[FM11] A Canadian travelling in football - Round 3 [journeyman FM 11]

cerud

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great work with Nardo and Bahrain!

Good luck in the World Cup and keep it up with those performances against Asian competition. :)

Thanks rancer! The World Cup draws come in December 2013 I think, so I'll get to see who I'm facing soon. On the domestic side of things... ;)

europad.jpg

I'll have my year end wrap up later with the whole story!

2013 Season in Review

?w=130

Nardo FK - Tippeligaen

2nd Place Finish - Qualified Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - After our first 5 performances, I was expecting a long season with a relegation at the end of it. I never expected this, a 2nd place finish and Europa qualification! Once our new players got the system, they adapted well and integrated into our philosophy. I don't have the most expensive squad (not by a long shot!) but my players play as a team, not individuals, which is always good. It's been our way in every league so far as we're always expected to drop. However, Rosenborg were by far the league leaders. I started to catch up a little at the end, but they have the leauge won with 5 matches to go.

Norgesmesterskap SAS Braathens Cup - We made our Board's expectations, but it was our worst showing. Nothing to write home about. Hoping for better next year.

Tranfers - This year saw us with a good transfer budget. I didn't utilize all of it, but I was able ot bring in some new, young talent. Also made $272K in transfer difference this year as well!

Vegard Gjermundstad - D C - I picked up Gjermundstad during the August tranfer window and he quickly became the go to guy for attacking corners. Hoping he'll deliver even more next year.

Jairo - DM, M C - Jairo has been looking for a larger club to join, but I'm hoping that with our newfound European competition prospects, he'll want to stay. He really turned it up in the latter half of the year.

Arnold Simonek - ST - One of my new young guns this year, Simonek could have had even more if not for a 2 month injury. He's constantly inproving and plays very well with Wendes.

Wendes - ST - Ah Wendes...top goalscorer in the league with 19, top average rating in the lague with 7.41...he just keeps getting better. Had a bit of a slow start in the Tippeligean, but after about 5 matches, he came to life (right about when the entrie team came to life!). Wendes is the lynchpin of my attack.

Finances - Money is doing good, but mainly because of where we finished. Once we get our new stadium for next year, bigger crowds will make us more viable.

Facilities - Our new stadium should be completed in time for the beginning of next season! I also got a few more upgrades...

upgrades.jpg

Awards

• Norwegian Premier Top Goalscorer - Wendes - ST - 1st Place
  • Norwegian Premier Manager of the Year - Cerud - 1st Place! :)

Next Year...

Continue...? I hope to keep a good position in the Tippeligean, but that'll require some new blood. I'm hoping that my wages will increase now that have potential for greater revenues in order to bring in some qualify Norwegian players. Also looking forward to the Europa League!!

A great season cerud :thup: and great progress! It's good to see your players adapting to your system after just half a season, it could've been a lot worse if they didn't. It looks like you've assembled a good strike force...I guess you're justified in getting rid of Fredriksen after all :D;).

Great season,hope you enjoy the experience of Europe next season.Can't say I'm too surprised at Wendes being the Premier Top Goalscorer :D

Thanks BWG! I can't wait for Europa League either!

A great season cerud :thup: and great progress! It's good to see your players adapting to your system after just half a season, it could've been a lot worse if they didn't. It looks like you've assembled a good strike force...I guess you're justified in getting rid of Fredriksen after all :D;).

I'm glad that you approve, Raware! Yeah, having Henriksen leave was a risk, but it paid off. He's also a scout now so maybe I can bring him back??

2013 International Year in Review

Bahrain_football_association.png

Bahrain National Football Team

FIFA World Ranking - 33rd

World Rankings | Past Positions - Well, this ends my first year in international management. It was very productive and Bahrain has definitely improved! Our finishes in the qualifiers for the World Cup and Asian Cup has absolutely helped. I also noticed that Canada is currently ranked 13th!! How did that happen!?

FIFA World Cup AFC Qualifiers - A great finish! I joined with 3 matches already having been played and Bahrain sitting in 3rd place. Once our tactics and squad gelled, everything was perfect.

worldcupc.jpg

AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers - A competitions that the Board expected to qualify for easily. It was.

afc.jpg

Friendlies - I let my assistant manager decide who we play, but I control the actual matches. I was able to give a coupel new young players their first caps. One in particular, Masoud Qambar, really performed well. 5 caps overall this year, 5 goals.

