genuine football managers

forgive me if this sounds stupid.

i remember years ago when new football games were about to be launched the makers would often give the game to a select few professional footballers to try ( i am aware this is for marketing/promotional purposes ) but i was wondering if anyone has ever given this game to a genuine manager? just to see what they can do regarding creating tactics and how they implement them in the game???

if anything it would be interesting to see any results and to see if they can be as successful as some of the creations on this website

I don't know how great they'd be at Tactics, 50% of Tactics in the game is having knowledge of FM, what works and what doesn't. I'd be intrigued how they deal with a club day-to-day, how they sort out their Squads, what Attributes they value in their Players and Pre-Season.

Doesn't sound stupid at all.

But I would wonder how many "genuine" managers, certainly at higher levels, would have the time to play given the lengthy and often unsociable hours they work. For many managers, club management isn't exactly a 9 to 5 job. Likewise, how many would have the inclination to play a management game, having spent the best part of their day doing it for real.

That said though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a good few "genuine" managers playing the game, or at least having a tinker with it.

I am aware for example, that there's quite a few forum members who coach or manage amateur and semi-professional clubs around the world. At least a couple of those I know of have contributed over the years to the Tactics Forum. Unless they want to mention who they are themselves, I'm not going to. :p

There may well be managers at the very highest levels of the game who play FM, but I doubt we'll ever know who they are, unless they mention the game specifically in the press or during interviews. Would be quite a coup for SI Games though, if one or two top level managers mentioned that they were FM'ers though... :D

As for players and backroom staff, there's lots that play FM. For example, whilst speaking with various players and staff at Granada CF doing research for the game, I know several who are regular FM'ers.

Doesn't sound stupid at all.

But I would wonder how many "genuine" managers, certainly at higher levels, would have the time to play given the lengthy and often unsociable hours they work. For many managers, club management isn't exactly a 9 to 5 job. Likewise, how many would have the inclination to play a management game, having spent the best part of their day doing it for real.

That said though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a good few "genuine" managers playing the game, or at least having a tinker with it.

I am aware for example, that there's quite a few forum members who coach or manage amateur and semi-professional clubs around the world. At least a couple of those I know of have contributed over the years to the Tactics Forum. Unless they want to mention who they are themselves, I'm not going to. :p

There may well be managers at the very highest levels of the game who play FM, but I doubt we'll ever know who they are, unless they mention the game specifically in the press or during interviews. Would be quite a coup for SI Games though, if one or two top level managers mentioned that they were FM'ers though... :D

As for players and backroom staff, there's lots that play FM. For example, whilst speaking with various players and staff at Granada CF doing research for the game, I know several who are regular FM'ers.

cheers for the reply.

im hoping that the game has improved significantly for fm12 regarding the movement and freedom that the players have. ( ie you can only place players in specific spots on the field.also know ppl have struggled creating the alves role ( barcelona )

i understand that these managers are very busy. but couldnt the creators make a feature of it? im sure it wouldnt take long?

in the tactics screen there are numerous different formations to choose from. which you can then tweak to your own personal variations.

but how interesting would be that also in that list you can choose Fergies own creation or Wenger (along with some of the other big names and lower league ones too )

a quick interview with desired manager, he explains to the interviewer what he wants and how his team should play and creators implement in to the game, personally i think this would be a great feature for future releases :)

i also realise that this is very unlikely going to happen so i appreciate your patience while i think out loud!!! :p

Arsene Wenger and David Moyes have both admitted to using it to scout player's iirc. I'm sure there was some BBC interview where they admitted doing so.

thats a great fact, one that the creators and researches should be very proud of!!!!

however. how hard would it be to just sit him down ( before season starts ) and go through the tactics with him?

if nothing else it would be great for promotional purposes as well as commercial!

I once 'read/heard' Villas Boas likes to play. I have no idea where I heard it' date=' if it was just a dream and how correct it is.[/quote']

I actually dreamed that last night!!!

I suspect it's an urban myth, but think about it - Andreas Villas Boas is the typical FM fan's GOD. Young fans can now dream of being an FM fanatic and being 'discovered' by a modern Sir Bobby Robson and following Villas Boas' trail, without having any ability to actually play football.

Arsene Wenger and David Moyes have both admitted to using it to scout player's iirc. I'm sure there was some BBC interview where they admitted doing so.
thats a great fact, one that the creators and researches should be very proud of!!!!

however. how hard would it be to just sit him down ( before season starts ) and go through the tactics with him?

if nothing else it would be great for promotional purposes as well as commercial!

Everton actually scouted Granada CF striker Alex Geijo towards the end of last season.

I wish I could say it was because of how I'd set his attributes in FM11 possibly catching David Moyes' attention... but it's probably because he was doing so well in the Segunda last season. ;)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer likes to play FM, but with his career now at Molde i guess he has less time. Takes Molde to their first gold ever this year, in his first try as coach (most probably, still some matches to go). He must have learned a lot from FM :-)

Eidt: linkylink:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tv2.no%2Fsport%2Ffotball%2Ftippeligaen%2Fsolskjaer-ladet-opp-til-moldejobben-med-dataspill-3384102.html&act=url

My opa was a scout with FC Twente in Holland, and when he noticed me playing the game he informed me that club had sent him to identify potential targets based on FM's database. Personally, if i was a lower league manager in countries like England etc, i would use the database to find 'premier league' youth talent that's contracts are expiring. (ie feb brandy in fm11). FM really is a valuable resource.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer likes to play FM, but with his career now at Molde i guess he has less time. Takes Molde to their first gold ever this year, in his first try as coach (most probably, still some matches to go). He must have learned a lot from FM :-)

Eidt: linkylink:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tv2.no%2Fsport%2Ffotball%2Ftippeligaen%2Fsolskjaer-ladet-opp-til-moldejobben-med-dataspill-3384102.html&act=url

Thanks for that link. :)

Delighted to see he's doing so well with Molde. I'd forgotten to check how they were doing recently, so hopefully they'll clinch the title in the next few games. :thup:

My opa was a scout with FC Twente in Holland, and when he noticed me playing the game he informed me that club had sent him to identify potential targets based on FM's database. Personally, if i was a lower league manager in countries like England etc, i would use the database to find 'premier league' youth talent that's contracts are expiring. (ie feb brandy in fm11). FM really is a valuable resource.

Who is your grandpa :p?

Trappatoni used the game as club manager when they played 'unknown' teams in europe. Just to see what kind of attackers they had and so on. Even if the attributes not always was correct, they showed if a certain player was quick or strong or a good header etc.

Archived