of the match came from Carl Gibson. MOM Alex Coulson made an excellent chip pass to find Gibson free at the edge of the six-yard box and his sizzling shot was past Ashley Bayes before he could react for Gibson's 15th goal of the season. Hill never managed another score, but could well have had more in the second half had they only been able to put their chances on net. Michael Owen, Mark Doyle and Paul Cross all missed wide on excellent scoring chances as the Hill counterattacks took full advantage of Grays pushing men forward to try and equalize. Craig Farr earned his clean sheet with a pair of late saves on Dennis Oli and Jamie Slabber to preserve the much needed win.

"That was much more encouraging," calmly observed Pearson.

"I have to say the youngsters got a dose of determination and heart back from somewhere- they certainly showed it well today. It was a great match to leave in the minds of our Larksfield Road fans for next season."

Hill Clips Gravesend

Seemingly fully recovered from the malaise that caused a string of poor performances, Harrow Hill put together another strong defensive effort as they defeated Gravesend 2-0 at Stonebridge Road. Matthew Ogden caused all manner of trouble for Hill in the early stages of the first half, but Hill survived as Craig Farr came up with three big one-on-one saves on the quick forward. Once Hill settled down, they didn't allow Ogden any more good chances the entire match. Hill was patient offensively and it was dazzling run by Paul Wilcox late in the first half that gave them the halftime lead. Wilcox skinned Thomas Rutter just inside midfield and then blazed down the left side before firing back across the goal. Danny Parsons got a hand on Wilcox's shot, but not enough to prevent it from going in for Wilcox's 10th goal of the season. Hill maintained their conservative defensive approach in the second half, but began counterattacking as Gravesend poured men forward. An excellent through ball from Jordan Robertson put Wilcox away and he made it a brace with a rising shot into the right side of the net. Hill really clamped down defensively with the 2-0 lead and MOM Paul Cross was everywhere in midfield ruining the home side attempts to find a way to rally back. Craig Farr closed out another clean sheet in fine style with a last moment save on Charlie MacDonald.

"If only, if only, we hadn't had that bad stretch here at the end," sighed Heartwood.

"Well, we seem to be closing out the season on a good note at least," offered Pearson.

Hill Hammers Hinckley

After spotting relegation-bound Hinckley a goal in the first half, Harrow Hill roared back to swamp the struggling side 4-1 at Marston Stadium. The catalyst for Hill was the blazing Mark Russell who had one of his finest matches in a Hill jersey. Hinckley earned the lead when Alistair John clipped home the rebound after Craig Farr made a good parry on Calvin Zola's hard shot. Russell scored the equalizer when James Vaughan sent a pass ahead that found him in the seam between defenders just beyond the Hinckley area. Russell turned on the jets and split the defenders before making a deft shot past Wayne Shaw. Russell then showed the power on his shot as he blasted one past Shaw after a nicely laid off ball from Ash Carew. Hill was conservative to open the second half and Farr had to be sharp to make saves on John and Zola. Russell completed the hat-trick when he was following the play in and Shaw saved Steve Andrews hard shot. Russell immediately whipped the rebound into the goal. Hill completed the scoring against the demoralized side as Scott Price made a nicely placed long pass that Brian Harvey ran onto. Harvey, on for Russell, struck a finely placed shot just inside the far left post to complete the convincing 4-1 win.

"A good way to end the season before the FA Trophy Final," smiled Pearson.

"I guess 15th place isn't that bad- given our early struggles. But I can't help but look at the standings and see if we had 3 more points we would have finished all the way up in 11th," replied Heartwood.

"I think we have a solid core to build on now."

"And having that- we should be able to avoid some of the struggles we had this season."

"What can I say Bob, you deserve a raise," smiled Heartwood.

"Can I quote you on that?" laughed Pearson.

Harrow Doubles Again

The Harrow Hill Reserves completed an unusual double-double for the minnow side as they repeated as holders of the title for Group 6 Reserves. With the Reserves capturing the crown, it means that both Harrow Hill Reserves and Under-18s have repeated as holders of the respective Groups. The Reserves didn't quite dominate the way the Under-18s had this season, but came on strong after being in 3rd place much of the way to finish well and clinch the title with a match remaining.

Group 6 Reserves

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1- Harrow Hill Reserves 93 pts (+52)

2- Hartlepool Reserves 83 pts (+36)

3- Brighton Reserves 83 pts (+35)

4- Bournemouth Reserves 82 pts (+46)

5- Blackpool Reserves 78 pts (+24)

</pre>

Real Madrid defeated Manchester United 2-1 to capture the Euro Cup.

Aston Villa defeated upstart Luton 3-1 in Extra time to win the FA Cup.

A Bitter Pill for Hill

Harrow Hill grabbed the early lead in their FA Trophy Final against Stockport as Paul Cross fired a terrific 25 yard shot past James Spencer in the 3rd minute of play. Hill dominated the first half, but failed to turn their possession into further scoring as the Stockport defense steadied. In the early moments of the second half Stockport took advantage of a Hill defensive mistake and left Craig Farr stranded as Wayne Smith hammered home the equalizer. Stockport then celebrated at the final whistle as Smith deflected a cross past Farr in second half injury time to complete their fightback win.

"Terribly disappointing," stated Heartwood flatly.

"We should have had them, but we let them get back into it," agreed Pearson.

"What's the word from the Board Jim?"

"They didn't make the decision to make the club professional, though I heard Kettering did. On the other hand, the new training facilities are done and they are top grade- plus we have a youth academy now."

"More work!" said Pearson in a mock moan.

Heartwood chuckled, "It's right up your alley Bob."

"What are expectations this season?"

"Battle bravely against relegation again."

"A worthy goal," smiled Pearson.

"They gave me a variety of budgets and transfer funds. I settled on a 1.5 Million transfer fund with a 23K a week wage budget. With paying for the new facilities and the addition of 150K TV money, we are still in the black at 2.6 Million- pretty much where I thought we would end up."

"No new players lately I notice..."

"I am still looking, but yes there haven't been any new signings of late. We are working on the sale of Adrian Nevins to Yate- that might happen soon."

"It will be nice to get back to training."

"I don't understand why both of them Jim?" asked Pearson. "Especially with Paul Barnett waiting in the wings."

"Because 17 year old Andrew Evans was already signed on Rob and Spencer's recommendations- I had to do that while he was 16. I didn't expect 19 year old Martin Pearson to be available, and was surprised when Wycombe released him. You know how difficult it is to find good keepers Bob, it was worth adding both of them- especially since this is Craig Farr's last season here. That will leave Pearson, Evans, Barnett and Michael Boddy working to show who deserves to be in the Senior mix next season. No matter what- it leaves a quality keeper for you on Reserves."

"True, I don't mind that in the least. It just seems a bit of an unnecessary logjam."

"If it turns out that way- we'll cross that bridge when it becomes apparent."

"There were too many youngster signed to list them all Bob, so I just added them to the depth chart for now."

"That's fine. With the first Conference National match looming, is this a good time to go over how we are adjusting the three sides?"