2014 FIFA World Cup

27518_126501037392754_3859_n.jpg

In December 2013, the groups for the 2014 World Cup were also announced. The groups are:

Group A: Mexico, Angola, Israel, Brazil

Group B: Chile, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Canada

Group C: Russia, Tunisia, UAE, Spain

Group D: Netherlands, Ireland, Uruguay, Egypt

Group E: Germany, Sweden, Japan, Nigeria

Group F: Saudi Arabia, United States, Serbia, Argentina

Group G: England, Bahrain, Colombia, Portugal

Group H: Venezuela, Italy, France, South Korea

All I can say is...ouch. The FIFA rankings for the nations in our groups are:

• England - 1st
  • Colombia - 25rd
  • Portugal - 18th

So, we're the lowest ranked nation in our group and with the top ranking one with us as well. I think qualifying out of the group stage would be amazing, but it will require a lot of help.

Next Year...

The World Cup! Also, we have the continuation of the AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers and I'm expecting to qualify with ease given how we are doing so far.

8 January 2014

Bahrain National Football Team - AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers

Well, time to start the new year!

We had several injuries for this squad, including our top striker who lead last year. I just found out that Allawi is out for 9 to 11 months with damaged cruciate ligaments. Couldn't have come at a worse time with the World Cup in only a few months...

2014 Pre-season

?w=130

Nardo FK - Tippeligaen

Tippeligaen: A safe mid-table finish (should be possible, but with European commitments, the schedule will be tight)

Norgesmesterskap SAS Braathens Cup: 4th Round

UEFA Europa League: Learn from the experience

Media Prediction: 11th of 16

Sky Bet League Title Odds: 33-1

Wage Budget: $2 278 247, an increase of $661 089 (currently spending $1 332 607)

Transfer Budget: $1 760 000

Kit Sponsorship: $150 142 (ends in 2015)

Stadium Sponsorship: $375 606 (ends in 2017)

TV Rights: $604 000

Youth Intake: My assistant manager doesn't like anyone this year's from our intake. However, I did manage to bring in a couple 18 year olds myself for the youth squad in the hopes to training them up. Both were free transfers too! :)

Lubos Vegh - GK - Rated at 1.5/4.5 stars.

Juan Escobar - D C - Rated at 1.5/3.5 stars.

Not good news for the World Cup...and with the group you've got, well, I won't be putting my money on Bahrain! ;):D

I've beaten higher ranked teams with Bahrain before, Raware! Not this high though...but still! Up for the challenge.

Nah. Bahrain is the one who's going to be giving the money! ;):D

Mon Canada! All we got is Croatia, Ivory Coast, and Chile...

Yeah, but Canada in this career is ranked 13th in the world right now. Not sure how that happened, but they must be doing something right over there! They did just finish in 3rd place in the 2013 Gold Cup...maybe that helped.

Was away at a wedding, but back now and continuing with international play...

5 March 2011

Bahrain National Football Team - AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers

1634557480.png332964294.png

Bahrain 1 - 1 Malaysia

This was...disappointing to say the least. We dominated them...DOMINATED. Except their goalkeeper played a hell of a game. Their only shot was their only goal...in the final minute of injury time. Doesn't matter, we qualified, but I'm not happy with this match.

bahraint.jpg

The draws for the 2015 Asian Cup are not until December, so my Bahraini side will be anticipating their World Cup in Brazil as our next matches! I may have a few friendlies before then if possible; we'll see.

2013 Pre-season Matches

?w=130

Nardo FK - Tippeligaen

We're doing well for cash at the moment. This will mainly be for training because Europa league qualifiers are soon.

Guinea-Bissau - Sport Bissau e Benfica - won 3-0

Argentina - Social Español - won 5-1

Peru - Club Deportivo Universidad César Vallejo - tied 2-2

Australia - Sorrento Soccer Club - won 5-0

Venezuela - Real Esppor Club - won 2-0

Argentina - Douglas Haig - won 6-0

A tour of South America! And Australia for good measure! :)

Looking good at international level and the best of luck at the World Cup :thup:

A solid pre-season in what I hope can be a successful new season for you :D

Thanks BWG! The World Cup has given us a hard group, but I hope for a decent showing at least.

