FM 2012: Aberdeen FC team guide - The Quest for Star Three

Right, I have finally started my Aberdeen season. It hasn't that great to start the season:

Aberdeen 4-1 St J

OG, Vernon, Chalali, Fyvie

St Mirren 3-0 Aberdeen

Had to play a terrible team, due to half my team being injured.

Celtic 1-0 Aberdeen

Hearts 0-2 Aberdeen

Vernon x2

Aberdeen 0-1 ICT

Had 6 CCCs but couldn't put 1 away, while Andrew Shinnie scored from 25 yards.

Aberdeen 3-0 Stirling (LC)

McArdle, Chalali, O.G.

Rangers 3-0 Aberdeen.

Struggling the bit at the moment, and I'm a bit unsure how to go about approaching games tactically, not using Man Utd, PSG etc. Next up is Hibs away and I'm not very confident.

Edit: 1-0 loss to HIbs, we managed 2 shots the whole game. Shocking.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

superb caddy, well done!! :applause:

i am sitting top of the league at moment, second season in, target for me was to try win a cup and try for euro qualification in league

swiftly got booted out of both cups, gutted!

hving trouble working out what is happening this season tho, do not think i have managed to play same defence for 3 games in a row, am way way behind on shots in every game, defenders are just averaging around the 7 mark, yet have the best defence in the league, i think 16 i have leaked in 26 games. :eek: obviously not complaining, just confused

no real striker hitting form, loads of youth getting experience, trying to loan more and get more feeder clubs for them. picked up a few on pre contract that should improve team, but i feel still looks poor squad to me, albeit i am happy with league picture

STAND FREE

Well done Caddy!

Dropped into the Europa League after finishing behind Shakthar and Spurs in my CL group. Finished with 8 points, beat Bremen twice and drew with each of the other two.

Into the semis of the League Cup and still dodging away in the Scottish Cup. Currently sitting 19 points, yes, 19 points clear at the top of the table after 23 games. Unbeaten in the league and scoring for fun using Caddys formation away from home and 442 blitz weak, at home. Looking good for the title.

First time this has happened to me so thought I'd mention it. Got the 6 million odd quid for the CL groups and asked for some of it, Milne said naw. So I still had no money and was over wage budget. I was getting weekly scouting reports telling me to go for Hasselbaink of St Mirren, so I asked the board to negotiate the transfer for me, they've never said aye before, well they did this time. 3 weeks and 725k later, he's a red. Only on 850 p/w too. Well done the board!

Well last night i had an emotional moment saying goodbye to Pittodrie! As it happens the last game of the season was Rangers at home, a fine way to say goodbye to the stadium! Funnily enough the last player to score at todders was also the first to score at my new place. I arranged a pre-season game at home to Real to "open" the stadium but the first proper game was a 3-0 win against Falkirk, 36,000 seats sold out!!

just played first game after the table splits in second season - won the league!!!!

SUPERB - 6 points at ipox in 6 days knocked the unwashed out of the race. with the tattie munchers losing to hibs after split and drawing with killie (12th) dundee utd, falkirk and the tax dodgers just before break

think i have a pretty poor team, cant work out why the league has been handed to me - but i will take it :)

2012011100002e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

STAND FREE

looking at how close the pack are, i am considering playing my youth in a couple of games, maybe even get both cheeks out of europe :D

(obviously not my intentions if any members of the SPL are reading ::cool:

been a weird season. last 8 in the scottish cup, 4 from SPL - 3 of them in bottom 6 - no old firm :)

Won the domestic treble in 2nd season and made the 2nd knockout round of the Europa League after finishing 3rd in my CL group. Now been given a 7m kitty and had my wage budget doubled. Trying to attract players is another matter altogether!

Not much of a poster on these forums, but wanted to highlight a dramatic shift in my fortunes as Dons boss (Apologies for a lack of screenshots, i'm at work).

