Ferencvárosi TC - Bring the glory back to Hungary!

Quads

425pxferencvaros.png

Ferencvárosi TC, simply known as Ferencváros, nicknamed Fradi (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈfrɒdi]) , is a sport club in Hungary, founded in 1899 by Ferenc Springer and a group of local residents of Budapest's ninth district, Ferencváros. Ferencváros is best known for winning the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1964-65 (now Europa League) in 1965 by beating Juventus F.C. in the final.

The best-known part of the club is the well-supported men's football team – the most popular team in the country[1]. Other divisions include the women's football, women's handball, men's futsal, men's ice hockey, men's handball, men's water polo, cycling, gymnastics, athletics, wrestling, curling and swimming teams, some of which are highly successful.

The club colours are green and white, and the club mascot is a green eagle; hence another of the club's nicknames, 'The Green Eagles'.

-----

History

Early years (1899–1920)

On 3 May 1899 Ferencvárosi TC were founded by young and old citizens of the ninth district of Budapest. Ferenc Springer, a lawyer from the same district, was nominated as the first chairman of the club. The budget of the club was assured by the ball which was organised in order to celebrate the establishment of the club. The club's first pitch was built on the Soroksári avenue in the ninth district. On 3 December 1900, the football department was founded officially. Two months later in February the first match of the Hungarian National Championship I was played between Ferencváros and Budapesti Torna Club. Since the match was not announced at the Hungarian Football Federation, it is not considered as the first official match of the club. Two months later on 21 April 1900, the team played their first official match against Műegyetem. Ferencváros lost their first match 5–3. The first goal of the club was scored by Gáspár Borbás. The first point in the championship was gained against Műegyetem with a draw. The first victory came on 16 June 1901, when Ferencváros beat Budapesti Sport Club 5–1. It is interesting that Ferencváros played their first official match on international turf against the Vienna Cricket and Football Club and lost by 9–0. The first victory on international turf came against the Vienna Cricket and Football Club by 5–0. This was the first time that the team wore the green-white striped badge which is now the emblem of the club. In 1902 Ferencváros lost to Oxford United F.C. 16–0, which the biggest defeat ever in the club's history. In 1903 the club won their first Hungarian National Championship I title. In 1905 the club won their second championship title. All in all, the club won five championship titles in the 1900s. On 12 February 1911, the club's current stadium was inaugurated. The first goal in the new stadium was scored by Imre Schlosser. In 1912 Ferencváros could win against Woking F.C. for the first time in England. In the same year Ferencváros beat III. Kerületi TVE by 11–3 (Imre Schlosser scored 8 goals which is still a clun record in one match) and became champion for the seventh time. The year 1914 (the beginning of the First World War) is considered as the saddest year in the club history when many players from the club were enlisted and many of them never returned.

1920s

The 1920s was not a successful period for the club, since MTK Hungária FC won the Hungarian National Championship I for ten times. In the 1924–25 season Ferencváros lost 14–2 to MTK Hungária FC which is still the biggest defeat in the championship. In 1926 Ferencváros could beat their rival and became champion again after 13 years. In 1926 the professional championship was formed and the team's first professional football player was Horváth II. The first professional championship was won by Ferencváros in 1927. Ferencváros became the first team whose traing was played in a movie in Budapest. In 1928 Ferencváros could win again the national championship and also the Hungarian Cup. In the same year Ferencváros won the Mitropa Cup 1928 by beating SK Rapid Wien 10–6 on aggregate in the finals. This was the first trophy won on international turf. Ferencváros participated in an South American tour where the team beat surprisingly the two-time Olympic Games champion Uruguay by 3–2.