Our first of (hopefully many) upgrades are finished and just in time for our first match! :)

facilitiesi.jpg

We now have adequate training and youth facilities. Now I just have to wait for the completion on our new stadium at the end of May.

Well done on getting Bahrain to the World Cup, a solid achievement. Enjoy the experience, as unfortunately, I don't see you getting out of that group! :)

Excellent season with Nardo too. The Europa League money will come in very handy in your quest to topple Rosenborg.

Quality Cerud, Hope you do well in the League and the World Cup

Thanks iHeadHunta!

Well done on getting Bahrain to the World Cup, a solid achievement. Enjoy the experience, as unfortunately, I don't see you getting out of that group! :)

Excellent season with Nardo too. The Europa League money will come in very handy in your quest to topple Rosenborg.

I agree about Bahrain. I don't think I'll be progressing too far with that group :) If I do...then watch out!! As for Nardo, the Europa money will help, plus I'll have my new stadium by then for our matches, much bigger capacity, though still small compared to other nations. Right now the league is super tight. 8 games in and I'm tied with Rosenborg for top spot. And there's about 5 teams right under us.

17 June 2014

brazil-world-cup-2014-official-logo.jpg

FIFA World Cup - Group Stage

So, Bahrain's odds for the World Cup as basically slim to none...

oddsu.jpg

We were leading...for eight whole minutes in the second half. However, I think I angered the Portugese because they came on fire afterwards. Cristiano Ronaldo led their charge and is was all I could do to keep the goal as low as it was. Bahrain is definitely out of its league here!!

27 June 2014

brazil-world-cup-2014-official-logo.jpg

FIFA World Cup - Group Stage

1634557480.pngUntitled-2copy.png

Bahrain 1 - 4 United Kingdom

This was the Wayne Rooney show. He had a hat trick in the first half and another goal disallowed in the second half. We actually held our own in the second half, but England is the number one ranked nation. The score did us justice.

Well, the group stage is completed and the standings for Group G are:

65619177.jpg

We didn't qualify, but then again, I don't think that was ever an option. I'm happy with the point we got although the win against Colombia would have been nice.

United Kingdom?...UNITED KINGDOM?...We're England, not the United Kingdom! ;):p Without out sounding pedantic, couldn't you use an England flag that you can get from Google? :D

A decent World Cup for you and like you said, at least you managed to get a point. :D

Yes, us Brits are strange animals when it comes to football! We're very patriotic about our own individual countries.

Don't you go tarring us, the brave English, with the same brush as the toothless Scots and sheep-shagging Welsh ;):D (I'm sure they wouldn't want us anyway :D)

Good effort in the World cup and aim to make bahrain a bigger nation now!

Thanks iHeadHunta. I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay with Bahrain...maybe see through the 2015 Asian Cup, not sure yet.

United Kingdom?...UNITED KINGDOM?...We're England, not the United Kingdom! ;):p Without out sounding pedantic, couldn't you use an England flag that you can get from Google? :D

A decent World Cup for you and like you said, at least you managed to get a point. :D

I know, I know!! The flags were from Google, which, unfortunately, doesn't have an English flag in the same format as what I've started using (the rounded ones). If you find one though, I'll be happy to change it!

Yes, us Brits are strange animals when it comes to football! We're very patriotic about our own individual countries.

Don't you go tarring us, the brave English, with the same brush as the toothless Scots and sheep-shagging Welsh ;):D (I'm sure they wouldn't want us anyway :D)

You and football, my countrymen and hockey ;) I apologize for the flag, I really do. Find me an English one in that style and I'll change it! Promise!!

