Cloughie can kiss my ass...

maollelujah

This is my Brian Clough Challenge or rather my Dave Mackay challenge.

I replaced Hartlepool with Swindon Town (Dave's first club.)

After that I will replace the steps on the Clough challenge by taking over clubs that 'the Hardman' either played for or managed. (Hearts, Spurs, Derby, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham, and Doncaster Rovers.)

This is my Brian Clough Challenge or rather my Dave Mackay challenge.

I replaced Hartlepool with Swindon Town (Dave's first club.)

After that I will replace the steps on the Clough challenge by taking over clubs that 'the Hardman' either played for or managed. (Hearts, Spurs, Derby, Nottingham Forest, Birmingham, and Doncaster Rovers.)

When Kenneth Mackay, or Kenny, got off the bus at the Swindon Bus Station, he knew that people would say that he got the job just because of his dad. That is the way it had been his entire life. When he signed as a youth player for Spurs, it was because of his dad. When actually, he wasn't a half bad player, and many an old-timer said he played just like his ole' man, but just not like him in his prime when his dad still had a little pace. See Kenny was as slow at 16 as his famous dad was at fifty. Oh, not many could beat him to the dinner table, but out on the pitch it was a different story. But then again like his dad if he caught you, you would remember the thumping you took.

Then he heard the same murmurs when he gave up his stellar lower league career and moved into management, managing to get involved with the Spurs Youth Initiative during the ill-fated George Graham years. "That's the great Dave Mackay's son, he's only there because his dad is a legend here," he whispered occasionally when he walked by. Even a had seven year old kid say that to him when Kenny had to sit the boy down for flopping seven straight times during a match. (The David Ginola effect presumably)

Below is a transcript of the exchange:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Kenny: Ian I am sorry I had to pull you out, but you can't keep on falling down everytime someone gets near you.

Kid Well David Ginola does it!

Kenny Well, you ain't no David Ginola, now are you.

Kid Well you ain't no Dave Mackay either, but it didn't stop you from ridding his coat tails...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the Spurs it was the case of earning his spurs at host of sub pyramid structure clubs, Alphington, Egham, Purton and the Quarry Nomads. Places his dad never had to go, unless it was to have drink on a roadtrip with his buddies. Kenny did a respectable job at each stop, leaving the club in better shape both on and off the pitch than when he arrived.

It took awhile, but finally the call came. It was just a coincidence that it was Swindon Town, the same place that his father started earning his managerial wings. As soon as the rumor hit the fans, they were up in arms, saying the same ole' thing he had heard all his life, 'he's only here because of his dad.' But could the fans seriously believe that, Kenny thought, it isn't like his dad set Swindon Town alight when he managed there. But then fans aren't always ruled by logic. Anyways the most likely reason he was now at the helm of Swindon Town was that he came rather cheap.

That is what listening to the White Stripes at story genesis will do for you. icon_smile.gif

From high up in the Nationwide Stand of the County Ground, well as high up as he could go, Kenny Mackay sat alone watching his charges run through their paces. He occasionally jotted down a few notes into a little black notebook, but spent most of the time silently watching the side practice, trying to figure out what he had and what he didn’t have and where his allotted £30,000 of transfer funds would be best spent. He wished he had a more to spend, but which manager didn’t wish that.

Here are a few of his notes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

3:30 P.M. meet Mike Walsh and coaches at the Cricket Club for drinks.

Keepers: Rhys Evans and Steve Book: one young and one old. Evans looks decent. Has good hands. Book also, but less so.

Matthew Heywood, Alan Reeves, Sean O’Hanlon, Adrian Viveash, Jerel Ifil and Luke Garrard.

Decent depth in defense. Reeves might have to play as a defensive midfielder. Viveash is slow as caterpillar, but seems steady. Garrard might need sometime in the reserves, Ifil too. But both look to be decent youngsters. Heywood and O’Hanlon both look rather decent. The entire group seems strong in the air, which is a bonus.

David Duke, Andrew Nicholas, Ian Woan, and Brian Howard.

