Mark Bosnich gives a look into Sir Alex's methods on team talks, training and tactics

Mark Bosnich might be regarded as a bit of a laughing stock these days but he is a (in my opinion) very astute pundit here in Australia. It's fascinating to watch because he isn't afraid to give insights into some of the things happening behind the scenes at the clubs he played at. This type of thing may be common knowledge to some more seasoned players but as more of a casual player and fan I find it interesting to read about how some real life figures go about their business and what I can learn from it and implement into my FM strategy.

Yesterday he wrote an article on an Australian sports site giving some information on how Sir Alex ran things behind the scenes while he was at the club, specifically related to Team talks (Pre-game, half time and full time), training and tactics.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/fox-sports-football-expert-mark-bosnich-gives-an-insight-into-the-methods-of-sir-alex-ferguson/story-e6frf4a3-1226051635157

Training Days

Rarely, if at all, would SAF actually take a session. This is entirely left to his assistants. He would sometimes not come out on to the training ground at all. Other times he would watch training for a little period before venturing inside.

While he was out on the training ground he would observe intently, especially monitoring those returning from injury or players he thought needed a rest. For this his trust and reliance on the backroom staff has to be paramount. And for another reason, too.

Tactics

Tactics have never been SAF's forte. And in all fairness, as he has always said to us, even as kids: "Tactics do not win games, men do."

Which overall is right - the best tactics in the world won't help you if you don't perform well. However, against the better teams where the difference between individual players is negligible, tactics are important (like they will be against the superior passing team of Barcelona).

Here SAF has shown his versatility by choosing some very astute assistants like Brian Kidd, Carlos Queiroz and, more recently, Rene Meulensteen. He will pick their brains, learn from them, decide his own way and then deliver the pre-game talk, which he keeps as simple as possible. The assistants know better than to get ahead of themselves, else be given a private (away from the players) dressing down - or worse.

Pre-Game Talk

Again, this will be simple and concise; reminding players of their responsibilities on set plays, dangerous situations to be aware of, behavioural tendencies of the referee if SAF feels he could be a problem - but most importantly, the total belief that if we (everyone in that dressing room) play to our own ability, then nothing will stop us from winning. The team talks away from home are usually done at the hotel.

At Old Trafford they're in the dressing room, unless the team has stayed overnight at a hotel for special preparation.

Again, SAF doesn't make the talks too long, and once he finishes he leaves the players alone to prepare themselves for the match.

After the warm-up and just before you go out to play the match, he will return to the dressing room to shake everyone's hand as they leave the dressing room.

Halftime

This is when it can get tricky if you are not playing well, regardless of if you are winning or drawing - but especially if you are losing. Again, quite simple, if SAF feels you are not doing your job he will single you out and tell you. If changes are to be made they are done with no fuss.

If you are losing to an inferior opposition, veiled threats will be made, generally about the repercussions of not winning and playing better in the second half. If you are winning and playing well, there will be little reminders again about certain things to be aware of, but that's it.

SAF is adaptable and able to roll with the situation as it changes. He does not always get it right, but as far as he is concerned he is never wrong. The force of his will be imposed no matter what.

Fulltime

SAF enjoys his victories as much as anyone, unless it's a poor performance against a weaker side and there is another game coming up in two or three days. If he has detected sloppiness he thinks will continue into the next game, no matter if the team won, harsh words will be delivered.

If the result is a draw or loss, you would know there will be hell to pay and for two or three players [he would hardly ever single out more than that] it will be their day to cop it sweet.

Those who dare to stand up to him are shouted down eventually and risk being left out next game, regardless of how they have performed. So it's best to just let SAF unload. Do not put more petrol on the fire and he will eventually calm down. By the time the team gets back on the bus after an away game and he has had a few drinks with the opposition manager, the steam has generally stopped coming out of his ears.

All in all, SAF's rules are not dissimilar to those of a martial

arts dojo. Rule one - the master of this dojo is always right. Rule two - if the master of the dojo is ever wrong, rule number one applies.

Sir Alex is master of his dojo. And his dojo is Old Trafford.

Any comments?

