FM Glasgow Celtic FC 2012 - Where the lord of the wings once flew in Paradise

McGougan33

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kirkham - good to see you back mate, I finished second on my first trial of the demo, however after tinkering with defending corners and freekicks, I started again, and romped the league, 12 points clear, and top of my europa league group.

Thanks man, good to be back! Going to start a new game on the demo the now and try different players and different tactics before the new game comes out.

Pretty good start for me on the full game. After the very first match I played on my save transferred over I got this new item.

DavidOwensNews_Inbox-6.png

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/DavidOwensNews_Inbox-6.png

Edit : Get in. 1-0 down at half time I give the team the hairdryer and they go out and do this in the second half.:D

CelticvRangersInformation_Overview.png

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/CelticvRangersInformation_Overview.png

Just had my first intake of youth player trialists, caught me off guard a bit as it happened in March. My coaches say this kid has the potential to be a very good player for the first team.

Hopefully I can get him progressing and make him a first teamer as a long term aim of mine in this save will be to win a CL with 11 Scots on the team.

PaulLeightonOverview_Profile-2.png

I sold Hooper earlier in the season and replaced him with a cracking Senegalese striker, Baba from Portuguese team Maritimo. He had 9 goals from 11 games in all comps and he just tore his hamstring in a game away to Aberdeen, out for the rest of the season.:mad:

At least we won the game 3-0.:)

Edit got a contender for fastest goal scored from the Aberdeen game.

DavidOwensNews_Inbox-2-1.png

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/DavidOwensNews_Inbox-2-1.png

Baba was meant to come to us irl! I take it they didnt fix the issue with him joining the club in january?

I'd forgot about that. I continued my demo save so it might just be because of that I got him in January. Lucky for me I did get him mind you, would have had to play Sammy with Bangura up front otherwise.

Alright bhoys I'm back with my copy of FM12 in toe ready to (hopefully) lead the mighty hoops to success at home and abroad.

Already found myself a decent Stopper at the back

Step forward 22 year old Ondrej Mazuch

OndrejMazuchOverview_Profile.png

Jumpinng may need a bit of work but I think he'll do well at this level

Not a bad way to seal the result needed to lift the title in my first season in charge. Will post a screeny of the league after the final game, have played 33 so far so just the post split games to go.

Currently 18 points clear with 15 still to play for, hoping to extend the points gap over the post split games.

KilmarnockvCelticInformation_Overview.png

Found it very hard to buy in players that I want to build up my team from a youth point of view.My offers get accepted but the wages stall at a maximum of £2,100 no matter what squad status I set.Anyway managed to get a couple of free transfers to shore up my right hand side of the team.Gerald Asamoah and Carlos Diogo both who look a class act and should give me a good attacking right hand side to the team.Also got two young players on loan with a view to buy anytime.Emre Can and Jonas Svensson are the two youngsters on loan and must say they both look world beaters in the making.Still alot to be done but hoping to get screen shots up later tonight with everything I have done.

Do we get a cash flow injection or anything?

No I just got the board to increase the wage budget and my player sales have let me make 1 or 2 48 month deals and my scouts have found me a bargain or 2. Sanogo and Keane were both brought to my attention as available on frees by my scouts.

I've got one massive problem now though, no transfer or wage budget left at all and Forster's loan is about to end, desperately need a keeper for next season as neither Zaluzska or Cervi are anywhere near good enough. Have panic signed an out of contract goalie (confirmed for 1st of July 2012) without scouting him but he's rubbish.

Im finding my team are settling into my tactic however its taking a while!

Be sure tu make use of match preparation, since it got incorporated into the tactics screen it's easy to forget about it but I'm sure it's one of the main reasons my teams been performing so well in the league. I use attacking movement for all league games except Rangers, I switch it to defensive positioning for them, home and away. Defensive positioning for all games in Europe and team blend on medium/high workload in between games.

How do I assign scouts to scout a region rather than a nation.I loaded up Italy , Germany , France , Spain , England , Scotland and Holland and the only scout options I get are those nations.

Works for me the same way as last year, click the scouting tab, then assignments. Click the bullet point to the left of one of your scouts name. Select add new assignment (tab at bottom right of screen). Click choose, go to where it says Regions and pick the required region from the list that pops up.

Hmm I have struggled a bit- my team has hit a bit of a dip of form- I have got 10 points out of 15 at the start of the campaign but recent performances have been very worrying. The goals have dried up a bit and the defence is looking slightly keystone cops at times.

