Incompetent on the continent

Cancellara

Hello everybody,

After spending 3 years in the woods, getting by with FM2009, the odd demo and even some stints with the good old CM01/02, I've decided to give FM2012 a try after having lots of fun with the demo.

Inspired by iacovone's "around the world" career I've decided to have a crack at the career game.

The goal is to climb the managerial ladder in Western Europe. Just like iacovone has done, I will base my decisions on what a real manager would do: level of competition, challenge and personal wage. When two offers are equal on all those aspects, I will go for the most southern place, hoping for good weather... Complicating factor is going to be that I'm going to play the game in the language of the club to simulate. This has of course consequences for the leagues chosen, as many eastern european or asian leagues are now out of the question for me. Being fluent in Dutch and Italian, the start up is looking like this:

Game: FM2012

Database: Large

Leagues loaded:

Germany (Third Division and higher) Belgian 2nd Division and higher

Italy (Serie C2 and higher)

Netherlands (First Division and higher)

Norway (Second Division and higher)

Spain (Second B Division and higher)

Not too sure about managing in Spanish, German. Norwegian is really a long shot. Hope that I can memorise all the buttons from the demo and that football is a universal language and all that...

Now, let's start this adventure. I'm looking forward... All I have done during my gardening leave is watching my grass grow...

malinski+vacation+055.jpg

While sitting on my porch, picking my nose, I realised that my FM does not have a German speech file, so I have replaced the German leagues with the Belgian competition. Fingers crossed I don't end up in the French-speaking part!!

After 1 day, my inbox was already exploding with 8 new job offers, all in Norwegian :eek:

After browsing through the offers, I found two interesting clubs in the Norwegian First division: Valdres and Frigg Oslo FK. I was very attracted by the Valdres offer as they promised me a transfer kitty of 300.000... but then I realised the offer was in Norwegian kroner...

The Frigg board didn't offer me any transfer funds, but they have a high wage ceiling and as a young manager I think I would like to start a stint in Norway in a big city like Oslo, rather than in Valdres (18.000 inhabitants). Contract offers are till the end of the Norwegian season (december 2011) anyway and as a natural born pessimist, I don't think I'll make the transfer window anyway...

So I'm proud to present my friggin' new club:

54650_N3_21.jpg

FRIGG OSLO FOTBALLKLUB

Trivia:

Established: 17th May 1904

Other sports: Handball and bandy

When celebrating their 50-year anniversary they played Puskas' Honved and lost 3-15

Last stint in premier division: 1973

Last claim to fame: Beat Arsenal FC 1-0 in a friendly in 1973. Goalscorer: current Norway manager Egil Olsen

Stadium: Frognerstadium (5,500) - Turned into an ice rink in witer!!!

800px-Frogner_stadion_-_2010-02-14_at_16-08-43_-_2010-02-14_at_16-08-43.jpg

Sqaud update soon to follow!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, I'm a casual gamer, so it took some time to write an update, but here's the update of my first season at Frigg

Season 2011

June 2011:

I come in after 6 games out of 26 in the Norwegian 2nd division 2 (there are 4 subdivision) and Frigg are lying in a comfortable 3rd even when the media predicted them to finish 8th. No idea why the board decided to ditch the former coach... impatience?

My personal goal of managing in Norwegian part is going disastrous uptil now. My first team meeting ended with every player in red and I had to guess which metnal attribute meant "Influence" when choosing my captains...

In my starting eleven, the best players are valued 2,500 pound sterling and the average wage is 6,500 pounds/year. There is only one player in my defense that has double-digit figures for acceleration and speed (my left back), so my tactic is sitting back deep, hoof it up to the big man who will hopefully is able to load it off to his fellow attackers.

My starting eleven (4-1-2-3).

Goalie: Bent Bratbakken

DR - Grøndalen (D R/L) - Accident waiting to happen. Even my own backroomstaff don't rate him higher than 0,5/5 stars, but I have none better

DC - Martin Vethe (D R/C)- Club captain, rock at the heart of the defense. Only player with a 15+ defensive attribute, which I have discovered to be Jumping.

DC - Magnus Oltedal - Nothing special, but on an amateur contract, so doesn't cost me much.

DL - Nahomey Debassey - Vice-captain and decent left-back. Only player with a little bit of pace in the defence

DMC - Eirik Sandstad. (DM/M C) Decent defensive midfielder. Think I need him to block any through balls

MC - Harvård Gaare M © - Nothing special, but haven't got much else

MC - Stig Haddal M© - Only player who nears playmaker ability (Passing higher than 10 that is)

SP - Krenar Baduviku AM ®/SP- "Pacy" right winger, striker. Also an amateur.