1930–1950

In the 1930s Ferencváros won the Hungarian National Championship I four times (1931–32, 1933–34, 1931937-38, and 1939–40). In the 1931–32 season the team could win 22 matches out of 22, which is still a record in the Hungarian National Championship I. During this season the team could score their 400th goal in the championship. According to the French magazine, L'Auto, Ferencváros was the seventh best team in Europe in 1933. In 1937 Ferencváros won the Mitropa Cup by beating SS Lazio 4–2 in the final in Budapest. Furthermore, The team could won the Hungarian Cup twice in 1933 and in 1935. In the 1940s Ferencváros could celebrate two Hungarian National Championship I title in 1940–41 and in 1948–49. In the 1940–41 season the team could score more than hundred goals. In the 1940s Ferencváros were the first team who flew to the United States. On 31 October 1948, Ferencváros played their 1000th match in the Hungarian National Championship I. In the 1948–49 season the team could celebrate their 50th anniversary with a gold medal. During this season the team were able to score 140 goals in 30 matches (Ferenc Deák scored 59 goals). The team could win the Hungarian Cup three times in 1942, in 1943, and in 1944. In the 1950s Ferencváros could not win a championship title only a Hungarian Cup title in 1958. In 1951 the team changed their name into Kinizsi.

The Golden era (1960s)

During this period Ferencváros could win the Hungarian National Championship I four times (1963, 1964, 1967, and 1968).

On European turf Ferencváros played three finals one in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1964-65 against Juventus F.C., on in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1967-68 against Leeds United A.F.C. and one in the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1974-75 against Dinamo Kiev. Although Ferencváros could win only the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1964-65, they are the only Hungarian team who could win a European trophy.

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Trophy

Ferencváros could win the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1964-65 (now Europa League). Ferencváros beat Spartak Brno by 2–1 on aggregate, Wiener Sport-Club by 2–2 on aggregate, AS Roma by 3–1 on aggregate, Athletic Bilbao by 2–2 on aggregate, Manchester United F.C. by 3–3 on aggregate, Juventus F.C. by 1–0 in the final. The team included István Géczi, Dezső Novák, Sándor Mátrai, László Horváth, István Juhász, Pál Orosz, János Karába, Zoltán Varga, Flórián Albert, Gyula Rákosi, Máté Fenyvesi. The coach of the was József Mészáros. The 1965 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup Final was played in Turin at the Stadio Comunale di Torino in front of the home crowd of the Juventus F.C. (40,000 spectators). The only goal of the match came in the 74th minute when Máté Fenyvesi scored the goal. On 23 June 1965 Ferencváros became the champion of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

Ferencváros could reach the quarter-final of the 1965-66 European Cup season. Ferencváros beat Keflavík Football Club by 13–2 on aggregate, Panathinaikos F.C. by 3–1 on aggregate, and lost to Internazionale Milano F.C. by 1–5 on aggregate.

Flórián Albert was named European Footballer of the Year in 1967. He has been the most successful player of the Ferencváros since the formation of the club. He scored 255 goals in 351 matches from 1958–74.

In the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1967-68 season Ferencváros beat FC Argeş Piteşti by 5–3 on aggregate, Real Zaragoza by 4–2 on aggregate, Liverpool F.C. by 2–0 on aggregate, Athletic Bilbao by 4–2 on aggregate, Bologna F.C. 1909 by 5–4. In the first final Ferencváros lost to Leeds United A.F.C. 1–0 on Elland Road and in the second match in the Népstadion (now Puskás Ferenc Stadium) the result was 0–0 in front of 76,000 spectators, therefore Ferencváros could not celebrate their second title in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

1970s

In the 1970s Ferencváros could win the Hungarian National Championship I only once in 1976, but they were more successful in the Hungarian Cup which they won four times (1972, 1974, 1976, and 1978). Ferencváros could reach the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup 1971-72 season. Ferencváros beat Fenerbahçe S.K. by 4–2 on aggregate, Panionios NFC, Eintracht Braunschweig by 6–3, FK Željezničar Sarajevo by 3–3, and lost to Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. in the semi-finals by 3–4. On 17 March 1974 the legendary and iconic Flórián Albert pleyed his last match and obviously said adieu with a goal. In the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1974-75 season Ferencváros beat Cardiff City F.C. by 6–1 on aggregate, Liverpool F.C. by 1–1 on aggregate, Malmö FF by 4–2 on aggregate, FK Crvena Zvezda by 4–3 on aggregate, but lost to Dinamo Kiev by 3–0 in the final.