Still, i suppose it will take time for my formation to bed in so I'll persevere with it for the meantime.

Anyone else find that they struggled a bit to begin with?

I can not get to the region part as it is dulled out so I can not click on to it.Will the become active as season progresses?.

Make sure he isn't already doing something because when i signed new scouts they went straight onto assignments from their home regeions without me setting it.

Having no reserve league is really spoiling my gaming experience here.Best part about FM was bringing in youth and watching them grow in the reserves then slowly bringing them into the first team.

Yes I know can arrange friendlies for the reserve team but just not the same and it does make the game alot harder and no doubt makes it harder in real to keep all players happy and fit.Anyway had to start again bought in far to many players then realised that I could not sell as there was no offers coming in.

Hopefully get a few hours in with new game and get things posted up later.

Celtic FC. 2011-12 Season Summary.

So that's the first season with me in charge of Celtic done and dusted and to say it was a rollercoaster would be no exaggeration.

As you may already know from my earlier posts in here my season was significantly interrupted at the half way point, due to the fact that having played through the demo with the intention of just using it to get to grips with the new game as I usually do, I found myself in the highly unusual and dilemma provoking position of having played 18 consecutive league games without losing a single one.

This meant that if I had chosen to ditch the demo save and start afresh with a new save on an increased sized database (as I have done in every previous version of FM I'd owned) I'd be kissing goodbye to a practically unassailable 15 point lead over our bitter Govan based rivals and I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

I let the demo auto-save on completion and embarked on a long and admittedly agonizing wait of almost a full 2 weeks to the release of the full game. I never touched the demo again in that entire time as I knew I'd end up deepening my dilemma if I'd had equally successful saves with other teams. I contented myself with my long term FM11 save which reached 2031 in which I enjoyed a trophy laden career in charge of Celtic, Marseille, Arsenal, Athletico Madrid and was in charge of Manchester United when FM12 was released finally ending my extended vacation as Manager of my Beloved Celtic.

Ok enough of me waffling on about the back story concerning my save game and on to the real purpose of this (probably slightly too verbose) post.:D

I had found it near impossible to bring any players of the required quality to improve the first team squad during my time playing the demo version of my save. I brought in around 9 free transfers in that time, some of whom have already been released from there contracts and the rest will be going at the end of their current deals.

Things started to improve almost instantly I started playing on the full game, my scouts provided me with a constant stream of reports from around the globe, many of the players recommended were not up to the standards I felt were needed to help the team progress, for example 1 of my scouts felt the need to highly recommend one Jimmy Bullard as a potential signing. I literally lol'd at that one I can tell you.

They did however bring my attention to one player in particular who providing he progresses half as well as he did in last years version should turn out to be one of the best signings of my managerial career this time round.

The player in question? None other than Yaya Sanogo, not only was he interested in signing for us, surprising enough in itself. He was also in the last 6 months of a contract at Auxerre and cost me nothing but wage, bonuses, loyalty and of course the usual exaggerated fee of his money grabbing agent. Should be money well spent though and I intend to build a team around him that is capable of success for many seasons to come given that I managed to acquire his services at just 19 years old.

Another notable transfer I should mention in this update is another striker and another end of contract free transfer, who also happens to be a player returning to Celtic as a player for a second spell but on a permanent contract this time round rather as a loanee like last time. That man is Robbie Kean. I'm not sure if I let sentiment get in the way of good judgement on this one to be honest as He joined very late on in the season, only played in a handful of games and has yet to find the net at all. We'll see how he goes next season and if he doesn't improve I'l have to reluctantly sell him on whilst he's still young enough to retain some market value.

My full list of transfers for this season.

CelticTransfers_History-1.png

As for how all these players in and out affected performances, well it was a very mixed bag in terms of results and a comlete reversal from how I usually geton in a first season in FM. I usually struggle to keep up with our 'old firm' rivals in the SPL but as I previously alluded to further up the page, we absolutely demolished the SPL this season, quickly rising to the top of the table and eventually sealing the title with the entire 5 match champions group split run of games still to play winning the league after the final game was over by a massive 21 points. There were e-mails arriving in my in-box on a daily basis speculating the McCoist may leave after his contract ends a the close of the season and to be frank I'm astonished that the hierarchy at his club have allowed him to continue in his position as manager right up to the point I started writing up this report, having failed so spectacularly to provide any kind of opposition to my teams rampant march towards SPL glory.

