FM 2008: The Dortmund Thread - Back to 1997 Glory

sirevier

125px-Borussia_Dortmund.png

-History-

BV Borussia Dortmund is a German football club based in Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia and one of the most successful clubs in German football. In addition to six German football championships and two DFB Pokal victories, Dortmund won the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup in 1966 (becoming the first German team to win a European title) and the UEFA Champions League in 1997.

-Club Information-

Club Information:

Year Founded: 1909

Stadium: Westfalen Stadion (Signal Iduna Park)

Capacity: 80700(55700 seated)

Training Facilities: Top training facilities

Excellent Youth + Youth Academy

Media Prediction: 8th

Squad Average Age: 26

Squad Personality: Very Determined

Captain: Alessandro Christian Wörns

Fierce Rivals: Schalke, FC Bayern

-Finances-

Transfer Budget AFTER Board Request 7,834,999€

% of transfer revenue made availabe: 75%

Sponsors: 1year Stadium: 3,99M Per Season / 3year kit sponsorship at 3.99

Loans Outstanding: 900k/month till 2030 ... 450K/Month till 2016

-Players-

GK: Alexander Bade

GK: Marc Ziegler

GK: Roman Weidenfeller

D RC: Mats Hummels (Loaned from FC Bayern)

D L: David Vrzogic

DC: Christian Wörns

DC: Robert Kovac

DC: Martin Amedick

DC: Markus Brzenska

D/WB R: Antonio Rukavina

D/WB/M R: Phillip Degen

D/WB/M L: Dede

WB RL, DM: Florian Kringe

DM: Sebastian Kehl

DM: Marc-Andre Kruska

DM: Daniel Gordon

M RLC: Tinga

D/WB/AM R: Jakub Blaszczykowski

AM RLC: Mihail Aleksandrov

AM R, F C: Giovanni Federico

AM/F: Mladen Petric

ST: Nelson Valdez

ST: Alexander Frei

ST: Klimowict, Diego

Hi There,

reporting a little about my save game in 8.02 Dortmund Save Game...Large Database.

First of all. I decided to play the kimz' tactic.

Which means, i will play with

====FC=====

AMC=AMC=AMC

==DMC=DMC==

DL=DC=DC=DR

Players In & Out

The offense,midfield and fullbacks are well rounded in the given squad.. especially Kehl and Dede....the weak point for sure is the central defense.

Next Step will be the "Players In & Out" Report.

Please gimme some time since i am at work icon_wink.gif

Nice thread mate. My first save on 08 was with Dortmund and although the finances are pretty dire first season they do improve later on and it becomes a really enjoyable save. Your right about the central defence being pretty dire. If i was you i'd look to offload Kovac and Brzenska and look to bring in players such as Samba, Miranda, Brechet and Monsoreau. If i hadnt have started with Lille i would definately have another crack at Dortmund.

Players In & Out

My main aim is to get rid of common skilled players who have a high wage..which i think are a lot at Dortmund.

So i try to transfer list/offer to clubs, most of the players and try to get cheaper options for them...

Only in the DC section i am willing to spend big.

[GKs]

I am quite pleased with the Goalkeepers.

My first Choice will be Roman Weidenfeller.

[DCs]

I will try to sell all players but Christian Wörns. He is the current captain and i don't want to get a bad morale right from the start.

I will aim to buy Miranda from Sao Paolo and Ignashevich from CSKA Moscow.

[FBs]

I am pleased with the fullbacks, at least with Dede...have to see how Degen and Rukavina turn out to be.

[DMs]

Kehl is good and after i offered Kruska to clubs and i received a whole load of offers immidiately - i thought i'd keep him instead an check how he turns out.

Kringe won't suit my tactic...would love to sell him.

I will try to get Banega as additional DM...on loan.

[AMCs]

Tinga, Federico look good. So i will keep those two. I will try to sell the rest of the offensive midfielders since i aim to buy Piatti and Escudero. They are cheap, need low wages and have a great future ahead of them.

[FCs]

I only need 2 FCs in my squad...and Federico would be a third possible FC option if i get into trouble.

So i decided to sell Valdez, Klimo and either Petric or Frei.

I want to get Stancu, since he is cheap...will turn out class...and won't crash my wages.

This is how my transfer run turned out.

my.php?image=season1mq3.jpg

A real bugger was the buy of Stancu...his club really forced me to pay 2million for him...maybe i gambled too much icon_wink.gif

i am sure i could have got more money out of petric and jakub and some others...but i just wanted to get rid of them as soon as possible.

But the central defense issn't the worst part to work on....it is the coaching staff!!

The Staff consist a useless Ass Mgr...

3!!! GK Coaches... a physio and few weaks scouts...

so i really spent time getting a proper staff together and spent some money on compensation.

with some help of this thread

New Staff Setup

Sebastian Kehl could become an issue for you in my experience of playing with Dortmund. The reasons are that at the end of season 1 he is out of contract and if you dont renew it at the start of the season then 9 times out of 10 he isn't interested in renewing. Another reason is that if you are to renew it then he wants almost double what he is on now which could cripple you for wages for potential new signings. Tough decision that one as he is one of the teams better players.

