[Discussion thread] MLS Management in your Career/MLS in your Saves

rancer890

Since the birth of the FM Career Updates, I've read lots of career threads, from one club career saves with a specific team, to Continental Challenge career saves, the 'Small Club to Big Club Challenges' in either England, or in Europe. As the FM fanbase is predominately from the UK, it's understandable to see lots of saves based in England/Scotland (although I really haven't seen those much..)/Wales/N. Ireland.

One thing I've noticed (well probably more than others) is the fact that people don't go into MLS management. I know that DodgeeD managed with TFC in his award winning thread last year, but I haven't really seen any threads with MLS management at all. Mind, I'm part of the guilty party as I did reject TFC once in my other FM11 (or was it FM10...) career :D.

Firstly, would you consider loading the league and managing in MLS? Explain either way. It's not really that hard if you follow some American sports since they all follow the same model with transactions. Yes, trading (ahem, part-exchanges!) players (and allocation money, international slots, DP slots,and draft picks..) maybe a little challenging but it's really easy once you've done it a few times. Drafting isn't hard. Choose the best player and pick him. In FM11, you have to either be top 2 in your conference, or get the other 4 'wildcard' spots based on team record. Playoffs are over two legs till the final at a neutral venue. It's all still football. Yes, some things are different, but at the end of the day, the objective is the score the most goals and win...whether you're playing MLS or playing in the Premier League.

And secondly, if you did load MLS, how are the quality of players that develop there and then go over to Europe and be successful? I'm always interested if there's some players that develop in MLS and then go abroad to Europe and become good or great players.

I can rant an entire essay about how MLS is implemented in FM and how it can be improved but I won't go into that. :D

One thing I'm happy about though is the number of Canadian and American people who play FM that I know through FMCU. It's a lot better than before and hopefully SI get more serious about coding a realistic MLS (there is some hope now since there's coder exclusively for MLS I've heard) because the more fans that like soccer here, the more fans that will know FM and play the game.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6415/lewisg.jpg

That's the best player to come out of the MLS on my save from Houston(PDL). I always load the MLS to try and win the North American Champions League but usually end up at a Mexican club and to be fair the American teams are very easy to beat normally. I think I told you before but I got annoyed when I took over LA Galaxy and signed Ozil holidayed to the next match and they released him so I went to an earlier save and never returned.

I would like a career there not sure how much you can raise the rep of the MLS but it would be interesting to find out.

I love the Americam system of trading, drafting and picks? But the whole idea of managing in the MLS is frankly, a bit of a turnoff. I don't like the idea of one league is all. Now if the collegiate system was implemented and you could manage your way up through the various levels, then fine. But otherwise, I'm not interested.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6415/lewisg.jpg

That's the best player to come out of the MLS on my save from Houston(PDL). I always load the MLS to try and win the North American Champions League but usually end up at a Mexican club and to be fair the American teams are very easy to beat normally. I think I told you before but I got annoyed when I took over LA Galaxy and signed Ozil holidayed to the next match and they released him so I went to an earlier save and never returned.

I would like a career there not sure how much you can raise the rep of the MLS but it would be interesting to find out.

Not a bad player at all. How are the USMNT and the C(anadian)MNT in that save?

MLS isn't the best league to deal with while holidaying because anyone who isn't registered is immediately waived.

I love the Americam system of trading, drafting and picks? But the whole idea of managing in the MLS is frankly, a bit of a turnoff. I don't like the idea of one league is all. Now if the collegiate system was implemented and you could manage your way up through the various levels, then fine. But otherwise, I'm not interested.

Expansion of the US leagues is something a lot Canadian and US based FM players have always wanted, but I'm 99.9% sure that SI won't add more leagues because of the existence of the league editor. They wouldn't even bother adding USL (now NASL). In the meantime though, I make do with this. It's not 100% realistic with the real life US lower leagues, but at least you can draft players from college.

EHM had the US colleges but they were not playable and the names were faked. I wouldn't even mind that in FM.

