Stopping a goal drought

Played a few save games with relative success but in each season I've had strikers who are top class for the level they are playing at suddenly hit a 2010 Rooney-style goal drought where they cannot buy a goal for life or limb. I've tried being stupidly nice and stupidly harsh on different occasions to them in team talks/press conferences but have not found a consistent way of snapping them out of it. Any ideas??

All you need is friendlies. If you have a tight schedule for your first team, arrange it for your reserves. Pick an absolutely rubbish team as the opponent. Make sure the strikers on drought are picked in the match and watch them obliterate the lesser opponent. They'll have their morale on the high after the big win and in the next real match they will play better. It might not help immediately, but just keep playing those friendlies, keep morale/confidence high and the good performances in friendlies will improve performances in the competitive games.

And of course keep those team talks/press conferences coming, they will help too.

A jaded player will find it more difficult to hit the net. A break is often good. Staving off jadedness is a very real concern in FM and it's often hard to tell that a player is jaded before they start whinging about it and determined, professional types won't whinge until you start seeing that they start each game with significantly less then 100% fitness.

If you have 1 main goal threat (be that a player or a way of playing) you're going to have to find another way to score so that you don't start losing while you wait for your goal-machine to pick back up.

Try 'attacking movement' in the Match Preparation. That has certainly helped me with the attacking play in general at times, but I'm not sure if it's enough to stop the goal drought. It should however give your striker more chances to put a stop on it by scoring. :)

Archived