LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Wenger chose to put Rosicky on the wing removing our only natural ball carrier and putting us on the back foot from the start.

The spuds gave us the blueprint against Milan. High tempo fast aggressive football and Wenger chose to do the opposite, total stupidity.

3-0

That's not how we played against them at all actually. We played a completely rigid, compact, disciplined defensive game and got lucky with a counter attack.

was going to say didn't realise AC Milan were still this good, or is it more a case of how **** we are? anyway it's not looking good unless we score at least 2 which isn't looking too likely right now

It's a bit of both. They're good and we're not.

That's not how we played against them at all actually. We played a completely rigid, compact, disciplined defensive game and got lucky with a counter attack.

That might be true of the home leg but I watched the away tie you won the ball back aggressively in your own half and caught them time and again on the counter. More shots on target (7) than Milan and half the possession. It was certainly no stand off backs the the wall job. The reason we have struggled so much is that we have no attacking outlet because we have no ball carriers. We always struggle to when Rosicky plays on the wing for this reason.

Another shocking performance from Ramsey, and another 90 minutes for him? why not take him of, play rosicky in his natural position and let a winger play on the wing?

Spot on. Rosicky gave our sides best performance of any player in 'the hole' against Blackburn. Not so good against Sunderland but Ramsey has been poor all season.

:( 4-0 Djourou celebrating his new contract in style.

Everything about Arsenal is stale, from the board down through the manager and the players. Big, BIG changes are needed in the summer or else we will be in exodus like Villa for many years to come.

Shameful. Utterly shameful.

Not for the first time we are a complete laughing stock. My emotions are high at the moment but I mean it when I say this team is finished and there is not enough money to fix it because over the next couple of years we are gonna get no more in the emirates than we got at highbury and we're over paying **** players.

. Big, BIG changes are needed in the summer or else we will be in exodus like Villa for many years to come.

Djourou's new contact makes it abundantly clear our target is mediocrity. We have no intention of rebuilding a squad capable of competing for trophies.

Bit of a dry bumming tonight, fellas. Thought Arsenal would lose n a tight game, but not steam-rollered like this. Wenger got to be on borrowed time, if he wasn't before.

There is a huge flaw in the running of the club. The problem is no one is convinced it is Wenger. The flaw is in the transfer strategy which is being held back somewhere.

There is a huge flaw in the running of the club. The problem is no one is convinced it is Wenger. The flaw is in the transfer strategy which is being held back somewhere.

Perhaps he is having to try and live within his means, if being pressured from above to balance the books. As an outsider, tonight isn't just a one off though as it's clearly not being working for a long time. He will move on in the summer particularly if season ticket revenue drops.

I think we have bigger issues than our 4th choice cb

And how will will deal with those issues when our money is being wasted on utterly moronic squad players?

We plead poverty yet Wenger has so much money he can afford to throw away on utter dross.

My primary concern is the example it sets. Continual reward for failure has led to a pathetic weak minded losers mindset throughout the club.

Perhaps he is having to try and live within his means, if being pressured from above to balance the books. As an outsider, tonight isn't just a one off though as it's clearly not being working for a long time. He will move on in the summer particularly if season ticket revenue drops.

What I don't understand is how us fans STILL haven't been told 6 years on whether we have money to spend on star players (including wages) or if AW has to create a squad with no money. That is disgraceful, it's our club ffs.

Again, how much longer does this have to continue on for before the masses start seeing what I've been saying for 2 years????

Pants! Guess who has got tickets for the return leg too ....

Losing Fabregas and Nasri really told tonight, they had the quality to get on the ball in games like this and keep it from the opposition. Criminal that we didn't replace one of them with a similar player, whether that's Wenger's or the board's fault is another can of worms.

Vermaelen had a torrid time tonight he looked better at left back after the reshuffle. Safe to say we are out mind you. Adios champions league and adios Thierry. Its been nice knowing the both of you never for youto return again.

Last year all over again!

Pants! Guess who has got tickets for the return leg too ....

Losing Fabregas and Nasri really told tonight' date=' they had the quality to get on the ball in games like this and keep it from the opposition. Criminal that we didn't replace one of them with a similar player, whether that's Wenger's or the board's fault is another can of worms.[/quote']

I won't be turning up. Expect a half empty stadium.

Firstly, the individuals.

We had PerMer and Kos in the centre of the defence for a long time and TBH I don't think TV was getting his spot back even if Santos was fit and Gibbs had and extended (2 weeks+ is extraordinary I think) remission. If we were conceding goals it was rarely due to them. We were so much better at dealing with long/through balls and set pieces - it generated more confidence and calmness dor the entire team. We didn't need to push the line forward too often. And this is what I meant with the change of tactics in my earlier post - with two "small" defenders Wenger decided we need to push the line up. We were totally exposed to long balls from the 1st minute. For some strange reason he probably told the players not to push the attacking wings of Milan too much, allowing them to make crosses or diagonal passes as they wished. We looked like waitng for any ball to come into the box as we were to deal with it anyway.

Midfield/Attack. Song/Arteta-Walcott/van Persie was obvious. Ramsey had been rested before Sunderland and gave a good sub. Wenger sees him as 1st chocie for this position, so he came on. Left wing: Ox was not infulential vs well organised Sunderland which meant he'd be invisible vs Milan so that left the spot open. he decided to play Rosicky there - he always plays him in big games. And for a reason. Rosicky, van Persie and Kos were the only players who didn't look broken, beaten and scared from the start. it was a mistake though. Play Rosicky in his position, let AA (flair, creativity) or even Ox (pace, penetration) do their job on the wing.

Arteta let me down in the first half, IMO he is the best Wenger signing in years, still he played like a 20yo in the first 45 mins. Song is poor recently, TV is similar, was involved in first 3 goals. Ramsey - I don't know what to think anymore, I was really thinking this was all due to fatigue before but now I am not so sure. There's far too much of it. Maybe next season.

Coquelin needs to get some games ahead of an out of form Song.

Szcz, Sagna, JD20, TV5, Gibbs, Coquelin, Arteta, Rosicky, Gervinho, Ox, RVP for Saturday please.

I think you are under the mistaken belief that Wenger’s team selection bares any coloration to actual performances on the pitch.

Didn't get to see the first 15 minutes, it felt like I didn't get to really take the game in all together really. I'm not sure where we went wrong?? Shocking result though, Milan away or not.

Hate to jump on the same old bandwagons but Ox not starting and Ramsay starting is hard to understand. Ramsay was poor again, not the only one though..

As for tactics, Wenger was outplayed again.

Either 90% of the team got scared and ignored his orders or he ordered and cautious approach but a high line and narrow defending at the same time. I agree that even 0-2 wasn't a tragic result and there was no need to panic at that score (one goal and we have a good result), but we were clearly not playing to our strengths especially in the first half, I think I would agree with dj that we did exactly what Milan hoped for. They always looked dangerous when coming forward, we always looked like doing something prohibited when attacking. Only Rosicky and RvP were trying to do something in the 1st half.

The the Henry sub, I don't get it. It wasn't like we were creating millions of chances and just couldn't convert them. We were struggling in the middle of the park, why not put our best midfielder (7TR) there along with a shaken and so much better (in the second half) Arteta in the middle, taking pointless Ramsey off and letting AA or OX on? Just illogical.

Then having van Persie deep didn't work either.

Archived