Finances - when to start worrying?

I am currently playing as a reasonably good Serie A team. When I took over in the summer the team had a balance of around 10 million. It is now february, and the balance has dropped to -15 million. Fortunately I have Champions League this season, which in combination with the TV rights should give me a huge pile of money at the end of the season. However, I have never been so far in debt, and I'm considering selling a key player to bring the balance out of the red. Should I? Or is -15 or -20 million not that bad?

And btw, the reason this has never happened to me in previous versions of FM is that the financial system was a bit broken, at least in Italy. Clubs started out with realistic amounts of money, but as the game progressed everyone became incredibly wealthy. By season 5 or so it was quite common to see clubs like Genoa and Udinese splash out 20 million on players. In FM2011 this seems to have been improved.

I don't think the game ever punishes you for being in debt, the worse that it can happen is to keep having the wage budget and transfer budget reduced.

The TV prize money from the CL alone should net you 10-15M alone on the end of the season so you should be ok.

If you think the money will be in the black at the end of the season then i would not worry too much unless you are way too much in the red per season for several seasons, then obviously money is leaking and you need to do something about it.

I am currently playing as a reasonably good Serie A team. When I took over in the summer the team had a balance of around 10 million. It is now february, and the balance has dropped to -15 million. Fortunately I have Champions League this season, which in combination with the TV rights should give me a huge pile of money at the end of the season. However, I have never been so far in debt, and I'm considering selling a key player to bring the balance out of the red. Should I? Or is -15 or -20 million not that bad?

IMO -£15m is bad at any stage of a season and you are right to be concerned.

First off I would look at why your balance has dropped £25m in just over half a season, things like:

A) Transfers - Have you bought players or are there outstanding installments being paid.

B) Loans - Has the club got a loan(s) and are playing large installments.

If the club has neither of the above I suspect you'll need to drastically cut your wages.

Either way you don't need to rush into a decision just yet, you can't sell anyone before the next transfer window so wait until the end of the season and see what prize money you get. You'll then be able to judge your finances over a full season and see if you made a profit or a loss.

Just to add we could probably give you more advice if we could see some screenshots of your finances, overall/income/expenses.

Don't worry about losing money through the year, at season end it will get bumped up through prize money, sponsorships, etc.

As long as finances are higher at this point of the season than they were last season then you're fine.

As long as you finish in the champions league places you should easily gain a profit.

I am currently playing with Reading FC and we came 2nd in the premiership last season (and we had -40 million) and we ended with a massive + because of our performance.

As long as you finish in the champions league places you should easily gain a profit.

I am currently playing with Reading FC and we came 2nd in the premiership last season (and we had -40 million) and we ended with a massive + because of our performance.

from -40M to + within a year and without selling any players? no way

can you please divide it and tell us details? it still seems too much!

It's been a while ago i was in PL and at work waiting to go home so i don't have the exact numbers and im also talking in € here but CL tv money should alone be around 20M, I bet the PL 2nd place gives atleast 10M, if he's going far in CL it should give a couple of millions just from participating in every round

Bundesliga has huge prize money as well. 1st place gets like $40M and 2nd, $30M, etc. etc. GOOD money!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? no no no. no way. I am not saying it because i disagree with you. It is just that If it is true I will throw my PC away! screenshot now!!!!!!!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? no no no. no way. I am not saying it because i disagree with you. It is just that If it is true I will throw my PC away! screenshot now!!!!!!!

Here you go.

As for putting the club in big debt, it is fine as long as you know you will clear it. I've put clubs £40m in debt then cleared it within a year without selling players a number of times. TV money from the league and Champions league along with a big stadium and sensible wages should make it easy enough.

Here you go.

As for putting the club in big debt, it is fine as long as you know you will clear it. I've put clubs £40m in debt then cleared it within a year without selling players a number of times. TV money from the league and Champions league along with a big stadium and sensible wages should make it easy enough.

now i have 3 questions. firstly, was like that since the beginning? secondly, why can't I see this in my save? thirdly, have you actually played that long?

one more one more! is there a pack where i can get all the correct competition names?

If it gets too low your chairman may invest some money so you will get a big loan but you will have to pay it back every month.

Depends on your chairman really, I've had some (not tycoons) that have cleared the debt from their own pockets without taking out a loan.

Archived