4-1-2-1-2 Disucssion/Idea's thread

Yes the Diamond, Anyone else playing with it?

I'm my continued search for football which suites my own eyes, as well the players at my disposal this is the formation which i've come to play with at present.

It's only been 5 or 6 games but so far the results and the play looking promising. It's working especially well at countering the very aggressive OI's the AI is using against me and it's also given me nicely balanced wide play with fullbacks providing all the width i need.

I've created this thread to discuss this formation with and very much share idea's on how it can be worked to devastating effect.

I'm not providing a huge OP as i want to very much compare and contrast my idea's with everyone elses.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing a Balanced/Standard diamond with Osasuna. This works well with a short passing and pressing game vs similar or weaker opponents but I have to revert to Rigid/Defensive vs anyone half decent, with more cautious tackling as we get pulled out of position all too easily.

I'm not having any joy with OI settings, apart from going man to man marking when the opponent has an AMC & 2x MC's up against my DMC & MC's. Opponent Inside forwards/wingers I normally stand off as going tight on them with my poor fullbacks is suicide.

Try going to a counter strategy against stronger opponents and hit them on the break. I've found this very affective all be it with a bigger club.

I've moved away from short passing and left it on default. If i have any issues with silly or risky passes i'll either change the players duty from support to defend for example or if it's a time wide issue i'll use shouts to combat it.

Another shout you could use is "stay on your feet" this will stop your players over committing to tackles.

If your really not expecting to win the game then you could go for a defensive approach, with "stand off opponents", "stay on feet" "play narrower". and periodically if you fancy going for a goal use the shouts "get the ball forward" and "pass into space" this should allow u to keep a bulk of players behind the ball without over committing on a counter attack, whilst getting the ball forward directly and getting it in behind the opposition which can work well if you have a quick forward who drifts out into the channels when the opposition is attacking into the space the fullback vacates.

I use this and have tried to make a 'diablo' style attack. I have the player in the hole set to inside forward Attack and the two strikers set as advanced forwards (hug touchline). the two cm's are a box to box and an advanced playmaker both on support with an anchor man covering for the wingbacks runs. I use zonal marking, short passing (except when its wet) and a balanced mentality.

I use this, With Man utd in 2027/28. Used it for the last 10 seasons since switching from a 4-2-3-1.

Short passes, low time wasting, high defensive line and closing down. Medium tempo. Use an attacking / fluid strategy. I ahve a basic flat back 4, a defensive midfielder, 1 x centre mid support, 1 x centre mid attack with an advanced playmaker infront of them. Poacher and complete forward up top.

Find im getting the best out of the team now i ahve the AMC dropping deeper (lowering mentality) to get onvolved and since i told the strikers to roam, as i play very narrow, it makes them push wider, allowing space for the congested centre mid to push forward.

Usually find that goals come from all over now, with the strikers usually getting 20-30+ each and the sub striker getting 10+. the AMC and attacking centre mid usually get 15-20 per season too.

Play ususally gets knocked around the DC, FB, DMC and then played forward safely. No long balls or risky passes until it hits my AMC who usually dribbles across the 18 yard line and shoots, runs into the box or passes toa striker to tap in.

The narrow diamond is my preferred formation since FM went 3D.

I use a rigid formation and usually start attacking. Direct passing and more expressive creativity. The rest I usually leave at default. The roles change depending on what players I got but their duty stay the same.

DRL: Two automatic full backs. (if you got Lahm or Maicon you may consider setting him on attacking wing back)

DC: Two defending defenders ;-) Roles are adapted based on the selected players.

DMC: Anchorman defend or deep play maker support.

MC1: Deep playmaker support if using anchorman. If play maker is DMC this is a defending ball winner.

MC2: Support. Box to box or regular midfielder usually

AMC: always attacking. Any role work out. But set wide play to "move into channels"

Strikers: one attacking and one supporting. Role will be set to whatever fits the players.

This formation sometimes get stuck in the center. In this case I will put the supporting striker and the AMC as supporting AMR/AML usually as inside forwards.

Archived