Duke and Nicholas are probably better on the wing than in a holding position. Neither are especially good in the air. Probably fight with Ian and Brian for the lone wing position. Ian has a lot of skill, but is as old as a Ford model T and moves as well as one too. Howard looks to have the inside track at the job. Maybe Duke and Nicholas might work out at DMC

Remember to call Sophie.

Steve Robinson, Stefani Miglioranzi, Grant Smith, Matthew Hewlett, and Sammy Igoe.

Five to play two spots or is it three. Can one of them can move into a defensive midfield position. Robinson and Hewlett seem to be hustlers, which is good. Stefani definitely has some skills, but needs to work on his stamina. Practice has just started and he is already huffing and puffing. Sammy looks like a decent attacking midfielder. Stefani? Sammy?

Defensive midfielders!!! Need at least one.

Sam Parkin, Andrew Caton and Rory Fallon

Caton is too young. Parkin and Fallon both look to be quality strikers. (At least at this level). Probably need to look for another striker or two.

Need to look for a used car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 6,142 that showed up for the teams first and only home friendly of the preseason were mildly pleased with the result, a 1-1 draw with Derby, a side one step up the pyramid ladder. Kenny was rather pleased with the side’s performance too, not only today’s but the two previous matches against Southport and Stafford. They were still lacking in depth at striker, and needed a good defensive midfielder to link up play, but the lads gave their all.

He made his way to his office, deep under the main stand. Before the match he had heard that Aston Villa’s young striker Stefan Moore had snubbed his loan offer, saying he was staying to fight for his position. What position Kenny thought, he’s behind several good strikers and would be lucky to play at all this season. But that didn’t miff him too much, what really got under his skin was Lilian Nalis’ rejection of moving to Swindon right out.

Well who would want a player named Lilian anyway, Kenny laughed, before hearing a knock on his door.

“Come in.â€

The door opened and his chief scout Nick Lewis entered the dingy, dusty manager’s lair. After asking and pouring Nick a sherry, Kenny started a long conversation with Nick about what type of players he was looking for and the two talked for several hours about various targets. ‘They need to better than we have and cheap,’ was something that Kenny said more than once.

At least one thing positive came out of the discussion, the news that Watford had put Keith Andrews on the transfer list. Andrews was priced out of Kenny’s grasp, but maybe the club would consider sending him on a year-long loan to Swindon Town.

Another player that Kenny was interested in was Inverness Caley striker Steven Hislop. Hislop might never be a star at Swindon, but he would a quality reserve and man off the bench. Plus Scottish players, like Kenny, came rather cheap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nottmred:

I don't really appreciate the name of the thread.Very dis-respectful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<sits back with a bowl of popcorn to enjoy the show....>

Nice start btw Mao, great to see you back in action icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bartley_m:

Good start, hope to see this continue icon_smile.gif

btw, title is fine, dnt see a prob with. Damn pc lunatics with their funny books and mindgames... icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a problem with it when it tells the late Brian Clough O.B.E to kiss his arse.He's the best ****ing manager ever for ****s sake.Show some bloody respect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nottmred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bartley_m:

Good start, hope to see this continue icon_smile.gif

btw, title is fine, dnt see a prob with. Damn pc lunatics with their funny books and mindgames... icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a problem with it when it tells the late Brian Clough O.B.E to kiss his arse.He's the best ****ing manager ever for ****s sake.Show some bloody respect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go away little boy.

I don't really appreciate the name of the thread.Very dis-respectful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame. Forum mods passed it as acceptable. And those who know FMS wouldn't make mistake it for disrespect.

Thanks for all the nice replies guys. icon_smile.gif

IV

A small punt on Swindon to win promotion was the last thing Kenny did before the season started, hey at 6 to 1 Kenny thought you would have to be crazy not to. When he returned to his office deep in the bowels of the main stand, he boiled a pot of water. ‘Damn all he had were bags’; he fumed, as he searched his cabinet for some loose leaf. When Kenny finished making his tea, he added a few drops of rum to it, to spice it up a little and sat down to reflect.