It'd be a no from me. Generally the whole idea of no promotion/relegation goes against what FM is to me (as I'm a 'small club to big club' kind of player) but then there's a general lack of interest for me in clubs over there. Can't really explain why as I'd take on a Welsh career, maybe it's the lack of European football (but then I'd happily play in Mexico or Argentina, so who knows?)

Either way, it's one I'd steer clear from.

I haven't managed in MLS as of yet, but I do have the league loaded. I was kind of turned off it this past year because I had been hoping for my Vancouver Whitecaps to be included. After I found out I had still another year to wait, I grew apathetic. I do still plan of managing in MLS but it might be in FM12 rather than FM11.

Not a bad player at all. How are the USMNT and the C(anadian)MNT in that save?

MLS isn't the best league to deal with while holidaying because anyone who isn't registered is immediately waived.

USA are ranked 10th in the world despite not really winning that much. It's 2031 and they won the Gold Cup in 2011, 2015 and 2019, runner up in the 2020 Olympics and three times third place in the U-20 World Cup. Never made it past quarter finals in the World didn't go to the 2014 one and failed to make it out of the groups stage three times.

Canada are ranked 77th Gold Cup runners up in 2013, 2017, 2021 and 2025. Never lost a Final to the USA though lost to Mexico three times and Costa Rica once. Made all World Cups apart from 2030 and 2022. Just had a player move to Man United for £18.25 million.

I registered Ozil and an American DMC I paid 325k for and then holidayed and both were waived when I returned, hoping for some improvements in the MLS in FM12.

I have the league loaded and want to have a go at managing in it as it is something I have not done before.I'll probably takeover a club once I'm done with what I am doing in Romania.I think it's an interesting system which is why I want to have a go at it.

As for top players:-

Robbie Cobian - Started at Cleveland - Played in USA till 2015/16 where he played in Mexico.Joined AS Roma in 2017 and is still there (Currently in 2025)

Alan Rodriguez - Started at DFW Tornados in 2016,played in USA till 2019 where he joined Swiss side Lugano before joining Hertha Berlin in 2021.

Adrian Gonzalez - Started at Western Mass in 2018,spent four seasons at three different clubs in the MLS (Chivas USA,Columbus and New York) before joining La Liga side Salamanca in 2022.

Tom Morris - Started at Westchester in 2020,joined Seattle in 2021 where he was a first team regular before joining Belgian side Lokeren in 2023.Currently has interest from Bayer Leverkusen (Ranked as 2nd best team in Germany behind Bayern Munich)

Kieran Gardner - Bit of a journeyman,started at Schulz Academy in 2010,Spent from 2011-2018 playing in the MLS in which he turned out for five teams!Moved to APOEL in 2018 and spent two season there before spending a season in France at Lille and then a season in Ukraine for Metalist.He joined current club Benfica in 2022 and is a first team regular.

Emiliano Blondet - Started at Westchester in 2014.Appeared for New England,San Jose and New York between 2015 and 2018.Spent two and a half seasons in Norwauy with Lillestrom before moving to Serbian side Rad Beograd where he was at for a season and a half.Joined Turkish side Kayserispor where he was there for a season before moving to AZ this season.

It'd be a no from me. Generally the whole idea of no promotion/relegation goes against what FM is to me (as I'm a 'small club to big club' kind of player) but then there's a general lack of interest for me in clubs over there. Can't really explain why as I'd take on a Welsh career, maybe it's the lack of European football (but then I'd happily play in Mexico or Argentina, so who knows?)

Either way, it's one I'd steer clear from.

Fair enough withnail. The lack of promotion/relegation does even gets me bored of the league eventually so I can imagine those of you who would turned off against MLS for that reason.

One thing I'm interested is whether there is any media coverage about MLS in Europe. Is it possible to watch an MLS game from channels like ESPN America and Fox (and soon to be NBC next season)? We get EPL, Serie A, and La Liga sometimes here in Canada.