Thanks,

i thought about selling first, too. But since i am playing with kimz' tactic...a left footed DM is worth gold. Also i am confident i will be succesful and reach at least top3 to qualify for Champs League and make it more interesting for him to stay icon_smile.gif

Ok my first season is passed and i was succesful. Exceeded my own expectations.

BvB - Champions 2008

It actually turned out as i expected.

Frei has been absolut excellent in front of the goal, 16 goals in 22 apps, no fuss...no tricks...just clinical.

Tinga was a running machine and ended up with best average league rating 7,50. with 22apps, 7gls and 8asts

Escudero - 32 apps, 12gls 8asts

Piatti - 29 apps, 11gls 10asts

Federico suprised me with 34 apps, 13gls and 14 asts!

Stancu had 28apps, 11gls and 10asts.

Degen suprised me with constant performances and was the same level like dede, both around 7,3 without any flukes.

Banega had no chance against Kruska somehow...Kruska played regular next to Kehl

Kehl resigned and just expected a 50% raise...which i can expect.

i failed in the cup, falling out to werder bremen in the 2nd round, though.

Didn't realise this thread existed. Into Season 3 with Dortmund now, and probably the most enjoyable game I've had on FM2008 yet. Hasn't really been as difficult as I thought it would be, and I won the league in my first season after building a nice squad for just £8m (sold Valdez for £2.5m to raise the extra funds). I have to say, the star of the show has to be my now vice-captain Carlos Villanueva for just £1.7m. Been attracting interest from some big clubs.

Anyway, here's my current team:

Team

Marica is an absolute beast, got him for £7m in the second season. Absolute must buy along with Villanueva.

Originally posted by bazblock:

is it really worth it offering kehl a new contract at start?? hes asking for 48k in wages and is on 24 atm...

Absolutely, fantastic in defensive midfield to me and my captain. Great player, he's on £53,000 a week for me and it's totally worth it.

Originally posted by real_betis:

I sold Petric to Sunderland as he was quite poor, but I felt he played best at FC. Just drew with Bayern away 2-2. Everytime I play them at the Allianz-Arena I go 2-0 up and they ALWAYS equalise. icon_mad.gif

just played my first game of season in cup away, won 5-0 petric got 3 icon_smile.gif

• 3 months later...

I have played until the winter break in the 08/09-season with Dortmund.

The current squad:

dortmundcurrentsquadwv0.th.jpgthpix.gif

Overall I a satisfied with the squad. Had to replace Weidenfeller when he wanted to move to a bigger club. Fernandez hasn`t been a big hit, so I will probably have to look for a new 1st goalkeeper in the summer (maybe Adler, Wiese). In defense I think the left back is the only position that needs immediate strengthening. I am considering Fathi (Hertha Berlin) and Pander (Hamburg now) as possible new players. But then again, it is fun to use "club players" like Kringe and Dedè.

Offensively I am always on the lookout for good players, especially German ones. In the long term, I want to have as many German players on the team as possible. If anyone has any tips for good players, it would be helpful.

Transfers 1st season:

dortmundtransfersseasonks7.th.jpgthpix.gif

League Table December 2008:

dortmundcurrenttablexx6.th.jpgthpix.gif

Not too happy with the first part of the season. Won at home against FC Bayern and away at Werder Bremen. But we lost away against Schalke (stupid Dedè and his red card) and away at Stuttgart. But then again, I am hangin in there with FC Bayern and that is the most important thing.

Champions League 08/09:

dortmundcltableup1.th.jpgthpix.gif

I am happy with getting through the group stage. Will play Man Utd in the next round, which will be very tough.

NB. Sorry about posting four posts (and the small images). Something went wrong.

Is anyone still playing with Dortmund? I assure you that it is a very fun team to lead.

Season 2008/2009:

I won the league, but I was not satisfied with the fact that FC Bayern was just two pints behind. But then again, that’s what you get when I lost the away games against Schalke, Stuttgart and Bayern. This will hopefully get better this season. Frei was top scorer in the league in the 07/08-season, but last season he came fourth (25 goals both seasons).

leaguetablevr0.th.jpgthpix.gif

Transfers summer 2009:

I have high expectations for Marin and Pander. Had to sell Jimenez because of his constant complaing about not playing enough, and it ended up with him disliking me. And he never really performed for me anyway. In addition I had hoped to get a German goalkeeper. I tried to get Renè Adler, but Leverkusen wanted more than £ 20 million (which I couldn’t afford). Had to settle with Coman, but he has good stats. At last a sad note: I had to sell Dèdè. I never like selling players which have been in the club a long time, because playing with them is part of the fun. But the choice was between selling him or Kringe

transfers2009rz0.th.jpgthpix.gif

Current squad:

squadsep2009xi8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Archived