Have I got this right? Slider's effect on passing

Imagine the situation - our pretend player receives the ball. Through his technique and creativity stats he sees three passing options:

1. A easy short sideways ball to a teammate nearby
  2. A long crossfield ball to a winger
  3. A tough through ball to play in a striker.

A lower mentality will make him lean towards choosing the safer option 1. A higher mentality will make him more likely to choose the riskier pass number 3.

A short passing instruction will make him tend towards the short ball option 1. A longer passing instruction will make him tend toward the long option 2.

A higher tempo will make him move the ball on more quickly. A slow tempo will make him hold onto the ball a bit before passing. (How does this differ from hold up ball?)

A higher creative freedom will make him make up his own mind about the pass to play. A low creative freedom will make him pick a pass strictly according to his instructions.

Through balls often will make him choose option 3 more often, through balls rarely will make him avoid option 3, and mixed will allow him to make his own mind up based on the other sliders.

I have no idea how the decision attribute comes into play. Maybe it helps when the player has high creative freedom? So a player with a low decisions attribute should be given a low creative freedom so he does what his instructions tell him rather than making up his own mind?

Discuss :D

Creative freedom isn't creativity.

I haven't written that in my post have I?! Even I know that and I'm rubbish!

His creativity might determine whether he can even see the TB. CF, flair, TB settings and passing length on whether he'll think about trying it. Decisions on whether he does.

So the sliders actually limit the options? I always imagined that the sliders "weighted" the options and then the player chose from there. The more CF the player has, the more likely he is to pick a choice outside of the limits set by the sliders.

So a player with short passing wouldn't just have a low "weighting" on passes longer than the slider says, but it completely eliminates them as options from the player's mind (subject to creative freedom which will allow the player to override these restrictions)?

So a player with short passing wouldn't just have a low "weighting" on passes longer than the slider says, but it completely eliminates them as options from the player's mind (subject to creative freedom which will allow the player to override these restrictions)?

It doesn't matter whether it eliminates them or that he doesn't choose them, the outcome is the same, he'll favour shorter passes as per his instructions. And yes, I think that a high CF will allow him to give you the finger and play a long ball if he thinks it is on. I agree with wwfan on how a player decides what is on and what isn't.

Conversely a long passing length won't mean he is 'weighted' towards long passes, just that he isn't encouraged to only play short balls. When I shout 'Get the Ball forward' my defenders don't tend to aimlessly hoof the ball forwards but they might try a long ball more often than without the shout. If used the shout an brought on an additional striker then they might well hoof it forwards because with more bodies to aim at it makes more sense to play it long.

Archived