"A perfect time actually. I just made some final decisions on the Senior side after some hard thinking. One thing I want to note is how I am approaching the Reserves this season."

"Something different?"

"Yes. The Under-18s will have mostly the newer signings- we signed a whole bunch of them based on Rob and Spencer's recommendations- plus we had the first three graduates of our new youth academy."

"Ok, but that will mean you are pushing a lot of players up to the Reserves, right?"

"Not only a lot of players up, but also a few that were on the Senior side all last season will be moving down."

"Youch, that will be quite a lot of players on Reserves then."

"You're right about that. Here's the deal though. I have put a bunch of the youngsters on available for loan. I didn't list the 'core' players on the Reserves that way, but if we can loan out a few of the extra bodies- all the better. Otherwise, you are right about a lot of bodies on the Reserves."

"Ah well, we can make it work. I know that you have to sign all the youngsters you can before they get snapped up by other clubs- so I understand why we have so many bodies on the club. You going to start the review with the Senior side?"

"Ok, I will. Here is a copy of my notes- they have the ages next to them."

Harrow Hill 2008-9 Senior Depth Chart- Season Start

Keepers

Craig Farr 24

Martin Pearson 19

Michael Boddy 19

Andrew Evans 17

</pre>

Leftback

Jamie Chandler 23

Chris Poole 18

Ryan Barnes 17

</pre>

Rightback

Tim Spencer 18

Anthony McMahon 17

Richard Sinclair 18

</pre>

Center Defence

Danny Kamara 17

Scott Robertson 17

Nicky Hawkins 22

David Potter 17

Wayne Wallace 18

David Mills 17

</pre>

Leftwing

Robert Burns 20

Derek Duncan 21

David Morrison 17

</pre>

Rightwing

Alex Coulson 17

Scott Price 18

Jammal Shahin 19

</pre>

Center Mids

Ash Carew 22

Lee Sawyer 18

Michael Owen 17

Paul Cross 18

Tom O'Donnell 18

Andrew Hodgson 18

Bobby Johnson 18

</pre>

Forwards

Martin Clark 18

Paul Wilcox 17

Carl Gibson 18

Jami Puustinen 21

Martin Wharton 18

Jordan Robertson 20

Steve Andrews 17

Andy Hurst 17

Mark Russell* 22

</pre>

Pearson looked up from reading the list, "You weren't kidding about a few names being missing."

Heartwood nodded, "Paul Wilkinson, Alan Wilkins and Brian Harvey will all be there. Craig Daniels didn't quite make it- at least in my mind- so he stays on Reserves for now. The one you will see moving up though is midfielder John O'Keefe. Once he turns 17 in October I plan to bring him up to the Senior side. Because of the abundance of center defenders, I decided to leave Paul Wignall, Chris Wordsworth and Jamie Humphries with you on the Reserves. Same goes for the Simon 'Jet' Jones at rightback- he is close to being ready and is the most explosive player we have- but Tim Spencer is also our best rightback for now and likely will be the Skipper, so for now he stays there."

"James Vaughan? Reserves?"

"Actually he is both on the Reserves and on the transfer list- as is Mark Russell. We have a bunch of younger talent and those two are commanding two of the higher wages on the club, so it was my decision to transfer list them and hopefully find new clubs for them for some money in return."

"But not Ash Carew?"

"No, I decided we will keep him for his final season here. He is happy to play out the contract this season and looking to make a big impression on some of the bigger clubs- pretty good motivation."

"The starting lineup looks unchanged, with the exception of Martin Clark?"

"Martin showed that he and Paul Wilcox might develop into a pretty dynamic combination- granted that was just friendlies, so if it doesn't work out like I hope, I will make adjustments in that."

"Well it was a pretty good performance in friendlies- beating Cobh Ramblers, Athlone Town, Elgin, Cinderford and Newcastle Town. ICT was a tough match and they deserved their win over us."

"Remember how well we did in friendlies last season though... and then we fell flat once the season began. I don't expect that to happen this year, but..."

"How is Craig Farr taking all this? With him knowing this is his last season with us?"

"In stride- like you would expect from the veteran leader of the club. He has been a great example to the three younger keepers- I think they are a bit in awe of him since he has been the backup Keeper on the Romanian National Team for the last two seasons- I do wish they would give him his 1st Cap though, he deserves it."

"Maybe this year they will."

2008-9 Conference National Odds from Totalbet.com

York 6-4

Stockport 7-4

Weymouth 2-1

Grays 2-1

Accrington 5-2

Morecambe 3-1

Harrow Hill 80-1

</pre>

Grays Win Close Over Hill

Grays turned a first half goal into a match-winner as they edged Harrow Hill 1-0 at Recreation Ground to open Conference National play. In truth, Grays had Hill on their backheels much of the match and Hill mounted few good scoring chances as they had trouble making anything work against favored Grays. The lone goal of the match saw Jamie Chandler wandering too far up the pitch and a quick pass by Gavin Heeroo sent Dennis Oli away. Danny Kamara tried to close down Oli, but he fired a shot past Craig Farr inside the far left post as part of his effort that earned him MOM honours. Craig Farr managed to keep Hill in the match in the second half with several timely saves, including a superb one on Oli, but Hill managed nothing threatening against James Courtnage and he had an easy time keeping a clean sheet.

"We certainly didn't look very good in that one," muttered Heartwood.

"Virtually no flow to our offense and our passing- that was very disappointing," agreed Pearson.

"We also made the kind of defensive mistakes we can't afford to make, so lots of work left to do for us."

"Well, I found new homes for James Vaughan and Misiu Mlynowski," stated Heartwood.

"Where are they off to?"

"Redditch paid us 5K for Vaughan, with a 20% sell-on clause. I let Misiu go on free to Farnborough."

"Ugh, he may come back to haunt us..."

"That's possible, but we need to start clearing some room on the roster. I am considering some more dramatic changes as well."

"Such as?"

"Not yet, Bob. I haven't made up my mind if I want to do them yet."

Hill Stands at Scarborough

Harrow Hill gave Scarborough all they could handle at The McCain, but were left with only a 1-1 draw when the final whistle sounded. Hill suffered a double-whammy early in the match as both Jordan Robertson and Martin Wharton limped off with injuries midway through the first half. Andy Hurst made the most of his debut as he scored to give Hill the lead on a nice through ball from MOM David Potter. Hurst was a force throughout the match for Hill as he gave the Scarborough backline fits. Hill was dominating the match and looked good for the win, until a Scarborough corner midway through the second half turned into the equalizer when Simon Weaver was able to deflect it past Martin Pearson. It appeared Hill had scored a dramatic late match winner when Hurst scored again past Jimmy Walker, but the goal was waved off when Hurst was ruled offside on the play. Hill outshot the home side 11-3 and generally looked much more vibrant than in their opening loss to Grays.

"Well, a big improvement in the heart and desire of the club," commented Pearson.

"But, we wasted another chance to win on a defensive mistake. We just can't afford to do that..." grumbled Heartwood.

