Super Keepers have killed my enjoyment of this game

Both the "it's yo' tactics" and the "super keeper" sides have it partially right. There is a superkeeper effect to the extent that a keeper makes a few saves early on, their confidence and rating will rise and they will generally perform very well throughout the match. On the other end, if a striker misses a few shots early on, their confidence and rating will drop and they will perform progressively worse as the match goes on (especially if they don't have exceptional Determination), making the job of the confident keeper that much easier.

And if, as wwffan points out, you use a high-paced, attacking tactic where your strikers are going to be popping off shots at whatever angle at every opportunity, you greatly increase the chance that a keeper is going to make those early saves and slip into "super keeper mode."

Now, if you're also generally performing very well and winning lots of matches in a row, you're going to be dealing with complacency, meaning your strikers will carelessly blow chances, leading to easy saves and a more confident opposition goalkeeper, so it's not necessarily just a matter of tactics.

Completely agree with the above points.

No. What I'm saying is that subjectively you believe they are better chances than they are. You will have a couple of good chances but most will be average at best.

As I said, I have never yet been forwarded a pkm in which the majority, or even the significant minority, of such chances have been good ones.

Serious question. If you're looking at the pkm's to define if something is a good chance, but quite often we're told that what we're being shown ISN'T exactly what is happening in the ME, how do you know if something really is a good chance? Do you have some way to interrogate the code somehow, or are you just looking at the match itself?

Serious question. If you're looking at the pkm's to define if something is a good chance, but quite often we're told that what we're being shown ISN'T exactly what is happening in the ME, how do you know if something really is a good chance? Do you have some way to interrogate the code somehow, or are you just looking at the match itself?

Using a very educated eye to evaluate the ME.

I did run an experiment years back when I used a dynamic match strategy based on football logic to compare chance conversion against an exploiting tactic that created many 'middle of the DCs, snatched shot CCCs'. The dynamic strategy outscored the exploit tactic four goals to every one in open play having created roughly the same number of total shots per match. In a 15 match spread it created 16 chances that were demonstrably better than the best chance the exploiting tactic created over the same 15 matches, such as open net tap ins, one on ones at a good angle, shots from within 12 yards in lots of space.

In contrast, the exploiting tactic, while getting almost the same number of points, required set-piece exploits in a number of games in order to score a single goal. Once it did score, then it would generate better chances as the opposing team would push more players forward. However, that first goal nearly always required something special or a known exploit.

• 1 year later...
In real life, it doesn't matter what type of chance you create, as long as the player is skilled enough to beat the keeper

Kenny Miller has been an international striker for years, has played in the Premier League in England as well as for both Rangers and Celtic up here.

Great, instinctive striker, who can score goals from anywhere, but put him one-on-one with a goalkeeper where he has more than a second to think about it, and the chance will nearly always go astray. Imagine your tactics revolved around constant through balls to a player with his attributes. On the surface, would seem a great idea, but some strikers, no matter how good a finisher they are don't excel at those type of chances.

Yes, I won the match 2-0 but super keepers are still around. Is this happening to anyone else also ?

Barcelona had 26 shots on goal against Celtic in the CL. They only scored once. Fraser Forster had a good game, but I'd hardly describe him as a superkeeper.

I'm astounded people are moaning about this. Go to another thread, and it's people moaning about keepers not diving, letting in silly goals, etc etc.

SI must sometimes feel that they can't win.

Barcelona had 26 shots on goal against Celtic in the CL. They only scored once. Fraser Forster had a good game, but I'd hardly describe him as a superkeeper.

I'm astounded people are moaning about this. Go to another thread, and it's people moaning about keepers not diving, letting in silly goals, etc etc.

SI must sometimes feel that they can't win.

So,if something happens once in real life, it is allowed to happen every 3 games in FM?

Sounds legit.

It's true that everything can happen in football. Noone denies that. The problem is "how often".

So,if something happens once in real life, it is allowed to happen every 3 games in FM?

Sounds legit.

It's true that everything can happen in football. Noone denies that. The problem is "how often".

If you're getting 26 shots on target every three games and only scoring once or twice from those chances, I'd say there was something wrong. But not with the game.

If you're getting 26 shots on target every three games and only scoring once or twice from those chances, I'd say there was something wrong. But not with the game.

Sure. And if I get 1-5 woodworks per game, then there is nothing wrong with the game as well?

By the way, if those chances are something that even a todler would score with, then obviously there is something wrong with the game. If they are "spray and pray" shots, then ye, I am the one to be blamed.

Can you prove that everyone who is having this problem is on the "spray and pray" group?

Archived