[FM11] A Canadian travelling in football - Round 3 [journeyman FM 11]

cerud

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cerud, May i ask where you get the round logo's from bud?

Hey iHeadHunta. Yeah, they're online at iconspedia. I just type a quick Google seach for say "Bahrain flag iconspedia" and them look at the images. They're all there...except the English flag for some reason :mad:

2014 Season in Review

?w=130

Nardo FK - Tippeligaen

Winners - League Cup - Qualified UEFA Champions League 2nd Qualifying Round

no-tippeligaen11.png

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - We did it!! Going into the final match, we were tied with Rosenborg, but leading on goal difference. It had been a hard fought final 10 matches, with neither side really getting an edge. But in the final, we did it and Rosenborg lost. This is the way to end a job in Norway! :)

Norgesmesterskap SAS Braathens Cup - Made it to the quarter finals, but really should have done better. We let Fredrikstad get back into the game from a 2 goal deficit. Only ourselves to blame on this one.

UEFA Europa League - Nardo FK's first ever showing into European football was exciting and rewarding. We made it to the 4th qualifying round only to come up against sc Heerenveen in in the Dutch Eredivisie. A much better side appropriately knocked up down, but I was happy with our progress into this first time league.

Transfers - Made $375K in transfers this year. Brought in a few players that should be around with Nardo (if the next manager is smart) for a long while to come.

Espen Bugge Pettersen - GK - Winner of the Goalkeeper of the Year. 11 clean sheets in 25 matches. Excellent for the veteran. Perhaps the Norwegian manager will rethink dropping him.

Vegard Gjermundstad - D C - Runner up to Defender of the Year. Solid player, strong tackler and excellent in attacking corners.

Mathieu Duhamel - ST - Best signing of the year. Lead the team in assists and his left-footedness filled a much needed hole in the first line. Popped in 21 goals in 41 matches as well.

Arnold Simonek - ST - Another good year for the striker. 20 goals in 35 matches. Had a bit of a dry spell in mid-season but really turned it around.

Wendes - ST - Wendes...I cannot say good enough about this player. League leader in goals, broke Henriksen's record for most goals in league play by a Nardo player. 40 goals in 40 matches. That is about as good as it gets. I picked this guy on a free a few years back and now he's worth $3.2 million. Not bad.

Finances - Receiving just over $2.5 million for winning the league helped.

Facilities - A lot of changes this year! We moved into the brand new Nardo Stadium, and got new training and youth facility upgrades. I have a youth recruitment network upgrade coming for next year already agreed to by the Board as well. Also just received notice of another upgrade for the upcoming year...

expansion.jpg

Kind of funny that Nardo has to ground share with Rosenborg for the next year!

Awards

• Norwegian Premier Top Goalscorer - Wendes - 1st Place
  • Norwegian Premier Top Goalscorer - Mathieu Duhamel - 3rd Place
  • Norwegian Goalkeeper of the Year - Espen Bugge Pettersen - 1st Place
  • Norwegian Defender of the Year - Vegard Gjermundstad - 2nd Place
  • Norwegian Premier Manager of the Year - Cerud - 1st Place

Next Year...

There is no next year at Nardo! As the Norwegian leagues run April to December, but contract expires in a couple weeks at the end of the year. I then start up at SK Slavia Praha in the 1. Gambrinus Liga in the Czech Republic. So, basically a nice Christmas break and then off to a new team and new country!

Excellent last season with Nardo especially beating Rosenborg to the title on the last game of the season :D
Class League title, Well done

Thanks BWG and iHeadHunta! :)

A great way to leave Nardo :thup:. Any chance that you'll be taking Wendes with you to Prague?

Thanks Raware! :) Man, I'd love to take Wendes, but he's got a long term deal I negotiated at the beginning of the season...I didn't know I'd be leaving yet! Although, looking a SK Slavia Praha...they could use strikers.....hmmm...

2014 International Year in Review

Bahrain_football_association.png

Bahrain National Football Team

FIFA World Ranking - 53rd

World Rankings | Past Positions - A lot of change in rankings this year because of the World Cup. Croatia even topped the list for a month! We plummetted understandably after our exit from the World Cup and now sit in probably a more appropriate spot.

AFC Asian Cup Qualifers - We qualified as we should; however, I was not happy about our final match. Uninspired team play.

afca.jpg

FIFA World Cup 2014 - Bottom of the group, where we were expected. I was hoping to hold out for the win against Colombia, but a draw is better than nothing.

75465978.jpg

Friendlies - Our friendly matches were mainly preparation for our various tournaments. Those at the end of the year, I gave opportunity to a few newcomers to get their first international caps and experience what it's like to play on that size of a stage.

