Help Defending Corners

Currently the AI is scoring at will against me from corners. Almost every game, irrespective of the opposition ( I am playing with AC Milan in Season 2) I am losing goals from corners. I have a traditional set up for defending them: one man at each post, central defenders marking tall players leaving Robinho and Ibra up front and the rest man marking. AI takes a near post corner and bang. Every time, almost every game.

Is there something wrong with this set up? Any help appreciated as I am tearing my hair out here.

I've never had a problem with corners and I usually just leave the set piece defending options as their defaults. You could try making a few midfielders man mark at corners, also if it's near post every time you could just set another another player to mark the near post.

I would suggest checking to see if it's always the same guy marking these goalscorers. If it is he may be short - if his jumping is rubbish just setting him to mark small player might cure it - if not he may be slow, lack anticipation, crap at marking or well many things so change his setting, even swap him with Ibra if you have to. If there is no one marking the goalscorers closely then check the guy on the near post, I find it's best to have someone with good defensive attributes here and not too short.

Also set short players to mark small players rather than just man mark.

In 4-2-3-1 for example I use this setup:

Fullbacks - Mark posts

Central Defenders - Mark Tall

Central Mids. - Man mark

Front four - Stay forward

I don't like overcrowded box cos it can lead to pinball game going inside the box and rebound ending up in my net. That was the case in almost every game until I switched to this routine. Sometimes I concede but usually from precise cross to opponents head, and that can happen regardless of how many players you have at the back.

In 4-2-3-1 for example I use this setup:

Fullbacks - Mark posts

Central Defenders - Mark Tall

Central Mids. - Man mark

Front four - Stay forward

I don't like overcrowded box cos it can lead to pinball game going inside the box and rebound ending up in my net. That was the case in almost every game until I switched to this routine. Sometimes I concede but usually from precise cross to opponents head, and that can happen regardless of how many players you have at the back.

I've tried using a similar approach in the past, but it led to at least one opponent not being marked in or around the penalty area. Do you put any of those front four on the edge of the area?

I have six players in the box plus the keeper. Opposition usually has four plus one lurker. Now I've checked few corners and my front four made opposition to have also four players at the back. Same thing is when I have three players going forward, they pull four back. Difference is that when I have four players one is always unmarked, that is player standing on the opposite side of the corner.

I tried having player on the edge of area but he was useless as he didn't mark the lurker. So if long shot was tried it made no difference, for that reason I'm willing to take the gamble. It's lottery as shot will result in a goal regardless of having someone or not and it's saves me from frustration :D

I usually station fullbacks at the posts, CDs mark tall players, keep my best passing midfielder lurking at the edge of the area and keep my quickest forward up front- everyone else gets the stay back default setting.

I put the Full Backs on the Near and Far posts, one Forward stays forward and one stays on the edge of the box, everyone else is man marking. Never got the mark tall and short player bit, I mean what do these players do if there aren't any?. Done it this way for years and I cannot ever remember having a goal; scored against me at corners. Of course it goes without saying that a good keeper is a must have.

I tried having player on the edge of area but he was useless as he didn't mark the lurker. So if long shot was tried it made no difference, for that reason I'm willing to take the gamble. It's lottery as shot will result in a goal regardless of having someone or not and it's saves me from frustration :D

I agree that the player on the edge of the area doesn't help much in terms of marking the lurking player, but I have found it to aid in quickly countering, as it can decrease the gap between the penalty area and your forwards.

Do not have full backs mark posts. Instead, have them go back if they cannot be relied on to man-mark, have a man at the edge of the area(to prevent long shots), have taller players with the ability to mark mark taller opposition players. If they do not have the ability to mark have them go back but only do it if the have the right mental attributes(anticipation, positioning, bravery, decisions). Have your poacher stay forward and even your wingers to counter-attack and have less attacking players when defending corners.

Thanks for the responses. I have:

a) Ticked defending set pieces in match prep

b) Looked at the full backs and see their concentration is only around 11 - 12 so replaced them at the posts

c) Adopted grimness' formula (apart from replacing the fullbacks with dmc's )

Seems to have resolved my issue.

Many thanks for the assistance

i'm conceding alot of goals from corners and free kicks! i've tried having every player back, leaving all 3 forwards up front, having tall players man mark, mark posts, and it's getting to a point whre im setting my players up tackling cautiously to try and reduce free kicks.....any helpers?

Archived