Help beating 5-3-2

Always struggle against this formation with my 4-4-2 narrow diamond. I usually try and pump balls in behind the 2 full backs after they have advanced upfield but with little success. I believe it is best to play a 4-5-1 so that they have 3 central defenders marking the lone striker leaving space for you to exploit but I am not sure how best to take advantage of that.

I am playing lower league and always struggle to break down this formation so any advice would be welcome

Even with no natural wide players your best bet would be for the short term improvise someone in those areas then look to get someone in the next window even if just as a squad player to play when you need to change your game plan and attack the flanks.

Am thinking I will put my DMC on RFD often to fill the centre midfield high up the pitch and set my 2 central MC to wide play hug touchline and put RFD often on my FB's. This should allow my MC/FB's to overload the wings. If I get my poacher and TM to stay central then I can try and ping crosses in and get my AMC to RFD to give 3 against 3 in the centre.

Not sure how effective this will be and haven't yet thought through the defensive implications ( Is hug touchline a possession based action so will they revert back to the centre when defending?? etc )

Worked an absolute treat with 70% possession and 16 shots on goal. Only won 2-1 but their keeper had a blinder and the MC's got wide and peppered the box with crosses. My poacher finished with 2 goals and a 9 rating. Don't you love it when a plan comes together!!!!

Archived