2015 AFC Asian Cup

Afcausbasic15.png

The groups for the AFC Asian Cup just came out. Here's how it stands:

Group A: Bahrain, China, Iraq, Nepal

Group B: Kuwait, Tajikistan, UAE, Uzbekistan

Group C: Iran, Japan, Philippines, Qatar

Group D: Australia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, South Korea

Definitely a group we should qualify from. China will be our main opposition. I think once this tournament is complete, I may retire from Bahrain. I've taken them as far as I can...but we'll see.

Next Year...

The AFC Asian Cup. After that...who knows!

Looks like a steady enough group in the Asian Cup for you with China probably your main challengers, as you said. As you finished 2nd in the qualifiers behind Iran, were you still seeded 1st when the Asian Cup groups proper were drawn? You should make it out of the group stage but after that, there looks some tough teams which you could meet. Good luck for it :thup:.

Least you got a point in the World Cup but the best of luck in the Asian Cup

Thanks, BWG. I know a point for Bahrain is good in that group so I'll take it!

Looks like a steady enough group in the Asian Cup for you with China probably your main challengers, as you said. As you finished 2nd in the qualifiers behind Iran, were you still seeded 1st when the Asian Cup groups proper were drawn? You should make it out of the group stage but after that, there looks some tough teams which you could meet. Good luck for it :thup:.

Yeah, I was seeded first before all other squads; not sure how that works. The Bahraini Board has made a minimum expectation of the quarter finals for the Asian Cup, which should be doable.

Now...to Prague!!

slavia-football-club-prague-1.jpg

SK Slavia Praha - 1. Gambrinus Liga

I went from $200 000 at Nardo FK to $500 000 at SK Slavia Praha. Not a bad pay jump! The team has already played 16 of their 30 game league schedule and sit in 2nd place. They are 9 points behind league leaders FK Mladá Boleslav. The good thing is that they are on their winter break until the beginning of March so I'll have time to make some changes to tactics and squad and have them ready in time to play. :)

A quick background...

Founded in 1892, SK Slavia Praha are a professional Czech club currently playing in the 1. Gambrinus Liga. The club play their home games at Synot Tip Arena and possess top training facilities and an excellent youth setup. The club also have an established youth recruitment network. The club retains a fierce rivalry with AC Sparta Praha.

As a club which enjoyed its best spell of success during the 2000s and their last competition win coming as recently as 2009, Slavia Prague are a club with a growing history. Slavia Prague won the Czech top division in 1996, 2008, and 2009 and finished runners-up on nine occasions, won the Mitropa Cup in 1938 and finished runners-up once, won the Ondrášovka Cup in 1997, 1999, and 2002, and finished runners-up in the Challenge Cup in 1901.

There is a lot of room in the budget for wages and they are awash in cash with almost $10 million in the bank. The stadium and facilities are pretty much the best you can get. This is a long way from Nardo FK!!! It's like I just stepped into the Taj Mahal :) For some reason though, they have 7 physios and only 3 scouts. I hope this is not an indicator of their general health. First priority will be strikers as they only have 2 on the first squad.

Also, here's a pic of the Synot Tip Arena. Not bad at all!

1309894256_e2029cab829f0d7674b71e9f3f8debfc.jpg

Looks like you could possibly get some fine Czech youth through your youth system!

Although you shouldn't forget the lesser of the Prague sides either....Bohemians 1905 :p:D

Czech football is one nation I don't know much of. Bohemians 1905 is listed as an other rivalry along with a few other teams, but I guess nothing like Sparta Prague. :)

2014-2015 Pre-season (for me!)

1. Ganbrinus Liga: Qualify for UEFA Europa League (will not be judged on this year)

Ondrášovka Cup: Not considered important

Wage Budget: $4 909 991 (currently spending $3 724 492)

Transfer Budget: $4.65M

Media Prediction: 4th

General Sponsorship: $3.15M

Kit Sponsorship: $525K

Stadium Sponsopship: $1.05M

2013-2014 Mid-season Update

I might as well do this right now since that's where I'm joining up. However, I will be a little punctuated.

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - SK Slavia Praha have had a decent season so far and are well on their way to their Europa Qualification. The season had be one of ups and downs. Hopefully, I can help stablize this.

Not mch to talk in the way of players yet as I don't know them. They got time to impress me, so we'll see.

Good luck chasing down Boleslav in the second half of the season. You're going to need them to slip up a bit, though, if you're going to catch them.