1980s and 1990s

In the 1980s Ferencváros could won the championship only once in the 1980–81 season. Tibor Nyilasi was awarded Silver Shoes by scoring 30 goals in one season. During the management of Tibor Nyilasi Ferencváros won the Hungarian National Championship I in 1992. Ferencváros also won the Hungarian Cup three times. During the management of the two Olympic Games gold medalist, and Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1964-65 trophy winner Dezső Novák Ferencváros won the Hungarian National Championship I twice in 1995 and in 1996. Novák's team were also successful on international level. Ferencváros were the first Hungarian team to qualify for the UEFA Champions League group phase in 1995 by beating Anderlecht in the qualifying matches. Ferencváros beat Grasshoppers on away ground and held Grasshoppers and Real Madrid to a draw at home, but were eliminated in the group stage. They also conceded 19 goals during the 6 group phase games which is still a tied negative record in Champions League as of 2010. Ferencváros were runner up in the Hungarian National Championship I during the second management of Tibor Nyilasi.

Ups and downs (2000s)

In 2003 Ferencváros entered the Budapest Stock Exchange as the first Hungarian club which take a step to become a public limited company. Ferencváros were eliminated form the UEFA Champions League 2004-05 by Sparta Prague and therefore they could console themselves in the UEFA Cup. Ferencváros could reach the group stages of the UEFA Cup 2004-05. Ferencváros beat Millwall F.C. by 4–2 on aggregate. In the group stage they could beat Hearts of Midlothian by 1–0 , drew against Feyenoord Rotterdam, and lost to FC Basel and Schalke 04. In 2004 Ferencváros launched a wide-ranging anti-racism campaign in order to get rid of intolerance and discrimination in football[10]. In 2004-05 season Ferencváros finished second and therefore qualified for the UEFA Cup .

Ferencváros entered the 2005-06 UEFA Cup season and lost against the Belarus FC Partizan Minsk. In the first leg Ferencváros lost 2-0, while they won away 2-1, but on 3-2 aggregate they were eliminated from the UEFA Cup.

In July 2006, the club was removed from the national first division as punishment for continued financial troubles. The club has recently challenged the legality of this move in court. Ferencváros has won the case as the verdict declared that the FA's move was against the law. An out-of-court agreement between the club and the Hungarian Football Federation has been reached. In the season 2006/07, Nyíregyháza beat Ferencváros to promotion in a tight contest, ensuring that Ferencváros stayed in the second division. Despite investments in players, including former Ferencváros stars, the season 2007/08 brought further trouble. This time Kecskemét and Szolnok both outran Fradi in the NB II (Eastern Group) title race. In the 2008/09 season, however, FTC has finally secured its return to the NB I.

In February 2008, Kevin McCabe, chairman of English football club Sheffield United, finalised an agreement with the club to buy its football team and with the Hungarian government to purchase and develop the ground around Stadion Albert Flórián. In April 2008, Ferencváros Torna Club officially agreed to sell the football club, Ferencváros Labdarúgó ZRt. to Esplanade Kft, McCabe's company in Hungary.

The development of a new all-seater football stadium with a capacity of 25,000 has been started. 'The Blades' already own a Chinese club – the Chengdu Blades and have an interest in clubs in Belgium, Ivory Coast, and Australia, and an exchange of ideas relationship with São Paulo. In 2009 Craig Short was nominated as the new manager of the club.

The club returned on 22 May 2009 to the Soproni Liga after a three year absence.

2010s

In January 2010 Ferencváros signed English Anthony Elding from Crewe Alexandra from League Two. Elding scored eight goals in 15 matches. In May 2010 Péter Lipcsei broke the team's appearance record after he played his 647th game for Ferencváros as they beat Lombard Pápa 2-0.

-----

Why Ferencváros?

