FMTN Winger Through-Ball Tactic - FM2012 Demo

FMTN Winger Through-Ball Tactic

Here is my current tactic in my FM2012 demo game with Tottenham. I'm currently unbeaten in 29 games, in the Premier League, English domestic cups and Europa League.

As you can see it seems to score plenty, with 111 goals scored and 24 against in all competitions. 111 goals in just 29 games! Adebayor has 29 goals in 27 matches, and Defoe has 24 in 29.

overviewprofile.jpg

My entire results can be seen below:

tottenhamhotspurfixture.jpg

I also played 4 more matches before the demo switched off, but these couldn't be fit onto the same screenshot. 1-0 v Everton, 3-2 v Sunderland (Quarter Final League Cup), 2-2 v Arsenal and 3-1 v Chelsea...then the demo wouldn't let me continue.

Note the incredible scoring in pretty much every single game, at home and away. 6-0 victories (including a 6-0 win over Liverpool), 7 goals scored against Sunderland and West Brom, even 8 goals scored against Cardiff.

About the tactic - what you need to do:

1) This tactic hopes to destroy the opposition with direct balls (with a lot of through-balls) from the midfield and wide players.

2) During pre-season make sure you concentrate on 'teamwork'. Put this on very high setting for a good while as it helps players 'gel'. (You get to this on the tactics screen - and it's in the bottom left hand corner). Match preparation. As for what to change it to after pre-season, experiment with it. I've opted for defending set-pieces as I noticed a few goals conceded from there...but nothing is decided as of yet.

3) Your best headering centre back must play on the right hand side of the centre pairing. He is crucial for corner set pieces.

4) Place a left footed player for right corners, and a right footed player for left corners. You're looking for 'in-swingers'.

5) The two strikers swap position, and the two wingers swap position, so there is plenty of inter-change up front. Having wingers capable of playing on either flank certainly helps! I am lucky to have Lennon, Modric and Bale in rotation.

Included in the zip file download are two versions of the tactic:

The standard one is the one I pretty much used for every single match above. The 'v2' tactic is slightly adjusted to cope against quicker opposition strikers.

I created the v2 tactic in response to facing Manchester United. I had set out (after seeing the seasons fixtures) to play through the season until the United game, and use that game as a testing match for any tweaks I wanted to apply. United are a great team with strong defenders, quick fullbacks and quick strikers, with passing options from midfield. A great benchmark.

United on FM2012 seem to press incredibly high up the pitch and in the game against me, opted to deploy both Hernandez and Welbeck against my defence - both have pace/acceleration above 17. I struggeled against them a great deal in the first trial match, losing 7-0 (yes 7-0!), so lowered the defensive line a couple of notches and chose to stop using an offside trap. After watching how they play, using a high defensive line against them, in conjunction with the 'play offside' option ticked, screamed nonsense to me. Suicide!

I re-played them one more time to see if any improvements could be made, and we stopped many of their attacks managing a 1-1 draw. Great turn around. I have to stress that this is the only match that I 're-played', simply using United as a guinea pig. All other results are what you see is what you get.

So I only use v2 against high quality opposition, who have quick strikers.

Conclusion:

I'm sure a lot more tweaks could be done to both tactics as the game is still in the early stages, so is the tactic - and I'm sure the match engine will change in due course - so any feedback would be gratefully appreciated. It's not perfect, but then, nothing ever is.

Also, I've not tested it with any side other than Tottenham, but the results do seem rather impressive. The lower leagues certainly need testing!

DOWNLOAD LINK

Very impressive results, how well are your wingers playing? Wingers seem to be very very effective in the demo.

Yes, my wingers do seem to be producing well.

Aaron Lennon has played 15, scored 5 and 9 assists.

Modric has played 23, scored 8 and 18 assists.

Gareth Bale has played 13, scored 4 and 6 assists.

And as one of the central mids...

Van der Vaart - played 23, 7 goals and 11 assists.

-----

As for the game being easy, I guess there will be a big patch not long after retail release which will cause things to be a bit more tricky.

Which 1 is the Target Man?

I've not chose a target man as such, just have the option ticked. I based this around one of my tactics from FM2011, which might have had that option ticked. I can't quite remember.

But to answer fully. I've not added any players as target men.

Ok so done pre-season which i had my assistant take over friendlies using the tactic. Must say i'm pritty impressed so far despite losing most games.

