Future FM Suggestion: Import Database from previous version

Cadijk van Kaarhandel

Just reading Ashcymru's "1995-96 Downdate" thread and it got me thinking.

Instead of having to basically start from scratch, how cool would it be if you could import the database from a previous version of FM?

For example, Ash could simply get holds of CM95/96, import the entire database from that version, and voila, job jobbed.

And i realise CM95/96 db might be different structure, but i'm sure some sort of convert program could take care of this.

What do you reckon? Sound plausible?

I'd reckon those databases are too distinct from each other so one could simply import it. Imagine that ie a footballer in a CM4 database has 20 attributes and in FM 2013 (or any further version) 30 attributes. What to do with the missing ones? Randomize? Let alone the fact that one attribute that researcher gave in CM4 db could possibly have completely different influence on the game (ME for example) than the attribute in FM 2013 match engine.

Yeah, would be nice but impossible IMHO

A conversion program is possible to create with knowledge of the database format.

I created an utility that imported the FM11 database into CM01/02 for my personal use, albeit it's a bit buggy still. I might get around finishing it at some point.

Yeah robbo, but i'm talking entire databases (e.g. all the players, staff, etc) from previous versions.

Wouldn't it sure be swell if some wizard could fashion a convert/import tool so we could play with for example 93/94 squads on FM'12?

It is possible, but for example earlier versions lack certain attributes that exist in the game nowadays.

Archived