I haven't managed in MLS as of yet, but I do have the league loaded. I was kind of turned off it this past year because I had been hoping for my Vancouver Whitecaps to be included. After I found out I had still another year to wait, I grew apathetic. I do still plan of managing in MLS but it might be in FM12 rather than FM11.

I felt the same when TFC wasn't in FM07 but in FM08. I'm happy that Vancouver Whitecaps will be in FM12 and Montreal Impact in FM13. I'll have more Canadian teams to manage in the future. :D

USA are ranked 10th in the world despite not really winning that much. It's 2031 and they won the Gold Cup in 2011, 2015 and 2019, runner up in the 2020 Olympics and three times third place in the U-20 World Cup. Never made it past quarter finals in the World didn't go to the 2014 one and failed to make it out of the groups stage three times.

Canada are ranked 77th Gold Cup runners up in 2013, 2017, 2021 and 2025. Never lost a Final to the USA though lost to Mexico three times and Costa Rica once. Made all World Cups apart from 2030 and 2022. Just had a player move to Man United for £18.25 million.

I registered Ozil and an American DMC I paid 325k for and then holidayed and both were waived when I returned, hoping for some improvements in the MLS in FM12.

I'm not really surprised. the USMNT don't seem to do very well in the future WCs in my save as well, and Canada always seem to get in despite the real life team I watch being terrible at times. Nice to see that Canadians are populating one of the world's most popular teams as well. :thup: (and I've seen some other saves have very good Canadians too here!)

I have the league loaded and want to have a go at managing in it as it is something I have not done before.I'll probably takeover a club once I'm done with what I am doing in Romania.I think it's an interesting system which is why I want to have a go at it.

As for top players:-

Robbie Cobian - Started at Cleveland - Played in USA till 2015/16 where he played in Mexico.Joined AS Roma in 2017 and is still there (Currently in 2025)

Alan Rodriguez - Started at DFW Tornados in 2016,played in USA till 2019 where he joined Swiss side Lugano before joining Hertha Berlin in 2021.

Adrian Gonzalez - Started at Western Mass in 2018,spent four seasons at three different clubs in the MLS (Chivas USA,Columbus and New York) before joining La Liga side Salamanca in 2022.

Tom Morris - Started at Westchester in 2020,joined Seattle in 2021 where he was a first team regular before joining Belgian side Lokeren in 2023.Currently has interest from Bayer Leverkusen (Ranked as 2nd best team in Germany behind Bayern Munich)

Kieran Gardner - Bit of a journeyman,started at Schulz Academy in 2010,Spent from 2011-2018 playing in the MLS in which he turned out for five teams!Moved to APOEL in 2018 and spent two season there before spending a season in France at Lille and then a season in Ukraine for Metalist.He joined current club Benfica in 2022 and is a first team regular.

Emiliano Blondet - Started at Westchester in 2014.Appeared for New England,San Jose and New York between 2015 and 2018.Spent two and a half seasons in Norwauy with Lillestrom before moving to Serbian side Rad Beograd where he was at for a season and a half.Joined Turkish side Kayserispor where he was there for a season before moving to AZ this season.

I would love Canada to have that kind of talent... :(

Any good Canadians other than Robert William in your save?

I have the MLS running on my career and certainly intend to head there at some point.

As for the best Canadian, may I introduce Marco Clark. He's coming to the end of his career now but has been a bit of a 'name' in the Bundesliga for the last ten years. He began at Western Massachussets, went to Kongsvinger for a season in Norway before moving to Germany. He spent 3 years at Frankfurt before Wolves signed him for £4.5m. 2 years of Premiership football later and Leverkusen prised him away for £9m. He's been there for 8 years now.

Fair enough withnail. The lack of promotion/relegation does even gets me bored of the league eventually so I can imagine those of you who would turned off against MLS for that reason.

One thing I'm interested is whether there is any media coverage about MLS in Europe. Is it possible to watch an MLS game from channels like ESPN America and Fox (and soon to be NBC next season)? We get EPL, Serie A, and La Liga sometimes here in Canada.