"At least we earned a point out of this one."

"That's true, it is much better than another loss. I was really impressed with Hurst today."

"That is what he did for us on Reserves last season. Keep giving him chances."

"I will do that."

"Okay, I understand now why you wanted to think about that Jim, but are you sure this is what you want to do?" asked Pearson.

"Yes, even with the upheaval it may cause. The time to do it is now and then work through it."

"Have you made the move yet?"

"Yes, I placed Ash Carew, Nicky Hawkins, Jamie Chandler, Derek Duncan and Mark Russell on the transfer list and offered them to clubs this afternoon."

"Hard to say what effect it will have on the dressing room."

"I am not sure about that either- we will just have to deal with it."

Hill Topples Torquay

Harrow Hill edged Torquay 1-0 in their first match at Larksfield Road for the season as the redcards flew. Hill managed to take the lead as Martin Clark snapped a shot past Simon Royce for his 1st goal at Hill. The goal made up for the earlier bad luck as Clark hit the inside of the righ post and it went behind Royce, but skimmed off the outside of the left post and skittered away. Midway through the first half Michael Owen earned a redcard for hacking down Matt Hewlett with a two footed tackle. Hill stood firm on defense and led by David Potter was able to help Craig Farr turn away all chances to keep the lead going to halftime. Torquay pressured Hill again to start the second half, but the Hill midfield helped out more, led by MOM Alex Coulson, as they remained steady in support of Farr. Clark drew the ire of Torquay and Danny Hughes earned a redcard for a trip from behind on Clark midway through the second half. Five minutes later Torquay was down a man to 10-man Hill as Matthew Young also drew a redcard- this time for pushing Clark after they jostled for a ball. Hill was content to contain Torquay's rally and put their first win on the board for the season.

"I don't know that I have seen quicker redcards," said a thoughtful Heartwood.

"It was pretty quick, but really all three were warranted," replied Pearson.

"At least we have a win in the books now- today was a good effort defensively."

"The sale of Jamie Chandler to Exeter is complete, his agent just let me know they had agreed to a contract with him," said James Heartwood.

"How much did we receive for him?" asked Pearson.

"50K."

"That's not bad. I really like how Ryan Barnes has played in practice of late. I think he may actually be a better option than Carl Poole."

"They will both see a lot of time during the season."

"Two more on their way Bob," mentioned Heartwood.

"Hawkins and Duncan?"

"Actually Derek Duncan and Mark Russell."

"Who wound up with Russell?"

"Leyton Orient paid 45K for him. Exeter was the only bidder on Duncan, they paid 10K up front with some additional clauses."

"Well, I hope this works out as well as you think it will."

"I have my fingers crossed," grinned Heartwood.

Hill Gallops Past Gateshead

Harrow Hill out worked visiting Gateshead and was rewarded with a 2-0 victory at Larksfield Road as they shrugged off all the transfer turmoil of the past week. Catalyst for the Hill win, though not contributing to the scoring in the match, was forward Andy Hurst- who earned MOM honours. The first half was evenly played with both sides generating some decent scoring chances. Michael Boddy came up with a good reflex save on a blast from Ian Armstrong, while Peter Mccorkell made a superb diving save on a curving blast from Andrew Hodgson. Hurst's hard work keyed Hill's first goal. Hurst ran down a long pass in the right corner and showed excellent vision by finding Alex Coulson as he came free at the edge of the area. Coulson fired a short cross that Jami Puustinen overpowered Ryan Francis to deflect past Mccorkell for his 1st goal at Hill. Hill maintained good pressure in the second half and were rewarded in the latter moments when Kevin Andrews tripped Puustinen in the area. David Potter converted the penalty kick to put the final mark on the 2-0 win as Boddy notched the clean sheet.

"I was really happy with the effort today, we kept after them from the opening whistle to the final one," smiled Heartwood.

"We had them flustered in their midfield, they wasted a bunch of passes out of bounds trying to slip their wingers free."

"Jami Puustinen looked very good today- he is a presence when up front."

"He was important today, but Andy Hurst showed again that he can cause opponents a lot of trouble."

Hill Wins at W-s-M

Harrow Hill narrowly edged newly promoted Weston-super-Mare 1-0 at Woodspring Park. Hill played a good first half, but were left with nothing to show for it when Keeper Craig Rowark palmed away Scott Price's attempt to convert a penalty kick in the early going after Richie Sutton tripped Paul Wilcox in the area. Rowark also made a good save on Martin Clark later in the half to keep things scoreless. Craig Farr was his usual steady self for Hill in goal as he made solid saves on Andrew Ottley and Kain Bond to ensure that it remained scoreless. Hill struck for the lone goal early in the second half. Wilcox took a nice pass from Bobby Johnson and then rattled his shot off the crossbar. Before Rowark could react, Clark drove the rebound into the goal. Hill played staunch defense in front of Farr the rest of the match, keyed by an MOM debut from newcomer Wayne Wallace. Farr had to make one more good save, stopping Darren Hawkins' header, but he closed out the clean sheet on the 1-0 road win.

"Excellent defensive work. I am very encouraged by how much committment we have shown to the defensive side of the ball," stated Heartwood.

"To be fair though, we still aren't playing the cream of the Conference National- WSM was only a newly promoted club."

"That is true, but we are winning close matches- something we didn't do last season."

Hill Tumble Newport

Harrow Hill showed flawless offensive execution as they defeated visiting Newport County 3-0 at Larksfield Road. It was clear from the opening whistle that Newport was going to have trouble with Hill's tandem up front as Jami Puustinen and Andy Hurst caused problems with coverage. Newport did manage the first two good chances in the match, but Martin Pearson- on his way to receiving MOM honours- made dazzling saves on Peter Cormack and Louis Dodds. Hill struck for the lead when Puustinen took a ball down on the left side and sent a pretty cross that Hurst deflected past Daniel Tate. Ten minutes later it was Hurst picking out Alex Coulson as he broke in unmarked and Coulson ripped a shot just inside of the left post for his 1st goal of the season. Hill wasn't able to add to the lead as it was 2-0 at half. The Larksfield faithful were surprised to see both Hurst and Puustinen come out to start the second half, but minor injuries were the blame. Martin Wharton took advantage of coming on for Hurst and deflected a long Coulson cross past Tate to cap the scoring in the 3-0 win.

"Another excellent effort. We really showed good ball movement on offense," offered Heartwood.

"Don't forget how good Martin Pearson looked in goal. That was a well and truly earned clean sheet."

"He is looking like a great pick up."

"Nicky Hawkins finally decided his new home would be Port Vale," commented Heartwood.

"What was the amount we received for him?"

"35K."

"Not too bad. We have made- what- over 100K on the player sales?"

"Actually closer to 150K."

"Now, Jim, explain this plan to me one more time."

"It's like this Bob. We have what I consider a talented group of 17-18 year olds. The plan is to keep them together- well somewhat together- and develop them in a wave that hopefully will keep improving and helping us move up the table. By the time they are around 24-25, they should have more value- so we will sell them and hopefully have the next wave of youngsters ready right behind them. I realize along the way we will have the occasional youngster we actually want to buy, but those will only be 2-3 a year."

