[FM11] Never Say Never...kusen

jt_northender

I'm keen to see how many Kiessling scores in his career JT. He bagged over 100 in a 3 year save I had, and he seems as prolific for you. With his physical stats he should have quite a few seasons in front of him.

Are you using your II team to full effect? It's a great benefit to your youth development mate - works wonders if you have the division on full detail.

February 2013

Saturday 2nd February 2013 - First Division 20/34

Energie Cottbus vs Bayer Leverkusen

Struggling Cottbus should provide a routine victory and we completely dominate the game but with the game entering the last quarter goalless I switch to 4-2-4 and bring on Derdiyok, which has an immediate impact as Rolfes finally breaks the deadlock heading in a corner and Barnetta adds a late 2nd arriving from deep to volley into the corner from Sam's cross.

Scoreline: 0-2

Goals: Rolfes (72), Barnetta (89)

League Position: 3rd

Saturday 9th February 2013 - First Division 21/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich

If we to have any chance of catching Bayern this season this is a must win game. We start poorly and are lucky to still be 0-0 at the break but, on the advice of my assistant, I tell Kiessling to go out there and prove a point and it works as he scores 2 2nd half goals to set up an unlikely victory. Robben's late strike sets up a tense finale but we hold out.

Scoreline: 2-1

Goals: Kiessling (49, 68) ; Robben (80)

League Position: 2nd

Saturday 16th February 2013 - First Division 22/34

Karlsruhe vs Bayer Leverkusen

We are again away to Bundesliga strugglers but this time we are the team struggling as Karlsruhe have the better of a turgid affair and take the lead in the 51st minute. Again, I throw on Derdiyok and go 4-2-4 and the team is transformed, scoring 3 goals in the final half hour and we can even afford to miss a penalty.

Scoreline: 1-3

Goals: Rupp (51) ; Sam (61), Kiessling (66), Derdiyok (89)

Saturday 23rd February 2013 - First Division 23/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Mainz

I make 6 changes with the game in Milan on the horizon and a single goal is enough for victory, again scored by Stefan Kiessling. Mainz have more chances than I would have liked but it is a deserved victory and 3 points is all that matters.

Scoreline: 1-0

Goals: Kiessling (16)

Tuesday 26th February 2013 - Champions Cup 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg

AC Milan (Italy) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

I set up defensively to try and keep things tight but am left tearing my hair out as Robinho heads in a free kick courtesy of some schoolboy defending. When Robinho adds a 2nd early in the 2nd half, Milan seem intent on finishing the job in Italy but my players show immense character as first Barnetta chases down a lost cause and fires in at the near post before Derdiyok heads in a late equaliser to give me a real chance in Germany.

Scoreline: 2-2

Goals: Robinho (36, 55) ; Barnetta (60), Derdiyok (86)

Manager Comments

4 wins and a draw in all competitions mean it has been an impressive month. We have 2 huge away goals in the Champions Cup and matched Milan for large parts of the game. Barnetta has again been superb, as has Kiessling.

League Table

The Mister - Both Kiessling (55 all comps to this point) and Derdiyok (39) have been quality for me and I am lucky to have had them from the start. These career stats include sub appearances and no cup games which is frustrating hence the average goalscoring record but in reality they have been much better than that.

The II team is annoying because I only chose 2 Bundesliga and above - a naive oversight at the start of the game that has really annoyed me as time has gone on. Therefore I have to make use of the cups for youngsters' experience.

March 2013

Saturday 2nd March 2013 - First Division 24/34

Kaiserslautern vs Bayer Leverkusen

After the high of the Champions Cup result midweek, we struggle against lowly Kaiserslautern and I think we have officially given up on a third league title in a row.

Scoreline: 0-0

Goals:

Tuesday 5th March 2013 - German Cup Semi Final

Schalke 04 vs Bayer Leverkusen

When Huntelaar gives Schalke an early lead, I am worried our good run of results against Schalke may be over. The hosts are the better team despite me fielding a strong side and we are lucky to go in level, when Derdiyoks shot is parried straight into the path of Barnetta. Hegeler gives us the lead within minutes of the start of the 2nd half and when we get a penalty on 50 minutes we are suddenly 2 goals clear. Holtby quickly halves the deficit with a 20 yard strike and Schalke pour forward in the final quarter but web somehow hang on to book our place in the final.

Scoreline: 2-3

Goals: Huntelaar (5), Holtby (52) ; Barnetta (40), Hegeler (46), Neuer og (50)

Next Round: Borussia Dortmund (N)

Saturday 9th March 2013 - First Division 25/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hoffenheim

Normal service is resumed as we dominate our favourite side to play, Hoffenheim. Afellay sets us on our way with a 25 yard strike but its 1 each at the break as Vida puts through his own goal. Derdiyok and Barnetta give us a 2 goal cushion but a late Weis goal gives us a nervy finish despite a dominant performance.

Scoreline: 3-2

Goals: Afellay (23), Derdiyok (70), Barnetta (75) ; Vida og (42), Weis (85)

Saturday 16th March 2013 - First Division 26/34

Wolfsburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

It is fast emerging into a 3 way battle for the last 2 Champions Cup spots with todays hosts and Borussia Dortmund. Unfortunately, the players have their eye on the Champions Cup tie midweek and fade badly in the 2nd half. Schurrle does give us initial hope but a poor 2nd half display condemns us to defeat and we drop below our victors in the league table.

Goals: Schurrle (34) ; Polak (46), Mandzukic (84)

Wednesday 20th March 2013 - Champions Cup 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs AC Milan (Italy)

We made Milan look very ordinary at the San Siro when we attacked them at 2-0 so I change formation to an attacking 4-4-2 with Schurrle in an advanced AML position. It seems that we catch Milan unprepared and we produce a clinical and professional performance to upset the odds. Bender runs onto a long ball from Barnetta and has the low finish to give us the lead and the victory is sealed when a sweeping counter attack finds its way to the right hand side and Barnetta whose low finish across the keeper sends the fans wild.

Scoreline: 2-0

Goals: Bender (10), Barnetta (61)

Quarter Final Draw: Liverpool (a,h)

In a repeat of the group phase, we are drawn against Liverpool with the winners surely facing Real Madrid who have a mismatch of a tie against Blackburn Rovers.

Saturday 23rd March 2013 - First Division 27/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Dortmund

I am hoping the players will ride the wave of the midweek result as we are also at a crucial stage in the league season. Thankfully, we produce one of our best performances of the season to see off Dortmund and put daylight between us in the race for the Champions Cup places. The game is open with both teams playing the attractive 4-2-3-1 formation and all the goals come in the 2nd half as Schurrle runs the full back ragged and scores twice, sandwiched by a Rolfes penalty.

Scoreline: 3-0

Goals: Schurrle (49, 87), Rolfes (pen 56)

Saturday 30th March 2013 - First Division 28/34

Koln vs Bayer Leverkusen

We haven't beaten our rivals in 5 games during my tenure to date - 4 draws and a defeat being a poor return and I am confident we can put an end to the run. It seems the players run out of steam after the last couple of games however and we produce a dire performance, not even looking like we will break down a Koln side reduced to 10 men after a 9th minute red card. Douglas is dismissed for a 2nd yellow towards the end of a game to forget.

Goals:

Manager Comments

The business end of the season is fast approaching and 7 games in the month reflects that we are where we want to be - still in all competitions. The bank balance is being done wonders by our Champions Cup exploits, which are also providing a welcome distraction from the foregone conclusion that is the league.

• 2 weeks later...

April 2013

Saturday 6th April 2013 - First Division 29/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hamburg

We are gifted an early courtesy of a penalty and never look back, putting in a commanding and controling performance. The game is effectively over when Guarch scores from a tight angle, whilst Daniel Kofi Agyei's late 30 yarder caps a pleasing display.

Goals: Renato Augusto pen (4), Guarch (32), Agyei (81)

Tuesday 9th April 2013 - Champions Cup Quarter Final 1st Leg

Liverpool (England) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Our 2nd visit to Anfield of the season, and we again edge a close game 1-0 to take an advantage back to Germany. Kiessling's fisrt half goal proves to be the winner, as he latches onto Barnetta's through ball and calmly takes it round Reina. Adler is man of the match but we could have been further clear but for wasteful finishing. Anfield is a happy hunting ground for us.

Scoreline: 0-1

Goals: Kiessling (28)

Sunday 14th April 2013 - First Division 30/34

Hannover 96 vs Bayer Leverkusen

We haven't conceded a goal for over a month now and this provides the foundation for another away victory. We stay patient and despite our dominance it is after the hour when Guarch, given a run in the side in the league for the first time, keeps his nerve twice after beating the offside trap.

Goals: Guarch (65, 79)

Wednesday 17th April 2013 - Champions Cup Quarter Final 2nd Leg

Bayer Leverkusen vs Liverpool (England)

Confidence is so high amongst the players now and we are playing like world beaters as I begin to dream of European glory. The 2nd leg against Liverpool is by no means a formality but the tie is virtually over after ten minutes as Renato Augusto and Kiessling give us a 2 goal lead. An own goal and a late penalty add an emphatic feel to the victory but we will have to be at our best to stand a chance in the semi, with Real Madrid up next at the BayArena.

Scoreline: 4-0

Goals: Renato Augusto (7), Kiessling (10), Insua o.g (44), Rolfes pen (79)

Semi Final Draw: Real Madrid (h,a)

Sunday 21st April 2013 - First Division 31/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borrussia Monchengladbach

Gladbach come to shut up shop as usual, and the gameplan doesn't change despite Hegeler heading us into an early lead. The visitors seem happy with a damage limitation exercise and try to nick a point in the last 10 minutes as I try to secure the points. Neither happens and it ends 1-0.

Goals: Hegeler (6)

Tuesday 30th April 2013 - Champions Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Bayer Leverkusen vs Real Madrid (Spain)

We are at the top of our game right now and have to be against a Madrid side looking for a hattrick of Champions Cup successes. What follows is remarkable as we leave that dream in tatters and start to dream of lifting the trophy ourselves. Kiessling sets the ball rolling as he slides in to connect with Barnetta's low ball. We then score 4 goals from corners! Felipe and Douglas head a goal each before the break and Agyei taps in after Felipe hits the bar in the 2nd half. He is not to be denied as he heads in his 2nd and our 5th late on. Job done.