Normally i'm not very good at Football Manager (haven't been for a while). I can usually work my way up to a comfortable 3rd spot with the Dons, but struggle to win titles. This year I seemed to have gotten even worse, as I was struggling to find any form with the most recent version of the game. As such, I turned to the Tactics sharing area of this forum to try and find a miracle cure. Did I ever!!!

Mr Hough rolls back the Years FM12 - 4-1-2-3

First season in charge, only made 3 noticable signings - David Barron from St Mirren to play right back, a scandinavian goalie and Ahmed Soukouna up front (he's been a favourite of mine for a few years now). Results - I won the league and scottish cup :eek: Won the league by about 4-points in a pretty close race with both of the old firm in the mix, and beat Motherwell 6-2 after extra time to win the cup.

Second season has been even better. Top of the league and clear by 8 points, and into the knock-out stages of the champions league where i'm playing Spurs (finished second in the group behind Chelsea, who I managed to beat 2-1 at Pittodrie).

I'm quite astonished by it all as i've never really seen a formation make such a difference before. Soukouna has turned into an absolute monster with 30+ goals before xmas in the 2nd year. So if anyone else out there is struggling, i'd suggest taking a trip to the tactics forum :D

Played my first 2 games, started with a poor defeat against st'j's but recovered well in the next game winning 5-0 down in paisley

team is as follows 4-4-2

gonzalez

foster RB

mawene

mcardle

jllyoyd samuel

pawlett RM

milsom

arnason

jose luan loque

magennis STCR

vernon

Not been able to post my progress as often anymore as I don't have internet at home, but I'm bored and at work so I'll give a mini update now.

2016/17 season summary

Dropped into the Europa League after a disappointing CL campaign saw us finish third in a group that included Chelsea. Picked ourselves up, dusted off and promptly retained the Europa League trophy beating Valencia with ease 2-0 in the final.

The league is becoming a bit boring now and we breezed to the title some twenty points clear of second placed Motherwell. Rangers and Celtic both struggled and finished fifth and seventh respectively. I'd love to have a screenie of this but our post split fixture against Rangers saw a capacity crowd at Pittodrie hammer them:

8-2!!

Simply awesome.

I've had a huge clearout in the summer, trying to raise money for a new stadium, as the board won't budge despite the fact that we fill Pittodrie (with a 25,000 capacity) EVERY league and European game. Still the youth and training facilities keep getting upgraded along with junior coaching. So at least we can better develop our own players now.

Broke my record transfer fee twice by signing a Panamanian right back for £4.7m from Dundee United then a couple of weeks later signing a Ghanaian central midfielder for £7.5m.

Finally, was offered the Chelsea job with a £47,000,000 transfer budget. Turned them down. I'm staying at Aberdeen till we win the Champions League!

After being inspired by reading 'On Fire with Fergie' by Stuart Donald (excellent book, recommended), I thought id start up an Aberdeen game.

I've decided to go with a 4-3-3 formation, to take advantage of the large number of strikers, and the lack of wingers in the squad. However, ive never made a 4-3-3 before so am a little unsure what will work best. What do you guys recommend with the players you begin the game with? I was thinking something not too creative, but I dont know if short or direct passing will work better. Any thoughts on the best way to win with the Dons?

Havnt played a match yet (cant wait to get going, writing this post is giving me 'FM withdrawl' therapy at work!), but I have made a couple of transfers. I got rid of Gonzalez (the GK on loan) straight away to free up funds, I then sold Mackie for 70k, and Considine for 200k. Finally I got rid of Pawlett for 800k (sadly not upfront)- I would love to have kept him, but it would have been pointless when he doesnt fit into my formation- it seemed better to shift him now before his value dropped through lack of game time.

The only transfer in is John Baird from Raith for 180k, leaving me with approx 5k wage budget to play with. Priority is a couple of centre backs- one youngster and an established first teamer. Also, my new parent club Chelsea sent me a couple of half decent back ups. Besides that, I plan to stick with the youngsters for the first season, and try and find some value in the transfer market next summer.