There is indeed coverage of the MLS, at least in the UK. Back in the days when I had ESPN, there'd be an MLS game on at least once a week, although now I only have Sky Sports I'm not as sure. Either way, you can watch any MLS fixture you like through the betting websites etc...so the coverage is there.

Again though, for me the biggest problem is not only the promotion/relegation aspect, but also the continental football side of it. I know the CONCACAF Champions League exists, but even the Mexican sides play their reserves throughout most of the competition. For me to be interested in playing over there the Copa Libertadores would have to be an option, which is very unlikely I'd suggest.

To be honest, I think you get the odd MLS game and the Final was definitely on last year, but not much to be honest, mainly Galaxy & NY Red Bulls stories in the national papers (small columns), simply because of Beckham, Keane, Henry et al

ESPN used to show quite a few MLS games, not seen any on there for awhile though. I watched a few a couple of season a go because I am a Crewe fan(and Sunderland) and a Crewe player called Baudet moved to the MLS so I was interested in seeing how he got on. He went to Colorado and then moved to Seattle Sounders but judging from his Wiki page he is now a free agent and never played for Seattle.

ESPN used to show quite a few MLS games, not seen any on there for awhile though. I watched a few a couple of season a go because I am a Crewe fan(and Sunderland) and a Crewe player called Baudet moved to the MLS so I was interested in seeing how he got on. He went to Colorado and then moved to Seattle Sounders but judging from his Wiki page he is now a free agent and never played for Seattle.

Julien Baudet. Legend. His penalty saved my beloved Notts County from almost certain extinction a few years ago. He also had a trial at my other team, Celtic. (Sorry, I know I'm way off topic!)

There is a few others actually (although there nowhere near William's talent!) so no need to feel down :D

Canada's top players: -

Roberto William - Plays at Roma,number one keeper.

Steven Imhof - Plays for Sevilla who are a top six side in Spain.A regular starter for them.

Alex Hattrell - Plays for Dutch side Feyenoord who are still one of the Dutch big boys in 2025.

Guadalupe Corona - A Canadian/Mexican just like Roberto William,currently playing for Tigres.Quite surprised he has not been out side the American continent!

Junior Hoilett - On his way down now but is still regarded as one of the top players.Played for clubs such as Lazio (7 seasons),Villarreal (3 seasons) and Tottenham (3 seasons).

Jaime Imhof - Another golden oldie who has spent the majority of his career in Holland and Germany.

and one for the future....Adam Lewis - Scouted him while I was at Roma and he had 3* PA in Serie A so there is talent there but give it a few years to develop.

I usually wait until my "manager" has the lower league experience before travelling to the MLS. There are a few annoying things that go with it, and it is easy to become bored but I do look forward to the additional teams to be added in the next version. :)

I don't see it as a long time save but certainly fun for a couple seasons or so.

I always have MLS loaded, but didn't end up there in FM '11.

I'm always of mixed opinion about loading MLS. SI doesn't really capture the full spectrum of squad management (like teams will offer you draft picks for players, but you can't offer them a player for their picks. Although this may have been fixed)

I'm a little worried about FM '12, since SI is centralizing the research with the head North American researcher, instead having club-specific researchers (many of whom are supporters of the club they're researching) like with every other league in the game. Although supposedly there's going to be a dedicated coder, so maybe they'll get all the player acquisition methods in.

I had the MLS loaded in my FM10 save, but for some reason, never ended up there. I didn't load it for FM11 as a lot of people were saying how buggy/poorly implemented it was, so that kind of put me off.

I may consider loading it for FM12, however, it's definitely not one of my 'must have' leagues. I'm a bit like this with Australia too, as the single tier league structure is a bit of a turn off for me. I am open to persuasion though!

Julien Baudet. Legend. His penalty saved my beloved Notts County from almost certain extinction a few years ago. He also had a trial at my other team, Celtic. (Sorry, I know I'm way off topic!)

I really liked him and was annoyed he left Crewe but the money he was being offered was a lot more than we would have paid him.