Scoreline: 5-0

Goals: Kiessling (9), Felipe (30, 87), Douglas (38), Agyei (75)

Manager Comments

6 games, 6 clean sheets, 16 goals and a Champions Cup Final spot practically guaranteed. Nuff said.

The bad news - Bayern Munich are (deservadly) Champions of Germany

May 2013

The month starts with bad news as Andre Schurrle strains knee ligaments in training and is ruled out of the rest of the campaign.

Saturday 4th May 2013 - First Division 32/34

Eintract Frankfurt vs Bayer Leverkusen

We start sloppily and after the big win over Real Madrid, going in 1-0 down at the break is exactly what the players need to bring them back down to earth. Our 2nd half performance is convincing as we turn the match on its head. Guarch scores the pick of the goals as he cuts inside past 2 defenders at the byline and squeezes the ball in from an impossible looking angle at the near post. The bad news is Barnetta is out for the season with a broken ankle - a massive blow.

Goals: Cohen pen (20) ; Douglas (54), Guarch (78), Renato Augusto (90+1)

Wednesday 8th May 2013 - Champions Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg

Real Madrid (Spain) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Only a freak result will knock us out so I take a calculated risk to rest some of the main men. We lose 3-1 with Jorgensen scoring a nerve relieving goal after half an hour. One of my first choice that does play, Lars Bender, has his ribs broken and looks like he will also miss the run in.

Scoreline: 3-1 (Bayer Leverkusen win 6-3 on aggregate)

Goals: Pepe (28), Angel (49, 84) ; Jorgensen (34)

Final Draw: Arsenal

Saturday 11th May 2013 - First Division 33/34Bayer Leverkusen vs Werder Bremen

For the first time in 8 games we fail to score and it is against a poor Bremen side who profit from our profligacy as our defence doesn't come to the rescue this time around. Wolfsburg move into 2nd on goal difference, which is superior by 6.

Goals: Mollo (64)

Saturday 18th May 2013 - First Division 34/34

Freiburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

I know we must attack and hope Wolfsburg fail to win but, after a lively opening, it is Cisse who opens the scoring for Freiburg. We lose Rolfes to injury and a goal from Nicu sends us to another defeat. We are guaranteed 3rd and Wolfsburg win anyway to secure 2nd place. After the game it is confirmed that Rolfes will miss the two finals meaning that he joins Schurrle and Barnetta on the sidelines to leave my plans in tatters.

Goals: Cisse (18), Nicu (74)

Saturday 25th May 2013 - German Cup Final (Olympiastadion, Berlin)

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Dortmund

Lars Bender is back to face his brother and Borussia Dortmund and his return gives us a boost as we take the lead through Jorgensen's right foot shot. Our lead lasts just 3 minutes as the Lucas Barrios show begins. We just can't handle the Paraguayan as he levels with a low 20 yard shot. As the game edges closer to full time he heads in Grosskreutz's cross and delivers the knockout blow minutes later when he taps in after Sahin's shot comes back off the bar. Underachievers up to this point on the game, Dortmund deserve their win.

Goals: Jorgensen (18) ; Barrios (21, 76, 79)

June 2013

Saturday 1st June 2013 - Champions Cup Final (Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica)

Bayer Leverkusen vs Arsenal (England)

4 defeats in a row and injuries to 3 key players has rocked a team that looked unbeatable a month ago. I decide to switch to 4-4-2 in an attempt to take the game to Arsenal and make best use of my available players. It backfires as we are left too exposed at the back and rock bottom is reached just after half time, 3-0 down. Insult is added to injury as former Leverkusen man Vidal inspires Arsenal with a goal and commanding performance. We just don't show and leave the season empty handed in an extremely disappointing manner. I just wish we could have had a go with a full strength side in particular Barnetta, later voted player of the tournament.

Scoreline: 0-3

Goals: Chamakh (34), Vidal (38), Arshavin (52)

Manager Comments

Our final four game collapse was reminiscent of the Leverkusen of old and whilst I can (and will!) point to injuries to 4 key players at the end of the season (Barnetta, Schurrle, Bender and Rolfes), the scale of the collapse was still an embarrasment and the fans have the right to be disappointed in our performances. Firstly the final 2 league games means that we will have to play in a potentially tricky Champions Cup Playoff, whilst the 2nd German Cup Final defeat in my 3 year reign was a bitter pill to swallow. And, to cap it all of, an Arturo Vidal inspired Arsenal condemn us to defeat in the Champions Cup - a player I sold in my first few weeks in charge! Then I was offered the Manchester United job. £40 Million transfer kitty and a fantastic squad. I saved the game, slept on it, restarted the game...and turned it down. Tempting, but I can't leave Leverkusen on that note. We've unfinished business domestically and in Europe. Here's to next season.

Final League Table

European Co-efficients

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Board Expectations

First Division - Challenge for the title. Title was Bayern's all the way but the board seem happy with the 3rd place finish.

German Cup - Reach Final. Achieved - shame we lost again.

Champions Cup - Reach 1st Knockout round. Overachieved - reached Final against all odds, then capitulated.

Leverkusen Team of the Season

Key Men

Defence

Rene Adler - One of the best keepers in Europe never seems to put a foot wrong, the backbone of our solid defence.

Felipe - The free transfer signing from Fiorentina slotted in and actually outperformed Douglas at the heart of defence.

Midfield

Tranquillo Barnetta - Unsuprisingly player of the season, his performaces in the Champions League in particular were phenominal, leading him to be named player of the tournament with 5 goals and 8 assists from 9 games.

Simon Rolfes - The experienced midfielder had a consistent season, whilst also weighing in with 7 goals.

Attack

Stefan Kiessling - 17 goals from 38 in all competitions was a decent return for the German International. Ably backed up by Derdiyok and Guarch.

Pre-season update - July 2013

Summer Transfers

Outs

19 players have left the club with the majority being youth players not good enough for Leverkusen but also included Manuel Friedrich, who had hardly any game time this season due to the arrival of Felipe and Hegeler's good form. More notable departures were: -

Gonzalo Castro (26 year old German D/WBR/DM/MC) £5 Million Koln - A difficult player to manage and I have had enough of trying to please him, although I have not yet found anyone to replace him. Gives Petsos, Da Costa and Cortez a chance.

Zvonko Pamic (22 year old Croatian AMC/MC) £2 Million Eintract Frankfurt - A difficult decision to sell as I think Frankfurt have picked up a bargain but with Renato Augusto and Afellay in the squad, he is never really going to get a look in.

Eliaquim Mangala (21 year old French DC/DL/DM/MC) £600k loan fee Mainz - Used as part of the rotation last year, a year at fellow Bundesliga side Mainz will see if he has a future at this level.

Philipp Klement (21 year old German MC/DMC/AMC) - The promising midfielder has not improved much since joining and with Karlsruhe happy to pay half a million for his services, it is an easy decision to let him go.

Total Income: £8.4M

Ins

Julio (19 year old Spanish MC) - £4.1 Million Valencia - Has already spent a year on loan at 2nd tier Spanish club Rayo Vallecano, I may have paid over the odds for Julio but I am hoping he can develop into a massive asset for the club. Looking at the youth team I already had, this was 1 area where we are a bit light.

Antonio Panza (17 year old Italian DM/ML/AMLC/MC) - £1.1 Million Napoli - Another one for the future signed for his natural ability in 4 positions, which is a huge asset for any club.

Jeremy Toulalan (30 year old French DM/MC) - £3 Million Lyon - Not needed by Lyon, I feel Toulalan is a bit of a bargain that will bolster the options in the centre of the park and I am hoping to use his experience to guide some of the youngsters.

Adrien (24 year old Portugese MC/DM) - £12.75 Million Sporting Lisbon - My biggest signing to date is a bit of a gamble but Man United were sniffing around. Needs to have an impact with that price tag.

Gokhan Klose (17 year old German DM/ML/AMLC/MC) - £2.2 Million Schalke - Another for the future that can play in the same number of natural positions as Panza. Just over £2 Million could be a bargain in a few years.

Total Expenditure: £23M

As you may have guessed, I felt that the centre of midfield was our weakest department but add the above to Bender, Renato Augusto, Rolfes and Kofi Agyei and suddenly we are overstocked if anything. I'm hoping the choice will push the players to perform well.

Youth Intake

The annual lottery has thrown up the following player that could have a future at the club.

Martin Wagner (16 year old DC) - An imposing, determined and hard working defender, I am thinking potential future captain of the club.

Review of Personal Objectives

Make Leverkusen into the team to beat in Germany - We improved our reputation in Europe but Bayern were excellent this year - the only disappointment was that I didn't finish 2nd. That is the minimum expectation for next season.

Avenge the 2002 'Treble Horror' - We are getting into finals which is always a good sign - hopefully the experience will bring the team back stronger than ever.

Develop the stature of the club - We certainly attracted attention in Europe last season, and we will have a new stadium from June 2015, the 41,200 seater Ramelow Arena!! That will help the finances nicely in the long run!

Interesting read and am trying my hand in Germany myself. Have been at 1860 Munich for 2 1/2 years and doing my best to try and compete with the likes of Bayern. There are so many good teams in Germany it can be tough I know.

On the subject of your versatile 17 year old I reckon in the long term he would be best suited to the DMC or MC role but I think Toulalan could be a cracking buy for you especially at £3m. That new stadium hopefully will increase your revenues but I've noticed there can be some cracking free players around- as a smaller club like 1860 I end up relying on good frees and Africa is also a good market.

KUTGW :thup:

August 2013

After a quiet pre-season where the 5 games we participated in yielded 6 goals, I am looking forward to the commencement of the league. The Champions Cup has thrown up a stinker of a tie - AC Milan. I am hoping to repeat the victory in the Last 16 of the competition last season.

Saturday 3rd August 2013 - German Cup First Round

Bamburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

I like the first round of the cup being at the start of the season as it helps boost fitness ahead of the league campaign. I name a stronger side than I normally would and we ease to victory and avoid injuries - Kiessling bagging a goal in each half.