I was thinking of playing Magennis and Baird as poachers (theyve both banged them in on previous games ive played as other clubs), and Vernon as the target man (support) in the front three. Not sure if that will waste some of Vernons attacking ability though.

I'm at about Feb in my first season. Cant really offer too much at this stage- the only things I can think of that dont seem to have been said on this thread; im playing Fallon in the middle of a 3 up front. If you set him to Deep Lying Forward Support then he seems to play pretty well- that position allows for his lack of dribbling and finishing ability. Also, use Osbourne as your right back- hes an attacking FB for me, and playing very well indeed. Besides that, im still experimenting myself- cant stop tinkering because its difficult to know the best way to use the other two good midfielders - Fyvie and Jack. How have other people been using those two?

wow.. this thread is amazing!!

Just started with a new save with Dons and I am done with the friendlies. I am coming from Germany (Dortmund) save and man this is seriously a tough challenge. I have scouted pretty much whole Europe, just waited and waited for the right players to become available/accept my offer. First, no better players are ready to join us (a low repo club with an unkown coach) and second if however somebody shows some interest I am often outclassed for his signature. A bigger club just comes in and takes away my potential man. So far I have signed Materrazzi, Wome, Luccin, Djiba, Yakubu, Diguiny and Carles Coto.

The decision with parent club also went wrong, I suggested for Liverpool when Man City and Chelsea were also offered hoping that they will send me Jack Robinson and one other player but they just send Spearing.. gutted.

It was already late in july and still not covered RB and LW positions, thankfully Yakubu and Fadden are still available. Yakubu has accepted the offer but Fadden still not lowering his wage demands to suit my budget. SRL, CVk and alw how much did you guys paid him as first wage?

I am also using 4-3-3 as one of the 3 tactics (rotating it with regular 4-4-2). Not too far in game but yeah had some mixed results. One thing sure tough its gives me more defensive solidarity against teams playing narrow (I hold Leeds to a 1-1 draw).

Upfront I am playing with vernon as Target man support, while Chalili and Diguiny/Josh as poachers. In the middle I have Fyviv/Arnason playing as BBM, Luccin/Djiba as BWM-defend and Milson as DLP-support.

Strategy - Rigid(counter), pressing but cautious tackling and direct balls to rotate the possession quickly.

I didn't manage to sign McFadden, he went back to the EPL in my save. I tended not to go for the experienced players and scouted for youth. I had a massive fallout with Michael Stewart after signing him on a free in season one and not playing him in every game so I'd rather go for younger players who don't expect to play in every game. I've also not deviated from the 4-4-2 formation unless things are going seriously wrong in a match.

I'm also now 7 seasons into my game and the only player from the original squad still in my side is Fyvie, I don't rate anyone else highly enough to keep them.

Also for anyone playing as Aberdeen, two words: Agon Mehmeti. Find him, buy him. Still my club captain and still hitting at least 20 goals a season.

Long time reader of this thread, 1st time poster!

I edited the database to update all the january transfer dealings, meaning I gained the like of Anderson and Hughes whilst losing Ricky Foster.

Main Transfers In

- Ahmed Soukouna (free)

- Nicolas Dieuze (free)

- Geoffrey Tulasne (free)

- Craig Eastmond (loan)

- Ignasi Miquel (loan)

Main Transfers Out

- Michael Paton (75k)

- Darren Mackie (60k)

- Yoann Folly (100k)

1st Season Achievements

- 3rd in the league

- League Cup winners

- Scottish Cup finalists

Was very happy with the results of the 1st season. There were a number of outstanding players, most notably Tulasne, Anderson, Soukouna. Tulasne got 7 goals, 18 assists and 6 MOM's, with an average rating of 7.47. Anderson weighed in with 8 goals and 5 MOM's, and Soukouna bagged 14 goals, largely from playing AMR which was impressive, outscoring Vernon who only got 11!

Will update when I have finished my second season. For those who are wondering, I am using Caddy's (yes I'm on Ab-mad!) tactics, would highly recommend it!

