[Discussion] Stagnation - what do you do?

snootyjim

So, managers of small(ish) clubs trying to build them up, how do you deal with stagnation? I'm actually managing in the Premiership at the moment, but I finished 10th in my first season, 9th in my second, and sit at 10th presently with not much hope of climbing above 9th.

Finances aren't really improving, because I'm spending quite a lot on youth transfers to flesh out my very small squad, and attendances show little sign of improving. I spend half of the season trying to convince my players to stay, without ever receiving genuine offers. If I got £20m offers, I wouldn't mind, and would just sell up, but most of the time they moan a lot, get unhappy, and I wind up selling them for less than it will cost to buy an adequate replacement.

A suggestion I've seen a fair bit on these boards is that you need to move clubs, because you as a manager have exceeded the capabilities of the club itself, but I don't particularly want to do that - and I guess many in the Careers forum would be of the same ilk. Getting a job at Arsenal/City/Chelsea/United is probably possible, or even Blackburn and build them up a bit, but it's not exactly fulfilling. Doing that wrecked the Scottish aspect of my career save, so I'm not likely to repeat it!

So what do you actually do? Just stick at it until something comes together, or take some kind of specific action?

I always set asking prices for all my talented players. This is usually at least double their value, which will deter clubs from making petty bids which only end up unsettling the player. If they meet the asking price, and I'm willing to sell, it means I get a price I'm happy with.

Maybe you'll get yourself into Europe soon, which will offer a new challenge. Maybe target a FA/Carling Cup run. I'd probably leave if I was getting bored, but you might be close to a breakthrough, so it might be worth persevering for a bit longer.

Not a lot, regrettably. £7m is the highest. Last forced sale resulted in me losing a player for £6.75m (I offered him out at £7.5m), and I couldn't obtain a direct replacement of equal calibre for under £10m - I rely on scout reports for new players so it's a bit harder to find great players on a budget.

I have all my players with fairly high asking prices, which tends to dissuade clubs from making bids, but there's still speculation all the time, and then the players decide they're capable of playing for a bigger club and off we go. It's not too bad at the moment though, with a combination of shouting and acquiescence I've only lost 3 players to bigger fish, but there are about 6 who keep harassing me about transfers. On track for 8th now, surprisingly, so we may just be improving after all... just incredibly slowly :p

• 3 weeks later...

Had to share this :D

20110930madrid.jpg

Bit of a freak result, but nonetheless! Everything just came together the season after I posted this, and I managed to come 3rd in the Premiership, sneaking ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea - this was my first European game with Southampton!

I don't think I'll make 3rd again this year, but the Champions League money will be incredibly useful.

Archived