Concussions in FM

After reading an ESPN piece on concussions in football (http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6912840/soccer-big-concussion-problem-anything-being-done-protect-players), I realized that in all my time of playing FM I've never seen a player out with a concussion. This article was a bit of an eye-opener to me.

I think FM can help raise awareness for the dangers of concussions in athletes by simply making it an injury that players need to be aware of. It seems like a small step, but with such a popular game and so many people who play the sport itself, every little bit can help.

What do you guys think about concussions in FM, and in the sport in general?

Can't judge whether their frequency needs to be adjusted or not, but it is clearly a big issue in other contact sports like American football and ice hockey where even the use of helmets haven't prevented long-term debilitating brain damage from concussions. The NHL may lose their most promising young superstar, Sidney Crosby, to long-term concussion effects. I was surprised to learn from the article that it was as common in football (soccer) as those other sports.

I see players out with concussion all the time, for years... It's not an injury that I've ever thought was missing or too infrequent in the game nor is it an injury that I thought wasn't a common footballing injury. I've been involved in matches where players have suffered concussion though, so that's probably why I'm more aware than others?

Can't judge whether their frequency needs to be adjusted or not, but it is clearly a big issue in other contact sports like American football and ice hockey where even the use of helmets haven't prevented long-term debilitating brain damage from concussions. The NHL may lose their most promising young superstar, Sidney Crosby, to long-term concussion effects. I was surprised to learn from the article that it was as common in football (soccer) as those other sports.

I think the football/soccer authorities in North America take concussions much more seriously than those in Europe do (see SAF's comments about Hernandez during the pre-season). Could be because prevalence of collision sports (American and Canadian football, ice hockey) has made us more aware of their effects.

Could be that it just doesn't happen as much over here for whatever reason. I have never heard of anybody in England suffering head injuries repeatedly in the way that some of the cases in that article have. It would be like if John Terry suffered that kick in the head he got in the Carling Cup final once a season. It just doesn't happen, nor has anybody in the EPL retired from Concussion as far as I'm aware, even Petr Cech's carried on.

As far as I am aware football isn't a collision or full contact sport, in fact I believe it is supposed to be a minimal contact sport. Shoulder charging is the only legitimate, deliberate physical contact allowed, and then only within a certain distance of the ball, and not in a careless or reckless manner, or using excessive force. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Accidents do happen of course, but I would expect the incidence and severity of concussion to be far less in football than in sports like those mentioned above, and even less frequent if everyone played by the rules.

Speaking of which, when was the 'hand off' introduced into football? If it wasn't for the prams and toys all over the pitch I would swear sometimes I was watching passages of play from a terrible rugby match. :D

As far as I am aware football isn't a collision or full contact sport, in fact I believe it is supposed to be a minimal contact sport. Shoulder charging is the only legitimate, deliberate physical contact allowed, and then only within a certain distance of the ball, and not in a careless or reckless manner, or using excessive force. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Accidents do happen of course, but I would expect the incidence and severity of concussion to be far less in football than in sports like those mentioned above, and even less frequent if everyone played by the rules.

Speaking of which, when was the 'hand off' introduced into football? If it wasn't for the prams and toys all over the pitch I would swear sometimes I was watching passages of play from a terrible rugby match. :D

Did you the article in the OP? The numbers actually indicate that concussions in football trail only american football, and are actually higher than ice hockey.

I've been playing FM only since FM10 came out, but I've played probably 20 seasons and can't remember seeing any concussions. Maybe I've just been 'lucky'.

I've been watching English football for over 10 and I've never seen anything like the numbers of players out with concussion that article suggests. Maybe its a problem with MLS refereeing or something, and the laws on dangerous play aren't as thoroughly enforced as they are in Europe. Besides which I'm not accepting the findings of any report which calls football 'soccer'.

'According to a 2007 study of soccer concussions in the Journal of Athletic Training, 67.7 percent of them are caused by player-to-player contact, 18.3 percent due to player-to-ball contact, 13.4 percent due to player-to-surface contact and less than 1 percent due to player-to-goalpost contact. That would mean 86 percent of concussions result directly from heading'

Absolute lol. Not all player to player concussions are caused while heading the ball.

'Take headers out of the game until the teenage years'

FFS...

Concussion can be caused by a ball in the face, why do you think players in a wall put their arms if not across their face, in a position to be able to should they need to? Imagine having your nose on the end of Frank Lampard's free-kick... that'd hurt... a lot!

Similarly, falling awkwardly when challenging aerially and landing on or banging your head can cause concussion. Head to head, obviously, as with boot to head.. getting hit on the back of the head unexpectedly (I think there is a YT video of such an occurrence but I won't try find it).. I'd wager that there are players who are suffering from a mild concussion of some sort at the end of almost every match regardless of the level they play, it's almost inevitable given the nature of the sport.

I've been watching English football for over 10 and I've never seen anything like the numbers of players out with concussion that article suggests. Maybe its a problem with MLS refereeing or something, and the laws on dangerous play aren't as thoroughly enforced as they are in Europe. Besides which I'm not accepting the findings of any report which calls football 'soccer'.

'According to a 2007 study of soccer concussions in the Journal of Athletic Training, 67.7 percent of them are caused by player-to-player contact, 18.3 percent due to player-to-ball contact, 13.4 percent due to player-to-surface contact and less than 1 percent due to player-to-goalpost contact. That would mean 86 percent of concussions result directly from heading'

Absolute lol. Not all player to player concussions are caused while heading the ball.

'Take headers out of the game until the teenage years'

FFS...

Going strictly by memory, there was a study done that showed a direct correlation between decreased acumen scores and football/soccer players having played a game immediately prior. Scoff if you want, but it isn't all that different from the trauma that wrestlers put themselves through. Afterall, you're still taking a soft, yet solid object that is travelling at a high rate of speed, and using your head to absorb and redirect the energy contained in it.

Did you the article in the OP? The numbers actually indicate that concussions in football trail only american football, and are actually higher than ice hockey.

I've been playing FM only since FM10 came out, but I've played probably 20 seasons and can't remember seeing any concussions. Maybe I've just been 'lucky'.

I gave up when 'nearly as likely to cause brain injury' turned out to be 22 Football, 47 American football. I'll leave the author to contemplate the impact his expose on 'Soccer's Concussion Problem' has on the world, while I wait for his next enthralling contribution to selfless non selective Journalism.

I'm still playing FM10 and I've seen it 2 or 3 times in just over 8 seasons, each injury being of short duration.

Going strictly by memory, there was a study done that showed a direct correlation between decreased acumen scores and football/soccer players having played a game immediately prior.

And it couldn't be the fatigue caused by running around for 90 minutes of course.

Archived