2nd-8th is mighty close too :eek:

Good luck in pushing away from the chasing pack but Boleslav leading by that much,can't say I saw that one coming :eek:

Thanks AK22 and BWG. Yeah, it's definitely a tight pack and I do need to strengthen the squad (horrible goalkeepers, only 2 mediocre strikers...), but its possible to at least maintain my 2nd place position. Moving up with only 14 games to go...possible too..but depends on any favours we get from other teams against Boleslav. ;)

Was at Slavia not too long ago, unfortunately Sparta are a heck of an obstacle.

Hi deltablue. Yeah Sparta are an obstacle. I've got 5 matches left in the season and while I've closed the gap between me and the lead, most other teams have moved up with me. Standings right now are:

• Sparta Prague - 51 pts
  • Mladá Boleslav - 50 pts
  • Slovan Liberec - 48 pts
  • Slavia Prague - 47 pts

Doable, but tough indeed!

2014-2015 Season in Review

2nd Place Finish - Qualified UEFA Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - When I joined up Slavia Prague had already played 16 matches and were in 2nd place. However, there was barely anything separating 2nd to 6th, mainly a point or two and goal differences. We caught up to the top team, but everyone else was playing good as well. However, we were able to become a much more consistent team in those remaining 14 matches, going with 11 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw. I hope to grow on this for next year.

Ondrášovka Cup - We were able eliminated by the time I showed up. Looks like the team didn't show up either.

Tranfers - A lot of movement, but not much by me. My Board has given me an amazing budget...unfortunately, they won't let me spent it. Their restriction on what I can offer in wages is pitiful. Hope that changes for next season so I can actually sign a few decent players.

Abraham Paz - SW, D C - Paz was already at the club, but underused. In his first match, he scored his first goal ever for the club and finished off with a hattrick, all from corners! Decent in defending, but getting up there in years. I made him our captain as he was much better than the old one. The old captain complained, but I told him to sit down and shut up. I've got no time for adult whiners. He listened and fell in line and Paz led our team well. Might have been his gloriful ending...not sure yet.

Marek Lukac - ST - One signing that did rather well. He's no Wendes, but I couldn't get Nardo to part with any of my old players. Lukas stepped up and filled a rather empty striker line. He's young too, so hopefully he'll grow into a decent player.

Finances - Made a decent bit of money this year! With the Europa League next year, I'm hoping this grows even more as wage budgets in the 1. Gambrinus Liga are limited to 75% of turnover.

Facilities - Wow, these are better than Nardo!! I do wish we owned it outright though. We do have a nice little upgrade coming our way though :)

academyp.jpg

Awards

Next Year...

Build the squad up and hopefully have a good showing in the Europa League. I want to get into the group stages and really have a go at some European football. I think Slavia have the potential for it.

Good consolidation cerud, a foresee the Battle of Prague next season :thup:

I'm surprised how Boleslav completely fell apart in the second half of the season though. They were leading by a country mile!

Thanks, AK22. Yeah, Boleslave basically imploded. They lost their lead and then kept falling. Not sure what their problem was.

2015-2016 Pre-season

1. Gambrinus Liga: Win the Gambrinus Liga

Ondrášovka Cup: Not considered important

Český Superpohár: Not considered important

UEFA Europa League: Reach Phase 1 Group Stage

Media Prediction: 2nd of 16

Sky Bet League Title Odds: 5-1

Wage Budget: $4 498 065, decrease of $411 926 (Currently spending $3 588 413 so not too bad)

Transfer Budget: $3.5M

General Sponsorship: $3.2M (ends in June 2016)

Kit Sponsorship: $525K (ends in June 2017)

Stadium Sponsopship: $1.1M (ends in June 2017)

TV Rights:

Youth Intake: My assistant thinks very highly of this guy. His physical stats are not good at all. If he wants to play, he'll need to really work at it. I'll help him where I can.

Martin Just - DM, M C

Interesting to see if you can do it in your first full season there, should be close at least.
No pressure in your first full season then?! ;) I don't see why it shouldn't be acheivable considering how strong your squad looks and the run they gave Sparta at the end of the season.

Thanks deltablue and Raware! :) Yeah, no pressuren eh? ;) I've had the time to really bolster the back end of the squad as it seemed the biggest problem was in leaking goals. The scoring is there I just need to prevent the other team from doing the same! Also, the squad is the oldest in the league so I've brought in some new talent, some that can play now, others in a year or two. Here's hoping.

2015-2016 Pre-season Matches

Unfortunately, our last season ended late and players had less than two weeks of a break. I had to give about 80% of the squad an extended break, which ruined the opportunity for a decent pre-season. We did get in a few matches though.

