Prioritising Possession In Defence And Speed In Attack

So ho can achieve this. I play a 433 but my team seem to all be possession or all rush. Basically I want defenders to make a clear and safe pass to either an attacking CM or my D(MC) once this has been achieved I want my attacking MC's to come alive and surge forward to attack rather than being all jolly and slow. This then enables me to get them to deliver the ball with less competition to the strikers who should be able to capitalise.

I believe it can be done by setting a high tempo and high time wasting (within two clicks of each other). It means they will play fast when needed, but won't play silly passes when there is a safe option.

This thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/123088-Time-Wasting-Is-it-more-than-simply-wasting-time?highlight=time+wasting Should be able to explain better.

Edit - linked to wrong thread.

I would say you need to play with a back four and 1/2 deep lying CMs that don't surge forward and are comfortable to pass the ball around. I achieved something like this with Villarreal. The team were set up iirc:

Fluid, Control

GK defend

DR full back support

DL full back support

DCs ball playing defender defend

MCs deep lying playmaker support

AMR I think inside forward attack

AML advanced playmaker support with run with ball often.

STr deep lying forward support

STl advanced forward attack.

The team were happy to play the ball around the back four and the CMs. Once the ball is played to one of the front four, they are more direct and attacking. (I believe both due to their positioning and their willingness to run with the ball).

I think I've managed it by using Counter plus the retain possession shout. It feels like it anyway. I don't have any stats to back it up but they get forward quickly but keep possession if there aren't any gaps over overlaps to exploit. Thats with a 4-4-2 though. I think as Lucatonix suggests the MC's are key. I've got one ball winning midfielder and one playmaker though.

Is it possible to achieve this with 3 MC's... I dont have any competetive AML/R players in the team as I was trying to use a more Barcelona and modern day approach. With Shrewsbury newly promoted into Npower League 1 I don't think I'm gonna achieve Barca style football lol.

I just want the team to pretty much split in half but with the more attacking MC's to stay in MC or possibly drop back slightly and once we regain possession the defending force prioritise passing to the MC's who then need to distribute it to the strikers.

Several things you can do. Important: use the shout 'play out of defence'. Then, secondly, use the passing slider in the player instructions. Your defenders should be set to short passing (they'll be looking for your MCs instead of hiting direct passes to your attackers). For your forward players, set a more direct passing style. These two things are imo the most important for what you want to achieve. Then a slightly increased time wasting (probably highest in normal) might also help

I would make your full backs support and give your central defenders mixed try through balls. I would also have a look to check whether the MCr and MCl stay deep enough to offer themselves as a passing option to your back four. If not, perhaps give your MCr rarely run from deep but roaming which will encourage him to move around more (forwards, backwards and sideways) than without roaming being ticked.

Ok I've made those changes and the team have managed to also keep 2 clean sheets in the 2 games played with those changes. My only other real concern now is that sometimes the attackers will look to make a longer shot when there is time to run closer to the box. Any suggestions?

Archived