Scoreline: 0-4

Goals: Kiessling (34, 57), Afellay (37), Pocognoli (90+1)

Saturday 17th August 2013 - First Division 1/34

Last season I only won 6 of 17 games away from the Bay Arena with 7 draws and 4 defeats. With this in mind I play an attacking 4-4-2 formation and, whilst Frankfurt edge a goaless first half, I keep the faith and we put in a much more accomplished display in the 2nd half, running out 2-0 winners thanks to headers from Guarch and Douglas.

Goals: Guarch (50), Douglas (56)

League Position: 5th

Tuesday 20th August 2013 - Champions Cup Best Placed Playoff 1st Leg

Bayer Leverkusen vs AC Milan

Home at first suits me fine and the fired up players storm into a lead that leaves me wondering why I had been so bothered about this tie. Felipe heads in a corner before Milan are undone by 2 simple long straight balls. For the first Hegeler's free kick from his own half is flighted into the edge of the area and Kiessling gets ahead of the keeper to nod in. We make it 3 when Derdiyok wants it more than the Milan defender and races through to smash the ball home from close range. We are seconds from a perfect performance when Pato goes on a mazy run through my defence and finishes past Adler to give Milan an away goal and sour an otherwise great performance.

Scoreline: 3-1

Goals: Felipe (13), Kiessling (33), Derdiyok (65) ; Pato (90+3)

Sunday 25th August 2013 - First Division 2/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Dortmund (6th)

We carry on our good form in midweek against underachievers Dortmund, with one of the rotation players, Sidney Sam, demonstrating our strength in depth by scoring 2 goals in an all action man of the match performance. Whilst we concede from a set piece, Adrien comes off the bench to net his first in red and black and seal the victory.

Goals: Sam (18, 47), Adrien (90+3) ; Subotic (36)

League Position: 4th

Wednesday 28th August 2013 - Champions Cup Best Placed Playoff 1st Leg

AC Milan vs Bayer Leverkusen

After Milan's late goal last week, we have the classic conundrum of whether to stick with what we've got or go for the killer away goal. I have confidence in the defence and we line up 4-2-3-1. We have a good share of the game but Pato is again our nemesis to leave the tie delicately poised at 3-2 to us at half time. We create 4 clear cut chances in the game but Kiessling is particularly wasteful and just as we appear to have scraped through, Douglas misses an interception and, despite Adler saving Sanchez's initial shot, Cassano sweeps in the rebound and Milan go through in heartbreaking fashion. Last year's finalists are dumped out in a devastating early blow to my season.

Scoreline: 2-0 (Aggregate 3-3. AC Milan win on the away goals ruling)

Goals: Pato (32), Cassano (90+1)

Manager Comments

It was all going so well until that cursed night in Milan. We should have won the game and been comfortably through on aggregate but we lost 2-0 and will have to settle for the EURO Cup, a competition we should be winning. That's a new challenge, but we are going to miss the Champions Cup revenue in the long run and we cannot afford to risk the lottery of the Champions Cup playoff. Our EURO Cup group looks favourable (Le Mans, Twente and Aris Salonika), which may give an opportunity to the youngsters to gain some experience. Every cloud...

Agree with S2008 on Panza being a DM. 9 in creativity, 9 in flair, 7 in dribbling... i know he's going to get better but doesn't strike me as a very good attacking player. Whereas he's balanced for a DM. Which is a shame given his natural ability also in ML, AML, AMC.

Tough luck on the playoff, drawing Milan and then losing on a stoppage time goal, ouch. It's pretty bad news because the Europa League gives a lot less prize money.

S2008 - Thanks for the comments. Germany is tough - take Borussia Dortmund in my game. They've not finished in the top 4 in any of the seasons so far! Getting the bargains is one of my favourite parts of FM. Toulalan for £3M and Afellay for £2.7M are my favourite signings to date.

noikeee - Milan was tough to take and especially with the income I received from getting all the way to the final last year. At least I have a chance to tick the EURO Cup off the list of trophies to win!

Gokhan Klose seems to be a better prospect than Panza, but he also seems better suited to central midfield than on the wing. This season is the first where I anticipate some of the youth team players I either inherited or bought could start to break into the first team.

September 2013

Tuesday 3rd September 2013 - First Division 3/34

Wolfsburg (6th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I decide to match the hosts 4-1-4-1 formation with the wingers advanced and we cancel each other out in a dull first half. With Adrien struggling to fit into the team, I throw on Guarch and switch to 4-4-2 in a bold move that works wonders as Kiessling bags 2 goals within 10 minutes of the 2nd half and Sam seals the win just after the hour after Barnetta's fine run and cross. The only negative is when Kiessling misses a late penalty to be denied a hattrick.

Scoreline: 0-3

Goals: Kiessling (48, 53), Sam (65)

Saturday 14th September 2013 - First Division 4/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Dusseldorf (17th)

The definition of a home banker, the visitors are Bundesliga new boys but despite us dominating the game, a changed team can't breakthrough. Just as the desperation sets in, Douglas heads in a corner as we squeeze over the line.

Goals: Douglas (88)

Thursday 19th September 2013 - EURO Cup Group G 1/6

Bayer Leverkusen vs FC Twente (Netherlands)

Our opener in the group stage is another game that we dominate but struggle to take our chances. After Guarch scores from Adrien's through ball, we have to wait until stoppage time when a dubious looking penalty is despatched by Jorgensen.

Goals: Guarch (31), Jorgensen (90+1)

Group Position: 1st

Sunday 22nd September 2013 - First Division 5/34

Nurnberg (9th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

4-4-2 is the best formation for us on the road at the moment as we again dominate the game. We stay patient and are rewarded with 2 goals in 9 2nd half minutes as Guarch and Schurrle secure us 3 points.

Goals: Guarch (64), Schurrle (73)

Wednesday 25th September 2013 - First Division 6/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hamburg (12th)

We are seemingly unbeatable at the moment and flood forward with confidence against Hamburg. It is the visitors that lead but Barnetta quickly pulls us back on terms. Hamburg go in 2-1 up but I am still confident we can turn things round. That is until Westerman makes it 3-1 on 53 minutes. Jorgensen gives us hope with 25 to go but despite attack after attack we lose our first game of the season and I can't help but feel that it was an avoidable defeat and careless defending cost us.

Scoreline: 2-3

Goals: Barnetta (20), Jorgensen (64) ; Heung-Min (14), Giuliano (37), Westermann (53)

Saturday 28th september 2013 - First Division 7/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Freiburg (6th)

After the midweek slip up it is essential that we win to keep in touch with unbeaten Bayern Munich. We start slowly but the defence is much more solid and we don't look like conceding. We up the ante in the 2nd half and Sam keeps his nerve when played in on goal to win us the game.

Goals: Sam (76)

Manager Comments

6 wins from 7 games is an excellent start to the new campaign and we probably should still have a 100% record. Bayern Munich have been just as good though, and lead the league by a single point. With the exception of Hamburg, our defence has been excellent and unbreached as Douglas and Felipe again striking up a strong partnership in front of Rene Adler.

First Division

October 2013

Thursday 3rd October 2013 - EURO Cup Group G 2/6

Aris Salonika (Greece) vs Bayer Leverkusen

We travel to Greece looking to stamp our authority on a weak group and achieve exactly that, winning by 2 goals that was a bit flattering on the hosts. Digne continued his impressive form in staking a claim for a first team spot at left back, whilst we rely on an own goal and a late Kiessling finish to secure the points.

Goals: Sifakis og (23), Kiessling (90)

Sunday 6th October 2013 - First Division 8/34

Bayern Munich vs Bayer Leverkusen

The showdown of the top 2 shapes up to be a classic but it doesn't live up to it's reputation this time round. The signs are good as we take the lead from a corner and Diego Castro is sent off for the hosts 10 minutes before the break. We can't make the man advantage count when Gomez finishes a good Bayern move. We miss the opportunity to leapfrog our rivals and stay 2nd.

Scoreline: 1-1

Goals: Gomez (66) ; Toulalan (16)

Wednesday 9th October 2013 - German Cup 2nd Round

Alemannia Aachen (2nd Division) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Aachen give me a good game demonstrating why they are pushing for promotion but Toulalan scores for the 2nd game running - a fine 20 yard low drive - and Barnetta seals the win late on when following up debut substitute Denis' shot.

Goals: Toulalan (40), Barnetta (90+3)

Saturday 19th October 2013 - First Division 9/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Mainz

We keep up the pressure on Bayern Munich as we blow away a poor Mainz. Felipe scores on 8 minutes before a quickfire double from Kiessling as he twice runs on to through balls and finishes 1 on 1 situations. Schurrle adds a fourth after rounding the keeper and Douglas completes a first half rout on the stroke of half time allowing us to take our foot off the gas and rest players in the 2nd half.

Goals: Felipe (8), Kiessling (25, 28), Schurrle (38), Douglas (45+1)

Thursday 24th October 2013 - EURO Cup Group G 3/6

Bayer Leverkusen vs Le Mans FC (France)

Again Felipe gives me an early lead and Schurrle and co make light work of Le Mans by cruising into a 3 goal lead in less than a quarter of an hour. It allows me to introduce Denis in the 2nd half and use all 3 subs to rotate players.

Goals: Felipe (2), Schurrle (9, 13) ; Mbokani (52)

Sunday 27th October 2013 - First Division 10/34

For the 3rd game running we score within 10 minutes, with Douglas heading in a set play. We control much of the half and our defence is untroubled. At half time, I switch to a more attacking 4-4-2 to try and kill the game off but Schalke and Fauvergue have different ideas as he emerges from the break as a world class striker as he curls in from the edge of the area before connecting with a diving header to turn the match on its head. We push for an equaliser but it isn't to be as our closest rivals for 2nd place in the league gain 3 points on us and we fall adrift of the seemingly unbeatable Bayern Munich.

Goals: Fauvergue (47, 60) ; Douglas (6)

Tuesday 29th October 2013 - German Cup 3rd Round

Bayer Leverkusen vs Aue

Another cup game against lower league opposition shouldn't be the hardest of fixtures and a much changed team get back to winning ways thanks to Guarch in the first half, and Sam's 2nd half header coming in off the wing to meet opposite winger Barnetta's cross.

