Barca's Tiqui-taca tactic?

Still can't understand why people want to emulate Barcelona in FM when there are other approaches that are equally as successful. Meh!

Everyone's motivation to play is different, i can see the appeal to it and it's certainly a good test of the ME's capabilities. But i do think we've more than enough threads on it :p

Still can't understand why people want to emulate Barcelona in FM when there are other approaches that are equally as successful. Meh!

I'm not sure it's about FM as such, people, including myself watch Barcelona every week and then like to try to re-create something like that on FM. Just like when I'm Villa (team I support) I usually try and play quite similar to how they play in real life.

Maybe because they play some of the best, most beautiful football seen for a long long time. That could be it.

Take over a team with more money than God. Buy Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro........Sod it! Just buy the whole Barca team.

Ok I'm being silly but the point, Guardiola himself, has made is, you need the players to make the tactic work. Barca's tactics aren't just written on the back of a beer map either. They are almost a religion that is drilled into the players from the age of 11. It takes 20 years to produce a team like that, a computer game just can't do it justice.

Funnily enough, the closest in FM I see to a more "realistic" Barça-esque tactic, is on my current save when my team is playing the AI controlled Barcelona. :)

They usually always dominate possession at 60-65% + against me. Have drawn twice and lost once in three matches against them with my Granada CF side. They're one of those opponents, like Real Madrid or AC Milan (when I played them in the EURO Cup), where I tend to use an "Anti-Football" approach, as trying to play them at their own game, we'd get ripped apart.

Back to the AI approach with Barcelona though, the best I can suggest is possibly watching how they play in the game, then seeing if you can emulate the roles they seem to use. They often use a 4-5-1 shape in my save, with the wide AML and AMR used as inside forwards. The Full-backs both bomb forward, especially so on the right side though. The DMC looks like he's a straight DMC "defend", with the two MC's as advanced playmaker "support", though one might be on "attack" duty. Obviously one of the key factors is the players they have, their attributes and PPM's.

To get an idea of their overall approach that the AI Guardiola is using, you'd probably need to look at all his attributes and preferences with something like FMRTE or in the game editor. There's probably other ways, but I'll leave those to others who've created spreadsheets or delved deeper into that sort of thing.

The 3 things that make it difficult to create in FM, from my experiences, are:

- Getting Busquets to drop into a DC slot when the team attacks.

- Making the CBs move wide when the team attacks

- Their constant double-teaming when pressing.

Hello mate, ive just uploaded a tactic which i think would be worth a shot? It was actually begun using barca but ive gone on to use it with other teams with equal success. With barca though i had consistently 70-75% possession. Its called '4-2-3-1 Mad Decent' - would love to hear how you get on with it!

I'd say about 356 people have tried to create one.

Reporter: How many people who major in the same musical vineyard in which you toil, how many are protest singers? That is, people who use their music, and use the songs to protest the uh, social state in which we live today, the matter of war, the matter of crime, or whatever it might be.

Bob Dylan: Um... how many?

Reporter: Yes. How many?

Dylan: Uh, I think there's about uh, 136.

[People around him giggle. The reporter doesn't laugh]

Reporter: You say ABOUT 136, or you mean exactly 136?

Dylan: Uh, it's either 136 or 142.

People seem to neglect the fact that the most amazing Barcelona performances of the past season haven't come from the stereotypical Barca play. Actually, Barca play their short and slow passing and high closing down against the lesser teams in Spain because they know exactly what's their opponent's match strategy.

Now, take the historical 5-0 for example. Surely, Xavi making a run to the box to score 1-0 (he made dangerous runs from deep on other occasions too) isn't typical Barca. Busquets trying to score from his own half surely isn't slow tempo and high time-wasting. Barca didn't press frantically, Alves wasn't bombing forward and overall their play was very different from the usual. Messi came very deep to get the ball (the same happened against United), in FM terms he was nowhere near a FC when Barca had possession. Most of Barca attacks came from Messi having the ball in midfield, going past 1 or 2, playing it forward to Villa or a short pass to Xavi or Iniesta. Playing him as MCr and Villa as FCl would be closer to the truth. Whether Xavi and Messi adapt their game themselves or Guardiola instructs them to adapt, in FM you need to change your tactic to emulate this.

In my Barcelona save I have my team playing a great possession-based game with my three main tactics or variants. I have my default tactic (attacking), my tough game tactic (direct) and my see the game out tactic (control) that vary greatly in terms of tempo & TW (3-17), passing (3-13), forward runs (e.g. Xavi and Iniesta on rarely or often), TTB, d-line (10-20), closing down, mentality (5-15 (I use a near-global mentality)).

Inspired by the El Clásico and even more so by the Champions League final against United, I recently retrained Messi as MC and played a different formation (GK / DL-DCl-DCr-DR / DM / MCl - MCc - MCr(Messi) / AMR / FCl(Villa)) with a similar mindset. Against Real Madrid I struggled at first half playing my normal formation but then switched to this new formation for the second half. Messi saw a lot of the ball, I scored a couple, forced Mourinho to change his formation (this is always a good sign in FM :), dominated possession henceforth and never looked back.

You can't be narrow-minded when trying to mimic the greatest team of all-time.

Archived