1. Probably the only Hungarian club you've ever known.
  2. Ferencvaros is probably the most supported Hungarian club right now, thus making it easier in terms of attendances/kit selling.
  3. Club had huge financial troubles a few years ago, and it's in rebuilding process.
  4. Huge budget for a club of its size
  5. It's challenging to beat Debrecen and Videoton in first seasons

-----

Quick information

Reputation - National

Chairman status - Loves the club

Legends - None

Icons* - Peter Lipscei, Krisztian Lisztes, Tibor Nyilasi, Zoltan Gera

Favourites* - Varga Zoltan

Fierce rivals - Ujpest (very fierce)

Other rivals - MTK, Vasas, Honved, Debrecen

Finances - Okay

Continental Competition - None

Media prediction - 8th

Squad personality - Fairly ambitious

Captain - Attila Dragoner

Stadium capacity - 18100

*for some reason, those 5 players are unclickable, even though some of them are active, and one is actually at the club.

-----

Tranfer and wage budgets

I don't really understand, whether it's a small bug, or it's supposed to be that way, but your absolutely huge wage budget allows you to have around 1.5 million euros at start of first season. It's unbelievably helpful, because it may be tough to strengthen this club without spending a little money.

in euros

Objective                       Transfer Budget                    Wage Budget
Top Half Finish                 35.000                             51.000
Continental Qualityfication     40.000                             57.000
Title Challenge                 45.000                             58.000
Winner                          50.000                             59.000

-----

Squad and recommendations

Goalkeepers

This position doesn't require any improvements. Marko Ranilovic is already a really solid, young goalkeeper, which should be your first choice goalkeeper for a few years. Backup - Justin Haber. He isn't awful, can definitely step up when Marko picks up an injury, no need to spend additional money to strengthen the area you don't really need to. Prospects - there are four more goalkeepers at the team, they're all young, but simply will never be good enough for a championship contender team, cut them off if you want to.

Key Player - Marko Ranilovic

Prospects - none

Recommendations - none

Full/wing backs

At right back you have a once-amazing rightback Csaba Csizmadia, he got a huge nerf on FM11 after being completely dominant on last years game, but he still can do the job in first season, but you should look for a youngster or you can just replace him in first season, but I intend to not do the latter. On the left, we have absolutely nobody. There's Junior, but he is just quite terrible. Left back is the weakest link of the squad and must be reinforced. Signings are totally dependant on what size your database is. If you only play with large database with no additional players, the game will load a lot of African players, your best bet would be to scout teams from Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Tunisia and other bigger countries. I usually go with Habib Muhammad, 26 years old player from Ghana. He seems to have random stats, but they are usually good and he is also quite cheap. As far as prospects go, there really are none too. The only real backup you have is Zoltan Balog, he is adequate, but nothing special. You might look to buy an extra left back along with Habib.

Key Player - Csaba Csizmadia

Prospects - none

Recommendations - Habib Muhammad

Center backs

This is one, if not the strongest position in the squad. You have absolutely dominant Serbian Djordje Tutoric, he has amazing technical and physical ability, though his mental stats leave a lot to be desired. His partner usually is Istvan Rodenbucher, who's some of stats are random, but the ones that aren't indicate that he is quite slow. If you don't like slow defenders, I suggest you replace him. My recommendation would be Alexandre Barthe or Ioan Mera, both are usually transfer listed, but may ask for quite big wages, in comparisement with other players. They are worth it though. You have a few prospects here, but they need some serious mentoring and play time. My favorite - Zsombor Nyarasdi, he is in U19 squad, but I'd have him tutored by Dragoner, Balog or even Tutoric, and give him a few games, he can become pretty good player in future, and he is also Hungarian, so if you like to have a few natives in your squad later in the game - look no further. The other prospect, Axel Toth, is not as good, but he can become a rotation player, but if I'd have to choose - definitely Zsombor.