Goals: Guarch (43), Sam (66)

Manager Comments

Just the 3 league games this month and 2 were against the 1st and 3rd in the league. To only take 1 point from those 2 games was disappointing and something we have to improve on to have a chance of winning the league again. The EURO Cup has been a breeze so far, and I will be able to blood more youngsters as soon as qualification is confirmed, which will surely be a formality.

November 2013

Saturday 2nd November 2013 - First Division 11/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Koln

The first Leverkusen Koln derby of the season follows a familiar pattern as we dominate the game but fail to breakthrough thanks to some pretty woeful finishing. I am still yet to taste victory in this fixture into my 4th season in charge. After the game Felipe is ruled out for a month with broken ribs.

Goals:

Thursday 7th November 2013 - EURO Cup Group G 4/6

Le Mans FC (France) vs Bayer Leverkusen

We start well and when a long ball from Hegeler puts Kiessling through we have a great chance to take the lead. Wogue hacks him down and is dismissed as last man making our task much easier. We win by a single goal thanks to Rolfes' header but it was a victory that was never in doubt and could have been by a bigger margin.

Goals: Rolfes (34)

Sunday 10th November 2013 - First Division 12/34

Hoffenheim vs Bayer Leverkusen

Hoffenheim have again done well in the Bundesliga and I am certainly in a game. Jorgensen and Barnetta are creating well on the wings and Derdiyok always looks capable of scoring up front. Barnetta gets the only goal, a deflected free kick but Douglas and Hegeler are excellent at the back as we keep another clean sheet.

Goals: Barnetta (51)

Saturday 23rd November 2013 - First Division 13/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Werder Bremen

Promising full back Paolo Cortez debuts at full back and plays an assured 90 minutes as he looks to establish himself in the first team. At the other end, goals at the start of each half from Derdiyok and Kiessling are enough for a comfortable victory after another solid performance.

Goals: Kiessling (4), Derdiyok (48)

Manager Comments

After starting with the standard draw with Koln, we won every game and didn't concede a goal all month. We have qualified for the latter stages of the EURO Cup and I will look to blood more of the younger players in the remaining games.

December 2013

Sunday 1st December 2013 - First Division 14/34

Borussia Monchengladbach vs Bayer Leverkusen

Gladbach are no pushovers but we should be winning games like this. Ahead through Hegeler's header we are unusually slack at the back and allow Gladbach to score either side of half time to take control. We have chances to get at least a draw but nothing falls our way and it is an extremely disappointing defeat.

Goals: Garrido (36), Hanke (58) ; Hegeler (31)

Thursday 5th December 2013 - EURO Cup Group G 5/6

FC Twente (Netherlands) vs Bayer Leverkusen

With us on the brink of qualification, I try out a more attacking formation with the 2 DM's in my 4-2-3-1 occupying MC positions. It results in an exciting game but we are slightly too exposed at the back. Thankfully, Guarch takes his chance to impress with a superb hattrick. we are never less than 2 goals to the good and emerge comfortable 6-3 victors.

Scoreline: 3-6

Goals: Babb (17), Bos (47), Vasko (75) ; Guarch (14, 33, 72), Barnetta (26), Jorgensen (57), Douglas (90+3)

Sunday 8th December 2013 - First Division 15/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Augsburg

I name a strong line up and hope to get the job done early as I have 2 of our promising youths on the bench. Jorgensen scores after his initial shot is saved before turning provider for Barnetta 2 minutes into the 2nd half. Klose and Ejiofor are given half an hour first team action to aid their development but despite dominating completely, we cannot add to the scoreline.

Goals: Jorgensen (31), Barnetta (47)

Saturday 14th December 2013 - First Division 16/34

Stuttgart vs Bayer Leverkusen

It is again our away form that lets us down as we play poorly at Stuttgart and don't deserve victory. It is a close game of little chances and I am disppointed with the performance. Despite going 4-4-2 for the last 20 minutes, it doesn't make a difference and our title challenge is faltering again.

Goals:

Thursday 19th December 2013 - EURO Cup Group G 6/6

Bayer Leverkusen vs Aris Salonika (Greece)

With 1st place secured, I hand first starts to Panza and Klose, with Ejiofor and Da Costa given further chances to impress. The blend of youth and experience works perfectly as we run out convincing victors 3-0. I can even bring another youngster, Julio, as the fans get a glimpse of the future.

Goals: Guarch (14), Sam (68), Vida (84)

Sunday 22nd December 2013 - First Division 17/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hannover 96

We take the lead in the first half through the ever reliable Barnetta but when Konan equalises early in the 2nd half, I start to think that re-instating the first team was a bad idea. We are poor in the final third until we are gifted a lifeline in the 90th minute - a penalty. Renato Augusto keeps his nerve to win us the 3 points.

Goals: Barnetta (6), Renato Augusto (pen 90) ; Konan (46)

Manager Comments

Bayern Munich lost their last 2 games before the winter break which means they aren't as far clear as they looked a couple of weeks ago. We will need an excellent 2nd half of the season to push Bayern all the way though because since Mancini took over, they don't lose many league games. A perfect record in Europe has led me to believe we should be one of the favourites to win the tournament. We have a tricky tie in the 1st knockout stage however - Valencia. And Borussia Dortmund are doing alright in the EURO Cup as well!

First Division

EURO Cup Group G

No luck in Europe this season I see... drawing Milan in the CL playoff then Valencia early in the Europa League...

The german league really is tough, another year of a fierce fight for the title - it's a bit rare to see a human manager win a league then struggle to win it again despite a slowly improved squad every season. Anything can happen being 3 points behind tho, my sides tend to always perform much better in the later parts of the season, so if that was my team I'd actually be surprised to not win the title from that position. :p

January 2014

With us failing to qualify for the Champions Cup this season, we can't afford to spend big so I rely on a couple of shrewd free transfers that will join at the end of the season and a lightning quick young Russian striker by the name of Alexey Ignatov, also joining in July for £5 Million. There were outgoings however, extremely reluctant ones in some cases...

Out

Denis (20 year old Spanish AMC/MC) £1.5M Marseille - The young midfielder has shown glimpses of promise in his fairly brief time here but I stand to make £1 Million after developing him for just 1 season.

Danny Da Costa (20 year old German DR/DC) - £350k loan fee Frankfurt - An ideal loan for the young full back will give him some much needed match experience at the top level.

Nicolai Jorgensen (23 year old Danish AML/ML/AMR) - £8.5 Million Schalke 04 - Jorgensen has improved and impressed this season and, after rejecting 2 approached from Schalke, an £8.5 Million bid was deemed too good to turn down by the chairman much to my annoyance. With Barnetta, Sam and Schurrle as the only natural wingers at the club, the money needs to be re-invested at some point but I couldn't find anyone suitable before the end of the window.

Michal Kadlec (29 year old Czech DL/WBL) - £5.75 Million Malaga - Another tough decision as Kadlec has often been my first choice but with young Digne taking his chance and Pocognoli for backup, I don't think we will ever get a better offer for the 29 year old.

Total Income: £16.1 Million

Saturday 18th January 2014 - First Division 18/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Eintract Frankfurt

First game after the winter break and Derdiyok is off to a flyer, netting after just 4 minutes. With us looking comfortable, Meier's shot hits the post, hits Adler and goes in. The half time team talk is made easier when Digne's cross is met by Jorgensen and it turns out to be the winning goal after a quiet 2nd half.

Goals: Derdiyok (4), Jorgensen (45) ; Adler o.g (29)

Sunday 26th January 2014 - First Division 19/34

Borussia Dortmund vs Bayer Leverkusen

Dortmund are again underperforming with a quality side and the teams cancel each other out in a first half to forget. With both defences on top, it takes something special to break the deadlock. Kagawa cuts inside past Pocognoli and lets fly into the top corner. With time running out, we equalise through a very route 1 goal. Petsos' long ball over the top is chased down by Kiessling who squares it for Derdiyok to earn us a share of the spoils.

Goals: Kagawa (53) ; Derdiyok (83)

Manager Comments

Just the 2 games this month and 4 points is a decent return considering our visit to Dortmund. The £16.1 Million received in transfer fees will make up for most of the Champions Cup shortfall but I am annoyed at losing Jorgensen as I had 4 quality wingers that I was able to keep fresh most of the time. Now, a prolonged injury for 1 of the 3 remaining and I will be down to bare bones straight away. I'm also looking at wingers for the youth team and the future in the summer.

February 2014

My mistake, we face Valencia in the quarter final of the EURO Cup, not the 1st knockout round. Oops - spoiler!

Saturday 1st February 2014 - First Division 20/34

Hamburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

The game starts badly as Felipe is carried off with a torn calf muscle and is unlikely to be fit for most of the rest of the season. I am impressed by the following performance though as, lining up 4-4-2, Kiessling and Derdiyok get a goal apiece at the end of each half in identical fashion. They run onto low balls across the penalty area to score from 6 yards.

Goals: Kiessling (45+2), Derdiyok (90)

Saturday 8th February 2014 - First Division 21/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Wolfsburg

Our fantastic home form continues against a bright Wolfsburg team. In a game with chances at either end, we have to wait until a 74th minute dubious penalty to take the lead through Rolfes. 5 minutes later Derdiyok adds the killer second, reacting first to his own shot to slam an unstoppable bullet high into the goal.

Goals: Rolfes pen (74), Derdiyok (79)

Wednesday 12th February 2014 - German Cup Quarter Final

Bayer Leverkusen vs Koblenz

We have the easiest draw on paper but the changes I make mean we start slowly and Nosworthy gives the visitors a half time lead from their only opportunity. We dominate the 2nd half but it takes the introduction of Renato Augusto, who contributes a goal and assist, to win us the game.

Goals: Renato Augusto (79), Hegeler (83) ; Nosworthy (32)

Semi Final Draw: Wolfsburg (h)

Saturday 15th February 2014 - First Division 22/34

Dusseldorf vs Bayer Leverkusen

Heavily fancied against struggling Dusseldorf, I hand Cees Bielen his full debut at centre half. At the other end Eren Derdiyok is unstoppable as he scores a hattrick inside 8 first half minutes to give us a 3-0 lead. Sam adds a fourth after half time and despite a Dusseldorf consolation Derdiyok completes the rout after turning the centre half and firing past the hapless goalkeeper.

