FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

I signed Cabaye on one of my Newcastle saves after the 11.3 patch and he was immense. If anything his attributes look slightly better on the Demo so far, I'm still amazed Lille let him go for such a low fee in real life. Fingers crossed I get lucky with injuries :D

It was a transfer clause. They had no option but to allow Newcastle to negotiate the transfer. I'm surprised he is at Newcastle though. A team like Arsenal or United could've used him in the centre (well, before Arteta was signed and Cleverly turned out to be good).

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad someone has finally made a thread for this season. If you have issues with the data though (looking at OP) raise them in the Data Issue thread. There's a few good youth players to look out for this season and beyond.

Campbell's an obvious prospect in the under 18s by the way the coaching staff have been talking bout him so far, Remi Streete looks to have some real potential too. Anyone else you reckon could make the grade Chris?

Anyone else concede a hell of a lot of goals from corners or IFK? I've not played many games so far, but I'd guess that around 50%+ of all my goals conceded have been through set pieces.

I haven't noticed a huge problem on that front, but to be fair we have scored several from IFKs.

Sold Haris Vuckic to Man City for £5mil... Used that to buy Thiago from Barca for £20mil over 48 months... Also, just done Arsenal 4-1 with no Cabaye or Hatem... Marveaux is immense as AML Advanced Playmaker Attack...

Playing 4231Deep.

GK : SwK D : Krul

DR : WB S : Simpson

DCR : BP S : Dawson (WBA)

DCL : BP Cv : Captain Colo'

DL : FB Stp : Santon

DMRCR : DLPM S : Cabaye [PM]

DMCL : Anchor D : Tiote

AMR : DW S : Jonas / AP A : Obertan

AMC : AttMd A : Thiago (Barca)

AML : APM A : Marveaux

SC : TM S : Ba [TM Run]

On the report cards for each player it tells you their tactical role for each position you check them for...

So you can sell players without having top wait 6 months now? (With regards to Marveaux) And congrats to all those who shifted Smith on, I didn't even bother trying, maybe I should have. And yeah, DandyDon this demo isn't hard. Almost EVERY contributor to the Spurs thread for example has them winning their tits off. I realise that Spurs are good, but they aren't so good that almost every player should be leading the league with them.

So you can sell players without having top wait 6 months now? (With regards to Marveaux) And congrats to all those who shifted Smith on, I didn't even bother trying, maybe I should have. And yeah, DandyDon this demo isn't hard. Almost EVERY contributor to the Spurs thread for example has them winning their tits off. I realise that Spurs are good, but they aren't so good that almost every player should be leading the league with them.

I notice Spurs seem to be going great guns under the AI on the Demo too, currently sitting joint top with Man City on my save. Both still unbeaten.

Anyone else concede a hell of a lot of goals from corners or IFK? I've not played many games so far, but I'd guess that around 50%+ of all my goals conceded have been through set pieces.

NewcastlevSwanseaTVView.png

Might have spoken too soon about corners and IFKs. This game was 3-3 inside 20 minutes, we went 3-0 up with our first three efforts on goal, Swansea then came back to equalise with their first three efforts. Of those first 6 goals, 3 were from corners and one from an IFK.

Finished 7-4 to us in the end.

I wish I could say I was surprised..!

They didn't quite manage to keep it up to the end of the demo, Man City finally lost a game, and Spurs must have had bit of a slump and have lost 4 :p We've managed to sneak above Chelsea and Liverpool into 4th spot.

Star performer up to January not surprisingly is Yohann Cabaye, 19 appearances 6 goals and 15 assists in all. The other standout has been Steven Taylor who chipped in with 6 goals and an average rating of 7.55.

Finally got round to playing the demo and my Newcastle team has taken the Premier League by storm. Sitting 2nd in the league mainly thanks to my newly signed Ivorian strike force in Wilfried and my FM2011 favourite Lacina Traore.

I sold Jonas, Shola, Best, Lovenkrands and Harper bringing in the two Ivorians along with Andy King, Wayne Bridge on loan and Gyfli Sigurdsson.

League.jpg

Stats.jpg

Traore.jpg

How much did Traore set you back? If anything he looks a much better striker than last year.