"Not all of the youngsters we have are going to pan out."

"That is why we have so many of them- because you and I both know that is the case. We keep the best, and the rest will find new homes. One thing about this approach is that we can afford to keep the large numbers of youngsters, because our wages are low compared to the Board's expected weekly wage budget."

"Where do we stand right now on that?"

"The Board budgeted over 20K a week, we are only using under 7K a week. So not only are we building up future value in the youngsters we develop- we are also building up a nice balance in just staying in line with that budget."

"Ah, Ok. Now I understand better your theory of approaching building a small, non-descript club up- the one you spoke about in the press before you even hired me."

"Exactly. Now, we just have to prove it works," stated Heartwood with a grin. "Until then the detractors will continue to have a field day with my 'off-the-wall' theories."

Morecambe, Hill Battle to Exciting Draw

It was clear from the look on several Harrow Hill players faces as they left the Christie Park pitch that they were not satisified with the 2-2 draw they had achieved. Hill was the better club through much of the match and had taken the lead twice. After a scoreless first half that featured many attacks, but few shots on goal, Hill grabbed the lead early in the second half as Paul Wilcox took an excellent skip pass from Peter Wilkinson and snapped a shot inside the far right post past Ryan Robinson. Morecambe equalized at 80 minutes as Hill doggedly tried to protect the lead but saw Danny Carlton score the equalizer when David Potter missed intercepting a centering pass lofted over him. Hill again went in front as Martin Clark took a good pass from Richard Sinclair and fired it past Robinson. They couldn't keep the rallying home side from equalizing as Carlton earned his MOM honours by leaping and flicking a header past Michael Boddy in second half injury time for a dramatic equalizer. Hill missed a last chance when Jordan Robertson missed wide in the last moments.

"I suppose we should be satisfied with the draw, but that should have been a win," sighed Pearson.

"That one is my fault. I should have told David Potter to stick right with Carlton in those last moments."

Southend Trips Hill

Southend survived Harrow Hill's furious rally to edge Hill 1-0 at Larksfield Road. The visitors looked the better side in the first half, but Craig Farr came up with a pair of excellent saves on Wayne Gray to keep the scoreboard spotless. Hill managed a few opportunities, but Andy Hurst passed up the best chance when he tried one pass too many when he was in free on Daryl Flahavan. Hill looked better to open the second half and Flahavan was forced to make a diving stop on Hurst. Southend struck for the only goal shortly after as MOM Barry Cogan leapt high on the far post and deflected a corner past Farr over Ryan Barnes. Hill took to the attack, but wasted several excellent chances to equalize, including one in waning moments of the match where Hurst slotted the ball for unmarked Martin Wharton. Wharton, on for Jami Puustinen pushed a header, but Flahavan snared it before it went in to save the win for the visitors.

"We did a lot of things right in the match, but we have to defend corners better," said Heartwood darkly.

"It was a match where we could have done better, had we stopped that corner," agreed Pearson.

"So far we have lost two better results from matches due to allowing goals on corners. We have to work this out."

"We will adjust the practice schedule," answered Pearson.

Hill Win Wild One at Bootham Crescent

Harrow Hill managed to upend York 2-1 at Bootham Crescent in one of the more unusual matches seen in some time. York started the match with a couple wonderful chances to gain the lead, but saw Martin Pearson come up with fingertip saves on driving shots from both Clayton Donaldson and Andy Bishop. Things took a turn for the worse for the home side when Emmanuel Panther tripped Scott Price in the 32nd minute, drawing his 2nd yellow card and an early shower. Hill took the halftime lead when Peter Wilkinson outleapt Curtis Osano and deflected a Bobby Johnson corner past David Stockdale. York got back to even early in the second half as Wayne Wallace made an untimely jostle of Bishop in the area and Gavin Williams converted the penalty kick. The yellow cards now flowed against Hill and Price received his 2nd yellow card and walking papers at 64 minutes. York had a golden chance to take the lead between the two 10-man sides when David Mills was called for pushing Adrian Forbes in the area. Gavin Williams stepped up again, but this time Pearson made a diving parry to deny them the lead. York was sending men forward and were caught out by Hill as Mills' header picked out Jammal Shahin free on the right. Shahin in turn sent a good pass forward to breaking Lee Sawyer and he smashed a low shot past Stockdale for his 1st goal of the season and the eventual match winner. Hill held firm the rest of the way to finish out the unusual 2-1 win.

"Well, it was a win. A weird win, but a win," grinned Pearson.

"I would prefer them a little less eventful," rumbled Heartwood as he let a small smile loose.

Hill, Shrewsbury Locked in Draw

Harrow Hill battled back to gain a 1-1 draw against Shrewsbury at Gay Meadow in this Tuesday night tilt. Shrewsbury looked much sharper than Hill in the first half and had missed a couple excellent opportunities to take the lead as Greg Pearson and Kevin Langmead had missed close on either side of Michael Boddy. Hill hadn't shown much offensively in the first half as the home side defended effectively in their area. Shrewsbury took the lead late in the half when a defensive giveaway by David Potter allowed a quick counter attack that saw Pearson whistle a shot past Boddy into the right corner of the net. Hill came out with a stronger effort after halftime and equalized when Colin Cryan headed into his own net usder pressure from Martin Wharton, who had come on for injured Carl Gibson. Hill came very close to taking all 3 points in the late stages, but Joe Hart came up with superior saves against David Morrison and Wharton as both tried to score in one-on-one situations.

"A win would have been nicer, but at least we fought back to earn the draw," murmured Heartwood.

"Overall, we didn't play badly. We just let Gary Pearson scoot away and he made us pay."

Nuneaton Numbs Hill

Nuneaton ruined what was set to be a celebration as they took advantage of Harrow Hill's gift in drawing with them 1-1 at Larksfield Road and forcing a replay of their FA Cup 2nd Qualifying match. Hill played a strong first half and had taken the lead when Jordan Robertson skinned Darren Middleton and then drove into the area. Robertson crossed to Jami Puustinen as he came free on the far post and the Puustinen flicked a header past Matthew Ghent. Hill was comfortably maintaining that lead late in the second half when Steve Andrews, who had just come on as Hill's 3rd sub of the match, was knocked out of the match due to a hard tackle by Martin Reeves. Hill then handed the visitors' the equalizer as Anthony McMahon capped a poor match by making a direct backpass to Dean Blenkinsopp. Blenkinsopp whisked a shot past Craig Farr for the equalizer and now the two clubs will meet in Nuneaton in a midweek match to decide the matter.

"Bad luck and a pretty bad choice by Anthony," sighed Pearson.

"With all the griping he has been giving about lack of playing time- Anthony better start showing me some better play than he has," muttered Heartwood.

Hill Nudges Nuneaton

Harrow Hill moved on to the 3rd round of FA Cup Qualifying as they played a strong second half in Nuneaton to broom out the home side 2-0. The first half found neither side able to offer much in the way of attacking football as the defensive positional play was excellent on both sides of the pitch. Hill seemed to have more life as the second half opened and Martin Wharton found space to be able to cross to Andy Hurst. Hurst pushed his header past Matthew Ghent inside the left post to give Hill the lead. It appeared that Nuneaton had evened things when Dean Blenkinsopp flicked a header past Andrew Evans. The goal was waved off when it was ruled that Blenkinsopp had pushed young Evans- making his debut for Hill- and the fans of Manor Park let the Ref know how they viewed that choice. Hill put the match away on a nice counter attack that saw Hurst with space to roam on the left. David Morrison curled a pass to Hurst and he made two moves on the ball before whipping it past Ghent to make it a brace and earn himself MOM honours.

"We did a nice job picking up the tempo and executing our offense in the second half," stated a pleased Heartwood.

"They also did a nice job of controlling their forwards- except for the headers," offered Pearson.

"We were a bit lucky on the call that waved off Blenkinsopp's goal."

Hill Harrows Halifax

Harrow Hill turned unrelenting pressure on the ball into the formula for a road win as they beat Halifax 2-0 at The Shay. Richard Sinclair set the stage for Hill to take the lead early in the first half when he whipped in a centering pass. Scott Price flicked the ball on to unmarked Lee Sawyer and Sawyer snapped his shot past Stephen Henderson to give Hill the early lead. Halifax lofted cross after cross into the Hill area, but David Mills and Wayne Wallace did a nice job of cutting all but a few out. Craig Farr did his part by parrying a fluke cross from Justin Bowler over the crossbar. Hill maintained their defensive pressure in the second half as Halifax desperately tried to rally. The pressure paid off for Hill as Scott Price ran down a ball on right and whipped a pass that found Martin Clark in full stride. Clark coasted into the Halifax area and then crossed to Paul Wilcox as he burst free of his marker on the left side. Wilcox deflected the cross into the left side of the goal and Hill had the goal that ruined the spirit for the home side as the match ended without any further rally attempts.

"Another fine effort. I am really pleased about how the club is now able to maintain their intensity through full matches," observed Heartwood.

"That is a big change. Mostly, these youngsters are making the plan work and are maturing rapidly."

Farnborough Hangs Hill With Draw

The Larksfield Road faithful were treated to a bore draw as Harrow Hill controlled much of the play against visiting Farnborough, but could not turn possession into goals. Hill held sway over the flow of the match throughout, but they had little luck in breaking down a stubborn Farnborough backline that ably supported Keeper Kevin Scriven. Brian O'Neill was the heart of the Farnborough staunch defense and earned MOM honours. Hill came closest when Michael Owen sent a shot that rang off the left upright and was then cleared off the line by O'Neill. Martin Pearson earned an easy clean sheet on Hill side.

"We lacked efficiency in their area," noted Pearson.

"An apt summation Bob. We just could not get players free of their determined marking," agreed Heartwood.

Hill Brooms Evesham

Harrow Hill defeated minnows Evesham in a well played 3-1 win at Larksfield Road in their FA Cup 3rd Round Qualifying match. Hill sputtered at first in the opening portions of the first half, but gained traction on a fine passing sequence that saw Jammal Shahin flick a header forward to Lee Sawyer. Sawyer in turned picked out Martin Wharton coming free in the area and Wharton fired a shot past Andrew Bayliss inside the right post. Hill saw Bayliss make a fine save on Jordan Robertson to keep the visitors only one goal down going to halftime. Early in the second half it was Paul Wilcox, on for a slightly injured Robertson, who slotted the ball to Wharton and he made it a brace and cemented his MOM honours as he flicked a header past Bayliss. Evesham answered, drawing a goal back when Wayne Wallace could not stick closely enough to Matt Lewis. Peter Adeniyi slid a pass through to Lewis and he had enough space to wheel and fire past Michael Boddy. Hill returned to pressuring the visitors and, after Wharton was denied a hat-trick first by hitting the crossbar squarely and then by a nice save by Bayliss, Wilcox jammed in the rebound to cap the scoring by sapping the spirit from Evesham as Hill closed out the win to move them on to FA Cup competition.

"I was pleased with how we responded after their goal. We went right back after them," smiled Heartwood.

"Martin Wharton deserved his MOM selection, but Wilcox helped key our second half efforts- I was glad to see him get a goal for his work."

"You should have seen it Jim. I have never seen the like!" an enthused Pearson said.

"An impressive performance Bob. Six goals...amazing."

"Not just 6 goals Jim. 6 well done goals- no flukes or accidental ones in there for Lee Williams."

"I worry now that he will get scooped up before we can sign him when 17 in January," sighed Heartwood.

"Yes, me too. Today's effort has some press calling him the next 'Michael Owen'."

Heartwood laughed, "And how does our 'Michael Owen' take that?"

"He was having fun with it, teasing Lee about it," said Pearson with a chuckle.

Hill Crumple Cards

In one of their best efforts this season, Harrow Hill convincingly demonstrated to 2nd place Woking that Hill is a club to be contended with as they handed them a stinging 3-1 setback at Larksfield Road. After coming close in the early moments, Hill struck for the lead when Bobby Johnson skinned Lewis Killeen with an excellent tackle and sent Martin Clark away with a through ball. Clark continued to show why Hill wanted to add him as he blasted a shot past Shwan Jalal for the lead midway through the first half. Johnson then added to the lead with his 1st goal at Hill when he put a strong header on a long cross from Tim Spencer to make it a 2-0 Hill halftime lead. It appeared that Hill might put the match away early in the second half, but Jalal came up with saves on Carl Gibson and Alex Coulson to keep things close. Woking drew a goal back thanks to a gift from David Morrison, as his backpass zipped past Danny Kamara and Killeen swooped in and fired a shot past Andrew Evans to make it 2-1. Hill hit back immediately to keep the visitors from gaining momentum as Michael Owen scored his 1st goal at Hill on a well placed shot into the left side of the net after a finely executed passing sequence. Evans had no further trouble keeping Woking at bay as Hill closed out an impressive win. Coulson earned MOM honours for his mazy runs and passing.

"It was a great effort, a lot of nicely done passing on offense today," offered Pearson.

"They did execute well, but I was more impressed how we shrugged off Morrison's mistake and scored another goal to really take the wind out of their sails," replied Heartwood.

"What are you feeding those guys?" said Heartwood teasingly.

Pearson laughed, "I wish I could bottle it up."

"So do I! A 9-0 win followed by a 7-0 win...you really have the Under-18s going."

"The players are just gelling nicely. The scouts and you did a good job in gaining us more impressive youngsters."

Hill Clips Cambridge

Harrow Hill narrowly edged Cambridge 1-0 at Larksfield Road in a evenly played and entertaining match. Both sides showed a lot of life in the match and the Larksfield faithful found the edges of their seats the main place to reside while watching the match. Martin Pearson shone brightly in the Hill goal as he played a superb match. He made two brilliant saves in the early going as he stopped John Turner in a one-on-one situation and then tipped a header from MOM Andy Duncan over the crossbar on a corner. Hill struck for the only goal of the match when Andy Hurst and Lee Sawyer played a 1-2 to allow Hurst to break in free. Hurst slipped his shot past Matthew Mann inside the left post for his 5th goal of the season. The pace was frantic as both sides played up and down the pitch on attacks. Both Pearson and Mann were superb in keeping the match locked at 1-0 and Hill was very happy when the final whistle found them still holding the winning margin.

"We wouldn't have won a match like this the last couple seasons," stated Pearson.

"I have to agree with you on that Bob. There would have been a mistake somewhere along the line. This season we are showing the type of focus and determination I hoped we would see. I credit that to you, because most of them on the Senior side developed that in their success on the Under-18s and Reserve play."

Pearson shrugged, "Those are the same qualities we are trying to instill club-wide."

"But now you understand why I didn't mind sending our veterans off on transfers earlier? I wanted all the same outlook and unfortately the veterans were just a bit jaded about it."

Hill Rumbles Over Redbridge

Harrow Hill gave visiting Redbridge precious little opportunity to think about an upset, as they were busy dealing with the Hill pressure in falling to them 2-0 at Larksfield Road in their 4th Round Qualifier for the FA Trophy. Hill maintained control of the play through the entire match, with Redbridge limited to a couple free kicks and a corner as their only offensive spark. Hill took the lead when MOM Alex Coulson made a short, sharp cross that Martin Clark volleyed past Jake Slade for his 5th goal of the season. Hill took that 1-0 lead to halftime, but added to the pressure to start the second half. Michael Owen's quick darting pass found Coulson free with the whole right side open and he after an extended run he made a nice move before sliding a shot past Slade to give Hill a more comfortable 2-0 lead. Craig Farr celebrated his return from the Romanian National side with an easy clean sheet as Hill moves on in attempting to defend their FA Trophy.

"A good workmanlike effort. I like seeing those type too," said a pleased Heartwood.

"We could easily have had more goals- it was a solid performance," agreed Pearson.

Hill Wins Wild Match Over Weymouth

In a thoroughly entertaining match, at least for the fans, Harrow Hill outlasted Weymouth to score a 5-4 win at Wessex Stadium. The hero of the match for Hill was Paul Wilcox, who came off the bench to replace injured Martin Wharton, as he scored 4 goals including the dramatic match winner late in the second half while putting the Weymouth backline to the sword. Weymouth took the lead when Hill was stuck with only 10 players while Wharton was being initially administered to. Adrian Webster blasted a rising shot past Michael Boddy for the lead. Hill fought back and gained the lead as Wilcox first assisted on a nice goal by Andy Hurst and then scored his 1st goal by deflecting a cross from Peter Wilkinson past Ryan Brookfield. Hill moved in front 3-1 early in the second half as Wilcox made it a brace by taking a through ball from Wayne Wallace and ripping a shot past Brookfield. Weymouth suddenly found life and Chukki Eribenne scored a brace within 3 minutes time as he plowed a shot past Boddy and then flicked a header past him for the equalizer. Wessex Stadium was roaring as Daniel Webb then returned the lead to Weymouth with a well placed shot into the right side of the goal. Hill had plenty of spirit and it was Wilcox who pegged them back immediately by completing his hat-trick thanks to a great run after skinning Daniel Nash of the ball. With time winding down in the second half, Brookfield looked to be the hero for Weymouth as he stopped Hurst, Wilcox and then Lee Sawyer in point-blank scoring chances. Instead, Brookfield wound up the goat as he bobbled a backpass under pressure from Wilcox and Wilcox took the ball away and slotted a 20 yard match winner for his 4th goal. Hill survived the last moments to mob Wilcox after the final whistle sounded.

Heartwood said with pride, "I don't know that I have ever seen a more impressive individual effort. Paul carried us to the win today."

"And he came off the bench to do it," agreed Pearson.

"We still have some work to do on the defensive side- we played pretty badly in the second half."

"Yes, the effort on defense wasn't close to what we have shown most of the season."

"I was angry at him, but I managed to keep my composure," sighed Heartwood as he related the story to Pearson.

"So, Michael Boddy did actually want to be placed on the transfer list?"

"Yes, and he is there at his request- but at the amount that I believe reflects his value. If someone wants to offer that, then he can move. Otherwise...."

"I take it he is out of the rotation?"

"Yes. Andrew Evans will take gain more playing time because of that- which may work out well for us in any case."

Hill Edges Gravesend

Harrow Hill took advantage of a mistake by Gravesend as they managed to get the goal they needed to win out 1-0 at Larksfield Road. Hill kept the Gravesend offense at bay throughout the match as they only allowed them one shot in the entire match while helping Martin Pearson to an easy clean sheet. The lone goal in the match came from opportunistic Martin Clark as he collected an errant backpass from Sam Tucknott meant for Andy Taylor and launched an audacious lob over Keeper Aaron Kerr. Clark's goal and unrelenting pressure on the Gravesend backline earned him MOM honours for the match. Kerr made a couple nice second half saves to keep the scoreline from being more in Hill's favor.

"I was happy that Martin Clark got that goal, we seemed to lack verve offensively today," stated Pearson.

"Possibly because John O'Keefe was making his debut. The others didn't know exactly where he was going to be."

"It will be a learning process."

"It may have to wait awhile for the second lesson then, because O'Keefe is out 3 weeks due to his bad wrist."

Hill Moves Past Hinckley

Harrow Hill dumped ECN leading Hinckley 2-0 at Larksfield Road in their 1st Round FA Cup match. Hinckley looked the better of the clubs in the early going and forced Craig Farr to make good saves on Calvin Zola and Godfrey Torto in the early moments as the Larksfield faithful looked on in anguish. Hill then turned things around and an opportune bounce off a throw-in put the ball right to MOM Andrew Hodgson. Hodgson slipped a pass into Andy Hurst and Hurst took the ball around Keeper Adam Sadler to give Hill the lead midway through the first half. The match remained closely played as the two sides moved into the second half. Hill finally put their stamp on the win as Tom O'Donnell deflected a Michael Owen corner past Sadler for his 1st goal of the season midway through the second half. Hill then put the defensive clamps on the visiting side to help Farr close out a clean sheet as they will move on to the 2nd Round of FA Cup competition.

"Another fine effort by Craig Farr- if not for him we would have been trailing early in the match," commented Pearson.

"He was superb. I was really pleased with Andrew Hodgson today. He really showed how much of an impact he can be in the midfield today."

Stockport Slips Hill

Harrow Hill lost a close 1-0 decision to Stockport at Larksfield Road. Despite Hill having the better of play and the better of chances during the match, it was the visitors who were able to put a mark on the scoreboard. The goal came early on as dangerous Adam Le Fondre outleapt Danny Kamara to flick a header past Andrew Evans on a long centering pass from MOM Michael Raynes. With the lead, Stockport settled in to frustrate Hill in their area and accomplished just that. Keeper Chris Tardif had everything to do with Stockport winning as he made excellent saves on Carl Gibson, Martin Clark and Alex Coulson to help preserve the close win.

"It was a nice run of winning, while it lasted," commented Pearson.

"We could have continued it- but we didn't do well offensively today. We just missed a lot of passes and wasted possessions."

"The defense settled down after the goal."

"It wasn't a good start, but yes- we looked solid defensively."

Hill, Lancaster Replay Looms

Harrow Hill will be forced into a replay with Lancaster after the two sides wound up in a scoreless draw in their FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round match at Larksfield Road. It was clear from the outset that Lancaster was going to be content playing for a clean sheet. They did not manage a shot on goal in the match and only rarely had the ball on the Hill side of the pitch. The visitors did do an excellent job thwarting Hill's attempted passes to anyone near the goal. Hill swirled around the edges on the attack but really had only a couple good scoring chances in the match as Neil Lewis put up a clean sheet. It was an easy clean sheet for Hill's Martin Pearson.

"We have to execute better when we get the ball in close," stated Heartwood.

"Remember we don't really have a fully healthy lineup and it showed in this match," replied Pearson.

Hill Out on Penalties

Harrow Hill's attempt to defend their FA Trophy win of last season fell by the wayside as they were broomed out of the competition on Penalties after a scoreless draw at Lancaster. It appeared that Lancaster's goal from the beginning of the match was to force the match into penalties as they managed only 2 shots the entire match. Hill didn't help themselves by putting only 1 of 11 shots on goal and they were again continually frustrated by timely tackling and bad passing. Neil Lewis put up the clean sheet for the home side and made the save on Andy Hurst's penalty kick that moved Lancaster onward in the competition. Andrew Evans earned the clean sheet for Hill, but had no luck in stopping Penalties as Lancaster converted all of them against him. Tom O'Donnell was selected as MOM of the match.

"We struggled again offensively. Nothing was working again today," muttered Heartwood.

"Our passing lacked zip- we left them too many where it was easy to tackle them away."

"Whatever it was, we have to get this fixed and right soon."

"Well, that is one less headache," commented Pearson.

"It was something I worried about at the beginning of the season. 4 keepers are hard to keep happy. Michael Boddy was the first one to be unhappy and also the lesser of the 3 that I was concerned about keeping, so it made sense to oblige his request."

"How much did Harlow pay us for him?"

"30K initially, with some sell-on clauses and such."

Own Goal Ruins Hill

An inexcusable own goal ruined a brilliant effort by Martin Pearson and left Harrow Hill with an unsatisyfing 1-1 draw in the match against Kidderminster at Aggborough. Hill took the lead early in the match as Paul Wilcox escaped coverage and Alex Coulson found him free. Wilcox drove toward the net and slipped a shot inside the near right post past John Danby. Pearson was providing a dazzling exhibition that included two diving stops on close-in free kicks and also a fingertip save on a header from Neil Wood. Pearson couldn't save the own-goal put in by Wayne Wallace after he made another diving save on a free kick and that was the only dent in his armour on the day. Pearson's work in the second half helped preserve Hill splitting the points in the match as the Hill backline was very inconsistent in their play.

"I guess I should be happy we took a point away from this match, as without the play of Martin Pearson this would have been a loss," stated Heartwood.

"True, but it stings that the equalizer was ours and not theirs. It was just a terrifically bad choice by Wayne Wallace to try playing that ball."

"Especially since there were any of their players right there and Pearson would have had time to scoop it up."

Accrington Aces Hill

Accrington Stanley did a masterful job of taking Harrow Hill out of their style of play as they defeated Hill 2-0 at Larksfield Road. Hill was upset with the Assistant Referee early on as Carl Gibson lost two goals when both were waved off due to him being ruled offsides. When Martin Smith was apparently offside on the goal that Accrington scored to give them the halftime lead, you could sense the fury and frustration of both the crowd and the Hill bench. Accrington kept Hill from gaining any offensive flow in the match and they helped douse Hill's rally hopes when Michael Welch deflected a corner past Craig Farr midway through the second half.

"I am still mad about the calls, but Smith should not have been free like that to get the pass he scored on," fumed Heartwood.

"That was a mistake," agreed Pearson. "We just didn't move the ball at all today and our midfield was the problem."

"Yes," sighed Heartwood. "I may need to think about some changes."

Kettering Kools Hill

Kettering made an early goal stand up for the margin of victory as they edged Harrow Hill 1-0 at Rockingham Road. Hill played much better than they did in their previous match against Accrington, but failed miserably in taking advantage of scoring opportunities. Kettering leaped into the lead when Luke Townsend deflected a cross from Oliver Burgess past Andrew Evans. Kettering managed only sporadic forays into the Hill area the rest of the match, but led by an MOM performance from Keeper Lewis Edge, they thwarted Hill's chances. Hill also deserves blame as their passing was clearly inexact and ineffective for large stretches of the match. The loss continued to highlight Hill's offensive woes of late, including Lee Sawyer's agonizing miss of an empty goal in second half injury time.

"It just isn't working," murmured Heartwood.

"We haven't been sharp on either side of the ball in these last few matches- and we are paying the price." agreed Pearson.

Hill Fight for Win Over Forest Green

Harrow Hill finally got back to their winning ways as they survived an extremely rough match to defeat Forest Green 2-1 at Larksfield Road. Hill came out with spirit and determination in the first half and finally were able to convert those to goals. Andy Hurst was able to deflect a cross from Paul Wilcox past Tommy Forecast to give Hill the early lead. Less than 4 minutes later, Wilcox helped cement his MOM selection as he took a nicely timed pass from Tim Spencer and fired a shot past Forecast inside the right post. Hill missed many opportunities to add to the lead as they struggled to keep their shots on goal. It was clear from the match totals that this was a physical match, with 24 fouls, 6 yellow cards and 3 players leaving with injuries. The second half saw much more of that play from the visiting side as they sought to fight back. Hill failed to add to their lead and then were left with only 10 men for the last minutes of play after Ryan Barnes was carted off after all 3 Hill substitutions had been made. Forest Green took advantage and Chris Jackson flicked a header past Martin Pearson to ruin his clean sheet and make the Hill fans nervous. Hill survived until the final whistle to claim the much needed win.

"Whew! I was worried..." said Heartwood.

"Me too, but the boys hung with it and Danny Kamara made two nice plays to cut out excellent chances for them," agreed Pearson."

"With Ryan out, I will need someone to alternate with Chris Poole at leftback."

"How long is Ryan out?"

"Likely a month. He broke three ribs."

"Hmm, Paul Freeman or Mark Miller?"

"I thought about them, but I think I want Gary Howard."

"Gary really hasn't been playing leftback though."

"He has in the past. I think this is the time to see if he can play at Senior level."

"Ok, I will let him know. I am sure he will be glad of the chance."