He had signed Andrea Valente, a diminutive Italian striker, and was still working on the details of Keith Andrews loan from Watford, which looked like it wouldn’t go through until after the home opener against Blackpool and maybe not even until after the midweek match against Oldham. Kenny had also hoped to lure another defender to the club, but had so far had two premiership youths turn down year long loans to Swindon.

-----------------------------------------------------

The home opener against Blackpool saw 9,251 swarm the County Ground to watch Sam Parkin’s second-half double fire Swindon past their northern rivals. Blackpool had the best of the early exchanges, but slowly Swindon started to take advantage of their midfield strength. In the second half Blackpool gave two half chances to striker Sam Parkin and the 23 year-old striker made them pay on both occasions. Sub Steven Hislop could have extended the lead to 3-0, but his shot bounced off the post and harmlessly out of play.

In the midweek match against Oldham, Sammy Igoe and Andrea Valente both earn their first starts for the club, as Kenny is forced to rest Stefani Miglioranzi and Sam Parkin. Again Oldham look dangerous early on, and in the 7th minute Jermaine Johnson (jumping 5 heading 7) beats Sean O’Hanlon (jumping 15) in the air to give the home side the lead. But under Kenny’s abusive instructions, Swindon start to turn the tide of the match and just before halftime O’Fallon has a great chance to pull them even, but his shot which beat the keeper whistles just wide of the post. Just after the restart, Alan Reeves does find Kenny the equalizer scoring with a header from a Robinson corner. Late in the match Swindon have two more splendid chances to snatch up a full three points, but on both occasions Fallon’s finishing isn’t up to par.

----------------------------------

Four points from the first two matches of the season has Kenny rather happy. He runs his fingers through his hair as he comments to reporters about how well he thinks his side has played in the first two matches, “with a little defending on set plays or finishing we could certainly be at the top of the league…â€

He shakes his head slightly when reporters ask him about his plans to bring in a veteran defender, refusing to neither affirm nor deny the question.

Keith Andrews’ loan final goes through on Friday, and on Saturday he is being run out for his debut against . Parkin and Miglioranzi both return to the lineup. The first half was a pretty equal affair, with Rhys Evans and Neil Cutler both snuffing out several scoring opportunities by their opponents. The second half was totally different with Swindon dominating possession for long sways of the period. Time was winding down when Robins finally decided to end the doubt. Hislop’s long ball to a motoring Parkin was well controlled and Parkin wormed his way past two defenders to tuck the ball past Cutler and into the corner of the net. Steven Hislop almost scored the team’s second of the match, but Cutler was able to tip the ball over the post at the last second.

Bristol City’s Paul Hefferman, Tony Doherty, and Steven Booker were all victims of Rhys Evans’ great performance in goal, as Swindon Town netted their first road victory of the season. Doherty saw two point blank shots in a row be dugout by the young Welsh keeper, and Sam Parkin kept his fantastic eye in front of goal, scoring another brace to lead the Robins to victory.

---------------------

The victory against Bristol City had brought some fresh worries for Kenny who had saw three Southampton scouts huddling together after the match. He didn’t have to wonder long as to whom their target was, as the morning papers had Evans being linking with a move to Saints with a handful of other premiership clubs waiting to beat Southampton to him. Kenny knew that the young keeper was tied to the club for two more years and if he left it would be only for a windfall of cash, certainly more than enough to recruit a replacement.

While things were taking off in his professional life, it wasn’t as nice when it came to his personal one. He knew things weren’t going well with his longtime girlfriend, Sophie, but he was still stunned when she phoned him and said she was breaking things off. He knew that she was upset at his taking the Swindon job, but there was nothing that would prepare him for what she said:

“Kenny, I still love you, but I just don’t feel as passionate as I once did, so I think we should take some time off.†(Translation: she had another bloke at hand and the grass, or in this case ass, was always greener on the other side.)