Liverpool - Won 3 - 0

Arsenal - Drew 3 - 3

Wigan - Lost 6 - 0

Rangers - Won 4 - 3

Celtic - Lost 2 - 1

Hibernian - Lost 1 - 0

Leeds - Lost 2 - 1

Celtic - Lost 4 - 2

Wolves - Lost 6 - 0

Although their was some huge defeats in their, there was also some top quality wins and a draw. I would put the losses down to lack of fitness as i pritty much had a game nearly every 2 - 3 days. But still some close results and all the teams were very difficult. Doncaster are only like a top league 1 side who are in the championship.

I'll let you know how league games go.

WOW

Currently playing as Everton, switched to your tactic against Brescia away and won 9-0. We were 5-0 up after 19 mins and even had Rodwell sent off at 65 mins. Very Impressive but have found that I seem to be winning with any tactic I play.

I think I wont purchase FM12 and stick with 11 as its too easy.......................

One thing with lower league teams might be to mess around with some players and switch them from zonal to man marking. That might be better for the lower leagues.

I'll have to tweak around with it when I play further down the leagues.

Some mixed results I see. I wanted to focus on scoring lots of goals with this one, so it might have some issues.

I am working on another one, a midfield diamond with high tempo short passing. It's very lovely to look at, great at keeping possession and having a high pass rate. To be honest the midfield diamond seems like a long term keeper. This one was purely experimental, but certainly worked with Tottenham. I have my doubts about other sides though.

I agree with others about the games difficulty at present. There should be a patch released not long after the games release which will hopefully make creating tactics better, with added stability.

One thing with lower league teams might be to mess around with some players and switch them from zonal to man marking. That might be better for the lower leagues.

I'll have to tweak around with it when I play further down the leagues.

Some mixed results I see. I wanted to focus on scoring lots of goals with this one, so it might have some issues.

I am working on another one, a midfield diamond with high tempo short passing. It's very lovely to look at, great at keeping possession and having a high pass rate. To be honest the midfield diamond seems like a long term keeper. This one was purely experimental, but certainly worked with Tottenham. I have my doubts about other sides though.

I agree with others about the games difficulty at present. There should be a patch released not long after the games release which will hopefully make creating tactics better, with added stability.

Was wondering if you'd come up with anything for lower league teams or not? Or are you waiting for the full release and 12.1 patch? I could see it working for better teams than Doncaster Rovers as everything that was happening was what is expected, but my defence and attackers just don't have the capability to pull it off most of the time.

Was wondering if you'd come up with anything for lower league teams or not? Or are you waiting for the full release and 12.1 patch? I could see it working for better teams than Doncaster Rovers as everything that was happening was what is expected, but my defence and attackers just don't have the capability to pull it off most of the time.

To be honest with you I'm not going to be bothering making another tactic/tweaking a tactic until a patch has been brought out after retail release. The demo is full of bugs and makes making a tactic hard work - i.e, getting your players to do exactly what you want them to do.

One example is getting your (well definitely mine) forwards to press and track back. I've tried a tactic with 3 upfront and no matter what, with closing down on max settings and tight marking, they just stand around while the opposition fullbacks run out of defence with the ball. Trying to do a high defensive line with intense pressing is practically impossible at the moment.

I'll just wait for a bit.

To be honest with you I'm not going to be bothering making another tactic/tweaking a tactic until a patch has been brought out after retail release. The demo is full of bugs and makes making a tactic hard work - i.e, getting your players to do exactly what you want them to do.

One example is getting your (well definitely mine) forwards to press and track back. I've tried a tactic with 3 upfront and no matter what, with closing down on max settings and tight marking, they just stand around while the opposition fullbacks run out of defence with the ball. Trying to do a high defensive line with intense pressing is practically impossible at the moment.

I'll just wait for a bit.

If we are talking about the same thing here, i've also noticed that when your attacking and then the defence gets hold of the ball to stop your attack and then they concede possession, the strikers always just stand still in an offside position, as if watching the game go by? lol... Pritty much a bug.

Thanks for uploading your tactic, much appreciated. I've played till December with this tactic to try it out, there's a lot to be said for it's attacking prowess but defensively and in terms of possession it seems to struggle a bit. Below are my league position, transfers in, and fixtures. I certainly scored and I like the way the wingers got on the end of crosses from the opposite flank, however defensively I found big gaps between the midfield and defence especially against 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 and players getting lots of space and time to pass the ball through me. Could possible dropping one of the strikers back into an orthodox water carrier/DM role give the tactic more stability?

npowerchampionshipoverv.png

ipswichtransfershistory.png

ipswichtownfixturesfixt.png

ipswichtownfixturesfixt.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived