preventing a keeper from hoofing it when I'm trying to retain possession

How does one prevent a keeper from hoofing free kicks right to the opposition centrebacks in the latter stages of the game? I've set distribution to "Defender Collect," through balls to "Rarely" and use Retain Possession/Pass to Feet. Yet, invariably, if I'm holding onto a thin lead with minutes to go, my keeper decides to invite late equalizers with wild-eyed long balls.

I don't think it is so much the keeper settings but, more-so the pressure being exerted by the opposition.

I have noticed quite often that if my team are being closed down or put under pressure the keeper will look to get the ball as far forward as possible.

This I think is to try and relieve some of the pressure in our own half, and also hopefully to create some broken play further up the field where there may be an opportunity to win back the ball, regroup, and then settle the play.

With the events you are describing it could be something similar. You are holding on to a narrow lead, the opposition is pushing forward and increasing pressure, a mistake in your own half/final third, could concede a goal. Possibly your back four are being mark quite tightly so there is not much room for them and as such no good passing options for the keeper.

Might be a little crazy, but maybe try long kick. The thinking being, the pressure is all in your half, so your strikers may have some room to breath. The keeper being deliberately asked to kick long instead of a wild hoof may look to target your strikers or space for your strikers.

You need to play wider with your back four mentality to be lower. While your defenders stay closer (lower mentality) to the goalkeeper, and the space among the back four is greater (wider width), then your goalkeeper will pass to your defenders. Giving a high creative freedom, through ball sometimes and hold up ball to your GOALKEEPER will create some ball keeping passes among your goalkeeper and back four.

You need to play wider with your back four mentality to be lower. While your defenders stay closer (lower mentality) to the goalkeeper, and the space among the back four is greater (wider width), then your goalkeeper will pass to your defenders. Giving a high creative freedom, through ball sometimes and hold up ball to your GOALKEEPER will create some ball keeping passes among your goalkeeper and back four.

No no. You don't need lower mentality on your back four. If you do that, they will always do back passes to your goalkeeper when they're in possession.

If you set defender collect to his individual instruction and distribute to your back four ( usually DR/L ), the target back four will always come closer to receive from your goalkeeper, no matter how high their mentalities

Yours defender are preoccupied by the attacking player of opposing team, who need a goal at any cost. Best bet for GK in this situation : move the ball as far away as possible and as near as the next goal.

Push up the defensive line, although i don't think it will help much.

I had this problem with Reina in my Liverpool game but solved it be using Distribute To the Right Fullback and Quick Throw. now he very raely does it at all.

Doesn't the Left Attacking Player Pressurize your Right back in such situations.

Archived