My lack of internet at home means I've been away from this thread for ages, but I'm still playing. Won the Champions' League in 2018 beating Tottenham in the final, now first seeds in the group stages and this season (2018/19) we've won the group with two games to spare.

The league is now easily dominated and I finished at least 20 points clear of my nearest challengers last season.

Vast majority of my team are now regens though Fraser Fyvie is still going strong in central midfield and Agon Mehmeti still plays in cup games. Still have Callum Booth at left back but pretty much regens other than that.

Biggest thing that's happened is that right after winning the Champions' League the board decided to build a new 30,000 stadium named after me! Moving in at the end of the current season.

Goodbye Pittodrie, hello Worrall Park!

great news Worrall... great achievement!!

I am half way through my first season and 1 point clear on top. 14 match undefeated in the league and Had some big (5-0) wins on the way. Sold a lot of players and released unworthy reserves. Managed to sign Mcfadden, Xisco Nadal and Cerdan (December).

Also would advice all to sign Beil Ribas (GK)/Ellegard, freebie at start of game (2.5-3k wages) and pretty solid replacement ManCity tard.

Got to semi final of champs league, real madrid home and away took its tole and was dumped out 2 1 on agg. Board Built a new 33987 capacity stadium, which is a utter waste of money as pittodrie was expanded to 25000 and being sold out every week, going to have to ask them to expand the new one.

just won the league in my first season with Aberdeen. Damn.. It was close. What a dramatic situtation - Aberdeen and Rangers go head to head, level on points but Aberdeen on top with goal difference. Just needed a tie to win the league but my lads won it 3-1. Velikonja leading the troops again. On my save he is better than Mehmeti who joined the rival-rangers.

Got some exiciting new Bosman signings coming in next season. The era of New Firm's dominance begins!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just started a game with my hometown team on the latest patch!

Transfers In

Xisco Nadal- Free

Luigi Bruins- Free

Greg Vignal- Free

Derek Riordan- Free

Nathan Eccleston- Loan

Gerardo- Free

Guti- Free

Transfers Out

Fyvie- £1M

Whole heap of fringe players for nominal fees or free transfers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

After 13 games I remain top and undefeated with a 7 point gap between me and nearest rivals Hearts and an 11 point gap between Celtic. Hopefully I can maintain the form although we have been very lucky to win a lot of games usually saved by Guti's crossing and corners and Andersons determination to win!

Will post a proper update at seasons end, want to see this thread more active to get to 5 pages is impressive though!

Only annoying thing is the amount of debt the club took on in building the new stadium. Looks like I have the same problem as you, Aluko. Stadium isn't much bigger than Pittodrie was, though I'm not yet selling it out week in/out. I've had enough money in the bank a couple of times since taking on the debt but the club won't pay it off, meaning massive loan repayments (£354k p/m) until May 2033. I'd rather pay it off now and sell on a couple of players to balance the books.

Damn board.

How much money do you need before they'll build new stadium?

I've just won the 2014 Champions League - won 4-1 vs CSKA Moscow in the final. (No - I don't understand how I ended up with them in the final either.)

My best free transfers were Cavenaghi at end of season 1 - who I then sold for £4.9m - and Daniel Sturridge at end of season 2 - who scored in both legs of CL Semi Final vs Real Madrid. (I never would have thought of bidding for Sturridge if not for the suggestion in a staff meeting, but no one else did.)

I'll post more details later - but away to progress my game further to get my stupid board to build new stadium. My average attendance has been over 20,000 for over a season now - and they previously agreed with my request but said they couldn't fund it.

Now I am European Champion, have £29m balance, with debt cleared, and now they say they don't think I need new stadium OR an expanded stadium - even though I repeatedly get 21,421 attendance.

Think I broke this game!

I'm 4 seasons into an Aberdeen save and I must say its probably been one of the best saves I've ever had on any edition of FM, and I kinda of felt the need to share it. In each of the 4 seasons the title race has come down to the last day of the season. In my first season we went into the final game against Celtic level on points with them but 2nd on goal difference, with Rangers a point behind in third, we were well beaten 4-2 and finished in third.