Australia - Bankstown City Lions FC - won 4-1

Costa Rica - Liga Deportiva Alajuelense - tied 3-3

Argentina - Platense - tied 1-1

Brazil - Itumbiara - won 3-0

Now onto my first full season with Slavia! :)

18 July 2015

Afcausbasic15.png

AFC Asian Cup 2015

So, I finally get to take Bahrain into the Asian Cup. I'm hoping to qualify through my group, China being the main competition here. Our first match is an easy one to get into it. We meet Nepal.

Yeah...not much of a match. I even had to score their goa for them! ;) But the 5 goal difference may end up helping us if any ties occur later on.

2015-2016 Off Season Transfers

Transfers - Made over $2.3 million in transfer difference. Brought in some new younger faces.

Michal Danek - GK - Needed a better goalkeeper, got a better goalkeeper. Plus, he can also train! :)

Grant Hanley - D C - Excellent physical stats. I think he may be a strong keeper for quite a few years.

Jérôme Lemoigne - DM, M C - Lemoinge will be our anchor in the midfield. I've also brought in a younger midfielder who will hopefully play well with him.

26 July 2015

Afcausbasic15.png

AFC Asian Cup 2015

1634557480.png229216663.png

Bahrain 2 - 1 China

China took the lead halfway through the 2nd half. I figured we had the qualification anyways, so I changed to an all out attack. We got the tying goal about 10 minutes later and won when one of their own players to the ball in their net in trying to tackle my striker! A perfect group stage!

afcd.jpg

26 July 2015

Afcausbasic15.png

AFC Asian Cup 2015 - Quarter Finals

1634557480.png18195903811230925439.png

Bahrain 2e - 1 Japan

Wow, this game did a number for my nerves. No goals after 90 minutes in a hard fought match by both sides. Finally, in extra time, we get a penalty shot...and bounce it off the goalkeeper and post!! A minute last we score. In teh 2nd part of extra time, they equalize. I immediately change tactics towards more pressure and get back the winner with on a few mintues to spare. :) I knew Japan would be a difficult game to play, but in end, we did it and move on to teh Semi Finals!

4 August 2015

Afcausbasic15.png

AFC Asian Cup 2015 - Semi Finals

1634557480.png702968203.png

Bahrain 3 - 1 United Arab Emirates

Going to the finals! UAE came to play; they dominated the first 15 minutes, pretty much up to our first goal. They never gave up. I didn't have high hopes for this match. I had two players suspended and four more injured...a pretty depleted bench, but they held through!

Now onto the AFC Asian Cup Finals! :)

8 August 2015

Afcausbasic15.png

AFC Asian Cup 2015 - Finals

53712904.png1634557480.png

Australia 1 - 3 Bahrain

And that...is that. We won the Asian Cup against Australia, the host nation. Another hard fought match where we were dominated early on; however, with the added depth in having our suspension over and a few players back from injury, we held on to take control. Australia may have a argument over the penalty kick (looks like it may not have been a penalty), but thats football. This time, luck was on my side!

Here's how the stages played out.

Group A: Bahrain, China, Iraq, Nepel

Group B: UAE, Uzbekistan, Kuwait, Tajikistan

Group C: Iran, Japan, Qatar, Philippines

Group D: Australia, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Oman

Quarter Finals

Iran 2 - 4 China

Bahrain 2e - 1 Japan

Australia 2 - 1 Uzbekistan

South Korea 0 - 3 UAE

Semi Finals

China 0 -2 Australia

Bahrain 3 - 1 UAE

3rd Place Playoff

China 1 - 0 UAE

Final

Australia 1 - 3 Bahrain

Awards

So, Bahrain will host the next AFC Asian Cup in 2019. There have been quite a few managerial firings/resignings in the aftermath. China, Kuwait, Qatar, the Philippines, and the UAE are all looking for new managers.

Wow! What a great Asian Cup campaign for you! To win it with Bahrain is some acheivement :thup:. I presume you're going to stay on with them? Maybe try and take them to the World Cup finals?
What Raware said :thup: Excellent achievement winning the Asian Cup, some really impressive results along the way too.

Thanks Raware and AK22. I've actually decided the leave Bahrain on this high note. I was able to get Bahrain qualified for both the World Cup and Asian Cup. Winning the Asian Cup is a commendable achievement that I can be proud of, but I felt as though it was time to let someone lese take the reigns. I'm not looking ofr any international management as of right now, but concentrating on Slavia Prague, but if a national side comes to my door, I'll consider it! :)

quith.jpg

Interesting offer....

croatiah.jpg

Croatia is also the defending 2014 FIFA World Cup champions :) I think I may have to take this one. Definitely a step up from Bahrain!