SP - Kenneth Tarvik Tønne SP - Clubs top striker. Not the fastest anymore (32 years old), but 12 for finishing and good mental attributes, which I hope composure is one of...

SP - Kristoffer Eide - AM (L)/SP Left winger/Striker. High attribute for finishing, but low mental attributes.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

September update

Problems:

As the season passed, I have slipped down into 6th place. Probable reasons for the slump (apart from my own incompetence):

1) It's your tactics, stupid! Well, they just didn't work. The two SPs on the left and right of my target man just didn't get into the game at all and the team lacked width in midfield, being overrun by the other teams full backs.

2) The right back, Grøndalen, turned out to be a complete joke. Hardly ever topping a 5,60 match rating. He caused 5 penalties in 6 matches, 2 of them in one match, which he finished with a match rating of 3.30. My backroom staff and scouts, however, still haven't suggested some better right backs, though. At least not any ones I can sign for free...

Solutions:

1) Changed from the 4-1-2-3 to a 4-1-3-2 to have more bodies in midfield.

2) Trained a back-up central defender, Pickhardt, to be more proficient as a right back and stuck him with

New problems:

I lacked a proper left winger for my new tactic. After a chat with my backroom staff, they have adviced me sign Fridtjof Seeberg for free. Seeberg, an AM (R/L) has reasonable pace for this league (Acc:13/Pace:14). He seems to be a bit above my league, though and I had to break my wage ceiling to get him (paying a whooping 8,250 pounds a year) and he has only signed till the end of the season.

Positives:

1) Tarvik Tønne seems to be a geniuine good striker for this level, if it were not for his goals, we would be a lot lower down the table.

2) My goalkeeper Bretbakken seems also to be a pair of steady hands

New formation:

DR - Bjørn Pickhardt D(R/C) - Slow but secure right back, I hope

DC - Martin Vethe D(R/C)

DC - Magnus Oltedal D©

DL- Nahom Debesay D/WB/M/AM(L)

DMC - Eirik Sandstad. (DM/M C)

MC - Stig Haddal M© - Now in a more central role. Hope he can cope with controlling the midfield on his own

MR - Krenar Badivuku AM ®/SP

ML - Fridthof Seeberg (AMR R/L)

SP - Kenneth Tarvik Tønne SP

SP - Kristoffer Eide AM (L)/SP

End of season:

The new tactic seemed to work, as the team managed to hold on to a fifth position. Torvik Tønne was this season's hero, becoming the leagues top scorer. He scored 11 goals, 4 of them in the great 6-4 (:eek:) home win over a team called Herd. My board is still okay with my performance. New targets for the off-season: get an extra scout. Add a proper right back to my squad and look for some more quality in (the attacking) midfield.

• 3 weeks later...

Season 2012

For The new season several new replacements have come in. Transfer targets were: A new right back, a solid centre-back, a new left winger as Seeberg did not want to extend his short-term contract and add some general class all round.

I got offered two Ghanaian players during summer, an experienced defender called Ahmed and Richard Bossman, an inside left winger. I tried to sign the pair of them to ease Bossmans entry into the club, but the Ahmed deal fell trough on medical grounds, so now I am stuck with Bossman alone. Hope his integration goes smoothly.

My biggest coup of the transfer season is the signing of a drop-out from Norwegian Top flight team Molde, striker Simon Markeng (19). Upon arrival his market is estimated around 15k. Double digits, unseen for Frigg!

After these signings I had only room for one other player in my wage budget. I need a right back. I signed: creative midffielder Eirik Nordseth (passing and dribling 12! Creativity 14!).

Pre-season also brought the pleasant surprise of my board proudly announcing Frigg had become a feeder club of Premier Division team Lillestrøm. However, the Lillestrøm academy didn't seem to be bursting with talent. I managed to get my hands on one. Pacey right winger Nikolay Solberg on a 6-month loan.

After messing around tactically during the pre-season friendlies I tried to settle on a 4-5-1 to bring the best out of my two new signings. I am quite ashamed this means that there is no room for last year's topscorer Torvik Tønne. Hope he'll settle in his new role as super sub.

I really hope that my

New formation:

DR: Bjørn Pickhardt D(R/C)

DC Martin Vethe D(R/C)

CD Magnus Oltedal D©

DL Nahom Debesay D/WB/M/AM(L)

DMC - Eirik Sandstad. (DM/M C)

MC - Stig Haddal M©

MC - Erik Nordseth M/AM ©

MR - Nikolay Solberg AM (R/L)

ML - Richard Bossman (AMR R/L)

SP - Simon Markeng (AMR/SP)

Tactics: simple. No quality at the back, so putting in bodies there. Then hoofing the ball upfront to Solberg, Markeng and Bossman and hope they'll make the best of it!

Club news: added an extra scout and trainer to the Frigg staff

Archived