FM11 - How To Set Up Back 4

I think simplicity is the best way. I play a flat back 4, full backs on automatic duty, centre backs on defend.

I have a DM sat in front of them as a DLP on defend. 2 MCs, one as an AP on attack, the other is BtB.

My tactics are done through the TC, and I have short passing, fluid philosophy, zonal marking, and different strategies depending on opponents and game situation, but usually start on attacking or control.

I tend to outscore every team in the league and concede the least goals, so think my defence is just as important as my attack. Last season I conceded 14 goals in the 38 league games.

I always use four at the back, but use a variety of other options and shapes ahead of the defence. I've used the same sort of back four roles and settings for FM10 and FM11.

Full Back "Automatic", though change to "Defend" when I feel it's required during matches.

Central Defender "Cover"

Limited Defender "Stopper"

Most important of all, I look for players who have attributes to suit those positions and roles, almost to perfection.

The best results I had in this game was playing a 442 (424) AML/R's with Spurs. I figured I had enough men getting forwards so I simply set my DL/R to fullbacks defence. They got forward just enough to receive backpasses when we were under pressure, but nowhere near to far forward to get caught on the break.

Go with DL/R's that have good jumping and heading skills and you wil be amazed at how many they make ingame and how many 'interceptions' they receive because of it.

Dont get caught in the "I have to have wingbacks to do well"...... you really really dont.

oh... my DC's were just the standard entry. It works well with Spurs as they have good DL/R's.

In my third season I conceded something silly like 14 goals and when I looked back it was a crazy 8 from corners and 3 from setpeices or something ridiculous. So, yes, I really did only concede a few from open play....... they were that good!

LAM

I use mine similarly. They're only 2 notches of mentality higher than my CBs (same as my deeper CM) but they can make forward runs (mixed). So they act as a possession orientated passing outlet, and then look to run when there's space, before looking to retain possession once again.

Worth bearing in mind that lots of FBs like to "Run with Ball Often" so drop their RWB slider to Rarely to effectively get Mixed.

I follow a couple of simple rules myself.

1. I generally have at most one attacking fullback (or wingback). Two defenders isn't enough, but three should be enough to cope with most counter attacks.

2. I always stagger my central defenders. I use a cover+defend partnership if there's a DM ahead of them and a stopper+defend partnership if there isn't. I never use stopper+cover partnership as I don't like that they behave so differently to each other. They seem a bit disjointed sometimes.

2. I always stagger my central defenders. I use a cover+defend partnership if there's a DM ahead of them and a stopper+defend partnership if there isn't. I never use stopper+cover partnership as I don't like that they behave so differently to each other. They seem a bit disjointed sometimes.

That sounds good. Can I ask what marking setting do you generally use for your central defenders?

Personally I found that if you don't use a dmc, like me, it's vital to have a stopper to put some pressure on your opponent deep lying forward or trequartista, then I set my other centre back to cover him, of course this one should have pace and acceleration.

For my fullbacks, playing with a 4-3-1-2 at the moment, I like to have them both on support, usually a fullback and a wingback.

If you're playing with a dmc you could try different settings.

Archived