My demo save not going quite as well as most people, after 9 games I'm in the bottom half with a record of W:2, D:2, L:5. I'm hoping with Ben Arfa and Wilfried retuning from injury I can salvage something from this demo season.

Well, I'll definately start a newcastle game when the full game comes out (I'm not a fan of starting game son the demo due to not being able to load all the leagues I want). Can anyone upload a screenshot of Demba Ba? He's been one of my favourite players on FM for years (I actually signed him for Newcastle on FM10) and I want to know if he's good enough for that AML slot as I used to play him, or should I start him in the ST position.

Very tempted like a load of you guys to bring in Sturridge on loan. Anyone manage to get Chelsea to agree a future fee for a full transfer? And if so, how much?

From what I've read, I'll invest in a new fullback, a covering CM (both key), and then depending on what funds are left over, maybe a new ST or winger....

How is Alan Smith's mental stats on this game? Is he still an epic tutor?

I just lost that same fixture by the same scoreline :(

They scored from a corner within 7 minutes, but Jonas equalised around 75 minutes. All was going well, was attacking and attacking, it was surely only a matter of time until I scored the winner! Taylor (Steven) and Ben Arfa hit the post (Ben Arfa completely missing an open goal) and Tiote almost scored, doing exactly the same as against Arsenal, only he hit the crossbar..

Then in the 96th minute (of only 3 added! :( ) legendary defender Titus Bramble scored the winner, from a CORNER. Needless to say, the fans aren't too happy! Still, at least we're in 6th place 10 games in.

Edit: Just checked, and my job is very insecure (39%) :( and the press conference says I fielded no locals, despite Taylor playing the whole game...

Edit: Just checked, and my job is very insecure (39%) :( and the press conference says I fielded no locals, despite Taylor playing the whole game...

Should log that as a bug as its using his Place of Birth, even though he's lived most of his life in the North-East (not that the game would know).

Well, I'll definately start a newcastle game when the full game comes out (I'm not a fan of starting game son the demo due to not being able to load all the leagues I want). Can anyone upload a screenshot of Demba Ba? He's been one of my favourite players on FM for years (I actually signed him for Newcastle on FM10) and I want to know if he's good enough for that AML slot as I used to play him, or should I start him in the ST position.

Very tempted like a load of you guys to bring in Sturridge on loan. Anyone manage to get Chelsea to agree a future fee for a full transfer? And if so, how much?

From what I've read, I'll invest in a new fullback, a covering CM (both key), and then depending on what funds are left over, maybe a new ST or winger....

How is Alan Smith's mental stats on this game? Is he still an epic tutor?

Some screenies for you mate

Demba Ba

DembaBaOverview_Attributes.png

Alan Smith

AlanSmithOverview_Attributes.png

If you can persuade Mahamadou Diarra and Carlos Diogo to sign for free early on that gives you cover at DM/MC and right fullback. Then look to spend cash on your leftback and a striker. If you manage to offload a few players I'd probably then try and add another DC just in case and another right winger. Depending on your formation obviously.

I have just finished the demo now and we finished in 3rd place in the Premier League, we would of also played QPR in the semi finals of the League cup.

nufcepltableendofdemo.jpg

nufcsquadendofdemo.jpg

The standout players for me were Haris Vuckic, Hatem Ben Arfa (both played as a Trequartista), Leandro Damiao (Poacher) was also brilliant but very injury prone and Jonas Gutierrez was very good (Advanced Playmaker Attack). Joe Bennett surprised me as well as he was a solid left back with plenty of potential to improve.

Yohan Cabaye was the one player who I was really dissapointed with I played him as a Deep Lying Playmaker and he didn't offer us anything really apart from four goals from penalties.

I am off work for a couple of days now so I might start another demo save with Newcastle to see if I can do any better.

What roles did u give the two ivorians???

Tiote plays as DM and Anchor Man, Wilfried as the lone striker as Poacher.

Played Sunderland in the League Cup quarters. Was 1-1 at around 70 minutes so brought on Wilfried, he grabs a goal in the 105th minute. S.Taylor knocks the ball into his own net on the 109th minute, and by the 115th minute I start throwing more men forward. Sunderland go 3-2 ahead in the 119th minute, but super sub Wilfried scores the equaliser in the 120+2 minute. Went on on pens though :thdn: Ben Arfa was up first and missed, but everyone else scored.