Key Player - Djordje Tutoric

Prospects - Zsombor Nyarasdi

Recommendations - Alexandre Barthe, Ioan Mera

Defensive and central midfielders

If you like to play with one or two defensive and no central midfielders, then you'll have to invest in this area. The only player, who isn't completely rubbish and can play DM is Matias Birge, who is also on loan. There's one more player, Adriano, but he is out on loan. Once again, the are lots of choices in Africa, but the one I would recommend is Gareth Ncaca - really quality DM, and pretty cheap too. Tinashe Nengomasha is also an option, but he may cost just a little too much, unless you wanna take a risk. In centre midfield department, we have Andrezinho, Srdjan Stanic, Bela Maroti, Gyorgi Joszi and few others. Nothing spectacular, Stanic excels much better as attacking midfielder, Andrezinho IS quality, he is just good, Maroti and Jozsi are good backups. It totally depends on your formation, but there's no real need to improve this area, you also have a few prospects, Mate Vass, Gyorgi Szabo and Mate Papp, which with some guidance can become solid players. Well, if you really want to, you can try to snatch up Matty Pattison, who is absolute quality. Also, you have a young defensive midfielder David Balint, who assistant rates very highly, but I never ever get anything from this guy, I've tried extensive tutoring, different training schedules, but to no avail.

Key Player - Andrezinho

Prospects - Mate Vass, Gyorgi Szabo, Mate Papp, David Balint(?)

Recommendations - Gareth Ncaca, Matty Pattison

Wingers

I love wingers, I can't imagine playing without them. Sadly, there really aren't many in first season. You have an ultra prospect Bence Toth, who should get plenty of sub appearances to improve, because if he develops, he can become a real force in this league. At left wing there are a few choices - Liban Abdi, which is the first choice if you don't buy anybody, Bence Toth, Andrezinho can play there, Marek Heinz too. But there's one guy, who is pretty much a must buy at this position, and it is Anthony Laffor. If you are lucky, you may get him without any competition, but usually there are a few clubs who put a cheeky bid for him. He may ask for nice wages, but he is definitely worth, he will lit it UP. There are a few alternatives like Daine Klate, but you should do your best to get that Laffor. At right wing, you basically have Heinz and Andrezinho only. If you don't plan playing those guys there, obviously you'll need someone else to step in. My favorite is Andras Pal, from MTK. He is Hungarian, he is mad fast, he will improve, and most importantly, he performs. Cheap, reliable, can play on both wings - what else can you ask?

Key Player - Bence Toth

Prospects - Bence Toth

Recommendations - Anthony Laffor, Andras Pal

Attacking midfielders and strikers

This area is pretty damn strong. You have a good performer in Stanic, an old, but still great Heinz, also a Maltese Schembri and young striker Emil Miljkovic. One thing you may want to add is a solid striker, because Emil will usually end up pretty bad, and Schembri tends to lose attributes in first season. One of my favorites has to be Goran Vujovic, from Fehervar. He got a little nerf, because he used to be absolute badass, scoring 30 goals if played as lone striker. Now he is still pretty good, and a little cheaper. If you want a real beast, you can try to sign a guy named Katlego Mphela, but be aware that you might face a fierce competition from strong European clubs.

Key Players - Srdjan Stanic, Marek Heinz

Prospects - none

Recommendations - Goran Vujovic, Katlego Mphela

-----

Conclusion

Ferencvaros is one of my favorite clubs to play for a few FMs now, and I've always wanted to post a team thread, so out of boredom I finally did. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post it below, and sorry for my pretty terrible English, I'm not a native English speaker.

Nice thread. I have to say the idea of managing a big team in one of Europe's lesser leagues is appealing to me. Trying to succeed in Europe with a team like Ferencvaros seems a decent challenge. I think it'll have to wait until FM12 though, as I'm pretty burnt out on FM11 at this point.

Nice thread. I have to say the idea of managing a big team in one of Europe's lesser leagues is appealing to me. Trying to succeed in Europe with a team like Ferencvaros seems a decent challenge. I think it'll have to wait until FM12 though, as I'm pretty burnt out on FM11 at this point.

To actually be really successful in Europe is really challenging with Ferencvaros. League's rep is really ****, although somehow I've managed to get two CL teams and four EL, but it took a LONG time and Genie Scout.

Archived