Scoreline: 1-5

Goals: Wolze (74) ; Derdiyok (15, 20, 23, 77), Sam (58)

Thursday 20th February 2014 - EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg

AS Monaco (France) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I set up to control the game with 2 screening DMCs but the dangerous front 4 of Barnetta, Renato Augusto and Sam behind Kiessling. We restrict Monaco to half chances and take the lead just before half time when an incisive breakaway leads to Barnetta latching onto Kiessling's through ball to score. Monaco push on in the second half but again we have the better of the chances and score a priceless second in injury time when Kiessling's shot is parried straight to Sidney Sam who solts into the empty net. Perfect result.

Goals: Barnetta (40), Sam (90+1)

Sunday 23rd February 2014 - First Division 23/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Nurnberg

We start like a house on fire and the game is over before half time. In a rare start, Guarch finds the net from Sam's through ball. Barnetta is felled in the area and Renato Augusto makes it 2 before Sam gets himself on the scoresheet finishing into the roof of the net from Renato Augusto's cross. We lose Pocognoli to injury in addition to Digne from the previous game and are looking a bit bare at the back.

Goals: Guarch (16), Renato Augusto pen (25), Sam (38)

Thursday 27th February 2014 - EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg

Bayer Leverkusen vs AS Monaco (France)

We put in a professional display to see off the French and confirm our place in the next round. That place is secured when Renato Augusto scores a 35 yard free kick. We sustain injuries to Barnetta (3 weeks) and Kiessling (2 weeks).

Scoreline: 1-0 (Bayer Leverkusen win 3-0 on aggregate)

Goals: Renato Augusto (68)

Quarter Final Draw: Valencia (a, h)

Manager Comments

A really satisfying month as we won every game and kept the pressure up on Bayern Munich at the top. Unfortunately they haven't buckled yet and we are still 2 points from the top. I just hope injuries won't take their toll in the same way as last season.

March 2014

Sunday 2nd March 2014 - First Division 24/37

All our good work in February is thrown away in the first game in March as, looking to capitalise on Bayern's draw the previous day, we are deservedly beaten at Freiburg. In an uneventful game, Rosenthal scores late on for Freiburg and, as I send everyone forward late on, the same player seals the win for Freiburg

Goals: Rosenthal (81, 90)

Saturday 8th March 2014 - First Division 25/37

Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich

We are 3 points behind going into the biggest game of the season which would probably decide the title if Munich win. We need to win to put Bayern under pressure and start well but cannot finish any of our chances. With half time approaching, Robben gives the visitors the lead when he goes past Digne and flights a chip over Adler from the right edge of the area into the far corner. We struggle to create any clear cut chances in the 2nd half but neither do Bayern as I am forced to throw on Guarch and go for broke. With 5 minutes to go, he plays a one two with Sam and finishes low into the bottom corner to give us hope of an unlikely victory. It finishes 1-1 however, and status quo in terms of league positions.

Goals: Guarch (86) ; Robben (43)

Thursday 13th March 2014 - EURO Cup 2nd Knockout Round 1st Leg

Valencia (Spain) vs Bayer Leverkusen

The 2nd knockout phase has given us possibly the trickiest draw I could have had but it will be a good test of how far we have come since they knocked us out in season 1. I set up defensively to try to contain Mata and co and it works in the first half as, despite the hosts having lots of shots, most are unharmful long range efforts. Just as I feel we have seen out the best that the hosts have to offer, pacey winger Aubameyang scores twice with 20 minutes remaining. I have a dilemma of wanting a valuable away goal without wanting to concede again but I keep it the same as we have already created and spurned good chances of our own. Toulalan has a strong penalty claim turned down, before Derdiyok scores an important goal with just 4 minutes remaining as we break from a corner and Afellay's shot can only be parried into Derdiyok's path. In stoppage time we have a glorious chance to equalise, as Sam's deep ball is met by Afellay, but his free header goes over. A defeat but nothing that can't be rectified at the BayArena.

Goals: Aubameyang (59, 71) ; Derdiyok (86)

Sunday 16th March 2014 - First Division 26/37

Mainz vs Bayer Leverkusen

With the return against Valencia in 4 days time, I rotate the side which means an attacking 4-4-2 to attack Mainz. It works, as we regularly create good chances and run out comfortable winners as Hegeler initially gives us a half time lead before the returning Kiessling seals the win on 75 with a long range strike and Sam adds a 3rd in the final minute as the substitute finishes after Guarch's through ball.

Goals: Hegeler (31), Kiessling (75), Sam (90)

Thursday 20th March 2014 - EURO Cup 2nd Knockout Round 2nd Leg

Bayer Leverkusen vs Valencia (Spain)

Our 1 goal deficit is immediately removed as Sam scores in the first minute from Schurrle's lofted through ball. The German is on fire and he lays on Kiessling for our 2nd after just 12 minutes. We are completely dominating and Hegeler scores a 3rd from a corner before Kiessling's 2nd makes it 4-0. We still aren't finished though as Renato Augusto scores the best of the lot, running onto Hegeler's long ball and thrashing a 25 yard shot in off the angle to make it an astonishing 5-0 at half time! It just gets better and better after the break as Schurrle tees up the confident Renato Augusto who curls in a 35 yard screamer before Afellay rounds a hapless Valencia keeper to compund their misery and make it 7-0 on 64 minutes! I make 3 subs and even the late sending off of Digne for a reckless challenge can't take the edge off a magnificent victory.

Scoreline: 7-0

Goals: Sam (1), Kiessling (12, 39), Heleger (37), Renato Augusto (42, 49), Afellay (64)

Quarter Final Draw: Catania (h,a)

Sunday 23rd March 2014 - First Division 27/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Schalke 04

Schalke are leading a group of 4 teams with 3rd place in their sights and with Jorgensen back at the BayArena for the first time it shapes up to be an interesting game. A quiet opening is the result but the game is turned on its head after 16 minutes when Digne decides to recklessly hack Gavranovic down and we are down to 10 - his 2nd red in as many games. We re-shuffle to 4-4-1 with Schurrle and Sam pushed on as wingers and it suits us as we have the better of the play and possession. Schurrle is at the centre of everything attacking wise for us and, from his ball, we take the lead halfway through the 2nd half through a magical strike from Kiessling. We are creating chances but can't finish and, with 1 of their only attacks in the game, Adler is uncharacteristically beaten at his near post by Uchida's 20 yard shot. The point leaves us 5 behind Bayern Munich with 7 games to play.

Goals: Kiessling (74) ; Uchida (86)

Tuesday 25th March 2014 - German Cup Semi Final

Bayer Leverkusen vs Wolfsburg

After playing much of the last game with 10 men only 48 hours later, I am forced to rest the tired Schurrle, Renato Augusto and Sam. We still start in a tired manner and I am thinking of switching formation at half time, particularly as we are 1 down after Wolfsburg scramble in a corner. I give the players the chance to put it right and we are on level terms 42 seconds into the 2nd half when Barnetta's deep cross is met by Afellay. It is Wolfsbug that edge back in front with 15 to go through Mandzukic so I throw on Derdiyok and Kiessling in a desperate attempt to force extra time but, after having a penalty claim turned down and Rolfes spurning a free header, it is Wolfsburg who progress to the final.

Scoreline: 1-2

Goals: Afellay (46), Prib (43), Manszukic (77)

Manager Comments

We are fighting a losing battle to keep in touch with Bayern Munich in the lead but we have to keep attacking until it is mathmatically impossible to catch them. The German Cup Semi Final was frustrating as we had only played 48 hours earlier and it was a tired performance but our victory over Valencia has to be the best performance we have put in since I began.

First Division

April 2014

Thursday April 3rd 2014 - EURO Cup Quarter Final 1st Leg

Bayer Leverkusen vs Catania (Italy)

The transformation of Catania from mid table strugglers to European contenders has been remarkable over the last 2 years but we are still rightly heavy favourites for this tie. I decide to give Afellay a chance ahead of Renato Augusto and he repays the faith with a fierce shot to give us the lead. We dominate the game but our finishing is poor and otherwise mostly from long range as Catania do their best to frustrate. With time running out, Douglas heads in Barnetta's corner and we have a 2 goal cushion to take to Italy.

Goals: Afellay (2), Douglas (77)

Sunday 6th April 2014 - First Division 28/34

The matches are coming thick and fast and the pressure is really on as Munich are now 11 points clear having played 2 games more. Thankfully, we produce an excellent first half, scoring 3 goals and looking dangerous everytime we go forward. Unfortunately, the players think its over at half time and Hoffenheim score twice in quick succession to leave us with a nervy half hour, Marko Marin being the architect with a goal and assist. I make a couple of changes and we are spared a nervy ending when Sidney Sam scores his 2nd to cap a man-of-the-match performace.

Scoreline: 4-2

Goals: Derdiyok (4), Hegeler (33), Sam (36, 85) ; Marin (51), Reus (58)

Thursday 10th April 2014 - EURO Cup Quarter Final 2nd Leg

Catania (Italy) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I ask the players to control the game as we are more than capable of scoring the away goal that should prove too much for Catania. 19 minutes gone and we are rewarded when Kiessling's left foot strike gives us the lead. Just 13 minutes later we are 2-1 down as Maxi Lopez scores from close range and a corner as Catania pile forward. We weather the storm and at half time bring on Barnetta for the disappointing Schurrle. We manage to get into some sort of control of the game and when Barnetta scores with 8 minutes left, our place in the semi final is secured.

Scoreline: 2-2 (Bayer Leverkusen win 4-2 on aggregate)

Goals: Maxi Lopez (26, 32) ; Kiessling (19, 82)

Semi Final Draw: Schalke (a, h)

Sunday 13th April 2014 - First Division 29/34

Werder Bremen vs Bayer Leverkusen

Bremen are again in danger of relegation but are unbeaten in 4 and it could be a tricky game. Derdiyok gives us a first half lead and when he lays on Barnetta for 2-0 early in the 2nd half we are cruising. We take our foot off the gas and allow Kroos to get 1 back with 25 minutes to go before Naldo heads in a corner to make it 2-2. Despite shoving everyone forward at the death, Derdiyok and Hegeler can only find the side netting with their efforts and we cannot take advantage of Bayern's draw a day earlier.