Hill Numbs Notts County

Harrow Hill pulled off a stunning surprise as they defeated Notts County 1-0 at Larksfield Road in their 2nd Round FA Cup matchup. Hill showed they weren't going to give the heavily favored club anything in the early going as they pressured the ball and generally wouldn't allow Notts up the pitch. The first half remained scoreless going to the dressing room as Notts Keeper Nikki Bull had come up with saves on Jami Puustinen and Jordan Robertson. Early in the second half it was Robertson's pressure that caused Chris Shanks to make a hurried backpass to Bull. That turned into disaster for the visitors as Steve Andrews, on for Puustinen, swooped in and swept the ball past a stranded Bull for the only goal of the match. Notts County sent men forward as they tried to equalize, but found the Hill backline very stubborn and Craig Farr impossible to solve. The Larksfield fans celebrated with gusto as the final whistle sounded on the win. Young leftwinger Nathan Edwards received MOM honours for his flowing play up and down the left side.

"A great effort from all of them," said Heartwood with pride.

"It was nice to see Steve Andrews get a goal. He really hasn't had much luck around the goal the last two seasons."

"Though I was surprised that Nathan Edwards got the MOM, I was happy because he deserved it."

Hill Dices the Daggers

In an entertaining match, Harrow Hill managed to hang on and hand Dag & Red a 2-1 loss at Glyn Hopkin Stadium. Hill struck for the lead early in the match as Jammal Shahin hooked a long pass to running Martin Clark. Clark drove a shot inside the right post past Keeper Jan Budtz to give Hill a 1-0 margin. Both sides were comparable in quickness and the match saw lightning fast attacking and defending up and down the pitch, to the delight of the crowd. Hill maintained their lead to halftime, but Peter Wilkinson was called for a push in the area and the Daggers seemed set to even the match in the opening moments of the second half. Martin Pearson did a great job of smothering Stevie Ferguson's penalty to keep the home side off the board. Shortly after it was the Shahin-Clark combination again for Hill as Clark made it a brace by striking a rising shot into the upper left corner of the goal. The home side poured forward as they tried to get back into the match and another penalty was awarded when Danny Kamara was called for a push in the area. This time Ferguson converted the penalty kick past Pearson and it was back to a one-goal match with minutes to play. Hill hung on dearly and the players were clearly both relieved and exhausted when the final whistle sounded on the 2-1 Hill road win.

"A nice win, we worked hard for it," observed Pearson.

"We also paid for it too- I just heard from Mark Leather- Tim Spencer's ankle will keep him out at least a month, maybe two."

"Do you want a rightback to move up?"

"Yes, it is time we started seeing what Simon Jones can do."

"How about Gary Bailey instead. He has been better this season and deserves the chance more."

"Ok, let Gary know then."

Hill Over Oxford

The quick strike offense of Harrow Hill shone brightly today as they managed to defeat Oxford 2-0 at Larksfield Road. Hill dominated large swaths of the match, but it was their quick attack that set up the goals that made the difference in the match. A quick pass from Alex Coulson found Darren Adams free just inside the edge of the Oxford area. Adams then deftly slipped a pass by Luke Howell and Martin Wharton had space to snap a shot past Lenny Pidgeley to earn Hill a 1-0 halftime lead. Hill missed several other opportunities to add to their lead later in the first half and early in the second half. They were finally able to score their 2nd goal as Craig Watts headed a Pidgeley goal kick up the middle of the pitch to Adams. Adams burst past two defenders and then slashed a shot inside the right post. Hill throttled the Oxford midfield and never allowed the visitors to make a strong case for rallying as they helped Andrew Evans close out another clean sheet. Hill's young winger- Adam Patterson- received MOM honours.

"A very pleasant effort by everyone," beamed Pearson.

"We keep coming out and doing our job," agreed Heartwood.

"Wharton and Adams certainly showed why they are so dangerous. Once they made up their minds to shoot it was only seconds before the ball was on its way to the goal."

Bore Draw at Larksfield

Harrow Hill dominated visiting Chester at Larksfield Road, but were left with a disappointing scoreless draw when they failed to put their shots on net. Hill limited Chester to two shots for the entire match and had continual pressure on the visitors, but repeated failures to put their shots to good use left them unable to get the goal they needed for the win. Chester Keeper Bradie Clark did have to make a couple good saves to help his side split the points, but it was more Hill's failure than his good work that got him a clean sheet. Craig Farr had an easy clean sheet for Hill. Winger Nathan Edwards earned MOM honours.

"We have got to get our shots on goal Bob, we can't afford to waste well played matches- like we did today," fumed Heartwood.

"There were lots of things we did right today, but shooting wasn't one of them," agreed Pearson.

Conference National Mid-Season Table

1- Southend 48 pts (+23)

2- Torquay 44 pts (+17)

3- York 43 pts (+10)

4- Harrow Hill 42 pts (+11)

5- Morecambe 42 pts (+8)

6- Woking 41 pts (+12)

7- Scarborough 41 pts (+12)

8- Grays 39 pts (+7)

9- Stockport 37 pts (+11)

</pre>

"Well, midseason Bob. What do you think so far?" asked James Heartwood.

"I am pretty happy with where we are on the table," answered Bob Pearson.

"As am I. Reaching midseason and being in contention for the playoffs was my private goal."

"Now, comes the bigger question- can our youngsters maintain their play."

Heartwood nodded, "I feel pretty good about that one. Because we have basically been alternating two entire lineups throughout the season- no players have been overworked. Sure, we have still had our injuries, but we have also handled those pretty well."

"Those injuries have not really hurt us," agreed Pearson. "Better is that we have seen some more youngsters step up when players went down with injuries. That has all been encouraging."

"One thing I will be doing tomorrow Bob. I will begin trying to trim the Senior side."

"Oh, you finally made up your mind to do that? Who are the likely players to move on to the transfer list?"

"At least two forwards- likely Jordan Robertson, because he has a lot of value, and Steve Andrews, because he hasn't really shown me that he is going to be an impact player for us."

Pearson nodded thoughtfully, "I wondered if you might with Jordan. He really hasn't improved much in the last couple seasons. He isn't a bad player and would certainly help another club, but I agree he might not be of best use here."

"I am thinking our forward rotation will include Martin Clark, Paul Wilcox, Martin Wharton, Andy Hurst and Jami Puustinen. If I manage to sell Steve and Jordan, I will be bringing Alan Wilkins back up to complete the rotation for the remainder of this season."

"Anyone else?"

"Tom O'Donnell will be going on the list too. We have a bit more good center mids than we need. I like Tom a lot, but I think the others are better. No wingers right now, but I suspect we will have to address that more during the summer."

"Any defenders?"

"Not yet. I think that will be an issue in the summer as well. We are fine as far as Keepers go, so no changes there until I transfer list Craig Farr after the season."

"Did you have any purchases in mind?"

"I don't think so. I went over the reports and our shortlist, but I just don't see anyone who might be willing to come here that will make more of an impact than the players we have here."

"One down, several to go," flatly stated Heartwood.

"Who?"

"Tom O'Donnell is on his way to Hitchin for 26K."

Archived