I had the MLS loaded in my FM10 save, but for some reason, never ended up there. I didn't load it for FM11 as a lot of people were saying how buggy/poorly implemented it was, so that kind of put me off.

I may consider loading it for FM12, however, it's definitely not one of my 'must have' leagues. I'm a bit like this with Australia too, as the single tier league structure is a bit of a turn off for me. I am open to persuasion though!

I had loads of fun in the A-League on FM10 never got round to it on FM11 though.

I always have MLS loaded, but didn't end up there in FM '11.

I'm always of mixed opinion about loading MLS. SI doesn't really capture the full spectrum of squad management (like teams will offer you draft picks for players, but you can't offer them a player for their picks. Although this may have been fixed)

I'm a little worried about FM '12, since SI is centralizing the research with the head North American researcher, instead having club-specific researchers (many of whom are supporters of the club they're researching) like with every other league in the game. Although supposedly there's going to be a dedicated coder, so maybe they'll get all the player acquisition methods in.

That's one thing that turned me off when I heard about it in the FMNorthAmerica forums. I think having the North American HR doing all the researching isn't a good idea.

The trading model needs improvements with what you just explained with the fact you can't offer them players and such. I find that SI don't make it any easier for someone who has no knowledge of the American transfer systems and get all confused with trading players. In the scouting recommendations they all say 'Team A is not interested in selling Player X' making the user even more confused on what's needed to acquire a specific player. We need scouting reports specifically when you manage an MLS club and trying to acquire players in the league.

I always get hopeful SI at least fix some of the bugs (some I've seen from FM08 ffs) but if they fix one bug another one always pops up.

I've got the MLS loaded in my career save and there's not a large amount of players who have gone on to be successful in Europe but, here are a few :

Tyler Holden - History

Larry West - History

Kevin Caldwell - History

Alex Hernandez - History

The U.S.A also have an exellent playing for the national team, Jesus Alarcon . However, he was born and developed in Mexico.

That's one thing that turned me off when I heard about it in the FMNorthAmerica forums. I think having the North American HR doing all the researching isn't a good idea.

Yeah, you might have seen in the North American Soccer thread over in the Football Forum, but Daaaaave (head of the Timbers Army supporters group) said he was going to recommend to TA members that they buy FIFA '12 instead of FM.

I had a go with LA Galaxy a while back, but found it a very frustrating experience. There are so many restrictions in terms of how you obtain youth players, how low the budgets are, which players you can buy and so on, I didn't have enough freedom to really do what I wanted with the team. Had a similar experience managing a B-team in Spain, and realised it just isn't for me.

I quite like being able to remould a club over a long period of time in a certain style or image, and the MLS was too restrictive for that. Or at least so it seemed. It also didn't help that my top striker had a huge crisis of confidence for no reason and then the whole team's form collapsed :D

• 1 month later...
I have loaded the MLS but with my nationality, it's unlikely I'll be offered a job there but I would definitely consider.

MLS clubs tend to hire foreigners in this, I've noticed. A lot of Dutch managers have been brought into the league. There isn't a whole lot of American promotion going on.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is,for "us" Europeans,promotion/relegation is such a big part of football and football history.It's about dreams of your club tasting various heights of success.Knowing that my club would always be in this division no matter what they did/or never get to the big time no matter what they do would render football useless for me.

I come from a small community in Norway and "my" club had its relative heyday from 1968ish to -75ish with 4 seasons in the top flight (yoyo style) and the buzz was incredible,and I actually think it's sad that so many US communities never get to experience that part of football. :) My 2 cents.

The thing is,for "us" Europeans,promotion/relegation is such a big part of football and football history.It's about dreams of your club tasting various heights of success.Knowing that my club would always be in this division no matter what they did/or never get to the big time no matter what they do would render football useless for me.

I come from a small community in Norway and "my" club had its relative heyday from 1968ish to -75ish with 4 seasons in the top flight (yoyo style) and the buzz was incredible,and I actually think it's sad that so many US communities never get to experience that part of football. :) My 2 cents.

