FM 11 - Sporting CP Thread - As big as the biggest in Europe

Welcome to the FM 11 thread of

Sporting_Clube_de_Portugal.png

"As big as the biggest in Europe"

Club Information

Name: Sporting Clube de Portugal

Founded: 1st July 1906

Stadium: Estádio José de Alvalade Século XXI (or simply Alvalade XXI) - capacity for 50,446 spectators - built for Euro 2004

Chairman Status: Loves the Club

Fierce Rivals: SL Benfica, FC Porto

Other rivals: Belenenses

Legends: Luís Figo

Icons: Fernando Peyroteo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Manuel Fernandes, Liédson, Vitor Damas, Ricardo Sá Pinto, Oceano Cruz, Krassimir Balakov, Alberto Acosta

Favoured Personnel: None

Youth Facilities: Excellent youth facilities & Youth Academy

Training Facilities: Top training facilities

Corporate Facilities: Top Corporate Facilities

Continental Competition: Europa League

Media prediction: 3rd

Club Finances

Financial Status: Rich

Loans Outstanding: None

Wages: The club is currently spending €1.21M per month on wages

Start of season expectations

Title Challenge: Transfer Budget €2M and Wage Budget €1.21M p/m

Winner: Transfer Budget €2.5M and Wage Budget €1.4M p/m

A little bit of history

"“We want sporting to be a big club, as big as the biggest in Europe”. This vote of approval was given on the 8th of May 1906 by José Alvalade and with this vote came the colour green: The colour of hope. One hundred years later this infamous quote has more than justified its utterance, as Sporting embraces its unique past and launches itself into new challenges in the future." - in Sporting Clube de Portugal Website

I guess no one will read a long text (those who want, wikipedia and similars are your friends and don't forget to visit Sporting official website), so ...

Sporting, or simply SCP, is a Portuguese football team from the city of Lisbon, the portuguese capital. It was founded in 1906, it is one of the Três Grandes, or Big Three, football clubs in Portugal, with Sport Lisboa e Benfica and Futebol Clube do Portol being the other two clubs, Sporting's two biggest rivals.

Although football is the most important sport in Portugal, Sporting is an eclectic club with a lot of titles in all kind of sports, among them athletics (notable athletes like Carlos Lopes who won the Olympic Marathon Gold Medal in '84, and it is the oldest olympic marathon winner with 37 years; Francis Obikwelu, silver medal in Athens '04's 100m; Naide Gomes and so on) swimming, billiards, handball, table tennis, and futsal. In fact, Sporting is the second european club with the most titles won, behind Barcelona.

Achievements

National Honors:

-Liga Sagres Champions: 1941, 1944, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1958, 1962, 1966, 1970, 1974, 1980, 1982, 2000, 2002

-Portuguese Cup: 1941, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1954, 1963, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1995, 2002, 2007, 2008

-Portuguese Super Cup: 1982, 1987, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2008

European Honors:

-European Cup Winners Cup: 1964

-Euro Cup: Runners Up: 2005

Recent past, present and future:

In the recent years, Sporting is under-performing, we don't win a championship since 2002 (oh, the glorious days of Jardel, João Pinto and many others), and in the last two years (09/10 and 10/11 seasons), I may say that we didn't honor the club and we were 28 points behind Benfica in 09/10 and in the recently finished season 36 points behind Porto. However the next season is being prepared right away by the new direction (Godinho Lopes and his crew) who is bringing old glories to work at the club. The next year manager will be Domingos Paciência (yeah, Braga's manager who was runner-up in Europa League this year) and many players are being related to Sporting so let's see what'll happen.

In development ...

Hey guys!

For those who are unaware of the Portuguese League (you don't miss that much, trust me), Sporting is one of the 3 "Grandes" along with Benfica and Porto. Although we didn't have much success in the late years, we don't win a championship since 01/02, every year, Sporting is a contender to the title. But let's not talk about this, soon i'll have the OP finished and you'll know more about the club ...

And now, let's talk about FM. What've you already achieved? Did you brought back Cristiano Ronaldo in the 2016/2017? Share your opinions and experience with this awesome club!

I'm in my second season with Sporting!

Won the title and BWIN Cup in my first season. Struggling a little in my second season though. I'm 3rd with 4 games left and Porto and Benfica are running away! Just won the BWIN Cup again however :) My aim is to make Sporting the biggest club in Portugal!

Made one season with SCP, lost the Bwin cup final do FCP, was 2nd with the same points as FCP and won the Uefa Cup, lost 3 games all season, scored 189 goals...Vukcevic, Matias Fernandez, Djaló and Humberto Suazo are a beast of a quartet...lost some interest in making a second season though...

Archived