FM2012 Possesion is king tic-a-tac tactic

First of all I must give credit to krunccrni whose non wizard tactic gave me quite a few pointers after I'd initially failed to create my own possession based wizard tactic, his tactic is well worth a look and can be found here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/277153-Barcelona-style-in-FM-2012

My tactic is a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-5-1 formation that is based on high possession and working openings. This is the first tactic I've ever uploaded since starting off on CM2 many, many years ago. It relies on very high work rate, first touch, passing and team work in midfield and players that can rotate positions (DM/CM and CF/AMR swap positions a lot!). Although I've only had a few matches, apart from a fluke V Colchester Utd (2-0 loss after we'd battered them and they scored from 2 set pieces) I've kept clean sheets and had 60%+ possession in 90% of games.

ipswichtownfixturesfixt.png

The players in my Ipswich team aren't world beaters but the midfield 3 seem to dominate most games and Jaime Peters, a quick full back (his other stats are mediocre at best) does really well. The tactic shape and team instructions are below:

ipswichtowntacticsoverv.png

ipswichtowntacticsteami.png

And here is a screen shot of the Match stats V Livingstone:

livingstonvipswichstats.png

Please feel free to comment, positive criticism and feedback are welcomed. Also try making tweaks to suit your players especially:

(1) set up corners and free kicks that best suit your players

(2) adjust the CF mentality based on their pace/technique and finishing e.g. better players move it up a few notches to allow them more freedom to run at players, more limited strikers keep it the same or lower it

(3) experiment with wingers cutting in or hitting the byline based on strongest foot (e.g. left footed AMR cutting inside etc) if you do have wingers cutting in you may want to encourage your full backs to make even more forward runs

Please enjoy the tactic:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7k6q3b9jk4xwddg

I am very grateful for your well crafted feedback, thank you.

Although i do agree in principle with what Bornyesterday was saying in his post, I don't agree with the way he said it. But you've come back with some League Game results and i'm sure people will be greatfull for that, because Friendly results don't really prove a tactic is any good. I will be trying this at some point and if and when I do, I will let you know of my results.

Although i do agree in principle with what Bornyesterday was saying in his post, I don't agree with the way he said it. But you've come back with some League Game results and i'm sure people will be greatfull for that, because Friendly results don't really prove a tactic is any good. I will be trying this at some point and if and when I do, I will let you know of my results.

I'd agree, friendlies don't count for much but you can get an impression of the style of football played. That said competitive matches are the true test and I'll post some more later. I think maybe some forum members feel the need to say what they're thinking instead of engaging their brains to consider whether it is necessary or polite to even post at all ;)

Some updated results with the tactic, still there or there abouts around the play-offs. I had a terrible 6 game losing/drawing run but picked up the results after holding a team meeting. Defensively sound the team has only conceded 17 goals in 20 matches:

npowerchampionshipoverv.png

and you can see below the results and how they picked up after the team meeting:

ipswichtownfixturesfixt.png

Strangely my teams possession has dipped but the results have improved, possible because as teams have started to nullify my midfield passing game my ball playing centre back has played more balls over the top from which we've scored.

Definitely a work in progress, but with stronger players and a few attacking tweaks I think this is a defensively sound starting point for a tactic.

Any updates on this?

I came second with Ipswich, so the tactic was effective but definitely needs tweaking to suit individual teams. I've started a new game now deleting my demo that I continued and I'm having great success with Mr Hough's old 4-1-2-3 tactic

Archived