Should I use Reserve/Youth Leagues or just have them play Friendlies?

Wondering now in my 7th or 8th Season if I should change my approach to developing my Reserve & Youth Players. Normally every season I just accept the message and have them entered in their respective leagues. However I don't feel this is maximising their playing time nor matching them with opposition to challenge them and encourage their development. I'm therefore wondering if I'd be better not to enter my Reserves and Youth Teams into the leagues and instead just arrange a season of interclub friendlies between the two teams and have them play 2-3 times a week over the course of the season. Would this help my players to develop better and faster?

Wondering now in my 7th or 8th Season if I should change my approach to developing my Reserve & Youth Players. Normally every season I just accept the message and have them entered in their respective leagues. However I don't feel this is maximising their playing time nor matching them with opposition to challenge them and encourage their development. I'm therefore wondering if I'd be better not to enter my Reserves and Youth Teams into the leagues and instead just arrange a season of interclub friendlies between the two teams and have them play 2-3 times a week over the course of the season. Would this help my players to develop better and faster?
#

I imagine this would be extremely detremental to their progress, playing the same team using the same tactics every week, can't see it being anything other than a waste of time

What I usually do is have my reserve/youth teams play in their respective leagues and arrange a couple friendlies against tougher opposition for them at least once a month.

Unless your players are inexperienced, playing reserve football isn't going to make them progress very much. If you're worried about developing players, send them out on loan or give them first team experience by bringing them on as subs. Generally anyone worthwhile should be promoted from your U-18s ASAP anyway.

The main reason for having your reserves playing matches is to keep players match fit. The main advantage to the leagues is that you don't manually need to arrange any games. So unless you particularly enjoy arranging loads of friendly matches, there's really no point. Friendlies are not going to develop your players either.

In terms of game mechanics, I think the way it works (worked?) is that the level of a league determines to what extent it is beneficial for a player in terms of development. A young, inexperienced player with low CA will benefit from playing football - any football. A young prospect who's good enough to slot straight into a Championship team will find it difficult to progress significantly when playing in the BSP. The standard of the reserve and U-18 leagues is pretty low, so go figure :) You'll notice you sometimes get feedback from players coming back from loan stating that they thought they learnt very little from playing at that level - an indication that they need to go out on loan at a higher level to benefit.

The upshot of all this is that loaning players out is generally better than having them stagnate at your club.

I imagine that friendlies are of a lower level of competition than reserve leagues or even youth leagues as the players are just playing for the day instead of chasing after an (unimportant) trophy, so I would keep entering them in youth/reserve leagues.

Since there are no reserve leagues in Italy I tend to organise the two teams like this: Empty reserves, except in preseason when players I'm selling get dropped there. My youth squad contains young players alongside veterans who have no chance of making the team and during the season are joined by players recovering from long injuries.

During preseason I organise friendlies between these two squads, which serves to raise the morale and fitness of the youth team, while not affecting the reserve team which is filled with grey players. Then during the season I regularly check the youth team to see who is performing without developing (these have reached their limit at that level and need to play at a higher level like a loan or first team appearances) and who is developing at that level and can be kept in the youth team.

In England I think I would operate similarly, but I would keep a larger youth team, since there are more matches to play for and the best youths will play slightly more challenging reserve team football, while less developed players can hone their skills in the youth team. Then, if you notice your young players not developing anymore under those circumstances you send them on loan or give them a chance in the first team. I would also use the "make available for reserve team" for unfit first teamers.

You'll notice you sometimes get feedback from players coming back from loan stating that they thought they learnt very little from playing at that level - an indication that they need to go out on loan at a higher level to benefit.

Not necessarily, I thought this was down to Personality, Not Enough First Team Games and/or Achieving Low Ratings In First Team Appearances, resulting in little CA gain, and when did youngsters ever know what was best for them?:D

I would obviously prefer to loan players out and get them experience that way but I find it very difficult to get clubs to make offers to loan my players , and even if I get offers the players very seldom want to move. I even try sending them to my feeder clubs, of which I have some decent standard teams such as Ajax in Holland and Sampdoria in Italy, but again players won't go. Very frustrating.

Its even more annoying now as I have the unfortunate issue of having the players getting older so they now have to be registered to play in the domestic league and of course I'm only afforded 25 spaces and at this time there are still 1st Team Players who I can't leave out in favour of the youngsters.

Not necessarily, I thought this was down to Personality, Not Enough First Team Games and/or Achieving Low Ratings In First Team Appearances, resulting in little CA gain, and when did youngsters ever know what was best for them?:D

That too, but if he went there and played every game, you know he's too good for the level.

I know all my players have great potential. I don't keep anyone on the books with a lower PA then 160. Obviously I just need to get them some game time some how so they can hit their limit. Sadly my 1st team players aren't retiring quickly enough and the younger players get old too fast and then can't play without being registered. You'd think when they get the offer to move to a feeder club or a loan offer comes in they'd take it, especially after moaning at me constantly they want 1st team football and may have to leave to get it.

I know all my players have great potential. I don't keep anyone on the books with a lower PA then 160. Obviously I just need to get them some game time some how so they can hit their limit. Sadly my 1st team players aren't retiring quickly enough and the younger players get old too fast and then can't play without being registered. You'd think when they get the offer to move to a feeder club or a loan offer comes in they'd take it, especially after moaning at me constantly they want 1st team football and may have to leave to get it.

Therein lies your problem. What you need to do is have a balanced development strategy. Make sure your youth team and reserves also play the same formation as your first team and that each squad has the right spread of players to cover each position. Don't have too many players as that will mean some high potential players don't get enough playing time, but don't have too few as they will develop too fast and you will get stuck in the situation you are describing. If you know the first team players will still be holding their places down when the youngster is 20-22, then develop him gradually. Have him ready for loan when he's 19-21 years old, then spend 2-4 seasons loaning him out. By the time he's 23, he should be reaching his potential and be ready to slot into your first team.

Archived