On the same day, I also had this pop in my news inbox...

bahiay.jpg

This is the first time that my name has ever been associated with another job. I won't be taking it as I still have a title to win with Slavia Prague, but it's nice to see :)

18 October 2015

160px-Croatia_football_federation.png

Croatian National Football Team

Even though I just recent retired from Bahrain and had no expectation of going back into international management so soon, I felt as though this was not something I could pass up. Croatia is the defending World Cup champions and have a very good chance of retaining.

UEFA European Football Championship Qualifiers: Qualify easily from the Group Stage of the Euro Qualifiers

Capital City: Zabreg

Population: 4.44M

Rival Nations: Serbia, Slovenia, Italy, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Australia, Germany, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro

National Stadium: Maksimir

Stadium Capacity: 37 168

Here's what Maksinir Stadium looks like.

54661_ori_maksimir.jpg

FIFA World Ranking: 7th

Top Players

Luka Modric - M/AM RLC - Playing for Tottenham in the English Premiership. Easily Croatian's most well known player.

Milan Badelj - M/AM C - Part of the first XI at Liverpool.

Ivan Rakitic - M/AM C - Plays for Sevilla in Spain. Not a lot of playing time there, only used as a backing player.

Sime Vrsaljko - D/WB R, DM, M C - Massive defending power for Bordeaux.

Dejan Lovren - D RC - Part of the English Premiership leading Chelsea.

Niko Kranjcar - M/AM LC - With Liverpool. An aging veteran who still gets a few minutes.

2015-2016 Mid-Season Update

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - We've had a great opening half to the season. Unfortunately, Sparta Prague's has still been better. I'm really going to need some help from the other teams in order to catch them. We could have done better; however, for most of this season, I've had all 5 of my strikers injured. There's a 15 year old on my youth squad that has played more 1st squad matches than some of my starting strikers. I did mange to bring in another striker just before the transfer deadline so hopefully I can stop the bleed.

Players of Note...

Michal Danek - GK - In Danek, I finally have a starting goalkeeper. 8 clean sheets in 14 league matches. He's injured right now, but his young back up that he's helping to train is doing a good job.

Andriy Kiva - M/AM LC - Kiva is showing some amazing creative flair in the midfield. Superb assisting and has been able to contribute a few goals himself.

Marek Lukac - ST - Possibly my new Wendes? He's a pacey striker and good young leader. I'm hoping that he continues to grow a bit more, but so far, so good.

David Izazola - AM R, ST - Izazola had a great start to the season until a broken leg sidelined him for 6 months. Still, he deserves mention.

2015 International Year in Review

160px-Croatia_football_federation.png

Croatian National Football Team

FIFA World Ranking - 6th

I know that I've barely been with Croatia as of now, but a year in review is a year in review :)

World Rankings | Past Positions - We moved up a spot! One whole spot! But I guess that's fine for 2 months work.

Friendlies - The only matches that I've presided over so far with Croatia are the final two friendlies. Both were good and gave the squad an opportunity to get into any tactical changes. They've adapted in amazing speed! Definitely pros.

UEFA European Championship 2016

miniLogoEuro2016.jpg

We now have the group draws for Euro 2016. Here's how it runs down:

Group A: France, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Portugal

Group B: Netherlands, Montenegro, Ireland, Cyprus

Group C: Spain, Wales, Germany, Serbia

Group D: Italy, Austria, Slovakia, Romania

Group E: England, Belgium, Scotland, Poland

Group F: Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Russia, Denmark

FIFA World Cupp UEFA Qualifiers

Rus_WCh_2018_f.jpg?240x2400

We've also had the draws for the FIFA World Cup UEFA Qualifiers. Here's how this one stands:

Group 1: England, Romania, Belarus, Albania, Macedonia, Kazakhstan

Group 2: Italy, Czech Republic, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Lithuania, Turkey, Luxembourg

Group 3: Croatia, Ireland, Scotland, Switzerland, Armenia, Lietchtenstein

Group 4: France, Serbia, Iceland, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands

Group 5: Portugal, Montenegro, Hungary, Wales, Georgia, San Marino

Group 6: Germany, Slovakia, Israel, Northern Ireland, Latvia, Andorra

Group 7: Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Malta

Group 8: Netherlands, Poland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Finland

Group 9: Belgium, Greece, Austria, Slovenia, Moldova

Next Year...

A good showing in the Euro Cup should not be an issue and the Croatian Board thinks so as well. Smae goes for the World Cup Qualifiers.

UEFA European Championship: Reach the Semi Final

FIFA World Cup UEFA Qualifiers: Qualify easily from the Group Stage

Archived