Final SPL league standings.

ClydesdaleBankPremierLeagueOverview_Stages.png

The domestic cup competitions are usually my main strength in the first season of a new FM game. That was not to be the case this time though unfortunately as we crashed out of both the league and Scottish cup to lesser opponents in results that I honestly am baffled by.

We managed to get all the way to the semi final of the league cup, giving the youngsters a run out in every round but Kilmarnock in the semis proved to be a step to far for my young guns and we succumbed to a frustrating 3-1 away defeat.

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/KilmarnockvCelticInformation_Overview-2.png

In the Scottish cup quarter final it was a strikingly similar scenario only made worse this time by the fact that it was my first team that was dumped out of the cup by a scoreline of 2-1 and again it was away to Kilmarnock (going to be our bogey team by the looks of it). Paul Heffernan seems to enjoy scoring goals against us, might have to try and sign him to put a stop to that nasty habit.;)

CelticvKilmarnockInformation_Overview.png

I was reasonably pleased by our efforts in the European campaign this season. We beat Sion 3-0 at home and lost 4-3 away, so progressed to the group stages with an aggregate score of 6-4 in our favour (if only it could've been that straight forward irl eh).

We were drawn in group D of the Europa league alongside Legia, BATE and Dynamo Kiev. I was quietly confident of progressing out of the group and was only concerned about my defence having to contend with the still very dangerous andriy Shevchenko in the Dynamo Kiev matches.

We got off to a very encouraging start with a very creditable 2-2 draw at home to Kiev bangoura and El Kaddouri netting for my team.

Next up was a potentially tricky match given Celtic's recent troubles in European away nights. Legia though provided no contest at their own ground as the succumbed to a heavy 5-0 demolition at the hands of my team with goals from Kayal, Stokes, Hooper, Rogne and Bangura.

Match 3 in the group stage saw us on our travels again and once again I managed to banish the away day hoodoo that seems to haunt our team in Europe with a 4-1 victory over BATE. Hooper and Bangura getting on the scoresheet again along with Commons and Broony.

The return match of the Bate double header proved the easiest but lowest scoring match for us in the group stage with the 2-0 scoreline failing to reflect the utter dominance my team imposed over our opponents. Stokes and Commons got the goals for us in this one.

By the time the fixture I was most fearful of before the games got underway came round our previous results had provided us with enough points to be sitting comfortably at the top of the table with our next opponents Dynamo Kiev in second place, we had already qualified and I wasn't too bothered about finishing in top spot as I knew our first knock-out round opponents would be very tough opponents no matter what. I decided to give the backup players a run out and we were trounced 5-1, Shevchenko and Gusev bagging a brace each and the rout was started by a Joe Ledley O.G. Bangura salvaged some pride for us by grabbing a consolation goal after coming on as a late sub.

The final dead rubber match was at home to Legia and we won that 3-0. James Forrest scoring a brace with Broony capping of the win that ensured we surprisingly qualified for the knockout stages as group winners with 13 points finishing 1 point ahead of Dynamo.

We faced a daunting two legged affair against tough Spanish opposition Athletic and I feared the worst with them having the very accomplished striker Fernando Llorente amongst their ranks and my fears proved well founded as he and a very talented young striker called Mario Garate scored the goals in a 2-1 defeat that left us with an uphill struggle in the return leg at our place. At least Victor Wanyama had giving us a glimmer of hope with a potentially vital away goal.

It wasn't to be though and despite having Wanyama's goal to build on we struggled to compete for the entire 2nd leg, eventually somehow managing to walk away with our heads held high having grabbed an extremely unlikely and very fortunate 2-2 draw. We were out of Europe 4-3 on aggregate but my lads had gained some good results and valuable experience in our limited cup run. I also made a mental note to keep a very close eye on the young Garate of Athletico, being 20 years old with finishing 18 and composure 15 and no obvious weaknesses to speak of he looks like he's going to become a world class striker in a few years.

I think that just about sums up my first season at Celtic except to say congratulations if you read all that and I look forward to writing many more season reports over the course of this years. I intend to only play this save this time round, so should be in here keeping you all up to date on my progress quite a lot during the next 12 months.

If anyone thinks I've missed anything or wants any more screenies just let me know and I'd be happy to oblige.

"Mon ra Hoops"

Archived