He had spent several days following that trying to beg her to comeback, but her each rejection came back firmer and crueler. Finally one night Sophie and her new beau showed up at his new apartment to pick up her things he had kindly moved to Swindon for her in a rental truck. Sophie’s new man, Roy, was a complete wan-ker. He was better looking than Kenny, more fit, had a nice car (some fancy sports car), a better career (a banker), smarter with a good education, an Arsenal fan (didn’t I say he was a wan-ker), and probably was a better footballer as a youth too. But he was nice, and even tried to have a normal conversation with Kenny about football, which of course was about what a great player Thierry Henry was. (Wan-ker!)

As she left with what amounted to most of the furniture, Kenny vowed to get her back, then sat down on the sofa and had a nice healthy cry.

So because hes dead it becomes off limits. Dnt tell me to show some respect icon_rolleyes.gif

His managerial ability has no relavence. swearing adds nothing to ur arguement. Sort out ur argument m8. Its not malicious (the title). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's nothing to do with the fact he's dead.....it's just disrespectful full stop.

Swearing doesn't add anything to my argument,no but I feel strongly about it so thats why I was swearing.Maybe it's because i'm a Forest fan,I don't know but I feel it is dis-respectful.If it was Alex Ferguson it would be funny,but not Cloughie.No way.

So because hes dead it becomes off limits. Dnt tell me to show some respect icon_rolleyes.gif

His managerial ability has no relavence. swearing adds nothing to ur arguement. Sort out ur argument m8. Its not malicious (the title). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's nothing to do with the fact he's dead.....it's just disrespectful full stop.

Swearing doesn't add anything to my argument,no but I feel strongly about it so thats why I was swearing.Maybe it's because i'm a Forest fan,I don't know but I feel it is dis-respectful.If it was Alex Ferguson it would be funny,but not Cloughie.No way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hypocrite. It's all or nothing. You have just totally ruined your argument by stating that it would be okay to say the same thing about Alex Ferguson. That just proves that your argument is purely emotional and not logical.

Good start Mao. icon14.gificon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spav:

Swearing doesn't add anything to my argument,no but I feel strongly about it so thats why I was swearing.Maybe it's because i'm a Forest fan,I don't know but I feel it is dis-respectful.If it was Alex Ferguson it would be funny,but not Cloughie.No way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hypocrite. It's all or nothing. You have just totally ruined your argument by stating that it would be okay to say the same thing about Alex Ferguson. That just proves that your argument is purely emotional and not logical.

Good start Mao. icon14.gificon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah,it would be OK to do Alex Ferguson(only when he's alive though) because I don't like the man.I feel everybody liked Brian Clough O.B.E and still do so.

And that guys, but especially nottmred (seeing as you love double standards), is all off-topicness this story needs. If you wish to continue this (non-starter of an) argument, take it to the designated smoking, sorry, off topic areas on these forums.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I feel everybody liked Brian Clough O.B.E and still do so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt he was an arse. fact. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Explain why?

Explain why? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps a warning will clarify my position: YOU're the one being disrespectful by keeping this offtopicness going in a story. Use the link provided by PM7 please. That also goes for any comeback you consider appropriate to your new status.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Perhaps a warning will clarify my position: YOU're the one being disrespectful by keeping this offtopicness going in a story. Use the link provided by PM7 please. That also goes for any comeback you consider appropriate to your new status. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Perhaps a warning will clarify my position: YOU're the one being disrespectful by keeping this offtopicness going in a story. Use the link provided by PM7 please. That also goes for any comeback you consider appropriate to your new status. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry for posting in your topic, Mao. NottmRed, it has already been suggested that you move to the off-topic forum. You're ruining a story and tbh, well done to Mao for not getting dragged into this icon14.gif

Kenny MacKay was pleased with the 2-1 victory against Brentford in the league cup. It wasn't an impressive win, but his side showed fight and snatched a late winner, which was a good thing in his mind.

Then next day Birmingham is confirmed as Swindon Town's second round opponent. A premiership club at the County Ground, the directors and Shareholders thought this was better than a victory, the only thing better would be one of the big five away. Kenny on the other hand, would have liked to be facing a smaller club and a better chance to win.