EDIT: Just finished the demo and surprised myself by picking up form and finishing 7th, only 2pts off 6th. We mainly managed to grind out results towards the end of the demo when Williamson had to start in centre defence, he was always a threat from set pieces. Ba was top scorer for us in the league with 5, but the goals were shared (10 different scorers). Gutierrez (7) and Ben Arfa (5) were our main creators, so early lack of form could be down to Ben Arfa's injury.

I was quite surprised to see so many clubs lose their managers- 6 in total: QPR, Stoke, Villa, Sunderland, Wolves and Chelsea.

Overall I'm quite excited for a proper save when the real game comes out. Will stick with the 4-5-1 formation and hopefully there wll be some more bargains to be found.

Question: Is the Newcastle squad overrated or fair? I don't know if FM has taken the club's current form into account but Newcastle look a bit too good to me.

Jonas has been given a decent stats boost compared to FM11, Ben Arfa hasn't decreased whatsoever despite a major injury + a new niggle, Cabaye has gone up ma-hoosively compared to FM11 too and tbh Obertan on every single version has stats much better than his ability - oh and add in that Tim Krul looks like a cracking keeper at just 23 and Demba Ba as a very handy poacher. Finally centre back choices are fairly capable in Steven Taylor and Williamson.

9 million for transfers to take into account + planning on selling a couple of players I consider as deadwood... Am I being unrealistic in thinking that some good management could earn a champions league spot in the first season?

Question: Is the Newcastle squad overrated or fair? I don't know if FM has taken the club's current form into account but Newcastle look a bit too good to me.

Jonas has been given a decent stats boost compared to FM11, Ben Arfa hasn't decreased whatsoever despite a major injury + a new niggle, Cabaye has gone up ma-hoosively compared to FM11 too and tbh Obertan on every single version has stats much better than his ability - oh and add in that Tim Krul looks like a cracking keeper at just 23 and Demba Ba as a very handy poacher. Finally centre back choices are fairly capable in Steven Taylor and Williamson.

9 million for transfers to take into account + planning on selling a couple of players I consider as deadwood... Am I being unrealistic in thinking that some good management could earn a champions league spot in the first season?

Well Demba Ba certainly looked a decent poacher for West Ham last season, and his composure is pretty awful on FM12, I don't think Cabaye has been massively upgraded, maybe just a little bit. Good management perhaps could earn you a Champs League spot, but then it could earn you a champs league spot on FM11 as well. Could probably say the same for most of the midtable Prem sides.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha get out of here. 6th worst rated squad in the Premiership based on CA averages, which annoys me... so, if anything, expect improvements in the near future...

I'm guessing Swansea, Norwich, QPR, Wigan (Although some of their midfielders look strangely good) and Blackburn/West Brom are the teams below us?

Originally posted by Outclassed

I'm guessing Swansea, Norwich, QPR, Wigan (Although some of their midfielders look strangely good) and Blackburn/West Brom are the teams below us?

I think Arsenal should go somewhere in there as well :p

Though on a serious note, IMO the Newcastle squad looks pretty realistic. A stong spine of players (Krul, S.Taylor, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Demba Ba). But if more than a couple of those get injured at any point you're going to have problems without having a super strong squad. Definately don't want to see Cabaye out for a long time.

jonas is a full international and has been a more than capable player in the premiership thus far.. in fact.. some of his stats seem a bit low in places imo..

ben arfa has shown his worth in the times he has played tbh.. i would not have liked to see his stats decline just due to injury, this makes no sense to me.

as has been shown, cabaye hasnt improved at all hardly... a few stats here and there have gone up one notch at best and a few others down.

obertan doesnt have the best stats anyway tbf.. i think he's about right.

tim krul has proven he's a more than capable keeper in the premiership and deserves his minor boost

demba ba's stats accurately reflect his ability if you ask me..

taylor is a top defender on his day and seems fairly rated in game... williamson im not a fan of irl, and his stats seem pretty bang on.. you'll find he's inconsistant in game, just like irl..

All in all.. i think Chris has done a top notch job in the ratings.. one of the very few prem teams i couldnt give you a big list of things i would adjust in fact..

and im not even a nufc fan :)

Archived