But the second season was quite incredible, we went into the final game three points clear of Celtic but with a considerably worse goal difference, with Celtic winning comfortably all we needed was a point at home to 4th placed Hearts. We dominated the game finally taking the lead in the 54th minute, then Shaugnessy managed to score a bit of dodgy own goal about 10 minutes later which made for a nervy last 25. And as if I need to tell you what happened next, in the 3rd and final minute of stoppage time Hearts get a harmless free kick about 40 yards out, clip it harmlessly towards goal, into Darren Randolph's hands, who promptly drops it into his own goal. Celtic join us on 91 points, with a goal difference of +57 compared to ours of +55. Probably the most crushed I've ever been playing FM.

The next season, incredibly equalled that. Going into the final game we had 88 points with a GD of +56 and having scored 84, Celtic had 85 points with a GD of +53 having scored 80, we were away to Dundee United whilst they faced Motherwell at home. Looks hard to throw away right? After 50 minutes we were 3-0 down and Celtic were 4-1 up, it was happening again. But in the next 10 minutes we scored then Motherwell scored at Celtic Park, leaving us needing a goal to take the title, we never really looked like getting it, but in a 92nd minute counter attack Alvaro Morata, on loan from Man Utd scored a brilliant 20 yard lob, we lost 3-2, and won the SPL.

In my forth season we didnt leave it quite so late to take the title. Needing to beat Rangers on the final day we won it comfortably ( by our standards ) with a Wotherspoon goal in the 88th minute to win the game 2-1. Needless to say my aim for next season is to secure the title at least 10 minutes before the end of the season.

Btw, David Wotherspoon is an absolute must buy, got him at the end of the first season for £850k retrained him as a left winger and he has been outstanding, just won FW player of the year scoring 18 goals and getting 21 assists, and is a full Scotland international. Shane Sutherland and Ross Smith have also proven to be quality signings.

How much money do you need before they'll build new stadium?

I've just won the 2014 Champions League - won 4-1 vs CSKA Moscow in the final. (No - I don't understand how I ended up with them in the final either.)

My best free transfers were Cavenaghi at end of season 1 - who I then sold for £4.9m - and Daniel Sturridge at end of season 2 - who scored in both legs of CL Semi Final vs Real Madrid. (I never would have thought of bidding for Sturridge if not for the suggestion in a staff meeting, but no one else did.)

I'll post more details later - but away to progress my game further to get my stupid board to build new stadium. My average attendance has been over 20,000 for over a season now - and they previously agreed with my request but said they couldn't fund it.

Now I am European Champion, have £29m balance, with debt cleared, and now they say they don't think I need new stadium OR an expanded stadium - even though I repeatedly get 21,421 attendance.

Think I broke this game!

They will eventually decide to expand if you keep persisting. I finally got Pittodrie expanded to 25,000 (full possible capacity) and after two seasons of filling it for every home game they built a new 33,000 stadium, which is now being upgraded to a 48,000 stadium. We're in a fair amount of debt (over 30million being repaid over 15 years) and Milne has just injected 31million to help with the latest expansion but it will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry upthedons, haven't played on the current update yet so no advice. Though with a lack of quality fullbacks and wingers I'd probably go for a tight formation, perhaps 3-3-1-3. Who knows though, I may be talking through a hole in my bottom.

Just wanted to share a pic of Lewis Milne in 2021, after 9 years of training him and sending him out on loan I had to let him go as he wouldn't sign a new contract. But I couldn't recommend him more. A true quality Scottish prospect. Perhaps the best in the game (along with Andrew Murphy)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/milne.png/

• 4 weeks later...

well this thread has really hit a stand still, anyone playing as the dons on the new patch, if so, who do your recommend to sign? Ive tried numerous times to make a good team but i keep getting bad results and sacked by the start of the second season!

Archived