Scoreline: 2-2

Goals: Kroos (65), Naldo (82) ; Derdiyok (24), Barnetta (49)

Wednesday 16th April 2014 - First Division 30/34

Koln vs Bayer Leverkusen

Our game in hand is against our rivals and team we can't buy a win against. But we start well and Sam's low finish from Schurrle's through ball separates the teams at half time. In the 2nd half, Riise gets in behind Pocognoli to finish past Adler amongst suspicions of offside. Any hope of us pushing for a winner are dashed when Schurrle (6-7 weeks) and Renato Augusto are forced off injured in the last 20 minutes.

Goals: Sam (25) ; Riise (50)

Saturday 19th April 2014 - First Division 31/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Monchengladbach

The league looks over as we enter the final stages of the season and with us comfortably ahead of 3rd, there is a chance we will be able to give young players more experience as soon as 2nd place is confirmed. That comes a bit closer as we comfortably despatch Gladbach, courtesy of a Derdiyok double and a 30 yard curler from Lars Bender. Douglas is ruled out for 6 weeks though, as we will be without both our 1st choice centre halves for the EURO Cup semi.

Goals: Derdiyok (18, 35), Bender (63)

Thursday 24th April 2014 - EURO Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

With a German club guaranteed to be in the final we take on a Schalke side that is as depleted as my own slightly makeshift 11. I decide attack is probably the best form of defence in selecting a 1 up top formation with no holding midfield player. We take the lead through another of Hegeler's valuable set play goals but the lead doesn't last long as Ideye Brown equalises 2 minutes later. We retake the lead in an end-to-end first half when Bender breaks from midfield to slot Kiessling's ball past Neuer. In the 2nd half Brown drives Schalke into the lead as first he takes advantage of slack defending from a long throw to beat Adler from 10 yards before unleashing a thunderous strike from the edge of the area to seal a hattrick. We attack again and 7 minutes later are level when Sam's first and second efforts are blocked only for Bender to get his 2nd with a low shot. I am settling for 3 each before Brown steals the headlines and the victory for Schalke with his fourth after he is unforgiveably left unmarked at the near post after a low cross. A thrilling game with great offensive (and poor defensive) plays sets this tie up for another thriller at the BayArena next week.

Scoreline: 4-3

Goals: Brown (11, 66, 71, 90) ; Hegeler (9), Bender (18, 78)

Sunday 27th April 2014 - First Division 32/34

FC Augsburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

A victory against the probably relegated Augsburg has 2 differing outcomes. We are guaranteed 2nd as we are 7 points clear of our nearest challengers whilst Bayern's victory gives them a 2nd title in as many seasons. On the field, Hegeler gives us an early lead before Sliskovic equalises for the hosts. Sam restores our advantage with an open goal at the end of the first half and it stays that way until a late cameo from Renato Augusto sees him finish with 2 goals and the man-of-the-match award for 18 minutes work.

Scoreline: 1-4

Goals: Sliskovic (19) ; Hegeler (10), Sam (45+2), Renato Augusto (82, 90)

Manager Comments

Our season hangs on 1 game - possibly 2 - if we can beat Schalke and go on to win the EURO Cup, otherwise it will be a failure as we have failed to catch Bayern Munich and crashed out of the German Cup at the same time. We have already achieved 1 more point than last season with 2 games to play, so we have improved at least. This has been proven by our guarantee of finishing 2nd.

League Table

May 2014

Thursday 1st May 2014 - EURO Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg

Bayer Leverkusen vs Schalke 04

Our home form has been unbelievable in the 4 years I have been in charge, and we start off carrying that confidence. It takes 20 minutes to break the deadlock when Renato Augusto reacts first to a loose ball following a corner to make it 1-0. We are 2 up on the night and on aggregate due to away goals when Augusto lays on Kiessling who fires an unstoppable shot past Neuer in the 56th minute but just 3 minutes later Ciprian Deac scores a blinder from 25 yards out and its game on. Despite pulling a goal back, we continue to dominate and Renato Augusto seals our place in the final when he breaks from his own half from a corner and keeps his cool to slot past Neuer.

Scoreline: 3-1 (Bayer Leverkusen win 6-5 on aggregate)

Goals: Renato Augusto (20, 76), Kiessling (56) ; Deac (56)

Final Draw: Zenit St Petersburg

Sunday 4th May 2014 - First Division 33/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Stuttgart

2 dead rubbers remain in the league and I hand starts to youngsters Bielen, Klose and Ejiofor to aid their development. Afellay stakes his claim for a final starting berth with 2 first half goals as we start the game on fire. Despite Stuttgart pulling a goal back, Barnetta restores our 2 goal advantage with a low finish from Guarch's ball. Petrified of more injuries, I take off Afellay and Barnetta and it backfires as Marica scores twice for a Stuttgart side that finish the game stronger.

Scoreline: 3-3

Goals: Afellay (12,19), Barnetta (30) ; Crisetig (27), Marica (59, 66)

Saturday 10th May 2014 - First Division 34/34

Hannover 96 vs Bayer Leverkusen

None of my preferred 11 start the game against Hannover and it shows in a game where we are outplayed in most areas. Whilst Stindl blazes over an early penalty, the 19th minute sending off of Bielen forces me to take off the player nearest to a starting role for the EURO final, Afellay. Down to 10, we never get a foothold in the game and are comfortably beaten 3-0. Despite missing the penalty, league player of the season Stindl scores twice in an accomplished performance as our league season ends in a game to forget for the youngsters.

Goals: Stindl (34,90), Konan (77)

Wednesday 14th May 2014 - EURO Cup Final

Zenit St Petersburg (Russia) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I decide to start Afellay ahead of Sidney Sam due to his recent form but Douglas and Felipe both miss out at the back for our 2nd European final in as many seasons. This time we get off to the perfect start when Derdiyok, preferred to Kiessling up front, races onto Barnetta's through ball after we break from a defensive corner to give us the lead. It is a typical final - cagey and largely uneventful and the scoreline stays the same until the 72nd minute when an uncharateristic moment of madness from Toulalan reduces us to 10 men after a recklass challenge. I immediately instruct a more defensive feel but, as we are still re-organising, Caicedo nips in ahead of Adler to equalise and we go from favourites to underdogs in minutes. We weather the storm and the game looks set for extra time when Renato Augusto picks a wonderful through ball for Derdiyok to smash home the winner and the EURO Cup is going back to Germany.

Scoreline: 2-1. Bayer Leverkusen win the EURO Cup

Goals: Derdiyok (6, 90) ; Caicedo (74)

Manager Comments

Well we didn't make it easy for ourselves did we? Dominating and a goal up in the final and Toulalan gets a needless red card. Great character from the team to win from that position and it is a platform to take the fight to the Champions Cup next season. The league season ended in a bit of a damp squib but it was necessary to rest players with nothing to play for. It's going to be a summer of careful, fairly low level recruiting readying ourselves for a 3 competition assault next season.

Congratulations for your first continental trophy. Your team is still probably lacking a bit of consistency to overcome this improved Bayern side, or to win the Champions League trophy (altho you've gone very close to it), but when at its best your squad is capable of superb performances. 7-0 over Valencia!! :eek:

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Board Expectations

League - Title Challenge. Failed - Bayern had it sewn up with 2 games to spare, but we also had 2nd place secured at the same time. Would probably have been our best points finish barring experimental line ups in our last 2 games that yielded just a single point. Still, must do better next season.

German Cup - Reach Final. Failed - Lost in the semi final to Wolfsburg where I believe we were genuinely unluncky as we had played barely 48 hours earlier in the league amidst a hectic schedule. We had chances on the pitch as well.

Champions Cup - Reach 1st Knockout Round. Failed - Drawing AC Milan was unlucky and my very considerate board understood that we had been unlucky. It did give us a chance in the EURO Cup however, a journey that took us all the way to the final and a European win!

Leverkusen Team of the Season

Key Men

Douglas - Rediscovered his early form and was the key man at the heart of the defence. Had to be with the injury to Felipe and did me proud.

Paolo Cortez - A close run thing between him and Digne but Cortez gets the nod for ably filling the void left by Gonzalo Castro. Possibly established himself as first choice for years to come.

Sidney Sam - Weighed in with 15 goals in all competitions and really stepped up this year after being injured for some of the previous campaign. He also played more than before due to the departure of Jorgensen to Schalke.

Tranquillo Barnetta - I renewed his contract over the summer after another fantastic season by the Swiss winger. Has led the assists chart in every season so far.

Eren Derdiyok - Deserves a mention for his EURO Cup final heroics alone but was a constant goal threat every time he played. Was my preferred league striker during most of the campaign.

Others

Just missing out on the key men were Renato Augusto who finally started to fulfill his potential towards the end of the season, centre back Jens Hegeler who surprisingly won fans player of the year after scoring 7 and assisting 5 from set plays, and Lucas Digne who took over as first choice left back despite two red cards in successive games slightly tarnishing his overall season.

Manager Comments

So many good performances this season yet we failed all 3 of our original objective for the season. With the squad we are assembling however, I am really excited about next seasons prospects.

World Cup 2014

I wasn't going to bother but World Cup 2014 turned out to be an amazing tournament!! Firstly, the absentees. England drew Germany in the playoffs and after a 1-0 win in Berlin, lost 4-2 at Wembley. Russia were also beaten by Portugal in the playoffs whilst Wales and Scotland both topped their groups.

Group Stage

Wales drew with Brazil and qualified alongside South America's finest whilst Scotland topped a group that also saw Gabon qualify for the 2nd round ahead of Mexico and 4th placed Spain. Other upsets included Holland who, despite drawing with group winners Germany, lost to Peru and Australia and went out.

2nd Round

The shocks continued in the 2nd round as Brazil and Argentina both went out on penalties after goaless draws to Cameroon and Wales repectively. Wales could even afford to miss a penalty in the first half. Ivory Coast beat Italy whilst Portugal were stunned by Gabon and Scotland also qualified for the Qaurter Final after beating USA 2-1.

