[FM11] In the land of the blind, the one eyed ex-scout is king...

Motherlover

Manager

Say hello to James Tomlinson. James was a Chelsea youth prospect heading towards a promising career in football until a tragic STUDS TO THE FACE incident left him blind in one eye. James' dreams of becoming a proffessional footballer were instantly shattered (much like his eye). Now he wears an eye-patch and pretends not to be bitter about the whole incident. Sometimes he almost sounds genuine. Most of the time, less so.

Instead of becoming a footballer liked he wanted, James followed in his father's footsteps and worked as a scout. He ended up working for various clubs, both in the UK and in Italy. But what James really wanted to do was to win things in football. He knew from the start that that simply wasn't possible through scouting. So he took the time to earn his coaching badges and now, at the ludicrously young age of 27, he hopes to prove to the world that he's got what it takes.

Obviously he wants to win everything there is to win, but he knows that might not be possible. At the very least he wants to manage at any one of his youth club (Chelsea), the team he supports (Everton) and the club at which he was made to feel most at home (Fiorentina). If he can do that, and win at least one piece of silverware, he thinks he might just die happy.

---

About

This is a career thread that uses the 'No Visible Attributes' modification. For those who aren't familiar with the mod, it uses an altered skin that hides all player attributes from sight and also hides scouts ability and potential star ratings.

I've played with it before and found it incredibly difficult. It's very disorientating to suddenly find yourself without concrete numbers to rely on. When signing new players you suddenly find yourself having to rely more heavily on things that never seemed that important before:

> The opinions of your scouts.

> A player's perfomance stats.

> A player's pedigree and club career path.

> A player's perfomances against you.

> A player's experiance in your current league.

> Match-of-the-day highlights.

> Personal scouting trips.

That said I also found it very rewarding. I've been playing the series since 00/01 and FM 11 is, on balance, probably my favourite iteration. That said I also found it the easiest to win at since 2007. However with the additional challenge I think i'm going to enjoy FM more than ever.

---

Personal Rules

> Absolutely no peeking at the attributes of any players anywhere.

> Salary matters. My manager won't take a job for lower wages without a really good reason.

> No resigning unless desperate/about to be fired.

> No reloads or exploits, including the Attack Far Post bug.

> No looking at staff attributes. Only hire based on experiance/reputation.

> I will allow myself to use the Player Search, but only in a very limited way:

I can search for players, but each search must include at least three relevent variables that relate to a certain 'aspect' of a player's game. Additionally all of the variables have to use the same number in intervals of 3 (i'm going to use 4,7,10,13,16).

So for example if I wanted to search for players who were 'very fit' I might search for Natural Fitness, Stamina and Workrate, all 13>

Meanwhile if I wanted to search for players who were 'composed in front of goal' I might search for Finishing, Composure, Balance and Technique, all 10>

My thinking is that this will at least approximate received wisdom about players, whilst still leaving a lot of room for doubt and uncertainty.

---

Updates

I'm a really slow player. In the past it has taken me two weeks to finish a season and I know that using no attributes will only slow me down. With that in mind I plan to post along the following lines:

Pre-Season Preview (June 30th)

Summer Transfer Close (September 1st)

January Transfer Close (Febuary 1st)

Late Season (April 1st)

End of Season Review (June 1st)

Worldwide Update + International Tournaments (Variable)

---

Leagues Loaded

American 1st, English 1st-4th, French 1st-2nd, Dutch 1st, German 1st, Greek 1st, Italian 1st-2nd, Portuguese 1st, Scottish 1st-2nd, Spanish 1st, Swiss 1st, Turkish 1st

---

First Update Soon!

queenofthesouthfclogo.png

Pre Season Preview - Queen of the South - 2010/11 - Scottish First Division

Media Prediction: 5th | Board Expectation: Upper Mid-Table | Personal Goal: Title Challenge

Transfer Budget: £10,000 | Wage Budget: £475,000 p/a | Wage Bill: 462,000 p/a

009034clubgroundsqospal.jpg

Stadium: Palmerston Park | Built: 1919 | Capacity: 6412 (3509 Seated)

Facilities: Adequate Corporate | Adequate Training | Adequate Youth | Fairly Basic Youth Recruitment

So Queen of the South it is. It seems like a friendly little club. Since we were promoted from the Second Division (02/03) we've consistently been a mid-table First Division side. The obvious challenge is building on that stability and get promoted into the SPL.

The team overview the staff gave me was a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand we're known to be among the most skillful and entertaining sides in the division; on the other hand we're not known for our willingness to work hard or chase down the ball. That second part will have to change.

Looking at my squad my impression is that it is a little thin defensively. We've got a decent amount of options up front, including some goalscoaring wingers, but all three first-team keepers are injured for the medium-long term and my defenders are generally thought of as slow in both mind and body.

We have a plethora of promising youth prospects, especially up-front. We also seem to have a star 22 year-old DL by the name of Bob Harris. Right now he's attracting serious interest from a host of championship clubs, so trying him down to a new contract before it expires next year is one of my priorities.

My backroom is very thin. I only have two coaches and two physios. I'll want to bring in an assistant manager with a good nose for players and some scouts who know their way around the British Isles.

As regards signings, i'll probably stick with players that I either know by reputation or that are at least proven players in the Scottish leagues. And Loan signings. I plan lots and lots of loan signings.

Archived