I think this is true too. For exmple, the last few weeks have seen discussions regarding scrapping relegation in the English Premier League. Apparently 9 or so chairman are for the idea, meaning that only a couple more are needed to get the majority vote. Me personally, I can't think of a worse idea. What makes English football so entertaining is the promotion/relegation fights on the last day of the season. It wouldn't be the same without promotion/relegation.

My opinion about MLS in my saves is that it doesn't enter my saves. I have every respect for the americans' attempts to play the game and organize it their way, but it's far too complicated for me to want to get my head around it. I've tried it once, was a total nightmare, I didn't understand anything.

To be honest, I'd like to load every league if possible, and MLS isn't the last that I ever pick, i've just never happened to manage there. Can't say I've ever picked up on an opportunity ever being available when i've been free for a job. Definitely going to look out for it though, having realised i've never done it

Promotion and relegation simply couldn't work in America, at least not now. In places like England, you have really established lower divisions with lots of history and all of that. In the US, we have a huge gap between the top division and the lower divisions. Just as a brief snapshot, the average attendance in MLS this season was 17,869. In the NASL (American Second Division), the average was 3,770. That number includes Montreal (12,397), who are moving to MLS next season. If you subtract Montreal from the NASL's numbers for this year, their average attendance was 2,664. There simply aren't enough viable teams in the lower divisions for promotion and relegation to be reasonably applied to the United States soccer structure.

Promotion and relegation simply couldn't work in America, at least not now. In places like England, you have really established lower divisions with lots of history and all of that. In the US, we have a huge gap between the top division and the lower divisions. Just as a brief snapshot, the average attendance in MLS this season was 17,869. In the NASL (American Second Division), the average was 3,770. That number includes Montreal (12,397), who are moving to MLS next season. If you subtract Montreal from the NASL's numbers for this year, their average attendance was 2,664. There simply aren't enough viable teams in the lower divisions for promotion and relegation to be reasonably applied to the United States soccer structure.

^^ More or less that. Teams also pay a lot of money to become a part of MLS and they won't be happy to invest money into the club (and sometimes in improving facilities). And only a handful of these franchises are making money (only RBNY, LA, and the newer franchises like TFC and maybe the Cascadia franchises are making money).

There's many countries where the gap in finances and attendance from the 1st to the 2nd tier is huge, that's certainly not a problem exclusive of the United States. Even in England where the attendances are freakishly high for all lower leagues as the fans are incredibly loyal to their local sides, the financial gap between the Championship and the Premier League is so enormous that the teams are given huge bonuses when they get promoted, and huge parachute payments when they get relegated to avoid financial collapse.

Again, the US have every right to organize the league their own way - personally I'm not a fan of closed shops at all though. And the longer you keep it a closed shop, the more the problem is going to exacerbate itself.

the average attendance in MLS this season was 17,869. In the NASL (American Second Division), the average was 3,770.

Not really an argument,in Norway the avg in the premier div is around 9000 and in the first div around 1500,2nd div around 4-500.

Only the premier is fully professional,still teams coming up can do well.

Montreal are moving to MLS next season

And this quite frankly makes MLS a joke. Sorry :(

Not really an argument,in Norway the avg in the premier div is around 9000 and in the first div around 1500,2nd div around 4-500.

Only the premier is fully professional,still teams coming up can do well.

In the United States, promotion/relegation is a solution without a problem. There's no point until there are enough clubs to actually populate two divisions. Right now, you have major operations in MLS and then you have fly-by-night clubs in the lower divisions that are shoestring operations perpetually on the brink of financial collapse. Nobody would benefit from a system of pro/rel. The lower division clubs don't have the financial backing to meet MLS standards.

If there's ever pro/rel in the US -- and there probably won't be -- it will be an outgrowth of MLS, much like the J.League's expansion.

And this quite frankly makes MLS a joke. Sorry :(

I can't wait to hear the rationale for this...

Archived