2014 FIFA World Cup

27518_126501037392754_3859_n.jpg

Group A: Brazil, Israel, Angola, Mexico

Group B: Chile, Croatia, Ivory Coast, Canada

Group C: Spain, UAE, Tunisia, Russia

Group D: Uruguay, Netherlands, Ireland, Egypt

Group E: Nigeria, Germany, Sweden, Japan

Group F: Argentina, United States, Saudi Arabia, Serbia

Group G: Portugal, England, Colombia, Bahrain

Group H: Italy, France, Venezuela, South Korea

2nd Round

Croatia 1p - 1 Brazil

Chile 2 - 1 Israel

Netherlands 2 - 0 Spain

Uruguay 2 - 0 UAE

Nigeria 0 - 1 United States

Germany 2 - 1 Argentina

Portugal 0 - 2 France

Italy 1 - 0 England

Quarter Finals

Croatia 3 - 0 Uruguay

Chile 0 - 2 Netherlands

United States 0 - 2 Italy

Germany 1 - 4 France

Semi Finals

Croatia 1 - 0 France

Netherlands 2e - 1 Italy

3rd Place Playoff

France 1p - 1 Italy

Final

Croatia 0p - 0 Netherlands

The next World Cup will be in Qatar. So far, the Brazilian and Mexican managers have been sacked as a result of poor performances. The Italian manager has also retired.

I just received my first domestic club job offer.

jobny.jpg

Pros:

• Way higher transfer budget
  • Way higher salary allowance
  • Lots of salary room for new players
  • Good salary for me :)
  • Much better stadium and facilities
  • Expected to finish in a Europa qualifying top league position (4th)

Cons:

• May not get to win a top league title in Norway (although they wil allow me to take the job after my contract is up this coming December).
  • ....can't think of any others

Hmmm...any ideas?

What's the league reputation of Norway's and Czech Republic's top flight?

The Tippeligaen in Norway is 28th in Europe.

The 1. Gambrinus Liga in the Czech Republic is 49th in Europe; however this includes a drastic fall from 31st place. The last time the rankings came out the top Czech league was above Norway's. This could be a minor blip or a systemic fall...not sure which.

So, while I wait for suggestions...let's do a mid-season update!!

2014 Mid-season Update

?w=130

Nardo FK - Tippeligaen

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - It has been a great season so far, but very close. Rosenborg and Nardo are starting to put distance between the other teams, but it's been a lot closer so far. Only three points off of Rosenborg. We lost our match to them; they always seem to greatly outplay us, but with 15 matches to go, I'm hoping another team or two can help us out with that!

Players of Note...

Vegard Gjermundstad - D C - Our top defender. He's also got a handful of goals for attacking corners. Gjermunstad was wanting to leave for a bigger club, but I got him to sign a 3-year deal that is still at a decent wage for the team.

Mathieu Duhamel - ST - I brought in Duhamel on a free in the off season. I wanted a good left-footed striker to help with my 4-3-3. Duhamel is the guy. Second only to Wendes on the team for goals, he's also been our top contributor for assists, which also helps Wendes ;)

Arnold Simonek - ST - Simonek was wanting a bigger club as well, but a new deal will keep him at Nardo for while. Ever-present and a top 3 striker on our first line.

Wendes - ST - This season, I have to list my top line of strikers. I signed Wendes in the off season to a long term contract given that he is the face of Nardo. Leading the team in goals and second in the leage, Wendes continues to dominate.

So, I decided to sign with Slavia Prague, the change occuring after my existing contract with Nardo is finished at the end of the year. However, Now I see this...

movee.jpg

Did my move cause the owner to want ot leave too?!?! And are they trying to force me out early now? Odd...

A bit late here but I would've said move too. Unless like rancer said, if you think you can push Rosenberg and genuinely believe you can win the title, leave at the end of the season. Hope you're not going to regret leaving without winning a title, if you ever could've such is the dominance of Rosenberg.

A bit late here but I would've said move too. Unless like rancer said, if you think you can push Rosenberg and genuinely believe you can win the title, leave at the end of the season. Hope you're not going to regret leaving without winning a title, if you ever could've such is the dominance of Rosenberg.

I think the move is the right thing to do now in my career. I've moved Nardo up into the top of Norwegian football from the 3rd division. Won 2 league titles to do so. While I still have a chance to win the Tippeligaen this year over Rosenborg, they are the dominant force in Norway. They've only lost 1 game so far this year. I also had said to myself that I would seiously consider a move this year anyways. Plus, given that my background is Czech, I can't go wrong! :)

Archived