Training - Attribute modeling

I am finding with fm11 (only getting into it now, was working :)) that the training is much different than before. I am not sure if I am seeing this correctly but it seems that players attributes are not fixed like they used to be.

i.e. if you look at a player using genie scout and his CA is 100 and his PA is 180 and his current dribbling attribute is 10 and his potential dribbling attribute is 15. After a few seasons it is possible for him to get a dribbling attribute of 16 - 17 (at the expense of another attribute in the potential attributes from a few seasons before).

So in conclusion, previously you had to get a player to (or near) his PA before you could remodel his attributes, whereas in this one it appears that the game is constantly remodelling the player attributes and their end potential attributes.

The knock on effect seems to be players become perfectly suited to whatever tactic you use most. So if I had a tactic that I used all the time that had a fullback on no tight marking and high closing down (on general training) then his marking attributes would fall while his tackling attributes would most likely increase.

Am I correct in this? Not 100% sure but thats what I am seeing after 3 seasons. If its correct than I am going to buy a high potential CB and put him on high closing down and tight marking, eventually I will have a non-injury prone Ledley King :)

I actually loaded up an old save back from start of game and can see some interesting things has to be said. To large degree what I said above is wrong. I am taking Vedran Corluka as an example:

At the start of the game he had the potential to better (than his potential 3 years later) at:

Heading

Bravery

Long Shots

After 3 years he had the potential to better (than potential at the start) at:

Penalty taking

Creativity

Off the ball

Acceleration

Agility

Balance

Pace

Stamina

Strength

All those changes are by one point except for acceleration which is two. I brought in new coaches and updated my training facilities in the mean time so I presume this explains the difference in potential attributes.

Genie scout potential attributes are only an estimate of what might occur with sort of generalized position training and experience (hidden atts.)

And yes, remodeling can occur at any time, but I think its always been this way. If you remove defensive training from a striker, it'll go down!

I didn't think that tactics you employ have much (if any) effect on which atts. are developed, but I could be wrong. But certainly you can tailor training to mitigate anything but a lack of match experience.

Players do seem to have a natural preference for (or disposition to) certain formations, I might be imagining it (I certainly haven't extensively tested this) but if you buy 2 midfielders to rotate in the DMC position, if one had been playing DMC for his previous club he'll seem to settle quicker in the formation than if the other one had been playing in the MC position. It might just be that the players I've seen settle well have high hidden stats that mean they adapt quickly but I've also noted this in players who are settled at the club. I had a CB/RB in FM09 who had excellent stats in both positions but would struggle to change to the RB role after 20-odd games at CB, after playing RB for a game or so he would adapt and his ratings would go back up - I would think this positional preference would generalise to the other tactical instructions in the game but, it might be an illusion caused by the complex interaction of stats and tactical instructions.

Archived