It is an interesting one because obviously you can emulate Fergie's strategy with man management to an extent in FM however ultimately in the game it is best to be a nurturer rather than being a dictator whereas in real life many strategies work and his is obviously one of the best strategies. Can only imagine the dressing down Bosnich would have got had he revealed this when he was still at Utd though..

unfortunately in fm you have to know your playing staff as in you cannot just give them a verbal volley and expect a better performance if they arent determined or proffesional etc their performance will drop,but then i doubt fergie would buy a player if his personality trait wasnt that of a determined winner type.

i like it. And much of it relates to Fm very well. Training - we don't take training either. I drop by the training ground about once every 2 weeks to see if things are ticking over nicely. "the best tactics in the world won't help you if you don't perform well." We on this forum have a penchant for tactics but of course we realise that we need players who are good enough. also the article is touching on something many FMers miss the point of. so often I read that morale is too effective in the game. Is it? As well as picking players with the right abilities and setting out the right tactics, the players need to be right in the head. As axehan suggests, I too ensure that I only bring in players who are professional and determined. I don't care how talented and available a player is; if he doesn't fit in with my squad and my ways, he's not welcome. Team talks: ours are short and too the point too! Magafan - once we've been at a club a few years and have a high reputation, managing a squad we moulded in our image, we can throw teacups around like SAF too!

Interesting article. You would think the best managers had a bit of magic around the training ground (especialy given SAF's record for producing youngster) or in relation to tactics but ths article suggests a minimal input into player training. I'm sure I read an article about Martin O'Neill which was similar suggesting he was largly absent for training sessions. Maybe there's more impact to team talks if the manager keeps himself distanced from the players all week and focuses motivation on match days only.

Hmm I'm not sure Bosnich is giving enough credit for 'tactics' to be honest with you... Fergie's experimented enough and he does pull off some good tactics and othertimes doesn't. ho hum.

I remember Pallister saying something along the lines that he never told off Cantona cos he was too tempermental and good to be hassled! I also remember the Schmiechel-gate thing at the 3-3 draw with Liverpool...

Fun tidbit from wikipedia (reliable I know) but he fined a player for over-taking him on a public road... I want that option in Fm 2012 just because!

unfortunately in fm you have to know your playing staff as in you cannot just give them a verbal volley and expect a better performance if they arent determined or proffesional etc their performance will drop,but then i doubt fergie would buy a player if his personality trait wasnt that of a determined winner type.

This I think is essential. It's been mentioned many times, but SAF is a "team builder" and probably the best manager ever at that so far. He's built 4-5 of the best teams in the world more or less from scratch and to me the most amazing part of his reign is this fact. He doesn't necessarily just buy the best players (although the list of world class players he's brought in is long indeed), but he buys players that will make a great team, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I try to emulate this in FM if I'm at a top club, by only buying players who I know are determined, hard working types. Unfortunately judging personality traits such as the ability to stand up to pressure and how professional the player's attitude is, is needlessly complicated in FM, even as those are massively important in how far you can push your players via team talks. A team of driven players who are motivated to the hilt is a sight to behold :-)

It is an interesting one because obviously you can emulate Fergie's strategy with man management to an extent in FM however ultimately in the game it is best to be a nurturer rather than being a dictator whereas in real life many strategies work and his is obviously one of the best strategies. Can only imagine the dressing down Bosnich would have got had he revealed this when he was still at Utd though..

true, but it depends on your players. I never use/sign players with low determination. Ever. And if a player doesn't like my team talks, and then expresses that to the press, he will be on his way out(unless it's Luis Suarez).

• 2 weeks later...

Great little insight and a great, great way to run a sports club (any sport). If you're spending a fortune on players then let them players - as the man says: tactics don't win games, players do. Ditto for coaches - if you've employed them and are paying them handsomely then let them coach - I'm sure Sir Alex has done plenty of coaching in his time but if he didn't trust his the expertise of his coaches to do their job and coach then he wouldn't be employing them.

Singling out players can be dangerous and requires outstanding man management to get right but is, of course, a potent weapon given the right player. Whilst I can imagine that Cantona wouldn't respond well to a public dressing-down I would of thought that Sir Alex would privately mention a crap performance. Sir Alex has always been outstanding at publicly taking pressure away from his players and he lumbers a great deal of the pressure on his shoulders. The players don't have to worry about much else than giving a good performance but with Sir Alex demanding 100% you can be assured that that is enough pressure.

Archived