'Winning breeds Winning' Kenny told reporters later in the week as he watched his side face Chesterfield in the league. Swindon Town found themselves down after only a few minutes as Alan Reeves' inadvertant touch went the ball into his own net past Rhys Evans. But three minutes after the break Sam Parkin equalized with a blast from just inside the box. Sam Muggleton, Chesterfield's goalie, did his best to deny Swindon Town the winner, but after knocking away two point blank shots, Hislop got his head on Howard's cross and beat the Chesterfield keeper to put Swindon Town up. A few minutes later Sam Parkin add his second of the match, Swindon's third to give the Robins a comfortable win.

The victory put Swindon Town in second place, even on points with Tranmere, and netted Kenny Mackay the manager of the month. Sam Parkin who had scored eight goals in six league matches, some how was looked over for the player of the month.

More good news for Kenny and Swindon follow as West Ham's veteran defender Andy Melville agrees to a two-year deal with the Wiltshire club. "I am really pleased that Andy has agreed to join us, he will give us a veteran leader in the backline, and will help all of us become better," Kenny spouted the usual speel over his new signee.

As for whether any more signings would be coming to the County Ground, Kenny replied, "No, I believe that Andy will be the last signing. I am happy with the players I have at my disposal... Yet if we have an injury to a key player or one of them are poached, we will probably reevaluate the situation at that time..."

At the same time, Kenny is wondering about whether he should keep Andy Viveash or not, as a handful of faxed offers lie on his desk. In the end, Kenny tosses them in the rubbish basket, ignoring them rather than make the descision at the time.

At Huddersfield, Kenny watches his side run out to a 2-0 lead thats to a double by Sam Parkin, only to see Hudderfield fight back and equalize late thanks to goals by Rob Edwards and Chris Brandon. The equalizer was an amazing play, where Brandon volleyed a forty yard pass from the edge of the box past Evans. Fallon wasted a half-dozen golden opportunities to score during the match, leaving Kenny and the travelling fans wondering about his place in the team.

As if by plan, Kenny and the Swindon faithful would get a chance to see them play without Fallon as the striker twists a knee in practice and will be out for awhile. Also Midfielder Steve Robinson picks up a knock ruling him out for the next couple matches.

A minute after Mark Fryatt slammed a shot against Rhys Evans' left post, Neil Emblen arrives in the box unmarked and snaps a header past the Welsh keeper to put Walsall in the lead. Sam Parkin spends the next thirty minutes of the match running Walsall ragged, but his final touch elludes him on three wonderful chances missing wide or high on all of them. But finally in the 49th minute the big striker finds the net, lofting a ball over Walsall's keeper Mark Paston, and Steven Hislop nets the winner a few minutes later lashing a long shot past Paston. The 2-1 victory over Walsall sends Swindon Town into the League Cup match with Birmingham with some confidence.

Kenny runs out as strong as side possible against Birmingham City, but the early exchanges are all the vistors as Michael Forsell misses a sitter, followed by a rocket blast by Lazaridis which beats Evans in goal and puts City up 0-1. The home fans have a few seconds of hope when Igoe is put through one on one with Birmingham keeper Maik Taylor, but Igoe finsh is sloppy and is easily controlled by Taylor. In the 38th minute, Liverpool reject and super donkey, Emile Heskey beats O'Hanlon in the air and knocks the ball past an outstretched Evans to take the lead up to two goals to nothing. In the second half Valente gives Swindon a slim hope beating Clapham to the byline and smashing a shot into the net from an awful angle, but Birmingham drop all eleven players behind the ball for the last 25 minutes, effectively killing off any Swindon chance of equalizing.

"Well, I thought we played well, we settled down after that initial 20 mintues of onslaught and played them tic for tat the remainder of the match... We had a chance late, but we couldn't break them down after they gave up attacking and just played to hold onto their lead... Heskey scored his goal for this year, so Steve [bruce] can sit him down now as he won't score again until next season..."

Archived