Quarter Final

Cameroon won the battle of Africa by seeing off Ivory Coast whilst Scotland stunned France 2-1 after extra time. Wales set up a home nations semi final by beating Croatia whilst Germany ended Gabon's fairytale campiagn.

Semi Final

Scotland dominated the Welsh for large periods but again Wales won on penalties where they will face Germany who saw off Cameroon 2-0.

Final

A single goal was enough to settle a closer than expected final as Wales wasted 3 glorious chances to pull off the greatest World Cup shock of all time but Germany won their 4th World Cup and first since 1990.

World Cup 2014

Summer 2014

Player Stats 2013-14

[b][u]Name                  Nat   Caps  Goals   Position                    Apps      Gls   Ast   MoM   Pas R   Yel   Red   Av Rat[/u]
[/b]René Adler            GER   9     0       GK                          45        0     0     3     76%     0     0     7.19     
Bernd Leno            GER   0     0       GK                          11        0     0     0     74%     0     0     6.90    
[url="http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/jtabord/GuillaumeHubertProfile_Attributes-2.png"]Guillaume Hubert[/url]      BEL   0     0       GK                                                                                   

We have always been a bit short of keepers but the form and lack of injury to Adler has meant it has never been a problem. The signing of Hubert is handy for backup and he has potential to be useful. Youth product Sanger continues to impress in the under 19s under Adler's guidance.

[u][b]Name                  Nat   Caps  Goals   Position                    Apps      Gls   Ast   MoM   Pas R   Yel   Red   Av Rat
[/b][/u]
Felipe                BRA   0     0       SW, D (LC)                  20 (2)    3     0     0     76%     2     0     7.11     
Danny da Costa        GER   0     0       D (RC)                                                                               
Paolo Cortéz          ESP   0     0       D (RLC)                     24        0     1     0     77%     5     0     7.11     
Johannes Geis         GER   0     0       D (RC), WB (R), DM, M (C)   2 (5)     0     1     0     83%     1     0     6.90  
Domagoj Vida          CRO   23    0       D (RC), DM, M (C)           18 (7)    1     0     1     70%     4     0     6.90    
Thanos Petsos         GRE   33    0       D (RLC), DM, M (C)          27 (5)    0     2     0     75%     7     1     6.95   
[url="http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/jtabord/CristianChivuProfile_Attributes.png"]Cristian Chivu[/url]        ROU   95    3       D (LC), WB (L)                                                                     
Eliaquim Mangala      FRA   0     0       D (LC), DM, M (C)                                                               
[url="http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/jtabord/ChrisSmallingProfile_Attributes-2.png"]Chris Smalling[/url]        ENG   0     0       D (C)                                                                                
Douglas               BRA   0     0       D (C)                       43        6     0     2     73%     5     0     7.25
Cees Bielen           BEL   0     0       D (C)                       4         0     0     0     73%     1     1     6.90
Jens Hegeler          GER   0     0       D (C), DM, M (C)            31 (2)    7     5     1     68%     1     0     7.25
Lucas Digne           FRA   0     0       D/WB (L)                    21 (2)    0     3     1     80%     3     2     7.15  
Sébastien Pocognoli   BEL   29    0       D/WB/M (L)                  22 (3)    1     3     0     79%     2     0     6.98     

At times last season we looked a bit stretched in defence particularly with injuries to Douglas and Felipe. Da Costa and Mangala returned from loans and the addition of Smalling on a free has really bolstered our strength in depth and may force me to think of moving a couple of players on. The emergence of Cortez and Digne was a huge positive from last season and means I don't have to go out and spend big in the full back areas. Chivu was brought in to help tutor the youngsters whilst I hope he can still offer something to the first team.

[u][b]Name                  Nat   Caps  Goals   Position                    Apps      Gls   Ast   MoM   Pas R   Yel   Red   Av Rat
[/b][/u]
Simon Rolfes          GER   21    1       DM, M (C)                   24 (7)    2     2     0     85%     2     0     7.00
Jérémy Toulalan       FRA   40    0       DM, M (C)                   22 (6)    2     3     1     86%     3     1     7.02 
Lars Bender           GER   0     0       DM, M (C)                   27 (7)    3     3     2     81%     0     0     7.12   
Daniel Kofi Agyei     GHA   0     0       DM, M (C)                   18 (3)    0     1     0     89%     3     0     7.10  
Adrien                POR   16    0       DM, M (C)                   19 (11)   1     4     0     82%     2     0     6.89    
Gökhan Klose          GER   0     0       DM, M/AM (LC)               3 (1)     0     0     0     85%     0     0     6.78     
Antonio Panza         ITA   0     0       DM, M/AM (LC)               2 (1)     0     1     0     93%     0     0     7.10    
Sidney Sam            GER   0     0       M (R), AM (RLC), ST         28 (9)    15    8     4     70%     4     0     7.42  
André Schürrle        GER   0     0       M (L), AM (RL), ST          26 (6)    4     7     2     79%     1     0     7.17    
Julio                 ESP   0     0       M (C)                       0 (3)     0     0     0     0%      0     0     6.85     
Renato Augusto        BRA   23    4       M/AM (RLC)                  25 (10)   10    8     3     80%     2     0     7.19 
Ibrahim Afellay       NED   47    4       M/AM (RLC)                  27 (12)   6     7     1     75%     1     0     7.04    
Tranquillo Barnetta   SUI   89    13      M/AM (RL)                   33 (7)    10    18    2     72%     0     0     7.33   
Uche Ejiofor          GER   0     0       M/AM (RLC)                  4 (5)     0     3     0     78%     0     0     6.79    
[url="http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/jtabord/EduardoSalvioProfile_Attributes.png"]Eduardo Salvio[/url]        ARG   1     0       M/AM (R), ST                                                                         

I am really happy with the depth in midfield, particularly the middle of the park there is little to separate 5 players. Adrien has been the only real disappointment as he hasn't lived up to the £12.75 Million price tag. 11 midfield players (including the sold Jorgensen) had more than 10 competitive starts last year highlighting my comfort in rotation. Only Salvio needed to be brought in to replace Jorgensen and give me 2 strong options on either flank. He will compete with Sam for the AMR slot.

[/b][/u]
Stefan Kießling       GER   6     0       ST                          23 (11)   16    9     6     75%     3     0     7.23     
Taufic Guarch         MEX   30    13      ST                          19 (11)   10    4     1     82%     0     0     7.03    
Eren Derdiyok         SUI   61    31      ST                          22 (5)    17    3     6     76%     2     0     7.32     
[url="http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/jtabord/AlexeyIgnatovProfile_Attributes-3.png"]Alexey Ignatov[/url]        RUS   4     2       ST                                                                                   

Another solid season for the strikers as I had the luxury of being able to rotate Kiessling, Derdiyok and Guarch without sacrificing on quality. My 1 upfront system doesn't help my guys breaking records but does keep them fit for crucial games. The addition of Alexey Ignatov adds another dimension in raw pace from the bench and I am hoping we can exploit that to our advantage in the right situation.

Transfers

Cees Bielen - Liverpool £2.1M. With the depth in defence I decide to make a handy profit on Bielen with a good sell on clause on place.

Antonio Panza - Arsenal £2.3M. Panza is a similar situation to Bielen and I also rate Klose as a better prospect in the same positions. With midfield bursting at the seams at the club, another handy profit is made.

Danny Da Costa - Betis £250k Season long loan. I still think he has a future at the club so I negotiate Betis' future fee option out and agree to a season long loan with the promise of La Liga action.

Eliaquim Mangala - Stuttgart £400k Season long loan. I'm not convinced he has a future at the club so with Mangala the future fee isn't negotiated out this time

Total Income - £5M

Youth Intake

A really disappointing youth intake this year and I am doubtful that any of the players will be good enough for Leverkusen. Here's the best of a bad bunch so to speak and 3 players I signed for the future.

Thomas Muller - 15 year old DM/D/MC - If he can be as good as his namesake I'll be happy!

Christos Lliolis - £350k PAOK. Pacey left winger picked up for a bargain £350k. Coaches think he could be as good as Barnetta!

Gokhan Demirhan - £1.5M Marseille. Left back I have signed from Marseille. The French club picked him up from Bayern Munich but has still yet to make a senior appearance at 18 years old.

Bogdan Dinca - £1.8M Zaragoza. Romanaian right winger snapped up from Zaragoza just ahead of some of the big names. Another that will benefit from the experienced players at the club.

Total Expenditure: £10.25M

Transfer Summary

Despite spending double what came in, I'm really happy with how much we have strengthened the squad with some real quality brought in at largely bargain prices.

Board Expectations and Transfer Budgets

Title Challenge, 1st knockout round of Champions Cup, Final of German Cup, Learn from European Super Cup experience.

Transfer Budget: £15.75M

Wage Budget: £775k per week

I decided to alter my wage budget up to £850k per week as we have had various high profile renewals recently in addition to the players I have signed. This brought the transfer budget down to £9.5 Million but with Ignatov already funded from January, I haven't found the need to spend it as yet and I am happy to give the squad a crack at all 3 competitions and see if we need re-inforcements come January.

Review of Personal Objectives

Make Leverkusen into the team to beat in Germany - 4 seasons in and it's 2 titles apiece for Leverkusen and Bayern Munich. Without a title in 2 years, this needs rectifying in 2014/15.

Avenge the 2002 'Treble Horror' - 2 seasons in a row we have reached finals of European competitions and the semi final and final of the German Cup at the same time. Next season, I have my best chance yet to win the treble.

Develop the stature of the club - Winning the EURO Cup made up for not qualifying for the Champions League on the pitch, although the finances did take a hit that was rectified by the sales of Jorgensen and Kadlec. We are now officially the 2nd best team in Germany, having risen to 19th in the Co-efficients and overtaking Wolfsburg in the process.

New objective

2014/15 League Title - A specific objective for this season is to win the league. Mancini has left Bayern for Barcelona and I am hoping to capitalise on that and also the opening of the Ramelow Arena next year gives us added incentive as we want to open the stadium as Bundesliga Champions.

I like the code thing for player stats, may steal the idea for my career thread. Just a tip: took me a while to figure out who were your signings as you mixed it up with last season's stats, may not be the clearest way to present it.

From them my fav player is Smalling, a truly great deal to get him on a free. Ignatov has superb pace but at the very top level I think the lack of mental stats will hinder him - good thing then he's still 19 y.o. and mental stats greatly develop from here onwards.

I wouldn't play Chivu at that age, too slow for a left-back.

August 2014

Saturday August 16th 2014 - German Cup First Round

Lippstadt vs Bayer Leverkusen

I hand a debut to academy prospect Henning in an experimental line up against lower league Lippstadt. We dominate the early exchanges but are wasteful. In a mad few minutes before half time, we take the lead after Douglas connects with Sam's corner before the hosts are reduced to 10 men after Kiessling is the victim of a professional foul. Then, Mangala is caught dwelling on the ball and Lippstadt are level at half time. Sam restores our advantage just after half time and I make 3 changes to keep people match fit. One of the subs, Ejiofor scores a fine strike after a couple of stepovers before a late own goal makes it 4.

Scoreline: 1-4

Goals: Hess (45+2) ; Douglas (43), Sam (47), Ejiofor (66), Herl og (85)

Saturday 23rd August 2014 - First Division 1/34

Not the easiest first game of the campaign but we lie down a marker as we look to improve our away form over a season to wrestle the league title back from Bayern. We dominate the early exchanges before Freiburg come back into the game and half time comes at the right time. 0-0. I send on Bender for Rolfes and 2 minutes after the restart we lead as Renato Augusto curls home from 25 yards. With their only attack of the 2nd half, we switch off at a corner and infuriatingly it's 1-1. We attack for the winner and are rewarded with 2 minutes to play as Schurrle's through ball is taken round the keeper by Bender to win us the game.

Scoreline: 1-2

Goals: Milevskyi (63) ; Renato Augusto (47), Bender (89)

League Position: 4th

Friday 29th August 2015 - Super Cup (Stade Louis II, Monaco)

Manchester United (England) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Despite our height advantage it is United that lead from a corner. The signs are ominous before half an hour when Rooney doubles the lead but we survive until half time without further damage. I demand to see more from the players and within a minute the deficit is halved when Derdiyok has the vision to roll the ball across goal for Barnetta after a counter attack. Bender hits the bar from 25 yards as we pile on the pressure in search of an equaliser. With 20 minutes left I make my remaining subs and change to 4-2-4. We lose Agyei almost immediately to injury and I have to play Sam in an unconventional central midfield role and play with no right winger. Against all odds, we get a chance to level as Guarch finds himself through on goal and smashes it home to take the game to extra time. There's no way we can defend and settle for penalties with 1 central midfield player, 2 wingers and 2 strikers on the pitch and my boldness is rewarded when Bender heads in a corner. An unbelievable turnaround gets better on 99 minutes when Guarch's perfect through ball sets Kiessling away and its 4-2! Disaster strikes on the stroke of half time when Bender goes off and I am left with wingers Sam and Schurrle in central midfield and Kiessling and Guarch up front. When Rooney makes it 4-3 with his 2nd there is still 9 minutes left but we show immense character to pull off an amazing victory in probably the best Super Cup game of all time.

Scoreline: 4-3 (after extra time)

Goals: Barnetta (46), Guarch (90+1), Bender (92), Kiessling (99) ; Dann (12), Rooney (26, 111)

Manager Comments

The Super Cup win completely stole the limelight as we added another piece of silverware to the trophy cabinet and I am absolutely ecstatic. Guarch is really attracting interest now and I rejected a £14 million bid from Manchester United for his services. We have leaked a few goals however, so tightening up at the back will be a priority. I'm going to be carrying on this save as FM12 isn't on the horizon for me and this game is providing a good story so far!

September 2015

Wednesday 3rd September 2014 - First Division 2/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs 1860 Munich

Home to one of the promoted teams allows me to hand a debut to Ignatov and rest a few players that played 120 minutes on Friday. Despite dominating the first half, it is only on the stroke of half time when Schurrle meets Barnetta's low ball. Into the 2nd half and Schurrle returns the favour before Ignatov seals an emphatic win with a debut strike.

Goals: Schurrle (45), Barnetta (51), Ignatov (73)

Saturday 13th September 2014 - First Division 3/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Kaiserslautern

It's a hugely frustrating game as we again concede from a corner and generally look susceptible at the back in my new 4-2-4 formation. Ignatov equalises and we dominate overall but aren't good enough to find a winner.

Goals: Ignatov (25) ; Micanski (11)

Wednesday 17th September 2014 - Champions Cup Group E 1/6

Ajax Amsterdam (Holland) vs Bayer Leverkusen

We get off to the perfect start as Barnetta follows up Kiessling's shot to put us 1 up. The game is too open for my liking and we are still looking dodgy defending set plays. We survive several near misses and, whilst we also have chances, Ajax get a deserved equaliser when Honda's shot gets a deflection off Douglas on the way in. Barcelona are held by Maccabi Haifa in the other game.

Goals: Barnetta (7) ; Honda (56)

Saturday 20th September 2014 - First Division 4/34

Borussia Dortmund vs Bayer Leverkusen

We pass the first big test of the season and whilst the result sounds convincing - a 3-1 win with the only defensive breach an injury time consolation - again the performance isn't great. We are incisive up front and have Schurrle to thank who scores twice between a Renato Augusto header but Dortmund have plenty of chances to get something from the game. At least it makes up for the Kaiserslautern draw.

Goals: Juhasz (90+2) ; Schurrle (21, 47), Renato Augusto (45+1)

League Position: 1st

Tuesday 23rd September 2014 - First Division 5/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Monchengladbach

I am much more happy as a confident perfomance sees us thrash Gladbach 5-0. Sidney Sam plays brilliantly as he scores twice and sets a goal up. I can afford to rest Renato Augusto early in the 2nd half whilst Kiessling also bags a brace with 2 fine finishes.

Goals: Barnetta (1), Kiessling (8, 39), Sam (67, 87)

Saturday 27th September 2014 - First Division 6/34

Wolfsburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

Another win and another clean sheet underlies our intentions put a credible challenge for the league title again. There is a bit of luck as Wolfsburg miss 2 clear cut chances before a half time rollicking has the desired effect as Bender scores the only goal with a 25 yard thunderbolt.

Goals: Bender (59)

Tuesday 30th September 2014 - Champions Cup Group E 2/6

Bayer Leverkusen vs Barcelona (Spain)

It is a tough start to the group following on from Ajax away and it gets tougher as Messi puts Barcelona into a half time lead. With 15 minutes to go, and no change to the score, I go 4-2-4 and it works wonders as Digne equalises within 5 minutes. I decide to go for it as Messi and Pedro have gone off and the boldness is rewarded as Derdiyok's through ball is slotted home by Barnetta. We've even time to grab a third as Barcelona push everyone up Kiessling reacts first to Derdiyok's shot and it's a flattering result. I'm not complaining though as I get one over Mancini who won the league for Bayern in both his full seasons in charge at the club.

Goals: Digne (79), Barnetta (89), Kiessling (90+2) ; Messi (29)

Manager Comments

5 wins and 2 draws from 7 games is almost the ideal month as we took control of the league and our Champions Cup group. I also hold a very handy 7 point advantage over Bayern Munich, who I still think will be my closest challenger for the league.

League Table

Champions Cup Group E

October 2014

Saturday 4th October 2014 - First Division 7/34

Without a midweek game next week, I only make a couple of changes and an almost full strength side earns a solid victory. Douglas gives us the lead with a header in the first half and we are looking comfortable when Afellay's through ball is finished emphatically by winger Schurrle. A minute later, Hoffenheim are back in it when Destro exchanges passes with Ibisevic and curls into the top corner. Rolfes puts the game out of reach with a 30 yarder with his left peg in stoppage time. Ibisevic wastes a good chance in either half for the visitors which could have changed the game but on overall play we are deserving victors.

Goals: Douglas (18), Schurrle (54), Rolfes (90) ; Destro (56)

Saturday 18th October 2014 - First Division 8/34

Many players come back tired from international duty but using the depth in the squad, we still control the first half and deservedly lead through Renato Augusto. The 2nd half continues in the same vein and we are comfortbale thanks to Schurrle's 2nd half strike. Bender is then sent off for a 2nd bookable but Frankfurt still don't look like scoring and we continue the impressive run.

Goals: Renato Augusto (44), Schurrle (56)

Tuesday 21st October 2014 - Champions Cup Group E 3/6

Bayer Leverkusen vs Maccabi Haifa

Derdiyok hasn't scored in 4 appearances but has laid on 5 goals and he dispells his lean patch in front of goal with a well taken hattrick inside half an hour. Twice in 1 on 1 situations and lastly from the spot, I then withdraw the Swiss forward as he has taken a knock in the process. The rest of the game is uneventful as we take 7 points from the first 3 group games.

Goals: DerdiyoK (21, 25, pen 33) ; Hachmon (71)

Group Position: 2nd

Saturday 25th October 2014 - First Division 9/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Mainz 05

Both Guarch and Afellay take their chance to shine as we romp to a 5-0 win over high flying Mainz. The visitors amazingly have more shots in the game but we are more incisive and clinical as our form looks invincible.

Goals: Guarch (10, 51), Afellay (13, 61), Ignatov (68)

Tuesday 28th October 2014 - German Cup 2nd Round

Despite making 7 changes, we completely dominate the opening proceedings and should be ahead by more than 1 goal at half time, as we have 10 shots to Frankfurt's 0. In a rare 2nd half attack Toulalan fouls in the area and its level. Into extra time we push for a winner but have to rely on the lottery of penalties to secure a deserved victory.

Scoreline: 1-1 (Bayer Leverkusen win 4-3 on penalties)

Goals: Kohler (pen 73) ; Kiessling (45)

3rd Round Draw: Mainz 05 (a)

Manager Comments

Just the 5 games this month due to International games but 5 wins were achieved. The entire squad is looking strong and whoever I pick seems to ably step up to the plate and do a great job, typified by the 5-0 thrashing of Mainz.

League Table

Champions Cup Group E

Archived